Login

russian armor

Penalties for abusive /quit .

31 Jul 2016, 22:27 PM
Donator 11

Of course it's inconsiderate, the same way the whole premise of this topic is based on a very selfish sentiment.

If this is selfish then how selfish is leaving the game just becouse you don't like the map, you start to loose or play against specific strategy/faction? If you play automatch with random teammates, you agree to have random teammates, opponent and map. There are other modes for people who doesn't agree on this.

There is also a fair surrender option there to be used. This is a proper way of ending the game if you feel you can't make it, that's why it was implemented in first place. Leave option is just for people who really can't play to the end of match becouse of some urgency and don't want to leave the team with player afk. These people won't be hurt by 10 minute penalty.

Even the people who just have bad connections won't be hurt that much, as match waiting time for good players is just as long or, for really good ones, much longer than that. Only the ones who jump from game to game waiting for conjunction of planets in a match will get hit but they should as they are parasites of the playerbase.
1 Aug 2016, 00:13 AM

Maybe for you it's no problem to wait 10 minutes+ another 4 or 5 for the MM to get you a game again, but it will be for allot of people.

I'm not really sure how it would be a large problem. If it's a rare thing, let's say once every 2-3 months, the loss of 10min of game time is probably worth not encountering as many leavers. Additionally, the people who want to play a legitimate game have the exact same problem when someone leaves; they need to wait the 4-5 min to get another match (and then hope someone doesn't leave).

Also the game itself crashing should i also consider not playing the team matches because the game is unstable and has server side problems?

How often does this actually happen? In something like 150 matches I had probably 1 crash and one strange 'de-sync' thing where the game didn't start. With a 10min cooldown applied to leaving, and at an average of 20min per game, that's 50hrs of game-time per 20min of cooldown; about 0.67% down time. And that's assuming you could have re-queued instantly - if it was a hard-crash you have restart time, and if your internet is down, that could last a while.

People have put allot of money into this game and then they get screwed over like that? You must surely be joking.

But those same people are getting impacted by other players leaving their games. Some people can't play 10 games a day; they might only have the time for 1 or 2 matches. Is it fair that their small window of time can be impacted so negatively?

Of course it's inconsiderate, the same way the whole premise of this topic is based on a very selfish sentiment.

But similarly, it's inconsiderate to those who can only play for a short period of time. They just want to play a match or two, but instead they might get 2-3 "5 minute matches" in which their teammate drops for no real reason.

It's a complicated issue, for sure; but there's a surprisingly large group of players that leave games for no real reason, and it impacts a lot of people. I'm sure a lot of people would like to have the confidence to say that each match will be enjoyable, but as is, there's a fairly large chance that someone will drop from team-games.
1 Aug 2016, 01:31 AM

Absolutely not.

When you play random teams, you take the risks. If I get a bad teammate I should be able to accept the loss, leave and try my luck again. It's my problem for playing random, and when I have time for e.g. 3 games per day I have no intention to spend 2 of them carrying a player that would struggle versus the AI for 50 minutes, only to have them lose all their units, rage and drop.

Conversely, if your teammate drops, too bad - play with the AI (good luck), drop and queue again or find a teammate.

The biggest problem is that, unlike vCoH, the AT and randoms share a ladder. Waiting times being what they are, this is unfortunately unlikely to change. As frustrating as the situation currently is, nothing will alienate players faster than forcing them to play matches they don't want to on penalty of punishment.

Players will take the risk that his/her teammates would possibly leave, but it doesn't mean those quiters should go unpunished.

It's like accuse a woman just being raped dressing too sexy, it's your fault!
1 Aug 2016, 09:11 AM

It's like accuse a woman just being raped dressing too sexy, it's your fault!

I can think of 1 or 2 differences between these examples...
1 Aug 2016, 09:30 AM

You start a 4v4 ? 2 AFK
You start a 3v3 ? 1 AFK

Don't you leave if it happens? And guy who returned from toilet then reports you :foreveralone:

However, it will be good but hardly to do because everybody will be report everyone and to not ban everybody some stuff need to review all the complaints.
2 Aug 2016, 19:27 PM

I'm not really sure how it would be a large problem. If it's a rare thing, let's say once every 2-3 months, the loss of 10min of game time is probably worth not encountering as many leavers. Additionally, the people who want to play a legitimate game have the exact same problem when someone leaves; they need to wait the 4-5 min to get another match (and then hope someone doesn't leave).

How often does this actually happen? In something like 150 matches I had probably 1 crash and one strange 'de-sync' thing where the game didn't start. With a 10min cooldown applied to leaving, and at an average of 20min per game, that's 50hrs of game-time per 20min of cooldown; about 0.67% down time. And that's assuming you could have re-queued instantly - if it was a hard-crash you have restart time, and if your internet is down, that could last a while.

But those same people are getting impacted by other players leaving their games. Some people can't play 10 games a day; they might only have the time for 1 or 2 matches. Is it fair that their small window of time can be impacted so negatively?

But similarly, it's inconsiderate to those who can only play for a short period of time. They just want to play a match or two, but instead they might get 2-3 "5 minute matches" in which their teammate drops for no real reason.

