Login

russian armor

Balance suggestions for all factions

6 Oct 2016, 10:55 AM

I'm playing this game now since the beta launched and I think the balance is in need of some adjustments again, I'm playing all factions equally but definitely noticed that it has become significantly harder to play as Axis.

I just made a little list of the balance issues and would be interested in the opinion of other long term players.

Especially with OKW I kinda get the same feeling when playing vs USF or Soviets that I had when I had to face Volksschreck blobs and King Kubel as USF in the past.

Especially in 2v2 USF has become a cakewalk, I easily reached top50 while only matching with randoms,with OKW I can't even get close to the top100, it becomes almost impossible and your enemy needs to make serious mistakes or lose squads for you to have a chance.

USF issues (also pointed out by Dane in his cast) :

-Veterancy is just too good, they overbuffed them and we're at the same spot now when OKW had the broken Volks veterancy, it's just spam without using cover and everything gets literally melted in seconds while Axis units do almost no damage.
The double LMGs wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't for that insane vet.

-Stuart shouldn't be able to snipe infantry and stun even the heaviest tanks, this thing absolutely outperforms its same cost counterparts extremely well, plus the crew gets instant repair.

-Mortar, the mortar is simply broken, it's not equal to the Ostheer mortar, but outperforms it massively especially in speed terms, USF didn't really need it and now they can literally counter static Ostheer even easier without flanking or smoke.
Meanwhile the Russian standard mortar is still trash.

-AT gun needs a price increase, it's now like a 6 pounder or PAK with a wider arc of fire.

-The Commanders, the Calliope commander is too rewarding, I find myself picking it almost every time while also most people I play with or against almost exclusively use this one because it has everything you need, the LMGs should be removed and replaced with something else to encourage diversity a bit.

The Airborne Commander is just lackluster, everything here comes too late and is too expensive (looking at you Paths), the P47 is too expensive for what it does in its nerfed state, you can just drive out of its range in 2 seconds.

When it comes to OKW, Battlegroup HQ is a problem because it's just not worth it and ultimately is nothing but an overpriced healing bunker now.

The ISG is weird,most of the time it doesn't hit or damage anything and is only good for countering emplacements (at which it is great) but sometimes it just wipes whole squads with one hit, something is off here, it needs a more consistent performance, especially considering the 9pop cap and the 330 price tag.

The Raketenwerfer just shouldn't always hit the ground, apart from that it's actually quite good, if it should get a real buff it needs the cloak removed.

About the Soviets, they have seen a strong buff and they're still not in the right spot, diversity is lacking.
Every Soviet match is the same with the players going Guards Motor, Penals into Guards into T34/85, it's really hard to lose with that combo on most maps.

First issue are penals, I was happy to finally see those poor bastards buffed, but now they seem almost too good, they're literally a 6 man rifle squad that comes with a flamer and strong vet, means they become a devastating unit just roasting all Axis inf in seconds, the flamer seriously needs to be removed and replaced with something else or they need a slight accuracy nerf again.

Cons on the other hand are still as bad as always, they got the price going for them but apart from that nothing else, no upgrades, no scaling and expensive tech (AT nades and Mol) just to make full use of them, they need non doctrinal upgrades that would already lead to a lot more diversity.

Mortar, as I already said the Russian mortar is pretty poor (or maybe it's more like a mortar should be, not wiping everything in seconds but dealing significant damage only).

T70, simply too good, I use it almost every single game and it snipes everything in seconds, retreating units can't get away due to to high fire rate and accuracy on the move either.

SU-76 this one is probably controversial but you probably don't see many T34s on the field this is simply due to the fact that the SU-76 is just so damn cost efficient, it can take on any Axis tank while also having a free (and long!) barrage ability, I was also happy about the buff to it but now it's just too good and most people completely rely on it and never get T4, it could at least use a penetration nerf to make T4 more viable.

Last but not least, Guards, they've become too spamable and are just a tick to devastating against infantry that's why everyone just relies on spaming them nowadays, maybe the damage of the PTRS against Inf should be lowered again.

Let's not forget Ostheer then, Ostheer has always been the most balanced faction, the only thing that really underperforms here is T4, it's too expensive,too late and absolutely not worth it, it has been discussed a thousand times but the Panther is just underperforming compared to other tanks, especially the Comet.
Everything else seems kinda in place though.

About the Brits, there's not too much to say about them, they have an issue with veterancy as wells, it rewards blobbing and is somewhat like CoH 1 with a blob of Tommies and Sappers rolling over Axis tanks and inf.

The Cromwell could use a slight increase in price to match the P4.

What are your opinions and suggestions?

