Login

russian armor

Bofors

PAGES (14)down
8 May 2016, 22:57 PM

Is it really so hard to admit you made a mistake, Rappy?

On topic, I think you guys are really exaggerating the threat of British Emplacements. I play all factions more or less equally, and in my experience the BOFORs is as easy to kill as two avenues of assault.

Whenever I play against Brits I build a mortar early. I don't built an HMG against them because I know that half the time the tommies will just outshoot the HMG anyways. The instant they try to put down an emplacement, my mortar is already bombarding it and I've got grens moving in to kill the builders. You can't let them dig in.

But say they do manage to get a BOFORs up, what then? Attack ground with the mortar. Get an AT gun and attack ground with that, too. This will force them to brace their BOFORs, at which point I move in with infantry and push out their repairing units, perhaps garrison a few buildings with shrecks if I have them. Once the brace wears off, I have all the time I need to bombard it freely with mortar and AT. Bing Bang Boom, its dead.

What if they get a mortar up next to it? Well, once I get back from making myself a cup of tea (because how else did they have enough time to gather 700+MP to build a BOFORs and a mortar pit without sacrificing the map?) I just do the same thing, aiming for the enemy mortar. Maybe build a second mortar of my own. A tank also does the trick extremely well, because despite some claims, a BOFORs will not kill a tank on its own.

The key facet of the strategy though, is that you have to force them to brace. Once they brace, they're exposed for you to freely annihilate. The second that brace wears off they're just as vulnerable to bombardment and call-in arty as anything else in the game.

And that's why the BOFORs is fine as is.
8 May 2016, 23:48 PM

Goldeanle, what you outlined would not work against advanced emplacements in 2v2. Counter battery would kill your mortar at no cost to the British player. Even if they didn't counter battery you, they could use the suppressive barrage and that would wipe your mortar like once a minute. There is no way a single mortar can threaten a Bofors. Maybe a single ISG, but never a single mortar.
9 May 2016, 00:09 AM

Goldeanle, what you outlined would not work against advanced emplacements in 2v2. Counter battery would kill your mortar at no cost to the British player. Even if they didn't counter battery you, they could use the suppressive barrage and that would wipe your mortar like once a minute. There is no way a single mortar can threaten a Bofors. Maybe a single ISG, but never a single mortar.

Move your mortar when you hear the BOFORs start its barrage.

Honestly I can't comment on Counter Battery, because I've never actually had someone use it against me, have never used it, and my AT partner that is really heavy into the Emplacement Doctrine insists that it doesn't even work. He says he's never noticed it do anything, though he also isn't the most astute of players.

I assume that Counter Battery has some foreshadowing of its bombardment? Smoke, or artillery noises? That it costs munitions, at least? I don't know.

I normally beat emplacement brits within ten minutes so I really can't say.
9 May 2016, 00:32 AM

Honestly I can't comment on Counter Battery, because I've never actually had someone use it against me, have never used it, and my AT partner that is really heavy into the Emplacement Doctrine insists that it doesn't even work. He says he's never noticed it do anything, though he also isn't the most astute of players.

I assume that Counter Battery has some foreshadowing of its bombardment? Smoke, or artillery noises? That it costs munitions, at least? I don't know.

You're right. Counter battery doesn't do anything. The only time counter battery was ever useful was to use it for the base howitzers, and even then it's so inaccurate it's not worth spending the munitions that it costs now.

People automatically assume it's counter battery but in reality it's the player doing ground fire micro. Counter battery reacts way too slow for it to be any use.
9 May 2016, 01:42 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

cleaned up the catfight, please, take the middle school level argument somewhere else.

BACK on topic please
9 May 2016, 02:53 AM

Counter battery is pretty key to this whole discussion about Brit emplacements. At least in 2v2. I've played like 20 2v2s with that setup and it's frightening what it does to enemy mortars. I have a now sadly broken replay of my Brit ally's counter battery slaughtering like 4 mortars and 3 ISGS on Crossing. It's all we've been doing since that commander was released and it's glorious.

Counter battery is free and isn't very accurate but has a good rate of fire. It also covers the entire map on most maps. You just turn it on and your base guns automatically wreck enemy mortars. You can leave it in the whole game except that you can't build tier 3 and tier 2 units while it's on (if both guns are set to counter battery). But it's very easy to have at least one going the whole game.

Mind you this is not at high levels of play. So maybe for people who are better at the game it's not an issue.
9 May 2016, 10:04 AM

You can excuse me for interpreting the remark "You cannot do x" as a statement of impossibility...

Haven't played OKW-- Haven't played CoH2-- at a level that could be considered competitive since November of last year, but this is not about my ability to execute a tactic. It would not be a very good solution if only a few people could execute it effectively. Your post illustrates "feasibly" in your words, a way that one would approach such a scenario, disregarding the teleological outcome. That's my point, attacking a Bofors emplacement requires one to come at it in multiple directions. In order to both take advantage of the emplacements blindside, and cause any supporting forces to shift, so they cannot concentrate their fire. It is the most efficient means of assault, even if that level of efficiency is effectively rather low. Consider the alternative-- running head long into it and inflicting approximately the square root of naught against your opponent at grave losses of your own.

If you haven't been playing against this, then you lack understanding.

It's not like flanking an MG that has to unpack and set up. It spins around rapidly. Essentially its blindside exists for such a short period (the time it takes to destroy the first attacking unit) that it can't be considered a blindside in the usual sense (as in with MGs)

And even if you do get its health down low, they can hit brace.

You also have to factor in their other units supporting the bofors.

