Login

russian armor

Real close combat in CoH 2 - Bayonet attacks!

19 Apr 2016, 17:16 PM

Just interesting - would it be possible to make in CoH 2 "brave infantry bayonet assaults"? I guess it would be interesting to see. For example - conscripts or penals running on obers, screaming Uraaaa!, dying under rain of bullets, but get to them and kill them with bayonets. Or Osttrupnes/Volks with bayonets against Storms/Commandos :D

I'm sure, that if Relic will find some interest to work (or to money, at least) again and will make Japan faction, they should try realise that bayonet attacks thing.

But anyway, how do you think - is it real to make it in such RTS at all?

19 Apr 2016, 17:20 PM
Donator 11

I think it is more probable that the soldiers throw stones at each other or use spades than use bayonets when they don't have any ammo left or are in close combat.
19 Apr 2016, 17:31 PM

I think it is more probable that the soldiers throw stones at each other or use spades than use bayonets when they don't have any ammo left or are in close combat.

Well, in real war Soviet and Wermacht soldiers used bayonets pretty often. Both of those were brave and crazy enough to do it, belive me.

I think, in CoH 2 it can be realised on infantry like "Ram" ability of T-34-76. Infantry starting to sprint on chosen target with bayonets in front, getting way higer recived accuracy, cos they just crazy running on target, and if they got to enemy squad - it will get superior damage or will be wiped right here and now. But bayonet-sqaud after that (if it will survive) will need some time to rest and will be "stunned".

What do you think?
19 Apr 2016, 17:38 PM
Donator 11

Well, in real war Soviet and Wermacht soldiers used bayonets pretty often. Both of those were brave and crazy enough to do it, belive me.

Where and when?
19 Apr 2016, 17:41 PM

http://postalovsky-a.livejournal.com/42574.html

Here some pics, some of them are about soviet bayonet attacks.

Just not sure, that I will be able to find info about it on english, only on russian.
19 Apr 2016, 17:42 PM

That RTS is called Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.
19 Apr 2016, 17:48 PM
Donator 11

http://postalovsky-a.livejournal.com/42574.html

Here some pics, some of them are about soviet bayonet attacks.

Just not sure, that I will be able to find info about it on english, only on russian.

Yes, but where did they actually use them, except for propaganda photos. Ok, they maybe killed the wounded who lied on the ground, but I don't think it was so common to use the bayonets in close combat mano a mano.
19 Apr 2016, 17:52 PM

Yes, but where did they actually use them, except for propaganda photos. Ok, they maybe killed the wounded who lied on the ground, but I don't think it was so common to use the bayonets in close combat mano a mano.

Guess it wasn't less common, than... Sturmtigers, Kappa.

But anyway, CoH 2 is not about historic accuracy or something like that.
19 Apr 2016, 17:56 PM
Donator 11

Guess it wasn't less common, than... Sturmtigers, Kappa.

But anyway, CoH 2 is not about historic accuracy or something like that.

... but neither can we have Leopard 2 MTBs in the game.

I think that many players play this game because it is a historical WW2 RTS.
19 Apr 2016, 17:58 PM

It was a NO and BAD idea first 10531516 times, its going to be the same for another 15968182 times.
19 Apr 2016, 18:13 PM

Dont give relic anymore ides, they will just screw it up
19 Apr 2016, 18:43 PM

Bayonet/hand to hand fights did occur in WW2 with some degree of regularity, but they were by all means rather rare, even in the PTO. This is borne out both by medical data and AARs.
The Wehrmacht for one relinquished all bayonet training in basic training from 1943 onwards, and also did away with the rudimentary boxing/jiu-jitsu that tended to be additionally taught in divisional combat schools since it was simply too time-intensive for too little gain. Not to mention that fundamentally it was found that even fights at hand to hand range were in 90% of all case decided by the use of firearms...

For this game, the implementation of such a mechanic would be a horrible idea.
19 Apr 2016, 18:48 PM

Sorry but i think this would only end up with frustrating RNG moments for the losing opponent of a melee attack would not work in this game
19 Apr 2016, 19:47 PM

I guess my ( relatively recent) bayonet training was in vain then.

Yes they are still used, even very recently in combat.

http://militaryhistorynow.com/2014/01/17/stickin-it-to-em-the-last-of-the-great-bayonet-charges/
19 Apr 2016, 20:20 PM

Do you really want swarm of osttruppen or conscripts to end up like the WWII equivalent of the Imperial Guard? It would make the game really frustrating...

As for the mention of the Japanese, this will result with this.
usfusfsovietssoviets>JPJP
19 Apr 2016, 20:22 PM

Someone been brushing up on their soviet propaganda
20 Apr 2016, 07:54 AM
Patrion 14

Yes, bayonet kills do take place even today, but I think we can agree that on the whole they are exceedingly rare when compared to inflicted point-blank gunshot wounds in close combat.

The shortened ranges ingame would emphasize hand-to-hand combat too much, would stray too far away from realism and change the entire inner mechanics of the game to boot.
20 Apr 2016, 09:34 AM

It would be imbalanced. The problem is that soldiers don't die nearly as fast as they would in real life (a squad on open streets would be wiped in a second) so the bayonet attack would be way too strong.

As Katitof said it has been a bad idea before and it still is. In addition there was not a single battle in WW2 where bayonets had any important role.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★