Login

russian armor

how does one properly use "assualt engineers" ?

8 Apr 2016, 13:30 PM

i decided to start playing the ARMOR commander...

i was wondering...what is the best way to use/play using A engineers ?
8 Apr 2016, 14:17 PM

Assault engineers, much like flamer pioneers and soviet engineers, are really squishy so they should not be spearheading assaults. Instead, keep them behind your riflemen at first. Lead the way with your rifles when moving about the map. When you see the enemy, get your rifles into cover and see what a good target is for your flamerthrower squad. This could be a unit in green cover or in a building. You then move up your flamethrower squad to deal with this specific threat, taking attention to not move your flamer squad right in the middle of the entire engagement. If you do move your assault engineers right in the middle of everything, they will get focussed down really fast and you will have lost an expensive unit. So take care to move them in from an angle where terrain blocks most of the enemy firepower and where you can use some cover.

When not in engagements, you can use an assault engineer squad to lay mines and boobytrap buildings with demo charges.
8 Apr 2016, 14:25 PM

Assault engineers, much like flamer pioneers and soviet engineers, are really squishy so they should not be spearheading assaults. Instead, keep them behind your riflemen at first. Lead the way with your rifles when moving about the map. When you see the enemy, get your rifles into cover and see what a good target is for your flamerthrower squad. This could be a unit in green cover or in a building. You then move up your flamethrower squad to deal with this specific threat, taking attention to not move your flamer squad right in the middle of the entire engagement. If you do move your assault engineers right in the middle of everything, they will get focussed down really fast and you will have lost an expensive unit. So take care to move them in from an angle where terrain blocks most of the enemy firepower and where you can use some cover.

When not in engagements, you can use an assault engineer squad to lay mines and boobytrap buildings with demo charges.

so i should NOT use them like i would a sturmpio...use exclusively for mines..demos..flames ?
8 Apr 2016, 14:29 PM

so i should NOT use them like i would a sturmpio...use exclusively for mines..demos..flames ?

You can only really use them like sturmpios in the first few minutes of the game where you can overwhelm an enemy with a quick Assault gren + Rifle combo.

After that, they are too squishy and too short ranged to be used like sturmpios, and should instead be used like Ostheer Pioneers but with a bit more firepower.
8 Apr 2016, 14:45 PM

i decided to start playing the ARMOR commander...

i was wondering...what is the best way to use/play using A engineers ?

Planting demos, putting down mines and repairing stuff.

They are assault only from name, so try not to use them for any kind of offensive combat, because they are as sturdy and tough as butter on a hot rock.
8 Apr 2016, 15:17 PM

Planting demos, putting down mines and repairing stuff.

They are assault only from name, so try not to use them for any kind of offensive combat, because they are as sturdy and tough as butter on a hot rock.

i was trying to come up with a new build order...i have such a horrible time with OKW..and a double sturmpio start...

that is why i thought i would go a flaming / mine build...

8 Apr 2016, 16:44 PM

Like sappers or pios. Support unit that can beat many squads up close.
9 Apr 2016, 08:06 AM

i was trying to come up with a new build order...i have such a horrible time with OKW..and a double sturmpio start...

that is why i thought i would go a flaming / mine build...

Vs OKW, IMO, the best solution is to go fast to M20 and then MG. So, 2xRE and 3 RF then LT then M20. 1 RE with minesweeper.

With 2 RE you can Cap quite fast and reach 50 Fuel easily. Use RF to keep pressure (move RF together) using M20 in second line. Then Captain---stuart---major--E8 spam!. If you are good in unit preservation (ambulance) you will have a lot of resource to make Fuel caches and build bunkers.

I use Riflemen Company, with flamers RE, flares, and a lot of E8. White phosphorous is very very good to kill enemy static position (like MGs inside houses or Leig).
9 Apr 2016, 09:08 AM

i normally hide mine, and spam demos. surprises the shit out of the axis player :banana:

unless i need to clear a building with the flamers.

5 May 2016, 09:10 AM

your honestly better off not spending MP on that, when it could have gone for your core 3 rifles

they just die so easily and any competent player will focus them down before the engi can actually have any impact

i only use armor company exclusively for those tank call ins, incase i need anti tank right immediately and i havent teched yet
6 May 2016, 08:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2016, 09:10 AMjugg
your honestly better off not spending MP on that, when it could have gone for your core 3 rifles

they just die so easily and any competent player will focus them down before the engi can actually have any impact

i only use armor company exclusively for those tank call ins, incase i need anti tank right immediately and i havent teched yet

I agree, Assault Engineers will cause you to bleed way too much manpower.
15 May 2016, 14:06 PM

I have had some success with assault engineers against sturm pio's at the first few engagements, even had a few wipes. I find them handy when sturms rush your cut off or important buildings at the start of the game.

When i predict they are going to rush there sturms i build a engineer straight away and use my rear echelon to support. I try to bait the sturms into my engineers with the rear echelon while having my assault engineers hiding behind a sight blocker or have my engineers flank the sturms on the rear and catch them by surprise.

But as said by others they are only good at close range and they are only good early on in the game as a assault unit.later in the game use them for mines, demo's, mine sweeping burning out mgs and so forth.
18 Aug 2016, 17:40 PM

They should be called 'Support engineers' rather than 'Assault engineers'.

If German is using garrisons early then get flamethrower. If not then save Mu to plant demos because hes German and will garrison buildings at some point. At which time you get to execute his squad for 90MU. Best thing about AE are those lovely demo charges.
19 Aug 2016, 00:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2016, 09:10 AMjugg

Completely agreed. Imo, they need to get a price increase and be given Thompsons or less received accuracy OR a major price reduction to be a useful unit. Even their super fast repairs at vet 1 are useless, because USF tanks have crew repair. Unless you are specifically on a map with a lot of buildings, like La Gleize Breakout for example, do not even bother. And even if you are on such a map, they are far too squishy to assault a building directly and cost insane amount of MP to reinforce. When eg. assaulting a house garrisoned by STG-44 Volks, there is a very good chance that they will get killed even with the flamer against a house. That´s how weak they are for 280 MP!!!!! They cost the same as Riflemen and even more to reinforce FFS!! At this time, they are severely overpriced for their actual role. They are basically an incredibly expensive squad to place Demo Charges.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★