6 Oct 2016, 11:05 AM
6 Oct 2016, 12:48 PM
Donator 11

well, you are right with pretty much all of your points, unfortunately this thread wont change anything, like the 1000 threads before :(
jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2016, 10:55 AMTasty

the only thing that really underperforms here is T4, it's too expensive,too late and absolutely not worth it

yes, the panther underperforms (my suggestion: slightly higher rof and most importantly higher acc on move). but imo the pz4 could use a penetration buff, the ostwind an accuracy buff, pgrens an armor buff (maybe buy 1.5 armor for 60 muns? (cant get schreck then)) and the mg42 an supression aoe buff: its good enough against one squad, but i feel its missing the punch against multiple clumped up squads
6 Oct 2016, 13:09 PM

Great job, would love these things applied. Also I would love to see the KV1 get a purpose and a definitive role and or hp buff. Cons just need an upgrade, like ppsh or 1 dp.
8 Oct 2016, 00:44 AM
Vaz
9 Oct 2016, 01:52 AM

Can I see some of your replays? I'm not having the same experience as you. I hear people here going on about that USF mortar, but it sucks to me. Rifles melt stuff once they are vet 3 with dual lmg, yea. Outside of that...I don't see their superiority. Please show me.
9 Oct 2016, 03:33 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Lol, Panther underperforms?

It's superior to the comet, especially when reaching vet 2/3. Panther is fine. T4 is good if you don't lose tanks, but sometimes you've got to lose tanks and be aggressive.
9 Oct 2016, 03:48 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Lol, Panther underperforms?

It's superior to the comet, especially when reaching vet 2/3. Panther is fine. T4 is good if you don't lose tanks, but sometimes you've got to lose tanks and be aggressive.

Comet is better rounded and doesn't suffer the atrocious penalties while moving unlike the Panther which needs to face with all three MGs to get some respectable, if more consistent AI in. Furthermore, while Comet doesn't get as powerful veterancy it gets god-like WP shells that nuke ATGs and infantry and that DOT will kill.

The Ostheer Panther in most cases doesn't offer much however, as T3 Stug Gs deal DPS much better, are cheaper, and the Ostheer Panther itself is terrible at its role at chasing/running down vehicles and any misses penalize it's long reload and mediocre damage. It's not even that great at killing heavies/advanced medium which is part of its role given it outranges them and has good penetration, but lacks damage.

Ostheer Panther could use either all or a combination:

-Better accuracy to help it hit units to make its low DPS matter(on-par with TDs)
-Better moving accuracy to allow it to use its mobility to run down vehicles rather than missing most of the time and going for a long reload.
-Possibly better damage to differentiate it from StuGs and make it excel at dealing with heavies/advanced mediums which are its intended targets.
-Use the heavy tank voice-lines because there are Panther lines there.
9 Oct 2016, 03:53 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

-Use the heavy tank voice-lines because there are Panther lines there.

Balance suggestions or a mod patch notes for the unaware? :lol:
9 Oct 2016, 08:59 AM

Brits need a mobile mortar, end of story.

You've only faced against Brits and not played with them so that's why you only suggest a nerf to the Cromwell in your (Axis) favor.

And yes, me and multiple other people have suggested it before, make the emplacement just that, a garrisonable emplacement, put a mobile mortar team in the 2nd building, boom, problem solved. Mortar can get bonuses like the Vickers when vet 1 and garrisoned but that does not mean it should get crippling bonuses it cannot do without.

Apart from that, both Axis Armies need buffs, not or just OKW or Wehrmacht alone.
9 Oct 2016, 10:37 AM
Donator 11

In most suggestions you are right. But mind one thing: the fact that you have better rank with one faction than another is no proof of ballance - you are simply better with one than another. The 100 people above you somehow do manage to defeat top 100 allies, do they not?

Also mind that even though these suggestions are mostly right implementing all of them would couse the ballance to completely go the other way round.
9 Oct 2016, 11:01 AM

Permanently Banned
Playercard pls OpieOP. Even soviet are OP in you thread :p.
9 Oct 2016, 11:14 AM
Donator 11

Could you please put your own playercard where it belongs before asking others for it?
9 Oct 2016, 11:17 AM

Permanently Banned

Could you please put your own playercard where it belongs before asking others for it?

Do you see a button with face in logo pic near posts numbers and flag ?
9 Oct 2016, 11:23 AM
Donator 11

Do you see a button with face in logo pic near posts numbers and flag ?

I'm sorry but you heve neither a playercard nor a flag there. Are they set to private in your profile by any chance?
9 Oct 2016, 11:24 AM

Permanently Banned

I'm sorry but you heve neither a playercard nor a flag there. Are they set to private in your profile by any chance?

I dunno, settings are fine in profile. https://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198039800677
9 Oct 2016, 14:13 PM

Just added it for the curious, my ranks dropped a bit again though, just scratching the 100 again in 2v2.

I never said Soviets are OP, they're not but lacking diversity mainly because Cons are just so incredibly bad in the current meta that they're good for nothing but re-crewing, merging or flanking in the early game (though they deal such low damage that even this is ineffective at times).
Cons need upgrades that are not packed into commanders that are otherwise bad.

Guards are simply too spamable and will just melt the small Axis elite squads, it's all you'll see in higher ranked games, Shocks in comparison are useless on 3/4 of all maps and barely anyone uses them ever because Penals are ten times more efficient while being cheaper.

Soviets should be allowed to play more diverse and with combined arms without losing the game instantly, Cons could be the way to achieve that.
9 Oct 2016, 16:26 PM

These days I get to flex my sweet sweet H ranks. :snfQuinn:
9 Oct 2016, 17:27 PM

Well...
Within the usual USF whining, at least this guy acknowledges Airborne could use a few buffs, it's better than what I usually read around here.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 32
Peru 23
unknown 18
United Kingdom 203
Germany 38
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W