Login

russian armor

Too much units lost...

11 Aug 2016, 12:32 PM

Hi mates,

Losing far too much games and having the feeling not to progress enough, I realize that main reason is not really an absence of knowledge of different units and technics, not a very bad use of cover, neither a very poor tech order, but very simply that I lose far too much units during fight.
It isn't rare at all for me, to lose 8 or 10 units during a short 30' game.
In those conditions, game is of course lost, whatever I can do, in a good or bad way.
Most of the time, I'm still struggling with infantry, when two T34 or Cromwells reach the battlefield (I play OKW) .

So, my question is how I could improve this essential part of the game ?
Checking regularly (very regularly ?) the top right of the screen ?
Using space barre to jump regularly from event to event ?
..... ?

How did you improve your preservation mates ?
Have you got some concret tips ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

11 Aug 2016, 13:10 PM

snip

How did you improve your preservation mates ?

I often use the minimap (it's not your enemy to forget it), in full screen of course, alongside with the corner unit list, so I can see every fight and retreat units in danger.

Well, I've also had that problem, I used to engage in fights I cannot win. When I stopped it, my unit preservation significantly increased. And if you are defending and see the enemy units are outnumbering your troops, just retreat. There's no point in fighting a battle that you know you won't won.

For the tank part, harass the enemy fuel cutoff very often (if you have free squads and can do it, don't take away fighting squads), and if you feel that the opponent is going to bring out a tank soon, just get a raketen (and if you see it, and fear raketen is not enough just get a schreck for the spio).

These are basic stuff, but maybe a strategist can give you much better tips :)
11 Aug 2016, 13:20 PM

pretty sure I lost more units than you xD, but in addition to what Danyek already pointed, I use control groups, and that help me with the unit preservation thing, as doble click over a control group, in example "1" and screen jump directly to the units in that group....so you can jump from one fight to another in no time...

anyway, I think unit preservation is a matter of practice....the more games you play, the more sense you will have about wich of your units need more babysitting in a game....I mean, if in a side of the map you have a volks in cover in a long range fight againts a IS squad in cover, and at same time, you have other volks behing cover fighting an aproaching RIFLE squad trying to close the gap, then you know you need to keep an eye on this second volks squad becasue, once, the rifle squad is on short range you know your volks will start to die really fast....

That is kind of things I think when having more than one fight running at same time...

Excuse my bad english, studying to improve it.....
11 Aug 2016, 13:24 PM

Go in with a plan. I only ever engage knowing what I aim to accomplish, being realistic about it, and with any luck calculating just how much is an acceptable risk. Once my forces have suffered from attrition I'm constantly gauging whether or not I can achieve my targets or if I have to withdraw, being ever so mindful of if my opponents force is multiplying or if they have a surprise in store, ie. T70's waiting to mow down retreating troops.
11 Aug 2016, 13:45 PM

Thanks mates for your help :-)
But I have the feeling that most of units I lose, are not the one I am microing, but more units elsewhere. Most of the time I hear that I lost a unit I wasn't paying attention. It's this part I have real difficulty with.
11 Aug 2016, 14:11 PM

two things that helped me:

1 - play a few games where you don't worry about winning but merely keeping all units alive for the whole game. you probably won't win and you'll probably be way too defensive but it'll at least teach you when you need to retreat and when you can be aggressive.

2 - play WM with a sniper or two. snipers are very fragile if caught out of position and very micro-intensive... you'll find your micro will improve with everything just by practicing with snipers.

the majority of time squad wipes are caused by overextension... trying playing a little more conservatively and see how that helps.
11 Aug 2016, 14:55 PM

Thanks mates for your help :-)
But I have the feeling that most of units I lose, are not the one I am microing, but more units elsewhere. Most of the time I hear that I lost a unit I wasn't paying attention. It's this part I have real difficulty with.

It happens to everyone at all levels, you need to build your personal unit check rotation. Usually it happens because you've been outplayed, your opponent has a better Action per minute rate or you get too much focused on something and forget the rest of the map (happens to me).

-If you are losing units everywhere in the map where you're not focusing that's mean you opponent does bring focus and attention at those areas thus he is outplaying/outmicroying you (he brings better micro in less time than you) and outmacroing you (he has a wiser vision of the match than you).
-Try to count how long time you stay focused on the same unit, it is probably a high number, try to reduce it.
-APM, action per minute or CPM, click per minute. Many people say it is not that much relevant in this game, which is true to a certain extend, you don't have to perma click like in starcraft, but you may need to raise you APM in order to force you to improve your multitasking in game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★