Login

russian armor

"Eternal crusade" or MG-42 vs M1910 Maxim

8 Mar 2016, 07:45 AM

It is real eternal crusade, eternal war, which started when CoH 2 was borned. And we should continue it for teh Greater Good... of for teh Emperah or Chaos Goods, chose what you like more.

But anyway, there are a lot of people (like me), who saying, that Maxim is 100% worst HMG in game with super-small arc of fire and low AoE supression, meanwhile MG-42 is the best MG in game with super-wide arc of fire, enourmous AoE supression and AP rounds, which makes it universal platform.

There are also people, who saying, that Maxim is the best MG in game, cos it has fastest set up time, huge direct target damage and has 2 mens more in squad, while MG-42 is worse, because it might be smoked and flanked and both of those factors are deadly for MG-42 becaues of slow set up, slow turning speed and also, only 4 men in squad - pretty vunerable too.

I also know, that people like to call Maxim "offensive" MG, which is good somehow in rushes and attacks, and MG-42 "deffensive" with such wide arc and supression. So, it makes them incompareble.

But, this is wrong, because Maxim (and its upgraded version DShK) is ONLY MG of soviet union, so they have no options. And also, I think, that MG-42 is... vay better as offensive MG, because of same wide arc of fire and large AoE supression. So we must compare them.

I think, that ALL HMGs in game should be ONLY deffensive, because that's what they designed for in a first place, and that's what for personally I need HMGs. HMGs should hold positions and protect important areas of battlefield from infantry invasions. MG-42, Vickers, Browning... they all doing that job perfect, but Maxim don't.

3 times smaller arc of fire means that you have to predict, where from enemy infantry will go with 3 time better accuracy, than MG-42 users should do. It also means, that for to cover same area, that can cover MG-42 alone I need 3 Maxims! It's just not normal!

There is also a lot of small problems with Maxim, like "it is on wheels platform, so it turning on move way slower, than any other MGs" or "gunner killed - men goes to MG - dying - another one goes to MG-dying...".

So, I suggest to Relic to forget about idea of "offensive-deffensive MGs". It is fail, it doesn't work right. Make it please, as it was in vCoH - all MGs are almost same, with almost same ranges, arcs, damage, maybe with different abilities. Will be much better for everyone.

Yes, it goes against your "super-duper idea" of assymetrical balance, but don't forget - main word is balance, not assymetrical. If you can't get balance like you wanted, to it right.
8 Mar 2016, 08:07 AM

Do you even watch ESL games?
8 Mar 2016, 08:08 AM

Git gud dude, really..
8 Mar 2016, 08:28 AM

One is a part of the Soviet faction and faces the German factions. The other is part of the Wehrmacht faction and faces the Allied factions.
The Maxim is perfect in the role of defending a section. But just like all other Machineguns it is a Support weapon. It supports your other infantry, it should not fight on its own.

"because Maxim (and its upgraded version DShK) is ONLY MG of soviet union, "
ONLY MG

Brits have Vickers. Thats one.
Americans have .50 cal. Thats one
OKW have MG-34. Thats one
OKH have MG-42. Also one.
Soviets have Dshk and Maxim. That is two.

8 Mar 2016, 08:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2016, 08:07 AMVamp
Do you even watch ESL games?

I prefer to judge balance not from "some nerd's games in some tournament", but from my own experience, which I belive more to. And from my own experience I can say, that it is impossible to play with only maxims, when I have a chanse I always try to steal some MG-42s or 34s and only with them I can fell myself quiet - my frontline is defended right now.

One is a part of the Soviet faction and faces the German factions. The other is part of the Wehrmacht faction and faces the Allied factions.
The Maxim is perfect in the role of defending a section. But just like all other Machineguns it is a Support weapon. It supports your other infantry, it should not fight on its own.

"because Maxim (and its upgraded version DShK) is ONLY MG of soviet union, "
ONLY MG

Soviets have Dshk and Maxim. That is two.

Maxim is awful in the role of defending, becuase it has small AoE and small arc of fire. It cripples Maxim hardly. And I never said that Maxim should be able to fight alone. It is, of course, support weapon, but it doesn't work as support. Too weak.

And DShK is not much different than maxim. Same arc of fire, same set up time, same low AoE. It only has bigger damage and waaay biger target supression. That's all. And it is really 1 MG, because if you don't take doctrine with DShK you have only Maxim. If you take DShK doctrine, then... will you call Maxims more? I don't think so.

8 Mar 2016, 08:46 AM

But anyway, there are a lot of people (like me), who saying, that Maxim is 100% worst HMG in game

Stopped reading right about here. There is a reason why maxim spam is a thing.
8 Mar 2016, 08:49 AM

OP is so delusional. Just give it up already, it's almost to the point where it isn't even funny anymore.
8 Mar 2016, 09:18 AM

If you want we can nerf the set up time to mg 42 and give it the same arc rember is a 6 men

Still this will destroy Soviet
8 Mar 2016, 09:33 AM

Maxim beats the mg42 in a 1vs1 fight.

Maxim gets more effective when spammed, mg42 spam leaves you wide open to hard counters.
The maxim spam also negates the weakness of the smaller arc, making it even better (not to mention said weakness is mitigated by 6 men squads and faster set-up time).

A-moving maxims is actually better then regular moving maxims. Never a-move mg42's.

And a maxim in a house is good enough defence for anything you need, but when you go for maxims, you're not the one defending.

