Login

russian armor

Can we have more strategy guides for Brits and OKW?

25 Aug 2016, 11:58 AM

Why don't we have more strategy guides for the British and the OKW? I mean even the USF have 7 guides (2 were commanders and units guide) while Ostheer have 4, Soviet have 5. 

The British literally have none while OKW only have 1 guide related to Spec Ops commander even though there has been quite some interesting strategies envolve other commanders. I really want to learn how to use OKW commanders effectively since I have been learning how to play them recently, especially related to specific build orders and how should I play when picking this or that commander.‎
25 Aug 2016, 12:06 PM

Because WFA and UKF lack strategical flexibility of EFA and for the most part are just one trick meta ponies, you can try something else, but its usually ineffective.

EFA on the contrary, you have multiple BOs and valid strats, these factions are also harder to play then WFA and UKF because of power creep, so they need more strats depending on opponent and map, while WFA and UKF can execute the same 2 things everywhere.
25 Aug 2016, 20:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 12:06 PMKatitof
Because WFA and UKF lack strategical flexibility of EFA and for the most part are just one trick meta ponies, you can try something else, but its usually ineffective.

EFA on the contrary, you have multiple BOs and valid strats, these factions are also harder to play then WFA and UKF because of power creep, so they need more strats depending on opponent and map, while WFA and UKF can execute the same 2 things everywhere.

No, its because the guide community is dead not because the factions are shallow.
25 Aug 2016, 21:10 PM

Can we just have more guide overall ?
25 Aug 2016, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 12:06 PMKatitof

Yep pretty much this.
25 Aug 2016, 21:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 20:49 PMUnited

No, its because the guide community is dead not because the factions are shallow.

This.

I cannot disagree more with Katitof, for example, I didn't even know I could play like the Soviet Armored Assault tactics with the British vanguard on a larger scale, I can both cap and repair my tanks without the need from any sort of infantry whatsoever, I can maintain a full-blown vehicle (tank) Army without any infantry support.

Of course that'd be hard to do in 1v1 and 2v2 games but it's valid in 3v3s and 4v4s.

Still, saying they're shallow (which he did not, but let's take it as that's what he meant) is pure bullshit.

But then again most competitive players cheer more for the vanilla Armies more than they do for the Western Front ones so no surprise there.
26 Aug 2016, 00:22 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Theres some general reasons why we dont have alot more NEW text guides in general, A lot of the CURRENT strategists here are:

1. burned out on the game/dont play nearly enough to write a guide

2. arent going to write a big guide just so a patch can force them to rewrite it, which runs into 3,

3. Just dont care anymore :snfPeter:

4. MOSTLY just lazy/unmotivated ;) HOWEVER, we are ALL unpaid volunteers. So im not gonna slap people in the face, threaten them and their family with their job, etc for not doing guides because that would be some stalin level shit and its the last thing any admin, or I want to be..

So, lets talk about #4 and money for a second.

Yeah, theres no pay or donation systems for guides or anything. Yeah, before this thread is turned into a massive shitpost about coh2.org moneygrabbing, im fully aware that this is a fansite, and The point of a fansite, the point of doing everything here... is just for doing it out of love. Keep in mind this is also almost my second year of doing this coh2.org thing for free and simply because I love seeing people excited that they're getting better, learned something new etc.

even though at times working on stuff with this site takes up a disproportionate amount of time for the pay back(which is nothing in my case :snfPeter: ) i've never and still dont ask for a penny. Just being a little bit helpful for some newb gives me a special type of high that keeps me going and coming back each day.

HOWEVER, i also know that not everyone is motivated like me, understandably.

i would love to offer people the opportunity to share their knowledge, and write out a good ol OKW guide and whatnot and get a little change/money love for it. Right now I dont have that motivational ammo though.

With all the "COh2.oRG LOVES TO POCKET DONATIONS111!" etc that goes around, NATURALLY, its a touchy subject to push for a donation system on guides.

and I didnt want to write a we're poor send monies sobstory, expecting pity..I hate talking like this I really do. but bear with me here...

a good length, well written TEXT guide is no joke in terms of work...from actual playtesting the guide to see if it actually works, to the writing of the content, to the pictures, to the editing(oh god the editing) to the art...all of it for free. If a team of people on a guide could get 10-30-50 bucks or something for working on a guide??? Holy shit.

I know personally, id sleep very easy at night, and you'd likely see alot more guides i bet!!! and everything would be great!! Its the same issue all around the site. Money, money money. Compensation, compensation, compensation.