I don't understand why you can refute my claim so glibly with "smoke and flank" when you haven't been going up against this unit repeatedly and when so many other players are saying the same thing as me. Try it. Try a few games vs Brits with the emplacement commander. I'll be delighted to see a replay of you "flanking a bofors".
9 May 2016, 10:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 May 2016, 22:43 PMDoggo

Brace working for only Artillery (which is extremely rare Early-Mid game) and Explosives (Even more Rare)? Wouldn't that be, in otherwords, pointless?

If this was to be done, two things need to be taken into consideration:

1) The Bofors is the only form of reliable AT Brits get early apart from the AEC (the faction's ONLY non-doctrinal Snare). Picking Bofors locks out the AEC. If Brace has no defensive applications, you will need to provide an equally effective AT Solution for the point it hits.

If the Balance patch hits as is, this is going to be twice as bad, with OKW having all its multitude of T0 AT Options invalidating Light/Medium/Heavy Vehicle play.

2) Losing Brace would mean British Emplacements would vaporise fast. They would need a Health increase/Armour increase to compensate for this.

Are you serious? Bofors requires the same tech as a 6 pounder AT gun which is arguably the best AT in the game excluding emplacements.

2) OKW emplacements and teir structures for that matter "vaporise fast" why should British be any different ?
9 May 2016, 11:00 AM

It´s not hard to counter any kind of british Sim City after months of improving (of the whole community). This may help you https://www.coh2.org/replay/51523/how-to-defeat-the-sim-city-strat-cancer-regiment-wehrmacht ;) :D
9 May 2016, 14:28 PM

Ok so the gun is free (which I wouldnt even mind them changing if they made the building set up a little faster because it wouldnt have anything on it) but all my other points still apply and what the hell do you mean anti everything, show me a clip of a flak HQ taking on heavy tanks or more than one medium that isnt microed horribly or countering mortars and howitzers which are meant to take out static structures. Also with the captain if you lose the captain you dont also lose your tech you just lose the squad unlike with the flak gun which costs you a tier if you lose it and finally the soviet HQ is infinitely less vulnerable to being destroyed because it is in the base and not in the battlefield, so it doesnt need a gun to defend itself.

Hello Smiling Tiger,

Have you read all the posts following yours? It's been tested that a Flak HQ is more effective than a bofors at killing medium tanks. It costs 0 population. It can be used offensively or defensively to prevent cutoff points that are difficult to displace. It is a part of tech cost and that's why it's considered free just like how a captain or LT or major is "free". Please take away my major and give me a Flak HQ instead and i'll be very grateful.

For all other players whining and crying from Counter battery of cancer regiment, please kindly refer to balance preview mod on April 27th. Counter battery is now 30 second ability costing munitions. This should shut down arguments with counter battery.
9 May 2016, 17:00 PM

Hello Smiling Tiger,

Have you read all the posts following yours? It's been tested that a Flak HQ is more effective than a bofors at killing medium tanks. It costs 0 population. It can be used offensively or defensively to prevent cutoff points that are difficult to displace. It is a part of tech cost and that's why it's considered free just like how a captain or LT or major is "free". Please take away my major and give me a Flak HQ instead and i'll be very grateful.

For all other players whining and crying from Counter battery of cancer regiment, please kindly refer to balance preview mod on April 27th. Counter battery is now 30 second ability costing munitions. This should shut down arguments with counter battery.

Well said. But your still discounting the the Bofors rate of fire and, I will agree that the Flak truck damaging tanks is a definate advantage.

The major difference between the two is the time to hit the field, the cost and the effectivness.

When I play OKW I usually don't use my flak truck agressively because losing it 9/10 times loses me the game, so I place it on my cut off. Also, the flak truck costs 300/140 and is your tier4 building. The Bofors on the other hand can hit the field at 5 minutes.

Regarding effectiveness, I've never seen a flak truck wipe out a squad as it walks into it's line of sight, I consistently lose my scout cars from just crossing into the Bofors line of fire. Seriously, it kills light vehicles before they can even reverse, sometimes squads before they can retreat and god forbid you ever have to retreat through a bofors line of fire. We all understand that wiping squads out is one of the fastest way to get ahead in the game and the efficency in which the bofors wipes squads/light vehicles is amazing (for lack of a better word).

If my flak truck was my t1 building, only costed 50 feul and immediately ripped apart anything walking into it's sight, I would be willing to compare the two.
9 May 2016, 17:18 PM

I was just testing it out in cheat mod, if a scout car or half track reverses immediately as the first shot it taken, they will not be able to move away fast enough to survive.
9 May 2016, 17:54 PM

Hello Smiling Tiger,

Hello Whitesky00, (why are we greeting each other now)

Yes I have read all the posts following mine, I just didnt find the need to reply to them because I didnt want it to turn into a dumb back and forth like it did for a full page before the moderator cleaned it up and yes the flak HQ does have better AT but because of its slow rate of fire you can easily back any tank up before it destroys it and the guy I was responding to in the post of mine you quoted me on was calling it an anti everything gun which is hyperbole and the reason it has no population is because it is a building and the British emplacements have population because they arnt building that give techs. It is true that you can place the flak HQ forward on the map to cover a vp but like sinthe and others have said its incredibly risky to do that because you can lose it often on the front and with it your access to medium armor. As for the major or LT or Captain being free they can all be replaced without losing a tech when lost so they are much less risky and I do know that counter battery is being changed.
9 May 2016, 19:24 PM

bofors is so op relic pls do something i am forced to do some artilery and now u want take my panzershreks from volks in new patch ?! BASTARDS
PAGES (14)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS