Login

russian armor

A single change that could fix a lot of problems

17 May 2016, 17:34 PM
Patrion 14

First of all, let's get this out of the way: this change is not going to happen. The engine doesn't support it currently, and it would ruin the current balance so much that lots of stats would need to be tweaked.

But as a thought experiment, what if I told you that a single tweak could completely change gameplay for the better (in my opinion... that I am sure will be opposed by some):

Reverse speed should be 60% of forward speed. For ALL vehicles.

Rationale wall of text:
17 May 2016, 17:38 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

17 May 2016, 17:40 PM

I don't think the game engine is capable of that.
17 May 2016, 17:51 PM

ur WRITER tag is justified
17 May 2016, 18:06 PM

I remember when Relic patched "Blitz" from 120% to 10% instead of 110%. :sibHyena:
Hux
17 May 2016, 18:16 PM
Patrion 14

intriguing and well argued.

I would love to see a Relic response on this issue, even if only in words.
17 May 2016, 18:22 PM

That's something I would definitely like to see. Even if it takes until CoH3 :p

I remember when Relic patched "Blitz" from 120% to 10% instead of 110%. :sibHyena:

17 May 2016, 18:27 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Powercreep or bad memory :P
17 May 2016, 18:31 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Yeah, the reverse move at full speed is silly and lowering it would make tank use much more skillful since getting caught out of position would actually be punishing. However, I'm pretty sure Relic have outright said that the engine is not capable of having reverse different speeds to forward.
17 May 2016, 19:16 PM

I don't think the game engine is capable of that.

The worst and most prevalent excuse Relic uses to deflect the most important and rational changes or additions to this game. It's dishonorable, and probably a half truth.
17 May 2016, 19:42 PM
Patrion 14

As someone with experience in game dev I can honestly say that making different forward and reverse speeds is not rocket science. I don't want to trivialize anyone's work, and I am sure the engine handling unit movement is not simple (see also: the pathfinding problems, 3-point turn plans and whatnot) - but make no mistake, it would have been an easy thing to code in at the beginning of the project if Relic really wanted to.
17 May 2016, 20:11 PM

Would you think that pseudo random distribution would make a difference for accuracy? It's OT but I have always wondered if it could help with consistency in the game.
17 May 2016, 20:14 PM

As someone with experience in game dev I can honestly say that making different forward and reverse speeds is not rocket science. I don't want to trivialize anyone's work, and I am sure the engine handling unit movement is not simple (see also: the pathfinding problems, 3-point turn plans and whatnot) - but make no mistake, it would have been an easy thing to code in at the beginning of the project if Relic really wanted to.

Exactly. Saying "the engine doesn't support it" is like saying "humanity has not reached the required technological level to allow this". I mean you're not an engineer from 1890 trying to realize Jules Verne's designs for traveling to the moon. The correct explanation would be "it takes us more man-hours to implement it than we're willing to dedicate to a game that is 3 years old."
17 May 2016, 21:28 PM

The correct explanation would be "it takes us more man-hours to implement it than we're willing to dedicate to a game that is 3 years old."

Of course, with all the PR filtering, you'd never hear a game developer say this in a million years.
Not saying that it never happens. I mean, just last stream Kyle finally gave me a definite, cut to the quick answer on custom hotkeys with "Yeah, it's not gonna happen, Jaedrik." But it took them how long to say this for how long we've been asking and getting "it might be something we're looking into maybe and it sounds interesting maybe but we're not sure how to implement it."
So they give BS explanation to give the fanbois ammunition to feel better.
URGH, JUST LET US LOAD OUR OWN .SGAs AND SET UP PRIVATE SERVERS.
17 May 2016, 23:26 PM

I like it. As you've said it's too late for such a change (especially after allied TD buffs) but a solid idea nonetheless.

I think this issue is also why snares play such a big role.
17 May 2016, 23:49 PM

Overall, tanks should be a bit faster. If OP's suggestion was implemented, the speed, sight, range, armour and cost became closer to their real performance, the performance disparities between the tanks would be more pronounced. Playing with tanks would be much more dynamic.

Over committing a tiger would easily be dealt with by a medium rushing behind it.

T34 could be produced at a rate against tigers 3-4 to 1.

And 4v4s would feel like kursk.
18 May 2016, 00:11 AM

And yes, I do realize that vehicles designed to be frontal medium killers able to reverse instead of getting caught, such as Panthers, StuGs and Su76, would be greatly affected by this change. Again, I am not arguing for this change to be implemented as is, additional tweaks would need to be made to make it work, and it's not gonna happen anyway.

You mentioned this in your original post but I don't think it is getting enough attention. To put it into perspective reducing reverse speed to 66% would be akin to giving every tank a permanent blitzkreig buff when attacking a reversing tank. Changing reverse speed would mean every vehicle designed to reverse instead of slug it out to have to be redesigned. A Jackson that can't reverse away from a P4 is going to flat out loose since it has less health and does less DPS. Even getting the first shot in from 60 range isn't going to save it. The only way to make these vehicles viable again would be to amp up their range, their dps, and/or their health to some pretty crazy levels to ensure they're killing their targets frontally before they can be rushed down.
nee
18 May 2016, 00:16 AM

I always took reverse speed as being less than forward, seeing as how often my vehicles often don't escape danger fast enough ;/
18 May 2016, 00:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 20:11 PMNubb3r
Would you think that pseudo random distribution would make a difference for accuracy? It's OT but I have always wondered if it could help with consistency in the game.

Oh yes please. Lesser RNG the better. Also all the cool kids have been doing it for a long time now, Dota 2 is an example.
18 May 2016, 00:39 AM
Patrion 27

+1 absolutely, but there are two other changes already in Mirage_Fla's mod that would improve this game even more:

1) VP's and CP's no longer affect vehicle pathing.

2) Remove 1.25% received accuracy from all support weapons.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★