Login

russian armor

A noob's questions & stumbling blocks.

3 Oct 2016, 16:09 PM

Hey - This post is likely to see some edits as I learn more. I'm not sure what the best way to go about finding what I need to find, so I'm just going to describe the capabilities/things I want to do & my understanding of how to do it (if I have one). I want to do more than a balance/tweak of the current game. It seems to me I will have to write the armies from the ground up (borrowing where I can of course).

So, without further ado, noob questions are go:

Damage/health model: Where would I go to make big changes? More than say editing weapon DPS or model health? Say I want to come up with a new system for tanks based on deflections & overmatch of enemy weapon (EX, say a sherman is guarenteed 3 defelctions vs an equivalent tank like a P4 but a tiger with it's 88 would count as two deflections per shot.) Or if I wanted to have shields & HP separate VS doing funky HP math.

Writing essentially new armies: I've begun to dabble in creating grouppaks based on cloning stuff from existing armies. Without doubt I need to spend more time learning here. But things I have't found on the forums include editing tech trees entirely. I feel like I'm missing a bit of understanding going from the examples & guides to getting a 'new army with new units & weapons'

Unit models & animations: This is a stretch goal. What kind of capabilities do we have in this regard?

______

I have more reading to do. :) I'll be posting my stumbling blocks here, please comment if you have advice! Sometimes all I need is a bit of conversation to make something click.

3 Oct 2016, 17:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think SCAR (SCripting At Relic) coding will be what you need to do anything really significantly different like that in gameplay. Past that, I can tell you no more for that is basically all I know about SCAR myself.
3 Oct 2016, 20:15 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Damage/health model: Where would I go to make big changes? More than say editing weapon DPS or model health? Say I want to come up with a new system for tanks based on deflections & overmatch of enemy weapon (EX, say a sherman is guarenteed 3 defelctions vs an equivalent tank like a P4 but a tiger with it's 88 would count as two deflections per shot.) Or if I wanted to have shields & HP separate VS doing funky HP math.

I don't know a lot about SCAR either, but I can tell you that what you are planning is most likely impossible with the Attribute Editor. You should have a look at the SCAR documentation: http://fortresseuropemod.com/scardoc/

Writing essentially new armies: I've begun to dabble in creating grouppaks based on cloning stuff from existing armies. Without doubt I need to spend more time learning here. But things I have't found on the forums include editing tech trees entirely. I feel like I'm missing a bit of understanding going from the examples & guides to getting a 'new army with new units & weapons'

The only possibility is cloning one of the existing armies, replacing its base buildings with custom buildings producing custom units. You should start in the AE's 'army' category!

Unit models & animations: This is a stretch goal. What kind of capabilities do we have in this regard?

None, sadly.
6 Oct 2016, 13:20 PM

Thanks Planet Smasher & Vuther!
6 Oct 2016, 14:22 PM

I don't know a lot about SCAR either, but I can tell you that what you are planning is most likely impossible with the Attribute Editor. You should have a look at the SCAR documentation: http://fortresseuropemod.com/scardoc/

This seems really cool, and scripting is right down my alley.

Do you have any information about where to find:
- The scar scripts that the attribute editor references (e.g., UKF medic auto-heal references the AE_heal scar function. Through a lucky guess, I discovered that the script acts as a proxy to call the medic heal ability)
- a step-by-step guide about how to create a new scar script and add it to a tuning mod?

Assuming I get to grips with scar, do you think it will be possible to implement some of the following:
- Force a particular <hardpoint> (e.g., Churchill cannon) to attack a specific squad
- Force a particular entity or weapon type (e.g., schrecks) to only auto-fire vs vehicles (i.e., handheld AT prioritisation)

It just didn't register to me that LUA scripting was an option to augment gameplay, in the first place.
6 Oct 2016, 17:09 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

As far as I know, the only help Relic provides is their "Essence Engine Wiki", which has about one or two dozen pages in total:
http://modding.companyofheroes.com/

I can't code in Lua, so I haven't worked with SCAR at all yet. If someone can help you with that, it would probably be eliw00d or Contrivance!
7 Oct 2016, 13:36 PM

Is it possible to adjust the max view height for the camera? Is this a performance or stability limitation? I'd like to add some length to the combat in CoH2 but I don't want to make it hard to see a unit & what it is shooting at without moving your view.
7 Oct 2016, 14:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Is it possible to adjust the max view height for the camera? Is this a performance or stability limitation? I'd like to add some length to the combat in CoH2 but I don't want to make it hard to see a unit & what it is shooting at without moving your view.

This is definitely possible, Janne252 made a mod called CheatCommands which adds gamemodes in custom games with testing options and allows the camera to zoom out much farther.

...still can't tell ya how, don't know that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★