Login

russian armor

3v3 allied strategy / builds?

12 Apr 2016, 06:26 AM

I've been doing more 3v3's in recent times and while we win about as often as we lose, we're not really climbing the ranks. So I thought I'd ask for general ideas about specific builds to try.

Generally we play 2x UKF 1x USF, but this is flexible.

- UKF 1 builds MG, Inf section, then techs up to get sappers and mortar pit. AT gun comes to stall until Cromwell.
- UKF 2 builds MG, Bren carrier, then techs up and does basically the same thing.
- USF builds several rifles, then goes Captain, usually gets Pak Howitzer.

I may be missing a few things in the USF build order. Sometimes we get a sniper as needed as UKF.

But in 3v3, on a lot of maps we just get stomped. The More OKW, the worse it usually gets.

What are viable 3v3 builds / strategies?
12 Apr 2016, 06:40 AM
Donator 11

I am not a pro-player, but I would build 3 squads with the Brits before teching up (usually 1 MG + 2 Inf.), so that the team gets more control of the map in the beginning of the game.

I would also have a Sovjet-player in the team because of the Maxims against OKW. Maxims are pretty hard to counter in the beginning of the game as OKW.
12 Apr 2016, 09:56 AM

To clarify, do you mean 2 additional squads, or 2 total? Because I wind up with 2x inf sections usually.
12 Apr 2016, 10:26 AM
Donator 11

Either that I have 2 MGs + 2 Inf. or that I have 1 MG + 3 Inf. before I tech up. Depends on the situation. I never build Bren carrier in team games (because they die so fast), but is is possible to have 1 MG + 2 Inf. + Bren carrier before teching up.

But of course the fast 1 MG + 2 Inf. is possible when the other players gives support, for example when a Sovjet-player supports with Maxims so that the Brits can tech faster.

But now you have 2 British players in a team who doesn't have so much troops on the field in the beginning of the game. Now I can think that the other team can capture a great part of the map with their Kübels if you have that build order. And your team is very vulnerable against a team who have sniper(s).
14 Apr 2016, 17:07 PM

But in 3v3, on a lot of maps we just get stomped. The More OKW, the worse it usually gets.

Could you be a bit more specific about how these games look like?
- Poor early-game map control due to flanking (e.g., such that MGs would help?)
- Being led into a stalling arty-fest vs OKW?
- Being overrun by early vehicles (e.g. Luchs)
- Lategame cheese? (Command Panther, Jagtiger)

From your collective build order, I would say that you suffer the most from lack of early aggression (no light vehicles, no squad upgrades). Learning how to use PIATs and losing that AT gun would help give you an edge. Do what it takes to keep the enemy team busy.

However, if you localize that your problems appear first in the early game, go double Vickers (it's a safe, but limiting strat, but it will get you started).
The UC is a good idea vs all-OKW, but only if you use it to push enemy squads around with it (don't waste any of your resources on UC upgrades; it never pays off).

What does your commander selection look like?

If you could link to a replay about how a "typical" stomping looks like, people would be able to give you better tips.
14 Apr 2016, 17:20 PM

My build

Starting RE into Rifle RE Rifle.

LT into AA HT into 50cal into zooks. and in key areas lay 1 or two fighting positions.

this opening will stop luchs, 222 and any roaming infantry.

captain into AT gun, 2 fuel caches then major

or you could not go major at all and lock in Armor Company and spam some m10s.

There are many ways based on your playstyle

14 Apr 2016, 17:29 PM

I've been doing more 3v3's in recent times and while we win about as often as we lose, we're not really climbing the ranks. So I thought I'd ask for general ideas about specific builds to try.

- UKF 1 builds MG, Inf section, then techs up to get sappers and mortar pit. AT gun comes to stall until Cromwell.
- UKF 2 builds MG, Bren carrier, then techs up and does basically the same thing.

I may be missing a few things in the USF build order. Sometimes we get a sniper as needed as UKF.