Maxim also has lovely 5% suppresion bulletin which can be stacked, just to have another advantage in engagements (for reference, the 10% suppresion on mg42 was removed since it was OP).

And ofc, maxim is cheaper than mg42.

But don't let these facts distract you, i am sure you will be spamming threads like these till the end of time without ever changing your opinion.

Just like aaa.

8 Mar 2016, 09:36 AM
Donator 22

maxim is fine.... aaa's clone
8 Mar 2016, 09:37 AM

Maxim is totally fine, have pushed enough people back with just maxims Kappa
8 Mar 2016, 09:57 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2016, 08:46 AMTNrg

Stopped reading right about here. There is a reason why maxim spam is a thing.

OP is so delusional. Just give it up already, it's almost to the point where it isn't even funny anymore.

+1 to both

/thread
8 Mar 2016, 10:01 AM
Donator 11

What about NO? I love the concept of offensive - defensive mgs. These are the little assymetrical things that make this game fun and deep. Actually no matchup is as greatly designed as soviet - ostheer one.

Oh, and btw, maxim is not the only offensive mg in game. M2HB is also great in this role, just comes too late and in less used tier.
8 Mar 2016, 10:16 AM

I prefer to judge balance not from "some nerd's games in some tournament", but from my own experience, which I belive more to. And from my own experience I can say, that it is impossible to play with only maxims, when I have a chanse I always try to steal some MG-42s or 34s and only

I dont believe some nerd Poster and only believe my own experience in which maxims are on the stronger side of balance.
Hahaha never go full retard like that, it can leave serious inrepairable damage
8 Mar 2016, 10:58 AM

I prefer to judge balance not from "some nerd's games in some tournament", but from my own experience, which I belive more to.

That's quite insulting to throw away people's work like that. I am not sure then what you are doing in "some nerd's game"'s forum, discussing "some nerd"'s unit balance. If you cannot handle other people's opinion, go write a blog instead.
8 Mar 2016, 11:02 AM
Donator 11

That's quite insulting to throw away people's work like that. I am not sure then what you are doing in "some nerd's game"'s forum, discussing "some nerd"'s unit balance. If you cannot handle other people's opinion, go write a blog instead.

Oh, man, you are trying to reason with troll or fanboy. In both cases you are doomed :hansREKT:
8 Mar 2016, 11:18 AM

Maxim beats the mg42 in a 1vs1 fight.

Maxim gets more effective when spammed, mg42 spam leaves you wide open to hard counters.
The maxim spam also negates the weakness of the smaller arc, making it even better (not to mention said weakness is mitigated by 6 men squads and faster set-up time).

A-moving maxims is actually better then regular moving maxims. Never a-move mg42's.

And a maxim in a house is good enough defence for anything you need, but when you go for maxims, you're not the one defending.

Maxim also has lovely 5% suppresion bulletin which can be stacked, just to have another advantage in engagements (for reference, the 10% suppresion on mg42 was removed since it was OP).

And ofc, maxim is cheaper than mg42.

But don't let these facts distract you, i am sure you will be spamming threads like these till the end of time without ever changing your opinion.

Just like aaa.

Ok, let's go on points:

1. Maxim is effetive when spammed. I should say, that MG-42 is quiet effective when it spammed too. And even more effective. Just make 3 MG-42's and entire your frontline is closed for enemy infantry, so large area they can cover by fire. And I don't think that it is a good unit, which only works good "when spammed". It is actually sign of trouble, that unit is broken, that you have to use more and more, for to make it effective.

2. Maxims are good in buildings. Of course, and that's only way to use Maxim as deffensive weapon. But not always you have buildings nearby of point, which needs to be covered, or have right placed building... It's too unstable thing. MG-42 is awesome both in buildings and in usuall cover.

3. Maxim cheaper than MG-42. Yea, don't forget, that you have to pay (and say goodbye to snipers and penals) for building T2 for to get those "cheaper" maxims. MG-42 costs more just because they are now in T0, before that they both had equial 240 MP cost. So, prices here is not a balancing feature.

USSR is pretty poor in defensive game right now. No bunkers, no fireing positions, no emplacements... And even HMG is not suppoused to be deffensive. It makes disbalance in inner mechanic of USSR - too much offensive, to low defensive. All other factions are balanced in that way, more or less.

If you don't want to make Maxim defensive MG, then give to USSR alternative - HMG emplacements.
Phy
8 Mar 2016, 11:21 AM

Only fix to MAX is the ''feature'' of the guy who carries the gun being the first to die while retreating.

Anything else, MAXIM RATATATATATTA
8 Mar 2016, 12:34 PM

Are you and aaa related at all? Seems like you both make balance issues where there isn't any. The Ost Sov matchup is literally the most balanced matchup in the game, it's the gimmicky WFA that screw people over.
8 Mar 2016, 14:41 PM

I prefer to judge balance not from "some nerd's games in some tournament", but from my own experience, which I belive more to. And from my own experience I can say, that it is impossible to play with only maxims, when I have a chanse I always try to steal some MG-42s or 34s and only with them I can fell myself quiet - my frontline is defended right now.

Clearly, instead of balancing the game around people who actually know to play and understand the game inside and out, it should be catered around potatoes like you :facepalm:

Learn to play. If there's any balance issue, its how OP the maxim is when actually used aggressively like its supposed to. When everyone in a thread telling your you're wrong, there's a solid chance you're wrong.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★