It's a complicated issue, for sure; but there's a surprisingly large group of players that leave games for no real reason, and it impacts a lot of people. I'm sure a lot of people would like to have the confidence to say that each match will be enjoyable, but as is, there's a fairly large chance that someone will drop from team-games.

This isn't a free to play such mechanics would do nothing for the community. Doesn't matter how rare it occurs, it's unethical, you are punishing people just to get back at a few players.

You know what would really help for this game to have an actual healthy player pool? Balance and broken elements fixed, also separated MM where randoms don't have to paired up with seal-clubbing arranged teams. You are literally blaming players for inherent problems with the game.Make the game worth playing and people will stay of their own free will and the population will increase.

The leavers are only a problem because the balance is crap and barely anyone wants to play this, so its always the same old faces queuing up, getting their shit kicked in and then getting fed up and just quitting altogether.

But relic is far too invested in shovelware commanders and DLC for quick cash grab then actually mending the game.
2 Aug 2016, 19:32 PM

If this is selfish then how selfish is leaving the game just becouse you don't like the map, you start to loose or play against specific strategy/faction? If you play automatch with random teammates, you agree to have random teammates, opponent and map. There are other modes for people who doesn't agree on this.

There is also a fair surrender option there to be used. This is a proper way of ending the game if you feel you can't make it, that's why it was implemented in first place. Leave option is just for people who really can't play to the end of match becouse of some urgency and don't want to leave the team with player afk. These people won't be hurt by 10 minute penalty.

Even the people who just have bad connections won't be hurt that much, as match waiting time for good players is just as long or, for really good ones, much longer than that. Only the ones who jump from game to game waiting for conjunction of planets in a match will get hit but they should as they are parasites of the playerbase.

Except it isn't random and when you see a stacked team with all players from same clan, all sporting cancerous meta commander or factions you quickly realize the mm is itself borked and stackable.

Yeah pray tell what to do when you try to surrender but rest of the team doesn't want to? what then? You play against your will, like i said you just want to hold people hostage because you feel entitled to a certain experience.

Make the game decent and people will be less likely to leave. Don't force them to play.
3 Aug 2016, 01:06 AM

Make the game decent and people will be less likely to leave. Don't force them to play.

There is truth to this but no matter how great the mechanics are you will still have players who intentionally grief, afk, or otherwise spoil the experience for the other 7 players in the game. Having one player wasting time in a game they aren't enjoying is a bad outcome, but so is 7 players facing the same due to one player's actions.

A system like CS:GO works well, where you get no/minor penalty for an occasional drop but that increases if you drop often in a short space of time. That way those who regularly drop (either intentionally or due to bad netconnection) are less able to cause trouble for legit players. At the same time legit players have a means for escaping the occasional bad game (e.g. hackers, 12ies griefing, hopeless team mates etc.) without much of a drawback.

I don't see anything changing in this game, my wishlist for CoH3:
  • Method for reconnecting after connection loss.
  • Option to replace afk with AI and system to punish excessive AFK.
  • System to detect team-killing (e.g. if your friendly-fire gets to a high level only achievable by attacking friendly buildings, or if you attack ground on friendly building).
  • Skirmish AI that isn't completely useless, so that having a team mate drop isn't a death-sentence if you are doing well up to that point.
  • Better release and post-release support so there are enough players to maintain separate AT and random ladders.
  • Cooldown for those whop drop frequently from ranked matches.

3 Aug 2016, 02:57 AM

People should use stable computers and internet connections either way for their own good. By your logic we could also implement additional lag, just becouse some people are disadvantaged by playing on wireless connections that skyrocket their ping.

Some of us don't have a choice. At my home, I have a choice of Comcast or Comcast. It's craptastic. It isn't likely to change as Comcast regularly gives "dollars of free speech" to our elected officials so that there is very little chance of anything changing. I get to pay about $75/month for a connection that drops me from games completely roughly 5-10% of the time.

The game servers do have a reconnect feature that does work. I get probably 2-3 times as many reconnects as I do drops. The problem is that everything keeps playing while I'm waiting to reconnect so I often lose units while it reconnects.

If I had a wish list for COH3, it would be that the servers were more fault-tolerant. This is the only online game I have that has this level of disconnects. SC2, WC3, GW2 all disconnect much less often.

3 Aug 2016, 03:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2016, 02:57 AMGrumpy

Some of us don't have a choice. At my home, I have a choice of Comcast or Comcast. It's craptastic. It isn't likely to change as Comcast regularly gives "dollars of free speech" to our elected officials so that there is very little chance of anything changing. I get to pay about $75/month for a connection that drops me from games completely roughly 5-10% of the time.

I sympathise in that I too often have to deal with an unreliable connection. As annoying as it is to get dropouts I don't feel as if a system that made it harder to access ranked team matches during times of instability is infringing my rights. I know every time I drop out it is spoiling the game for the other 3-7 players.

The game servers do have a reconnect feature that does work.

I feel pretty stupid here, what is this reconnect feature you mention?
3 Aug 2016, 18:14 PM
Donator 11

The game servers do have a reconnect feature that does work. I get probably 2-3 times as many reconnects as I do drops. The problem is that everything keeps playing while I'm waiting to reconnect so I often lose units while it reconnects.

If I had a wish list for COH3, it would be that the servers were more fault-tolerant. This is the only online game I have that has this level of disconnects. SC2, WC3, GW2 all disconnect much less often.

Then why don't you go with wireless LTE or WiMax connection? It adds a little lag, but it is nothing compared to relic server ping. Most importantly it is much cheaper than whooping 75$ and is super stable - as stable as your phone. If you just need connection for gaming, so you don't need good speed, you can also try ADSL.
3 Aug 2016, 19:25 PM

Lets assume relic implemented it

1) if penalty gonna be 5-10 minutes. I type /leave coz there is no point to play in situation that I cant win than spend 20-30 min in agony.

2) if penalty gonna be more than 10 minutes I just go to the kitchen for some cup of tea my teammates surrender coz of idle

So, U decide what to do
3 Aug 2016, 21:21 PM

I´m all for a penalizing system in theory.

But we have to come to terms with reality here. A game like CS:GO with a playerbase that is in the millions can afford this kind of feature. Seeing how I currently am waiting for a game since 7 minutes in the European prime time during summer vacation tells me that penalizing people would hurt the game.
3 Aug 2016, 21:41 PM
Donator 33

I want to highlight some legitimate reasons for dropping.

1. Experience mismatch
There's a large pool of players who've spent thousands of hours playingqueueing on the 4v4 automatch. While skill levels vary, none deserve to be matched with players who are clearly just starting out. People may be patient the first hundred times this happens, but eventually most reach a point of only wanting to play a fun game with functional teams on both sides.

2. Unranked AT
Established AT works ok. Tough game is a good game, and high ELO usually puts established AT against a competent group of randoms. In contrast, unranked AT is hideous because it's a perpetual state of placement matches. Often you'll know some players for years but the roster rotates every week so they'll never actually play a game with an ELO rating.

3. Abuse
Computer games have a lot of needy people who like to call strangers all kinds of ridiculous (often racist) things. Arguing seems to feed their lust, so in most cases the only dignified response is to /leave.

4. Disconnects
USA/Europe users may find it hard to believe, but this is something that a lot of people have no control over. My 'dispute' rate has remained consistent despite 3 years of coh2 development, 2 continents and 7 ISPs. If you ever wonder why so many people drop "for no reason" - this is the reason.

In fact the majority of games continue to be affected by one of these things. If this ever reaches single-digit % then perhaps we can talk about penalties.
3 Aug 2016, 22:42 PM

Sorry to burt your bubble, but as much as I agree with you, if it takes Relic 2 months to patch the mortar bug, what makes you think they will agree to listen to add improvements?
4 Aug 2016, 01:32 AM

Then why don't you go with wireless LTE or WiMax connection? It adds a little lag, but it is nothing compared to relic server ping. Most importantly it is much cheaper than whooping 75$ and is super stable - as stable as your phone. If you just need connection for gaming, so you don't need good speed, you can also try ADSL.

I tried using a tethered Sprint LTE connection. I didn't have any drops but the lag made it unplayable. I had a really hard time dodging grenades. I would try ADSL but think I would go over their data cap. I might try tethering my AT&T phone and see if that works better than Sprint.
4 Aug 2016, 01:37 AM

I sympathise in that I too often have to deal with an unreliable connection. As annoying as it is to get dropouts I don't feel as if a system that made it harder to access ranked team matches during times of instability is infringing my rights. I know every time I drop out it is spoiling the game for the other 3-7 players.

I feel pretty stupid here, what is this reconnect feature you mention?

The game client tries to reconnect when it disconnects. Your units stop, the game freezes, and you get a status update on the left. Depending on what is happening, you can end up losing the game anyway even with a reconnect. On a reconnect, your client moves in turbo mode until everything is caught up.

4 Aug 2016, 04:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2016, 01:37 AMGrumpy

The game client tries to reconnect when it disconnects. Your units stop, the game freezes, and you get a status update on the left. Depending on what is happening, you can end up losing the game anyway even with a reconnect. On a reconnect, your client moves in turbo mode until everything is caught up.

Oh yeah of course there's that, you still get permanently disconnected if you don't reestablish connection within a short space of time. If your connection issue requires you to restart your router, you're boned.

I thought you were talking about a feature that enables players to rejoin a match in progress after they've been booted from it, that would be useful in team games.
4 Aug 2016, 07:44 AM

A word on game crashes and connection problems:
you will waste more time because of leavers if they won't get punished than because of random crash once in 2 weeks.

But then people still can go AFK instead of leaving. Time of AFKing though can be longer than 10 mins if we assume that this is penalty length.
4 Aug 2016, 08:00 AM

Stopped playing 4vs4 random, 2 games over 3, people are disconnecting before the game starts or at beginning.

I play 4vs4 random for fun, but in this time of holidays, the game seems to be full of retarded who doesn't even want to try to play better to win.
This and also, in counter part, too much AT teams making playing random a nightmare to win.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★