1UKF, 1 USF, 1 SO, prob try to stick to one side and mid, for example early one two players 1 side one mid, but the the two player one side at least one of them should come help the other player fast. that can change after u get better or u're against weaker opponents. usually it's the USF player who has to be mobile and come help from one side to other. make sure u get a fast ambulance

if u struggle against OKW, ask the SO player to build 4 maxims and 1 AT gun, OKW can do nothing.
14 Apr 2016, 23:22 PM

Could you be a bit more specific about how these games look like?
- Poor early-game map control due to flanking (e.g., such that MGs would help?)
- Being led into a stalling arty-fest vs OKW?
- Being overrun by early vehicles (e.g. Luchs)
- Lategame cheese? (Command Panther, Jagtiger)

From your collective build order, I would say that you suffer the most from lack of early aggression (no light vehicles, no squad upgrades). Learning how to use PIATs and losing that AT gun would help give you an edge. Do what it takes to keep the enemy team busy.

However, if you localize that your problems appear first in the early game, go double Vickers (it's a safe, but limiting strat, but it will get you started).
The UC is a good idea vs all-OKW, but only if you use it to push enemy squads around with it (don't waste any of your resources on UC upgrades; it never pays off).

What does your commander selection look like?

If you could link to a replay about how a "typical" stomping looks like, people would be able to give you better tips.

We switched tactics last night and did well in the one game we played. Since it's a lot of losses over a long time that I'm generally complaining about it's hard to generalise to all of them. But some of the significant problems we have faced have been:

- The enemy just has so much more field presence, while we are sometimes unable to even hold half the map. Lots of volks especially.
- We have initial success but they overwhelm our chosen defensive positions with indirect. It's quite common for the one or a mortar pit the team builds to be down before the Cromwells have arrived.
- Walking Stukkas are a major problem on some maps.
- They get panthers and heavy stuff when the game drags on.

Stalling artyfest vs OKW is a cause of quite a few losses for sure.

Volks blobs are something we see essentially every game. Double Shreck pgrens is common. Typically they have a difficult to crack combined arms force that involves heavy use of infantry, Schrecks + LMG + some vehicles and crewed weapons backed up by ISGs or Stukkas, sometimes both. That's something we realistically face most mid-games as you'd expect.

We don't lose every time. Sometimes we win, but it's anybodies game and sometimes luck dependent. Getting a good hit from a Land Mattress can turn the tide sometimes. My mines paying off will give us the armor advantage, but that is reliant on them not sweeping and me getting lucky with hitting them. We have something like a 1.1:1 WLR.

Last night we changed tactics as I said at the start of the post - I'm going for fewer commandos in the mid-game, either 0 or 1 and instead getting 3 engineers before my cromwell comes out. Then I heavily invest munitions into Bren guns to help against enemy infantry. I've only tried this once and it worked, but I don't know how tennable it will be, we've had tactical changes in the past that seemed to work initially but where it turned out to just be a coincidence that it worked first few times.

USF player also switched to SU for that game which I think helped. IS2 was great to have on hand late game along with Katy.
15 Apr 2016, 00:07 AM

Build 1 Vickers, 1 IS, tech up, sniper/sappers, sniper/sappers, ATG, caches into Cromwell spam. That's gotten me a long way. Maybe Bofors on a fuel point if you can.
15 Apr 2016, 00:24 AM
Senior Caster Badge

VS OKW you gotta win the house of the important position, if you can't get it because he is closer , go to a house near. Once you got your vickers out you will shoot him out of important house if you secure it with your Infantry Sections. Then maybe get bolster infantry and weapons, then OKW has no chance with his infantry, even the first obersoldatens will struggle if done right, but first thinking about planting mines in what position the luchs most likely will attack you.

Build Order : Vickers --> Vickers --> Infantry Section --> Bolster Infantry --> Infantry Section ---> Tech up to Platoon Command Post --> Engineer --> Bofors/AEC/Mortar Pit

Or : Vickers --> Vickers --> Ifantry Section --> Tech --> Engineers --> 2x Sniper

USF needs to get Bars ASAP aswell. Additionally he should go captain to prevent luchs rush, followed by a stuart.

