Login

russian armor

Veterancy

11 Feb 2016, 06:41 AM
Senior Editor Badge

As those of us who play all five coh2 factions know, veterancy works the same way for every faction and for every unit. Your unit does or takes damage, it gets veterancy. It kills models or tanks, it gets veterancy, etc.

Those of us that played coh1 know that the veterancy systems were different from each faction.
For those that don't know...
Veterancy was only added when a model or tank was killed, not damage.
U.S. faction had more or less the current vet system
Wehrmacht had purchasable veterancy
PE had veterancy like U.S., but values were shared to nearby units and options were given to the player
Brits had veterancy attached only to officers.

So, anyway, I see a lot of talk about purchasable veterancy and how people miss it.
Why is that?
While it made sense historically, to bring in veteran/crack/elite troops from the Eastern Front, it seems, from a gameplay perspective, that this system does not aid in unit preservation and instead forces players to choose between new units/tech and veterancy bonuses. Why do some people want this/think it's a good system?

Do people think the PE system of veterancy was/would be a good model to use in the future? It was cool to get vet on non-combat units like kettenkrad.

The British vet system seemed a bit silly as well. Veterancy adds another dynamic level to unit preservation that builds on the limited resources/weapon upgrades that promote unit preservation.

In general, though, it seems silly to drastically change things that aren't broken. But why do some people do want to change the veterancy systems for some or all factions?
11 Feb 2016, 06:57 AM

the only problem i have with veterancy in coh2 is, that its so much faster than it used to be in vcoh. i remember having vet 3 riflemens were really awesome and you used them that way then too.

in coh2 i can have a rather bad game and still come out with multiple vet 3 squads. honestly i dont even pay that much attention to vet because of that.

oh and PE vet system was AWESOME ( balanced or not aside), it REALLY gave you some options and adjust your playstyle (def vet for AC to scale into mid or off vet for snowballing that early game? <444>3)
11 Feb 2016, 07:17 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Loved the PE veterancy (the upgrade part, not the blobbing part.), It's a bit late for changes but i wish they would have done something to differentiate the factions more.
11 Feb 2016, 07:24 AM

True. Differentiation of veterancy would definitely add more depth and allow for customization if you will.
11 Feb 2016, 07:28 AM

veterancy is stupid, nothing but flares and capping points with vehicles.
11 Feb 2016, 07:58 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2016, 07:28 AMpoop
veterancy is stupid, nothing but flares and capping points with vehicles.

...veterancy is a core mechanic of the game.
11 Feb 2016, 09:22 AM

...veterancy is a core mechanic of the game.

im just snarking that soviets have to reach vet2 before most units receive any combat bonuses.. unlike all the WFA+ factions.
11 Feb 2016, 09:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2016, 09:22 AMpoop

im just snarking that soviets have to reach vet2 before most units receive any combat bonuses.. unlike all the WFA+ factions.

aehm nope?`most units get a ability at vet 1 atleast most i can think of right (grens, riflemens, all kinds of mgs, all kinds of atgs..etc)
11 Feb 2016, 09:55 AM

Purchasable vet was such a massive nonsens that made the vanilla WM unattractive.

You have to earn it bitch!
11 Feb 2016, 18:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

aehm nope?`most units get a ability at vet 1 atleast most i can think of right (grens, riflemens, all kinds of mgs, all kinds of atgs..etc)

This applies to EFA. After WFA + UKF this is no longer true.

SU Howitzer, RET, LT, M20, M15, Stuart, Major, Sherman (it's practically a stat boost), Pathfinders, Paratroopers, Greyhound, Pershing, Rangers, CalliOP, Volks, Raketen (kinda, you don't get penalization while cammo), ISG, Stuka, Hetzer, IS, Vickers (kinda), Bofor, RE, Firefly, Avre, Croco, M3,

I think i didn't miss any unit.
11 Feb 2016, 18:51 PM

This applies to EFA. After WFA + UKF this is no longer true.

