Login

russian armor

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 3

PAGES (7)down
14 Jun 2016, 10:20 AM
Patrion 14

just watched the new 2:25 trailer thingy.

wow... that framerate drops. Those are simply not acceptable. seems very micro intensive .

but the worst thing is the color palette.
14 Jun 2016, 15:45 PM

Invissed a post.

We appreciate critique on the site, but not blatant trash talking with no constructive aspect from a senior member of staff.
14 Jun 2016, 15:47 PM
14 Jun 2016, 15:48 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2016, 10:20 AMpigsoup
just watched the new 2:25 trailer thingy.

wow... that framerate drops. Those are simply not acceptable. seems very micro intensive .

but the worst thing is the color palette.

Well, it wouldn't be acceptable if it didn't really clearly say at the beginning "Pre-Alpha Footage".

It'd be insane if there weren't any issues with a pre-alpha build.
14 Jun 2016, 16:02 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It looks like a complete dive if you ask me.

Where is any sign of strategic play? All units on 1 screen? No Cover? Flat terrain in narrow corridor?

What exactly would increasing the difficulty do except more health for enemies lol.
14 Jun 2016, 16:51 PM

Only sadness.

Angelos looks and walks like a moba wizard. His sweep ability looks like a wizard effect. He's not a freaking psyker! Stop putting excessive eddies, bubbles and graphics over AOEs abilities. This will turn into seizure inducing moba before you know it.

The cover system speaks for itself. There are 3 fences and if you stand in them you get bonus defense. Yay!

Target-indicating pointing lasers? I pretty much only saw these for weapons that have no visible projectiles (bolters). That seriously is bad as far as consistency goes with what is real and overlayed.

Looks like the game will require alot of space for these "massive" battles. I think we are looking at starcraft maps.

Unless they do fundamental overhaul to bring this back into a serious RTS within grim dark future it deserves to be set in (the opposite of what Rogue One is getting) then we have already seen the best of what DOW3 can offer, which is the trailer.

14 Jun 2016, 17:30 PM
Donator 11

The magazine article discussed 'accessibility' quite a lot- all the fancy effects are there to leave you in no doubt who is (about to) hurt who. They referenced coh where pros had to learn to spot the subtle tells of grenade throws whilst in dow3 the eldar had an 'eye catching swirl' (sounds suitably girly for eldar) that you couldn't miss
14 Jun 2016, 21:09 PM

It looks like a complete dive if you ask me.

Where is any sign of strategic play? All units on 1 screen? No Cover? Flat terrain in narrow corridor?

What exactly would increasing the difficulty do except more health for enemies lol.

Cover system doesn't make a RTS good IMO, it just makes a good game a bit better.
15 Jun 2016, 02:26 AM
Patrion 27

If I hadn't been playing Relic games for the past X amount of years I would be excited about this... knowing how it will turn out I am not interested.
15 Jun 2016, 08:16 AM

It seems alright?

I'll wait to see real gameplay before making a decision, gameplay trailers rarely show tactical depth (especially when they're SP focused), which is what's most important. Only real complaint so far is that it seems too bright and colorful to be a DoW game, but that's an easy fix even just using postFX.

Well, it wouldn't be acceptable if it didn't really clearly say at the beginning "Pre-Alpha Footage".

It'd be insane if there weren't any issues with a pre-alpha build.

While "pre-alpha" usually dismisses any technical issues, large frame-rate drops (I think it hits 15-20 at some points) in an official trailer just isn't good for advertising - especially when it has the "60fps" option available. While it might seem like cheating, there's nothing wrong with recording your (DEMO ONLY) gameplay using an internal fixed time step to ensure consistent frame-rate.

15 Jun 2016, 10:05 AM

on one hand the scale looks fluent and epic, but

what's most annoying for me: the MOBA-Style close combat. For 2016 i want diverse and brutal looking close combat animations, not 2 guys standing next to each other, swinging around their sword left and right in the same manner until 1 life bar is empty. that's something already Age of Empires had 17 years ago.

It's sad, because We were on a good way with DoW1 and Medieval 2

but that's neither Relic's nor Sega's fault. It's the fault of the bs LoL and DotA community and firms
15 Jun 2016, 19:13 PM
Referee Badge
Benefactor 347

How everyone complain still about pre alpha gameplay. I remember alpha gameplay from coh2 and all complains XD.
And talking about any strategic point in a short gameplay vid. Without even see any mp is sad stormless. And you never really played dow2. Where the strategic part is different compared to coh :P
15 Jun 2016, 21:04 PM

The gameplay reveal at e3 has me worried. The new cover system looks wonk. I don't like these new "cover zones", the cover system in coh 2 and dow 2 made the combat so much different than other rts's.
16 Jun 2016, 00:03 AM

on one hand the scale looks fluent and epic, but

what's most annoying for me: the MOBA-Style close combat. For 2016 i want diverse and brutal looking close combat animations, not 2 guys standing next to each other, swinging around their sword left and right in the same manner until 1 life bar is empty. that's something already Age of Empires had 17 years ago.

It's sad, because We were on a good way with DoW1 and Medieval 2

but that's neither Relic's nor Sega's fault. It's the fault of the bs LoL and DotA community and firms

dow1 did exactly that though. they just swung their weapons at each other till one unit died and then there was a chance for a sync kill. the videos and articles make it pretty clear that dow3 is aiming for visual clarity and increased visual responsiveness, as well as more streamlined gameplay. having synced combat animations really hurts streamlined gameplay. for example, lets say i want a unit to disengage from combat, but theyre in the middle of a sync animation. what happens? does my unit just stay behind until the animation finishes? does it just cut the animation off abruptly? do squad members that are available to move move first and let the squad members in animation catch up? or do they just sit around until everyones ready to move? what about if squads in a sync animation are being shot at by ranged units? do they take damage? or should they be invulnerable?

in most previous Total War games they did have synced combat animations, and it was pretty cool, but a lot of people complained about the responsiveness of units and such. in the new total war warhammer, units just swing at the air, but people are generally really content with the way combat works right now.

im kinda disappointed about the lack of directional cover, i can understand why they got rid of it. imagine sticking large squads into pieces of cover. the problem was really obvious in mods for dow2 where they increased squad sizes.

also seemed like suppression isnt a thing anymore. in general the combat doesnt seem to be that deep, some vector targetting with the flamers and other abilities, but other than that the base combat seems to pretty shallow. i did notice that plasma guns seemed to overheat, and that entire tactical squads were equipped with plasma guns too. hopefully the base building and tech adds more depth to the game.

im not a big fan of the bright art style, but grime and dirt textures are something that can be added in layer, and even then im more concerned about the gameplay than the art style. one thing that really bothers me is how big the impact effects are. its a pretty vfx on the model thats getting shot at and its just visual noise that can be reduced imo.

also lmao at angelos jumping 30 feet into the air and twirlling his hammer while in cataphractii armor
16 Jun 2016, 01:38 AM
Patrion 14

I, for one, like what I saw.
20 Jun 2016, 00:52 AM

Dawn of War III was number 5 on AngryJoes top 10 E3 games. he has positive comments to say about it

Link to part he talks about DoW3
21 Jun 2016, 06:22 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 19:13 PMFaHu
How everyone complain still about pre alpha gameplay. I remember alpha gameplay from coh2 and all complains XD.
And talking about any strategic point in a short gameplay vid. Without even see any mp is sad stormless. And you never really played dow2. Where the strategic part is different compared to coh :P

Well do you also remember that not much has changed from the alpha to the actual coh2 release?
I think we're already looking at the "finished" graphics and battle system. In my experience the end product doesnt differ too much from the alpha tests when Relic is involved. Every point Stormless made has reason.

It does look too flashy, bright and confusing. The map looks flat and boring. Not much progress from DoW2 from what one can see.
21 Jun 2016, 07:45 AM
Referee Badge
Benefactor 347

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2016, 06:22 AMLümmel

Well do you also remember that not much has changed from the alpha to the actual coh2 release?
I think we're already looking at the "finished" graphics and battle system. In my experience the end product doesnt differ too much from the alpha tests when Relic is involved. Every point Stormless made has reason.

It does look too flashy, bright and confusing. The map looks flat and boring. Not much progress from DoW2 from what one can see.

Noone tell you to buy it. And at least coh2 dont get a lot of work in since alpha. If you cant remember what with thq happened. I really dont understand how you could talk about any graphics in a pre alpha. Nothing. Really nothing is finished. Its flashy probably set you screen right . Than its not flashy anymore. And i only react to stormless point that he should not talk about gameplay. He never played really dow2. So he shouldnt talk about those things in a pre alpha :P
25 Jun 2016, 09:54 AM
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight