Login

russian armor

"F- word" issues

10 Jun 2016, 00:58 AM
Donator 11

Its to make it so you dont get salty teammates who get hella mad and call you 'bullpudding' and a 'kittykat.
nee
10 Jun 2016, 01:47 AM

They put in all the effort for War Spoils, but won't put in a button that lets players censor text.

Yes, that's all there is to it, a button. They didn't have the censor before.
10 Jun 2016, 02:59 AM
Donator 11

Here is a point, when you trying to write F word in in-game chat, it turning into "gardening", or something like that. Same works with other "bad" words, for better purpouses, it's ok.

But, I only now mentioned, that units themselvs using F and other bad words, and do it pretty often. And they are not censored with anything. For example, I just heard, that my mortar team guys said "Oh, that F*cking snow, it's everywhere", or something like that.

So... why is it allowable for units to use those words without censorship, but not for me or other players? It doesn't make sense!

Thank Cynthia for the censorship.
10 Jun 2016, 03:02 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Honestly it's just made my real life a whole lot funnier. My friend is part of a gardening club and I can't help but burst out hysterically every time he brings it up.
10 Jun 2016, 03:08 AM

Haven't we had this same discussion 100 times already?

Yes, it censors you.
No, it doesn't matter.

Way to shitpost, "senior moderator".

Yes, it does censor people. And yes, it's a problem. Want some proof? This thread.

I've already voiced my opinion on this matter. Treating people who pay for your games like children is a really silly thing to do. I guess the way the filter is implemented is somewhat amusing, but it still doesn't justify blatant censorship.
10 Jun 2016, 03:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 03:08 AMalfik

Yes, it does censor people. And yes, it's a problem. Want some proof? This thread.

I've already voiced my opinion on this matter. Treating people who pay for your games like children is a really silly thing to do. I guess the way the filter is implemented is somewhat amusing, but it still doesn't justify blatant censorship.

Just counted the posts in the thread (not counting multiple for those who posted multiple times). May be one vote off in either direction.

For Censorship: 9
Against Censorship: 4

'This thread' is not proof. I suggest you flesh out your argument before you insult a mod. You're not being a vigilante fighting against censorship. You're just being the exact guy being addressed in the 'free speech' XKCD comic that elchino7 posted:

This really should've been a poll thread.
10 Jun 2016, 04:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 03:23 AMwouren

Just counted the posts in the thread (not counting multiple for those who posted multiple times). May be one vote off in either direction.

'This thread' is not proof. I suggest you flesh out your argument before you insult a mod. You're not being a vigilante fighting against censorship. You're just being the exact guy being addressed in the 'free speech' XKCD comic that elchino7 posted:

This really should've been a poll thread.

It's made by MissCommissar, do you think he would trouble himself with such?

As for the censorship, I'm for it since it prevents a hostile response between players, especially guys who decide to hop into the game for the first time.
10 Jun 2016, 04:48 AM

As for the censorship, I'm for it since it prevents a hostile response between players, especially guys who decide to hop into the game for the first time.

Coolio. I counted your response in the tally already if you were curious.
10 Jun 2016, 08:05 AM
Senior Editor Badge

While we are at posting XKCD comics, these are somewhat more relevant (Go Relic!):

...ok, maybe the examples aren't super relevant for CoH2, but still...
10 Jun 2016, 12:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 03:23 AMwouren

'This thread' is not proof. I suggest you flesh out your argument before you insult a mod. You're not being a vigilante fighting against censorship. You're just being the exact guy being addressed in the 'free speech' XKCD comic that elchino7 posted

W-what? The fact that this thread is here and there are opinions from both sides IS proof that this is an issue. A "mod" who comes and says "it's not a problem because I said so" doesn't make it any less of an issue. You then proceed to defend said mod and tell me to flesh out my argument (lol), while I've already made several posts explaining why I think obligatory profanity filtering is a bad idea.

And don't even get me started on that "free speech" thing. If you're not insterested in an argument regarding profanity filters, why do you even bother replying to my posts? Just to call me an asshole for having a different opinion? What does that make YOU?

Also, your little cute counting is irrelevant. This is not a place where we vote and fight as to who was right. On a side note, voice of the majority doesn't really matter - it's no secret that the majority is retarded. Only a sociologist would think otherwise.

