Login

russian armor

Dawn of War to CoH

4 May 2016, 05:55 AM
Patrion 14

Now, I don't like RTS. Only reason I got into coh2 was because its setting was WWII.

Since I spent so much time playing coh2 with my buds, we'll probably get DoWIII anyway so I want to ask...

What is DoW?

• is there a rich lore?
  • how many factions? in the trailer, it looked like 3
  • melee and gun?
  • is there gigantic units? it looks like it from the trailer.
  • from coh1 to dowII, did the game engine change?
  • was dowII rich in strategy? better balanced?
  • and etc

thanks.

The trailer looks really good.
4 May 2016, 06:05 AM

Warhammer, both 40k (Which DoW is set in) and fantasy have some of the most amazing lore, its on par with Tolkien and LotR.

There are 3 factions that have been "shown" in the trailer but 10+ factions in the actual Warhammer 40k universe.

Melee is a huge part of Warhammer, and to are guns.

Yes there are gigantic units.

Yes it did change.

Its very rich in strategy and generally better designed and balanced (since its fantasy and isn't tied to anything).
4 May 2016, 06:14 AM

Now, I don't like RTS. Only reason I got into coh2 was because its setting was WWII.

Since I spent so much time playing coh2 with my buds, we'll probably get DoWIII anyway so I want to ask...

What is DoW?

• is there a rich lore?
  • melee and gun?
  • and etc

thanks.

The trailer looks really good.

Don't bother us with those silly questions and PLAY ORKS!!!!
4 May 2016, 06:26 AM

I'd disagree with Warhammer 40k having good lore.

Why the hell are we fighting with swords 40,000 years in the future?

Why are we even fighting on planets anymore? You massive starships are what would decide the war, if a planet resists, you nuke it back into the stone age.

How come man is still using cold war tactics (APCs etc) far in the future?

And don't get me started on those bloody stupid space marines who seem to have more miniatures then the rest of the 40k universe put together. :(

4 May 2016, 06:31 AM

Why are we even fighting on planets anymore? You massive starships are what would decide the war, if a planet resists, you nuke it back into the stone age.

And don't get me started on those bloody stupid space marines who seem to have more miniatures then the rest of the 40k universe put together. :(

Well that logic can be applied to anything - Why are they using magic in LotR with flying ships (read silmarillion) but haven't invented any type of firearmy etc. Why in Harry Potter doesn't Harry just get dual Uzi's and lay waste to all the Death Eaters. Let's just arm all of hogwarts with AK47's and RPG's before the battle.

Why do people fight on planets in Star Wars? Why doesn't someone just get an X-Wing (or better yet a massive ship in the form of a huge block of strong metal) and go into hyperspace aimed at a Death Star/Star Destroyer and literally cause light-speed kinetic damage which would literally destroy anything.. hell let's just do that and fly them at planets. Fuck the Death Star lets just steal some Star Destroyer sized ships and hyper-space into a planet (I.E crashing into a planet at lightspeed). All Lore has flaws, especially when its as rich as Warhammer, Star Wars etc and without it you get a very boring world.
4 May 2016, 06:37 AM

"That's why I prefer a chainsword - they never run out of ammo"
4 May 2016, 06:49 AM

Dude, the lore is EPIC. And I mean EPIC. One of the best lore ever which eats the whole Starwars, Startrek Mass effect put together for breakfast. I even think it's somewhat better that JRR's work.

Everything is dark and about blood. The zeal and fascistic nature of the Imperium of Man is impressive.

You said you liked CoH2 only because of the setting, well I like DoW for the same reason.

I haven't played the table top games, but I've rest most of the CODEX online. I would be glad to explain some major plot point for you and give you some link, PM me if you're interested.

Forgive me for sounding like a 18 year old boy, I'm very excited. The amount of WH40K games this year is just awesome. Eternal Crusade, Battlefleet Gothic, Death Wing, and finally DoWIII. Yesterday I jumped so high off my chair my brother thought I was having a seizure
4 May 2016, 06:58 AM

And as a long term WH40k and DoW series fan, I'll be more then happy to answer.