Build Order : Rifle --> Rifle --> Rifle --> Rifle/Ambu --> Captain ---> Stuart

Soviets -> Maxims into Guards Rifle. The Doctrine with ISU is the most valid for lategame. Mark target helps a lot. Guards need to have weapon upgrades aswell. A quick t70 is a good choice. If Soviets wants to play tier 1 or conscripts, you go quick m5 into su76.

Build order : a second Engineer -> Maxim Maxim Maxim , then maybe another maxim or Zis gun.

The USF and UKF together are a strong force. The Russian should be able to deal with the okw on his own as long as he keeps 1 maxim covered by two other maxims, plants mines and reks.

It might not look that good for you guys in the early game, till you get up the mortar pit and haven't lost units and equiped IS with Bars, the Engineers with Piats, Guards are out, then the game will change into your favour like a miracle if you positioned and defended it right.

Mostly chosen as Doctrines for Soviets : Guards + ISU 152 + Mark Target+ il-2 Drop, Guard Motor (guards, mark target, heavy mortar +t34/85) Mechanized Assault (IS-2, T34/85, Sturmovik)

USF : Pershing , Calliope or Airbone or the Mechanized one with the engineers and m10's

UKF : Vanguard , Tactical Support, Special Weapons, also Landmatress or AVRE could help you a lot if you face a blobber

This is basically how we made it to #1 as Allies.

PS. : Don't listen to Alladin, he is noob and get's carried all day

15 Apr 2016, 15:15 PM

If you are against 3 OKW players, I suggest that one of the Brit players with good micro get double snipers since they won't have any counter to them. Lay mines down at the entrances to key buildings so they lose their falls or JLI that try to get behind your snipers.

Also, one of the British players should also fast tech cromwells. No bolster infantry, no Bofors tech, just straight to cromwells. 3 OKW players means no Non-doctrinal snares which means your cromwells can crush their infantry with impunity. After your second Cromwell go hammer for the warspeed which makes crushing easier and getting out easier. You can tech boslter squads and racks after that. Most allied players don't like getting a lot of tanks vs OKW BC they have shreks but Cromwells are fast enough to crush and get out if need be. Your Cromwell should be able to come out just after the Luchs. Most team game OKW players don't get puma because they think they can hold out for heavier armor.

This strategy has gotten me to top 3 for brit 3v3 random and 4v4 random. It works if you can keep your croms and snipers alive. Basically you'll be constantly bleeding then of MP while hardly bleeding yourself. Snipers + croms make Obers and all other OKW elite infantry fairly useless BC they can't get close to your snipers and can't dmg croms. Also, cromwells are excellent for hunting down stukas and ISGs which are what Brits struggle with most. Once enemy gets KT, get a FF with tulips, crit shot the KT with sniper and surround him with croms. If KT has infantry support, use a cromwell to crush them.

Also, vanguard regiment + commando demo charges is very useful. This will replace one of your snipers and maybe ISs with commandos and airlanding officer. End game croc seals the deal vs volks blobs.

In summary, Brits must use snipers and croms to counter OKW :)
15 Apr 2016, 17:03 PM

I can't tell you what to build as UKF in team games BUT one thing that I'm good at is 3v3 as USF. If the enemy team has all OKW, that's very good news for you to go Heavy Cavalry Company.

Go for 4 rifles into Captain, after getting the Captain get an AT gun, if you suspect light vehicles or you saw the Mech HQ get 2 AT guns just to be safe until your sherman comes. Then after getting the AT guns get 1 Ranger squad and THAT's IT, more than 1 will bleed you hard..

Also don't forget to upgrade your rifles with BARs after you get the Captain. Now tech Major and get a Sherman out, DON'T WASTE IT, It's gonna be hard trying to survive with only 1 Sherman while waiting for the Pershing.

After getting the Pershing, then it depends on your choice what to get,observe the battlefield! And if needed you can tech back to LT to get .50 cals and IMO just let the LT die, it's just gonna be MP bleed for you if you get him after 30mins.
15 Apr 2016, 18:46 PM
Senior Referee Badge

I don't play 3v3 much as usf and ukf. As allies i normally play soviets (rank 200) and as axis both factions (rank 100). So if you need help with these. Tell me and i can maybe help you out! :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
unknown 6
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak