Login

russian armor

Learn to adapt

4 Nov 2016, 17:09 PM

Every equal or better USF player stomps me into the ground with double mortar play, rifle hordes, fast stuart and either CalliOP support or a Pershing. They always tell me I need to adapt when their units by design counter the design of my faction hard. Since I haven't encountered many Ostheer players that seem to be able to break this madness, I must resort to a thread.

So good people, help me to adapt as Ostheer, since clearly it is all me. Tell me what I can do on these perfectly designed maps against double USF mortar, riflemen hordes, a fast Stuart and either double CalliOP or a Pershing.

I myself play USF as well and notice that when I play this strat. The only weakness might be a quick double or triple gren rush towards the first mortar. I also noticed that when I put one or two units defending my mortar, this is made impossible due to the accurcy sniping of the mortar.

Thanks in advance
4 Nov 2016, 17:11 PM

How do you usually play? I mean build orders, capping orders, everything from the start. Of course every answer would have to be map dependant but look away from it this time.
4 Nov 2016, 17:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2016, 17:11 PMDanyek
How do you usually play? I mean build orders, capping orders, everything from the start. Of course every answer would have to be map dependant but look away from it this time.

I never have on usual build order, that is just plain ass boring. It depends on the map, if it is a small map I skip t1 and go double mg into double pio into double 222 into pgrens and see from there. If it is a bigger map like angoville, I get one mg followed by 3 grens, perhaps a mortar and then go t2 into one or 2 222 and a pgrens.

Unless the USF player makes a mistake, he can hold out until the first CalliOP and get lucky wipes with the sniping mortar.

4 Nov 2016, 17:25 PM

I know OST is a conservative faction, but as for capping, I would say just try to get a fuel connected and always try to harass the mortar (retreating it gives you some time to breathe + get a cutoff sometimes. Never go head-on against riflemen, the only infantry unit I go head-on with grens are just cons. Double MG is a bit dangerous but on maps full of houses can work. I very rarely get 222s as captain can equip zooks really fast and stuart can arrive really quickly after the captain has arrived. I'm a bit like you, except sometimes I skip T3 and directly go for Brummbar. Back to fighting: Always have grens near eachother, one to draw the fire and one to hide behind a shotblocker and riflenade them, if they are in cover/garrison.

Sadly I fear that this advice isn't really helpful and I'm just speaking into air. If you happen to play against USF as OST, upload a replay, maybe I'll be able to give better ideas ^^

Cheers :thumb:
4 Nov 2016, 17:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2016, 17:25 PMDanyek
I know OST is a conservative faction, but as for capping, I would say just try to get a fuel connected and always try to harass the mortar (retreating it gives you some time to breathe + get a cutoff sometimes. Never go head-on against riflemen, the only infantry unit I go head-on with grens are just cons. Double MG is a bit dangerous but on maps full of houses can work. I very rarely get 222s as captain can equip zooks really fast and stuart can arrive really quickly after the captain has arrived. I'm a bit like you, except sometimes I skip T3 and directly go for Brummbar. Back to fighting: Always have grens near eachother, one to draw the fire and one to hide behind a shotblocker and riflenade them, if they are in cover/garrison.

Sadly I fear that this advice isn't really helpful and I'm just speaking into air. If you happen to play against USF as OST, upload a replay, maybe I'll be able to give better ideas ^^

Cheers :thumb:

It can help a bit thank you.
4 Nov 2016, 17:47 PM

Every faction is map dependent, every map requires it's own specific strategies.

Build orders for a faction are most influenced by map and opponents factions, followed by commander choices for both you and your opponent.

For Ostheer I believe always having panic puma commander in your loadout is key, as well as a Tiger commander.

Since your opponent can see your loadout, if there's any options they know you don't have available (like, tigers or puma) they can adjust their build order and rush a stuart because they know you're going to be crippled at 0:00.

Things like that can actually have a huge impact on how the game plays out.
4 Nov 2016, 17:55 PM

Every faction is map dependent, every map requires it's own specific strategies.

Build orders for a faction are most influenced by map and opponents factions, followed by commander choices for both you and your opponent.

For Ostheer I believe always having panic puma commander in your loadout is key, as well as a Tiger commander.

Since your opponent can see your loadout, if there's any options they know you don't have available (like, tigers or puma) they can adjust their build order and rush a stuart because they know you're going to be crippled at 0:00.

Things like that can actually have a huge impact on how the game plays out.

I don't have the panic puma :(
4 Nov 2016, 18:01 PM

Hey at least you can use supply and get it instead of spending $$$ or relying on the RNG War Spoils of old.
4 Nov 2016, 18:23 PM

So am I brave or stupid for not using panic puma doc? :D

I'm using Mech Assault for the cheeky beeky close(r) ranged maps and Tiger / Elite Troops for mid ranged maps to get G43 + infiltration units + almost everything except Tiger Ace lol / Blitzkrieg for command P4, recon, inf sprint and AT stuka circle
4 Nov 2016, 18:23 PM

For me, i actually do well as OST in the super early game vs usf. However the parts where i struggled was when they had consistent control of their own fuel and munitions. So try to constantly cut them off, t1 ost does pretty well fighting toe to toe against other factions that have not teched as well.

Then i like to follow up with double 222 to add on pressure or a halftrack + pak gun depending on how bad my map control is. You can also consider setting up mini patches of smines on the flanks by cancelling after setting up a patch so you only spend 15 muni instead of 60
4 Nov 2016, 18:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2016, 18:23 PMDanyek
So am I brave or stupid for not using panic puma doc? :D

I'm using Mech Assault for the cheeky beeky close(r) ranged maps and Tiger / Elite Troops for mid ranged maps to get G43 + infiltration units + almost everything except Tiger Ace lol / Blitzkrieg for command P4, recon, inf sprint and AT stuka circle

Having it in your loadout and using it are two different things. :p
4 Nov 2016, 18:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sniper hasn't been mentioned on this thread :(
4 Nov 2016, 19:16 PM

Sniper hasn't been mentioned on this thread :(

With the turbo mortar lurking around? :guyokay:

I don't even get a sniper against USF since it got in the live game, too risky. You are better off with 2v1-ing lone riflemens with double grens or rushing down pinned rifles with pios.

Against UKF is a better choice in a way, that they start off with lesser squads that needs to be in cover to be effective so you can poke them till they get bored and retreat or die. But against riflemen that wouldn't work as they perform the same in cover as not in cover and with 5 mans they just rush the sniper. And microing the "shoot a guy with a sniper then run home, then go back and repeat" is not worthy against them in the current state.
4 Nov 2016, 19:30 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Hey at least you can use supply and get it instead of spending $$$ or relying on the RNG War Spoils of old.

About that: Is it actually possible to buy the mobile defenses commander? It's not in the in-games store (yes, I made it to show items that I do have) and an (admittedly superficial) search on Steam also didn't help.

Just wondering if player's that weren't around when it got distributed actually have a realistic chance of getting it. It seems to be like they don't and that's particularly weird given that it is one of the most popular OH commanders...
4 Nov 2016, 19:45 PM

Well holy crap you're right.

That's an issue then.
4 Nov 2016, 19:59 PM

Wait scratch that, I do have the panic puma, never used it before though
4 Nov 2016, 20:00 PM

I never have on usual build order, that is just plain ass boring. It depends on the map, if it is a small map I skip t1 and go double mg into double pio into double 222 into pgrens and see from there. If it is a bigger map like angoville, I get one mg followed by 3 grens, perhaps a mortar and then go t2 into one or 2 222 and a pgrens.

Unless the USF player makes a mistake, he can hold out until the first CalliOP and get lucky wipes with the sniping mortar.

So you go x2HMG and you're complaining to face mortars? In what world are you living?
Don't get me wrong, skipping T1 + 2xHMG is a viable strat, but you know you're going to face mortar so get ready for it because in some way you called for it. Imo, skipping T1 you should go 251/flam + 1 222 instead of 2x222 (or you can go 2x222 after the 251), you'll have a better AI impact, a good combined assault and you can eat him alive really quickly. Also try to upgrade a fuel or a muni, while your opponent is trying to take out your hmgs, skipping T1 make you save a good amount of MP thus invest it on your fuel.

Also you're not always in the need to build a HMG first unit. You can go 2xPio for fast capping, you can go T1 1/2/3gren and then a HMG if you need it. This speed-up your capping power, simply don't get too greedy and forced to mas retreat. Something you need to know is if your grens are in green cover and close each other, there is little chance the USF player will win the fight by charging you.

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2016, 19:16 PMDanyek

With the turbo mortar lurking around? :guyokay:

I don't even get a sniper against USF since it got in the live game, too risky. You are better off with 2v1-ing lone riflemens with double grens or rushing down pinned rifles with pios.

Sniper can be build after your grens, you don't always need it 1st unit on the field. You can even build a sniper after T2 if your opponent spent heavily on infantry.

4 Nov 2016, 20:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2016, 20:00 PMEsxile
Sniper can be build after your grens, you don't always need it 1st unit on the field. You can even build a sniper after T2 if your opponent spent heavily on infantry.

I didn't say that you must never make snipers. But it's not always the best choice. Really map and enemy build order dependant.

And even if I go for sniper I go gren-gren-sniper (then I don't build HMG). I just said that it is/can be really risky.
4 Nov 2016, 21:51 PM

Moving mg's constantly is typically a must in most USF games. I typically have 2 mgs going in my early build. Mech Assault is great for supressing and closing with assault grens.

Retreating constantly to regroup for a counter attack. Don't waste MP on engagements you know you will lose. Even if it means losing territory. Surviving to mid or early mid game can make all the difference in the game for Ostheer.

Get a sniper in mid game, especially when its double USF. Don't get one at the start.

Scopes are great against USF. USF typically relies on surprise flanks, both Ostheer doctrines with scopes are great doctrines especially if your mate is OKW with command panther and you go command p4, double the benefits for your units.

Veto maps like Karkov, crossing in the woods, semoksy, hamlet, and edlbruck station. Those are the worst maps in 2v2. especially the first 3 i listed, they are too small and make countering the mortar tough. The more coverage a unit has (especially indirect units) on a map the harder it is to get to it.
4 Nov 2016, 22:17 PM

About that: Is it actually possible to buy the mobile defenses commander? It's not in the in-games store (yes, I made it to show items that I do have) and an (admittedly superficial) search on Steam also didn't help.

Just wondering if player's that weren't around when it got distributed actually have a realistic chance of getting it. It seems to be like they don't and that's particularly weird given that it is one of the most popular OH commanders...

The Defensive "Community" Commander (and the Soviet equivalent) is gained by registering your Steam-account's email address with Relic. This is possible ingame, if you haven't already done so. There is no other way of getting it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★