What is DoW?

DoW is love, DoW is life.

• is there a rich lore?
  • melee and gun?
  • and etc

If you mean WH40k, its like ending up in a lore bar, being served lore beer of all flavors, until the end of your life. There is no white or black, just many aspects of grey, its full of plot twists, treachery and epicnes.

If you mean DoW series lore, there is a lot to that too, especially on the story heavy DoW2 and rather very entertaining SP campaign, where you didn't played with the whole army, but 3 highly customizable squads and a commander. DoW lore is really interesting and well made and so are campaigns.

In trailer we've seen 3 factions, but given previous games and 40k setting, we might just as well end up with 9.

Its a brutal universum, where using melee weapons next to high tech ranged weaponry does make a lot of sense.

Yes, the trailer featured Imperial Knights, Eldar Wraith Knights and orkz whateveritwas, we'll most likely end up playing these three casses, but there are much bigger and scarier toys for all armies called Titans for the empire and their equivalents for other armies.

Yes, every following game uses improved engine over previous one.

And lastly, balance was always a concern, there was a lot of tasty cheeze because of specific heroes and wargear you could equip them with, but there was a lot of depth to it. DoW2 trademark feature was extremely fast paced, small scale combat, high unit details and amazing sync kills.

Game was as balanced as it can get with 6 completely different armies which had little in common with each other.

And for the dessert:

4 May 2016, 07:01 AM

I never thought the day would come but I guess you're gonna be my new BFF4LIFE
4 May 2016, 07:04 AM

Whatever, it's not my cup of tea.
4 May 2016, 07:14 AM
Patrion 14

I don't know. The lore has it's strong points, and the theology behind the Chaos Gods and the Warp is actually pretty deep and well-thought stuff when you dig into it, but lately the setting seems to have gone a bit over-the-top regarding the level of fascism and fanaticism in the Imperium of Man.

Seems like they're really trying hard to be dark and edgy, and it all comes off a bit juvenile if compared to other similar settings, like Tolkien.

But as a setting for an RTS, it's pretty much perfect. Lots of factions, any combination of alliances and enemies is acceptable, lots of different gear to be modelled..
4 May 2016, 07:23 AM

·Lore of DoW is the whole Wh40k universe...It requires at least 1-2 years to read all of them

·In DoW1 and all of its expansion there are 9 factions, Space Marines, Imperial Guards, Sister of Battles(Adeptus Sororitas), Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tau and Chaos
In DoW2 there are 6 factions to play(SM, IG, ED, Orks, Chaos and Tryannids) in PVP and 8 in PVE (with Tau and Necron)
In DoW3 there will be 3 as starting factions but I guess there will be more in DLC

·Melee is as important as shooting in DOW and Wh40 universe

·These 2 are Knight-Class Titan of Imperium and Wraithknight of Eldar in trailer.

·COH1 used improved engine of DOW2, they are very alike. DoW1 is another game.

·DoW2 is more of micro-control game, but 80 apm is enough

For more background information, you can visit http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/
4 May 2016, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

There are the odd melee weapons which have better penetrative power than other fairly common ranged weapons, but probably the most significant "justification" for it is that many of humanity's enemies gladly fight in melee and so it is logical for humanity to train and arm assuming that it will be likely they will have to fight back there. Bayonet drill is largely vestigial because no one soldier should expect to have use them but that would probably change if people had to frequently fight Iunno, ravenous hordes of super-fast crocodiles.

They do, actually. When the Imperium believes the planet will be lost/not worth the effort and can get the sufficent space force there in time, it will get Exterminatus'ed to kill all life on the planet.

Well, SOMETIMES they use ridiculous giant fuck-off walkers. Does that make marginally more sense to you? (Technological stagnation is also a pretty significant theme in the Imperium)

That's practically nothing compared to how Age of Sigmar replaced Warhammer Fantasy. Literally killed off to be replaced with faux-spess mehreens :*(

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 07:14 AMSappi
Seems like they're really trying hard to be dark and edgy, and it all comes off a bit juvenile if compared to other similar settings, like Tolkien.

Definitely what I usually hear about who don't like it, claims I certainly can't discount, but that's what I and probably a good bit find fun about it. I just take in all the CHAINSWORDS, COUNTLESS BILLIONS DYING IN THE HOPES OF THE OVERALL'S SURVIVAL, OPPRESSIVE REGIME FORMED OUT OF AN IRONIC RELIGION junk at once and chuckle.

Also, Orks are black comedy incarnate which might be more your thing if you find the seriousness the other factions give off to be impenetrable.
4 May 2016, 07:27 AM

For more background information, you can visit http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/

I personally like http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki more but it's not very user friendly, you get lost in it if you're not a fan. But there are more details.
4 May 2016, 07:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 07:25 AMVuther

That's practically nothing compared to how Age of Sigmar replaced Warhammer Fantasy. Literally killed off to be replaced with faux-spess mehreens :*(

Oh don't get me started on that, I liked the original warhammer, stopped playing because of how bleeding expensive it was. The armies were cool, the lore I could get behind and now there's this Age of Sigmar train wreck. Forgive my grumblings, I'm just a GW hater. :D
4 May 2016, 07:38 AM

W40K has one of the richest, most detailed lores of any media out there. There are 20+ years worth of books, codexs, games etc., and the interactive nature of it means fans are adding to it all the time. Quality-wise it's mixed, in very general terms it's undoubtedly creative but at times cheesy and gratuitous so not to everyone's taste. Great setting for an RTS though as there are so many options for the content you can have and the stories you can tell.

Not sure number of factions, I expect 3-4 on release with a few more coming in expansions/DLC. There will be a combination of melee and ranged units. The engine in Coh1, DoW2 and CoH3 is mostly the same.

I didn't play DoW2 nearly as much as CoH but from what I gathered: The basic combat and resource gathering system based on strategic points is largely similar, but some significant differences:
  • Doesn't matter so much which points you cap on the map, there's only 2 kinds
  • Upgrade options are more numerous and make more difference to the units you but them for
  • Game is more about soft counters than rock-paper-scissors
  • Less vehicle use generally
  • Combination of slow but fragile units felt weird to me
  • Can't comment on balance, but my guess is the community values it less than they do in CoH
  • Single player was boring AI battles without much in the way of scripted events

All up I think DoW3 will be a fine game in its own way but I don't think it's going to be a CoH substitute (nor should it be).
4 May 2016, 07:43 AM

Is the gameplay like CoH at all? I know little to nothing about DoW.
4 May 2016, 07:45 AM

Going off the original DoW, I would say most certainly, it is extremely similar in many ways, the cover system in the original was less deep, but it did have a kind of panic/suppression system implemented. Points were the same, although back then you built up a base as well.
4 May 2016, 07:51 AM

DoW1 not even close.

DoW2, basics are same, dynamics are completely different(melee, cover importance diminishes depending on what you face).
4 May 2016, 07:59 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 07:25 AMVuther

Definitely what I usually hear about who don't like it, claims I certainly can't discount, but that's what I and probably a good bit find fun about it. I just take in all the CHAINSWORDS, COUNTLESS BILLIONS DYING IN THE HOPES OF THE OVERALL'S SURVIVAL, OPPRESSIVE REGIME FORMED OUT OF AN IRONIC RELIGION junk at once and chuckle.

Also, Orks are black comedy incarnate which might be more your thing if you find the seriousness the other factions give off to be impenetrable.

Yea, I agree I may lack the proper sense of humor for the setting, and I do think I find the enjoyable mindset you speak of in the Orks.

Thing is, I'd LIKE to really like the setting, I've often contemplated putting together one of the many Imperial Guard regiments. I'd just like to be able to take it seriously, since it's got a lot of potential that way, too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★