Login

russian armor

I&R Pathfinder Suggestion

8 Feb 2016, 11:05 AM

So USF's Recon Company is widely regarded as being very lacklustre. While that is a discussion fit for another topic, I just wanted to share a small suggestion on how to make Recon more enticing by giving I&R Pathfinders more utility.

So I&R Pathfinders are unlocked at 2 CP and cost 280 MP for a three model unit. They are a fragile recon unit that can call in an effective quick-strike 155mm arty barrage. And that is essentially where their utility starts and ends.

So my suggestion is to add the "Assassinate" ability to them from AA, alongside a single scoped M1 Garand so that this ability can be used. This Assassinate ability is a single shot that kills one model of your choosing, and could cost 10 or 15 muni with a 15-20 second cooldown (up for debate). This would grant them more utility and give USF a makeshift marksman. It might even entice more Recon Company usage.

Thoughts?
8 Feb 2016, 11:15 AM
8 Feb 2016, 11:16 AM

first thought, useless. the commander is simply good for trolling (which I like) but honestly that's all.
8 Feb 2016, 11:16 AM
Patrion 14

They're actually cheaper, not sure by how much, but by (khaled) ALOT.

They have the best arty in the game, for only 120 (?) muni.
Which comes the earliest of all other arties in the game.

The I&R pathfinders are fine, the Airnorne Pathfinders on the other hand are not. They should spawn out buildings and maby that snipe ability.
8 Feb 2016, 11:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2016, 11:16 AMEsxile
first thought, useless. the commander is simply good for trolling (which I like) but honestly that's all.

Thanks for your pointless comment.
8 Feb 2016, 11:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2016, 11:16 AMLooney
They're actually cheaper, not sure by how much, but by (khaled) ALOT.

They have the best arty in the game, for only 120 (?) muni.
Which comes the earliest of all other arties in the game.

The I&R pathfinders are fine, the Airnorne Pathfinders on the other hand are not. They should spawn out buildings and maby that snipe ability.

I disagree. Airborne Pathfinders are fine, but I&R Pathfinders are not. The only advantage the I&R arty barrage has over a doctrinal 155mm barrage ability is timing. I don't think many would complain if the (crappy) Paradrop ability was replaced by a 155mm barrage lol.

IR Pathies need more utility. Adding this ability would do just that.
8 Feb 2016, 11:23 AM

Thanks for your pointless comment.

What are you hoping for with a snipe ability on a recon commander? Are you really sure to make the commander more appealing? not at all. Who is going to use a commander just to have a sniper mode on a 3 men squad. Or it will be OP and nerf a month after release or useless on a not less useless commander.

Sorry for hurting your feeling.
8 Feb 2016, 11:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2016, 11:23 AMEsxile

What are you hoping for with a snipe ability on a recon commander? Are you really sure to make the commander more appealing? not at all. Who is going to use a commander just to have a sniper mode on a 3 men squad. Or it will be OP and nerf a month after release or useless on a not less useless commander.

Sorry for hurting your feeling.

It wouldn't do any harm. Giving Recon Company anything at this stage is a plus.

It seems like you are just disagreeing for the sake of it.
8 Feb 2016, 14:36 PM

its a good idea, i mean, why not?
8 Feb 2016, 15:07 PM

Pick the commander for a single unit just for countersnipe?
8 Feb 2016, 15:45 PM

So USF's Recon Company is widely regarded as being very lacklustre. While that is a discussion fit for another topic, I just wanted to share a small suggestion on how to make Recon more enticing by giving I&R Pathfinders more utility.

So I&R Pathfinders are unlocked at 2 CP and cost 280 MP for a three model unit. They are a fragile recon unit that can call in an effective quick-strike 155mm arty barrage. And that is essentially where their utility starts and ends.

So my suggestion is to add the "Assassinate" ability to them from AA, alongside a single scoped M1 Garand so that this ability can be used. This Assassinate ability is a single shot that kills one model of your choosing, and could cost 10 or 15 muni with a 15-20 second cooldown (up for debate). This would grant them more utility and give USF a makeshift marksman. It might even entice more Recon Company usage.