SU Howitzer, RET, LT, M20, M15, Stuart, Major, Sherman (it's practically a stat boost), Pathfinders, Paratroopers, Greyhound, Pershing, Rangers, CalliOP, Volks, Raketen (kinda, you don't get penalization while cammo), ISG, Stuka, Hetzer, IS, Vickers (kinda), Bofor, RE, Firefly, Avre, Croco, M3,

I think i didn't miss any unit.

thx for the correction (y)
15 Feb 2016, 07:15 AM

I don't understand why you would ever cap territory with a KV2. A near useless vet one ability that in over 50 games played with a kv2 I have never used it or had reason to.
15 Feb 2016, 07:48 AM

I have used capping point ability like 5 times in my 40 soviet games. Its not that Bad but its definitely not great either
15 Feb 2016, 07:49 AM

Hello.

I am ashamed to say that but i liked the brit veterancy system :o

Kozo.
15 Feb 2016, 07:59 AM

As those of us who play all five coh2 factions know, veterancy works the same way for every faction and for every unit. Your unit does or takes damage, it gets veterancy. It kills models or tanks, it gets veterancy, etc.

Those of us that played coh1 know that the veterancy systems were different from each faction.
For those that don't know...
Veterancy was only added when a model or tank was killed, not damage.
U.S. faction had more or less the current vet system
Wehrmacht had purchasable veterancy
PE had veterancy like U.S., but values were shared to nearby units and options were given to the player
Brits had veterancy attached only to officers.

So, anyway, I see a lot of talk about purchasable veterancy and how people miss it.
Why is that?
While it made sense historically, to bring in veteran/crack/elite troops from the Eastern Front, it seems, from a gameplay perspective, that this system does not aid in unit preservation and instead forces players to choose between new units/tech and veterancy bonuses. Why do some people want this/think it's a good system?

Do people think the PE system of veterancy was/would be a good model to use in the future? It was cool to get vet on non-combat units like kettenkrad.

The British vet system seemed a bit silly as well. Veterancy adds another dynamic level to unit preservation that builds on the limited resources/weapon upgrades that promote unit preservation.

In general, though, it seems silly to drastically change things that aren't broken. But why do some people do want to change the veterancy systems for some or all factions?

I liked US veterancy system on Coh1 but it would completely break the game to apply a similar model to Coh2.
Imo, the best that can be done today is probably apply a general nerf of 20% veterancy speed rate for all infantry squads, they are vetting too fast actually.
15 Feb 2016, 14:10 PM

Some Vet requirements are also pretty absurd.
I played a game two days ago where the King Tiger of my mate killed more than 100 infantry units and had just got to Vet2. I know, it's because of the small damage that inf models take, but that's somehow stupid in my opinion.

With this concept, tank hunters reach Vet much easier, while allrounders such as the Tiger, the KT and the P4 (Sherman and T34 on allied sides) have a much harder time reaching Vet. Am I correct?
15 Feb 2016, 14:24 PM

Some Vet requirements are also pretty absurd.
I played a game two days ago where the King Tiger of my mate killed more than 100 infantry units and had just got to Vet2. I know, it's because of the small damage that inf models take, but that's somehow stupid in my opinion.

With this concept, tank hunters reach Vet much easier, while allrounders such as the Tiger, the KT and the P4 (Sherman and T34 on allied sides) have a much harder time reaching Vet. Am I correct?

More or less.

The veterancy requirements are different for every units. Frontline infantery have very little requirements to get vet3, contrary to heavy vehicles that require 3-4 time the same amount of xp to get to the same level.
Also, most frontline infantery have an AT weapon somewhere that help them to vet very fast. as dammaging a tank give a lot of XP.

Kozo.
15 Feb 2016, 14:56 PM

No unit should ever be vet 1, or 2 when only having a single kill or two. I see this mostly on British units. I say bring back kills to vet up..
15 Feb 2016, 15:23 PM

No unit should ever be vet 1, or 2 when only having a single kill or two. I see this mostly on British units. I say bring back kills to vet up..

So axis units who fight against allied overwhelming numbers will get plenty of xp, while allies will get tigers to 25% HP and get nothing? How about no.
15 Feb 2016, 15:30 PM

So axis units who fight against allied overwhelming numbers will get plenty of xp, while allies will get tigers to 25% HP and get nothing? How about no.

Was meaning in a more infantry way should have stated it more clearly..
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★