Oh, and I don't think you know what an "insult" is.
10 Jun 2016, 13:42 PM

You might think swearing and insulting people in chat makes you look tough, cool and adult, when in reality it only makes you look like a teenager. The system is there to reduce the amount of unnecessary foolishness we get to see everyday.
10 Jun 2016, 13:47 PM
Donator 11

Guys, they are gardening canadians. What did you expect? :D
10 Jun 2016, 13:58 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 03:08 AMalfik

This thread is proof of nothing other than people insisting on running in circles, in my opinion.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 12:22 PMalfik

W-what? The fact that this thread is here and there are opinions from both sides IS proof that this is an issue. A "mod" who comes and says "it's not a problem because I said so" doesn't make it any less of an issue.

This is a forum, and you should probably expect input that doesn't follow your world view and not get defensive whenever someone doesn't agree. Calling another opinion a "shitpost" isn't the best way to further your argument.

Also, me being a Senior Moderator doesn't mean I can't express my opinion on this "problem". My opinion being that it absolutely doesn't matter. If I was taking the "it's not a problem because I said so" approach, I would have closed the thread.

Now, if you want to argue about my opinion that's fine - but don't try and de-rail the thread.
10 Jun 2016, 14:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 12:22 PMalfik

W-what? The fact that this thread is here and there are opinions from both sides IS proof that this is an issue. A "mod" who comes and says "it's not a problem because I said so" doesn't make it any less of an issue. You then proceed to defend said mod and tell me to flesh out my argument (lol), while I've already made several posts explaining why I think obligatory profanity filtering is a bad idea.

And don't even get me started on that "free speech" thing. If you're not insterested in an argument regarding profanity filters, why do you even bother replying to my posts? Just to call me an asshole for having a different opinion? What does that make YOU?

Also, your little cute counting is irrelevant. This is not a place where we vote and fight as to who was right. On a side note, voice of the majority doesn't really matter - it's no secret that the majority is retarded. Only a sociologist would think otherwise.

Oh, and I don't think you know what an "insult" is.

I would like to see a better argument from you. So far, I haven't really seen anything convincing on your side. It might be more polite to say that the people who would be flaming are assholes than that you are being the asshole. I probably should've done that. I WILL, however, not retract my statement that calling someone's post a shitpost is pretty insulting.

Am I blindly defending a mod? Maybe. Are you blindly defending what you (IMO incorrectly) believe to be an infringement on free speech? Maybe. You know, they don't actually remove messages, and it does not actually change any of the meaning. It just makes it funnier and a little less toxic.
10 Jun 2016, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 14:19 PMwouren

You know, they don't actually remove messages, and it does not actually change any of the meaning. It just makes it funnier and a little less toxic.

See, the problem is that a profanity filter doesn't fix anything. A person who wants to flame and insult you will still do so without the usage of swear words.

It's only a nuisance for the rest of us. I often find myself discussing strategy with my teammates in the heat of battle and I happen to weave in a swear word here and there. Then I realize that with all the gardening puddings my sentence has lost its sense and for somebody else it's very hard to make out what I was trying to say.
10 Jun 2016, 14:42 PM

Profanity filter ON//OFF option would make everyone happy, I guess.
10 Jun 2016, 14:45 PM
Donator 11

+1. I would also add global chat ON/OFF option. I actually see no reason, apart maybe gl hf, to use global chat. Only purpose it serves is giving me a chance to read how gardenning pudding I am when I win a game. Team chat is usefull though.

Btw I wonder if filtering is applied on the side of message sender, reciver, or server side.
10 Jun 2016, 14:46 PM

Indeed it would. The problem is that Lelic doesn't care about these little problems that do not directly affect core gameplay. Therefore it's very unlikely to happen, especially at this stage of the games life.
10 Jun 2016, 15:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2016, 14:46 PMalfik

Indeed it would. The problem is that Lelic doesn't care about these little problems that do not directly affect core gameplay. Therefore it's very unlikely to happen, especially at this stage of the games life.

IMO that is very wise of them.
gameplay > all

Now, if only they would care about gameplay...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★