So Maybe one of these days ill start a poll as to whether or not the community here would deem a donation system for the authors/artists of a guide acceptable/something that they;d be interested in supporting...as far as I know, its never been done obviously, or discussed because despite the claim, oh let me add, quite frankly ridiculous claim that we all are just money grabbing, milking coh2....

FOR THE MOST PART(see next paragraph)we DO our jobs, this whole thing, this whole site, out of love for the game and the community, we really do. I dont know how much more I can emphasize that or prove it, but its the truth.

But, the more work, pressure, etc we(as Admins) put on VOLUNTEER staff members to make good content, the more "wheres my compensation" or "why should I do this shit during my free time, whats in it for me" becomes the elephant in the room, the thing that stops progress(like alot more guides, or a new SNF). Everything here requires TIME and energy! Its requires peoples time!!!!!

so TLDR, it doesnt matter how pure your heart is, how little you want money etc, sometimes you want some sort of reward for the hard work you do.

I'd literally love to see coh2.org giving out wages and shi for guides. So a donation system would be very sexy. anyway.....enough moneygrabbing sobstory, lets talk about why theres no brit/okw guides..

Why don't we have more strategy guides for the British and the OKW? I mean even the USF have 7 guides (2 were commanders and units guide) while Ostheer have 4, Soviet have 5. 

The British literally have none while OKW only have 1 guide related to Spec Ops commander even though there has been quite some interesting strategies envolve other commanders. I really want to learn how to use OKW commanders effectively since I have been learning how to play them recently, especially related to specific build orders and how should I play when picking this or that commander.‎

The state of the factions combined with the above issues for the longest time dont help us. The reason you never see an OKW guide, or a british guide, is because OKW for literally ever, and british even now... were simply braindead factions.

Did you really want a guide on how to use shrek volks, make a forward simcity, kite with a luchs and throw flame nades? Do you really want a guide on how to put down emplacements? Thats pretty much the extent of both of those factions until you reach the ultra high level,( where of course, if you want to improve, a guide wont help you. A mentor/high level friend will)

They are just not very deep factions strategy or philosophy wise. compared to EFA/USF. USF is even bordering on braindead nowadays, but USF before was tough to play which is why you see guides on them.

Now saying ALL that, now that oKW has been reworked into a less retarded faction, we should totally push for more OKW guides. However I dont know of anyone on staff that can do anything consistent with OKW, as the common meme with OKW is that they're absoulute trash/#literallyunplayable etc(and I agree completely with that)

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 20:49 PMUnited

Slightly true...but again I think its motivation above anything else.

to end my wall of text.
If theres anyone, ANYONE out there that can write well, and is expierienced with a faction and wants to share some strategy love to help noobz l2p.....

plz, plz, plz. contact me by PM!

And what would you guys think of donations for guides and GUIDES staff only? Please let me know!
26 Aug 2016, 00:53 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

snip

I aint gettin' paid enough to read all this, what's the TL;DR?
26 Aug 2016, 02:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2016, 00:53 AMTobis

I aint gettin' paid enough to read all this, what's the TL;DR?

That brits, prokw and the overbuffed USF are easy modo.
26 Aug 2016, 02:19 AM

* Wall of texts that I spent 5 minutes reading but hesitated in quoting all of them"

I understand the page staffs' problems. We are not pets that can give away free amusing stuffs for the rest of our lives for nothing in return‎. A reward for contributing something to a comunity is always needed and appreciated! So I would completely agree with the donation idea. Maybe like Patreon so you guys can get help more frequently and consistently! 

However, if you guys are going for the donation idea, then remember that there will need to be something in return for community. Just start out small with something that you guys comfortable with then go big later on. I would love to help this community grow if I can improved my economy situation (An unemployed bastard who is spending the remaining savings on hospital bills... yeah...) but I bet there are people would want (or would just willing) to spend few dollars per months for the page. And with nearly 17000 members registered already, I say go for it, man! Those that disagree can go F themselves (Not really, jk :) ).‎

26 Aug 2016, 02:29 AM

That brits, prokw and the overbuffed USF are easy modo.

OKW isn't that pro anymore, actually. On the non-professional player base, I haven't seen an OKW player that can manage to win the Allies player that have the same level of skill. I don't want to say that the patch kills them, it just that their lack of tools to deal with LVs rush or way to keep infantry when choosing either go Med or Mec, respectively, are what harming them. 

I already brought up an idea (Which not the best, would require some overlook but basically could possibly work: https://www.coh2.org/topic/55881/idea-okw-the-second-ostheer ) but for now, I would rather want strategy guides for specific commanders (like the Spec Ops one) than another revamp that could possibly turn things worse.

26 Aug 2016, 07:32 AM

Well currently I´m working about 1 british guide - its content it still inder NDA, but the progress is rather slow because it is only my hobby and I have also school, family, friends, playing coh2 and ofcourse helping in state office.

And it doesnt look like, but it is a lot of work like cookiez already mentioned.

I dont think paying is the right thing, but maybe donating - adding some donate button under guide to its creator, editor and artist like most of streamers have would be cool
26 Aug 2016, 08:05 AM

Well currently I´m working about 1 british guide - its content it still inder NDA, but the progress is rather slow because it is only my hobby and I have also school, family, friends, playing coh2 and ofcourse helping in state office.

And it doesnt look like, but it is a lot of work like cookiez already mentioned.

I dont think paying is the right thing, but maybe donating - adding some donate button under guide to its creator, editor and artist like most of streamers have would be cool

At least that I know there is one underway, just take your time! I was just wondering, not like I want it to be pumped out immediately.

No matter at what sizes and forms, I think the donation idea is great. Again, rewards for people that actually contributed something (along with their times and efforts) to a community is very much necessary and appreciated!
26 Aug 2016, 08:20 AM
Senior Referee Badge

This is actually.... a pretty good idea!
26 Aug 2016, 08:49 AM

This is actually.... a pretty good idea!

thank you sir
26 Aug 2016, 15:48 PM

I fear that the OP is entirely correct that there is a glaring lack of up-to-date guides; not just for Brits and OKW, but for all factions.

Theoretically, the staff could start pumping out guides for every faction-commander combination there exists. However, that would be a waste of time for everyone involved:
- The people writing the guides (duh)
- The people reading the guides, since they have to sift through 100's of them to get started.

For starters, it would really help if people could identify what kind of guides they are looking for.

In my opinion, the best guide on the site so far (even though it's a bit outdated) is DevM's USF without Tears guide
https://www.coh2.org/guides/44135/devm-s-usf-without-tears

This is because this is a combination of the following types of guides:
- In-depth unit guide (what to build, what to pass, what goes well with what)
- A discussion on possible openers (and their individual merits)
- A discussion about countering the most common deadly threats (e.g., sniper)
- A discussion about the late-game (which commanders synergize best with the faction)

However, I don't think that the same format would be sufficient for the other 4 factions.

This is because USF is an early-game faction, with very limited late-game options. OST/Brits/OKW have a very wide array of late-game options (and combinations) that even a newbie needs to know to get to grips with them.

However, the question is: what kind of a late-game topics should faction guides cover?
26 Aug 2016, 16:09 PM

However, the question is: what kind of a late-game topics should faction guides cover?

I think early-to-mid-game guides for Ost, UKF and OKW are always welcome though. I understand your point about the late-game since I mean at least people can just get the Panther as Ost and OKW while Comet as Brits. But that is mainly how most non-professional players go and I think some of them actually want to try out other combinations that the pros have been doing recently. 

I'm not asking for like every single pro players to write their own guides but at least guides that help cover early-to-mid-game stages with strategies related to specific commanders (Like I have heard someone go no volks but with the Breakthrough Doctrine, he just held on with Sturms and Kubel then go for Panzerfusilliers, for example) and just leave the late-game open for discussion (Or as a specific guide for late-game only since most of the time, commanders won't effect your tanks build orders all that much). That just my idea though, and it would take time, of course, but I can wait, no need to rush, and probably a donation system that has been proposed above would help people that actualy put time into a guide feel being appreciated.

26 Aug 2016, 16:12 PM

I think early-to-mid-game guides for Ost, UKF and OKW are always welcome though. I understand your point about the late-game since I mean at least people can just get the Panther as Ost and OKW while Comet as Brits. But that is mainly how most non-professional players go and I think some of them actually want to try out other combinations that the pros have been doing recently. 

I'm not asking for like every single pro players to write their own guides but at least guides that help cover early-to-mid-game stages with strategies related to specific commanders (Like I have heard someone go no volks but with the Breakthrough Doctrine, he just held on with Sturms and Kubel then go for Panzerfusilliers, for example) and just leave the late-game open for discussion (Or as a specific guide for late-game only since most of the time, commanders won't effect your tanks build orders all that much). That just my idea though, and it would take time, of course, but I can wait, no need to rush, and probably a donation system that has been proposed above would help people that actualy put time into a guide feel being appreciated.

I have but only in 2v2. Havent tried in 1v1, tho maybe it's time to do it today...
____
Yup, I just tried vs guy with 0.560 ratto as USF. Despite the fact that I thre away Luchs and Stuka on M20 mines it was really realix game. Fusilier just raped Rifles while double SP with schrecks dealt with M20, AAHT and Stuart.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★