Thoughts?
Reminds me of the infantry sections in vCoH where the could upgrade to a recon element package that allowed them to have a 'snipe' ability.
8 Feb 2016, 15:51 PM

I&R pathfinders are so cheap that they don't really need the utility; they scout, lay beacons, and call down arty. I'll even go as far and say that they're one of the most balanced units in the game because you get what you pay for and nothing else: and if you want to give combat ability, they can still use weapon racks and their ambush camouflage.

I think that the ability your describing would be nice for the Airborne Pathfinders though.

I love that your trying to think of much needed buffs for Recon company, but I think those buffs should be to the Gayhound, forward observers, and the retarded paradrop ability. (Although double zook paras behind enemy lines have won me one game.)
8 Feb 2016, 16:46 PM
Patrion 28

they could use some different kinds of artillery to stay interesting. smoke is always a good one.
8 Feb 2016, 17:08 PM

It would only be balanced if

1. Sufficiently long cool-down
2. Don't work on retreating units or has a pretty low success %

Why? Because it would lead to cheesy squad wipes where you have I&R pathfinders constantly picking off the last models on retreating squads.

Personally I like the Airborne Pathfinders as they are now - I'd much rather have a free passive ability that works some of the time and frees up Muni for those delicious Paratrooper upgrades.
8 Feb 2016, 18:58 PM

Instead, why not just give them criting rifles like regular pathfinders. I don't understand the flavor difference. They are lesser versions in every way so they could just be outright replaced. Their off map could be added simply as a commander ability to replace them.

Also for 280 MP you are losing a rifle squad, and you are getting a squad with very little utility outside of an OK arty ability.

This unit and commander need to be seriously overhauled. What is the use of the Greyhound again?
8 Feb 2016, 22:05 PM

Instead, why not just give them criting rifles like regular pathfinders. I don't understand the flavor difference. They are lesser versions in every way so they could just be outright replaced. Their off map could be added simply as a commander ability to replace them.

Also for 280 MP you are losing a rifle squad, and you are getting a squad with very little utility outside of an OK arty ability.

This unit and commander need to be seriously overhauled. What is the use of the Greyhound again?

trying to make canister shot work again...

its just not the same it used to be :guyokay:
8 Feb 2016, 22:13 PM

This isn't a bad idea. Personally, I'm more a fan of making them basically a normal pathfinder squad with access to the arty drop and naturally a cost increase, but this is definitely a good way to go too.
8 Feb 2016, 23:15 PM
Patrion 15

10 or 15 AMU cost? Really!? It should at least be 30(come to think of It even 30 is very cheap) with current amu income but without grand change, I think making pathfinders spawnable from house is better.
...But honestly I would take If they just buff or fix The Beacon.
-Support weapons crewed by paratroopers should able to reinforce inside beacon influence.
-I'm not sure that paratroopers gets their accuracy bonus. No indication?
-If they really are getting that aura buff, I think all support weapons which crewed by paratrooper should get that bonus aswell.
-3 Beacon points -which creates triangle- should give minimap vision inside their triangle area. Just like in VCOH.
9 Feb 2016, 00:50 AM

Why does everyone want them to be more like airborne pathfinders? They are dedicated scouts.

Buff their camo, so they can remain camoflauged while moving and increase the range of their artillery so they don't have to expose themselves everytime to use it.

Then you can hide these guys all over the map and keep LOS on your enemy all the time. That's basically how I use them now, they just need to be a little better at it.
Uhu
9 Feb 2016, 01:19 AM

Interesting idea, but I feel that will overshadow their scouting capabilities.

Some changes:
>IRP remains in camo while moving, like the UKF commandos (I just realized Omega_warrior suggested this).
>Increase their XP gain from the use of artillery.

Currently, I use them to keep a line of sight and occasionally annoy the OKW players by calling arty strikes/fake strikes on their med HQ just before their troops retreat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★