Login

russian armor

why is the IS-2 so inaccurate?

29 Jan 2016, 22:18 PM

i just "tested" a vet 2 IS-2 against a 2-star, 4-man sturmpioneer squad. at roughly the tank's length in distance. Both were holding still.

-It took 6 shots to kill the squad

-3 of the kills were from the MG

-4 shots overshot, 1 under, 1 hit.

dafuq.

no more vodka for tank crews!
29 Jan 2016, 22:25 PM
Patrion 14

Have no own opinion about the accuracy of the unit.

However, a 6 shot sample size feels very small. Repeat the experiment 20 times and see if that verifies your current opinion.
29 Jan 2016, 23:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 22:25 PMLe Wish
Have no own opinion about the accuracy of the unit.

However, a 6 shot sample size feels very small. Repeat the experiment 20 times and see if that verifies your current opinion.

I agree.
29 Jan 2016, 23:56 PM

+1 You're right, the IS-2 is extremely inaccurate, especially when moving.
30 Jan 2016, 00:31 AM
Benefactor 355

IS2 accuracy is good when standing still, same apples for both variants of T34.
30 Jan 2016, 00:44 AM

Permanently Banned
Its innacurate because it would probably one shot a lot if it hit regularly. Not sure about a good way to balance it.
30 Jan 2016, 01:54 AM

The AoE effect of IS-2 is one of the biggest AoE effects of all heavies (barring the ISU). Of course, you don't get to see that this often because the IS-2 will overshoot by 50% of its scatter area.

If you feel like sniping infantry/weapon-teams/snipers with the IS-2 you should be prepared to use attack ground:
- Find a nice flat area (elevation and other things might mess up with targeting)
- Locate your target
- Now, displace your pointer by 4-6 infantry models closer to IS-2 (so that you under-aim)
- Hit attack ground on the target location and enjoy the fireworks

Bonus tip:
- If the enemy is standing IN FRONT of a shotblocker (e.g. wall), aim for the shotblocker instead; the AoE will decimate the infantry.

Enjoy!

PS: The same also applies to T34's if you want to make their performance a bit more bearable (their AoE is much smaller though)
30 Jan 2016, 05:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The AoE effect of IS-2 is one of the biggest AoE effects of all heavies (barring the ISU). Of course, you don't get to see that this often because the IS-2 will overshoot by 50% of its scatter area.

If you feel like sniping infantry/weapon-teams/snipers with the IS-2 you should be prepared to use attack ground:
- Find a nice flat area (elevation and other things might mess up with targeting)
- Locate your target
- Now, displace your pointer by 4-6 infantry models closer to IS-2 (so that you under-aim)
- Hit attack ground on the target location and enjoy the fireworks

Bonus tip:
- If the enemy is standing IN FRONT of a shotblocker (e.g. wall), aim for the shotblocker instead; the AoE will decimate the infantry.

Enjoy!

PS: The same also applies to T34's if you want to make their performance a bit more bearable (their AoE is much smaller though)

Quality post. Here we have the explanation.
30 Jan 2016, 06:28 AM

does attack-ground nullify scatter?
30 Jan 2016, 07:24 AM

Cause realism, it was decided that the game should simulate Russian tankers on vodka-hence the T-34-76 and IS-2 are horrifically inaccurate. I would be too if I was inhebriated.
30 Jan 2016, 07:55 AM

You might need to do some testing first because most units scatter allot less when they attack ground...
30 Jan 2016, 08:38 AM

So you are telling me I must attack ground with the IS-2 in order to hit something??

30 Jan 2016, 08:44 AM

So you are telling me I must attack ground with the IS-2 in order to hit something??

It applies to infantries support weapons, not vehicles...similar to dozer brumbar...
30 Jan 2016, 08:58 AM

You just have to stand still
30 Jan 2016, 09:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2016, 06:28 AMpoop
does attack-ground nullify scatter?

Nope. However, attack ground allows you to control scatter instead. This way, you can manually compensate for the severe overshooting biases that some weapons have (e.g., IS2, PIATs, KV2, Suxton).

Here's a demonstration of a KV-2 that is using that trick: https://youtu.be/kmO0WWtVt-M?t=47s (the KV-2 is in siege mode)

Remember that if you use attack ground DIRECTLY on the enemy sniper, you will probably never hit it; you have to aim in front of it (by quite a bit).

You can always pray to :hansRNG: instead. IIRC most tank weapons have the same accuracy chance (2-7%), which gets dropped to half while you are moving. Now, when was the last time you saw a pre-buff AEC kill anything?
30 Jan 2016, 09:38 AM

Nope. However, attack ground allows you to control scatter instead. This way, you can manually compensate for the severe overshooting biases that some weapons have (e.g., IS2, PIATs, KV2, Suxton).

attack ground shots seems to use different scatter values and scatter less at least for some weapons (brumbar dozer)...
6 Feb 2016, 17:53 PM

What I believe and have known is attacking team weapons directly with tanks produce higher accuracy shots over attack ground'ing team weapons. I guess team weapons are taken into account as just like vehicles ( ATG with a higher target size, hmg and mortar significantly smaller target size) so direct-attack command goes through the hit or miss roll similiar to people preferring right clicking on an enemy vehicle with a tank, rather than attack grounding the enemy vehicle when engaging with clear line of sight. Because the miss roll initiates the scatter roll, you have extra accuracy and better results with direct-attack command. I believe this mechanic is for tracking projectiles such as normal tank shots and at gun shots excluding brumbar like tanks' projectiles.

So this is why you can't have brumbar rolling hit and therefore can't have a high explosive brumbar shot tracing your tank just like other tank shots which track their target when rolled hit.

According to coh2-stats.com , brummbar has accuracy values just like other tanks and it's ordnance is in the same ballistic weapons class just like regular tanks', yet the above statement shows that they behave a bit differently. So I have reason to believe accuracy means nothing to the brummbar , scatter is the only mechanic in works here.

In my belief, since Brumbar and dozer (slow projectile, non-tracking) shot can not roll hit or miss there is no difference between auto attacking or ground attacking a static enemy other than auto attack choosing it's own point of choice to shoot versus your choice of point (I would like a clarification on this, I believe auto attacking chooses the model which has the unit symbol on it).

Yet attacking mobile units, especially infantry is a different story. It is better to attack ground manually when dealing with moving infantry because auto attacking tends to target the initial position of the infantry squad and by the time the slow moving shot gets there, the squad will have already significantly moved away from the initial position. So by attacking ground; you can lead your shot and effectively kill units, though this takes a little bit of practice but is easy to master.

NOTE: These theories are constructed by my experience, guides I've read all over the forum, and I have interpolated some results so I would very much appreciate a dissection and analysis of my thoughts.

So unless proven, don't take my word yet to prevent misinformation.
6 Feb 2016, 18:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 23:56 PMF1sh
+1 You're right, the IS-2 is extremely inaccurate, especially when moving.

Every single tank in the game got 2x accuracy and 2x scatter penalty while moving
6 Feb 2016, 18:49 PM

Every single tank in the game got 2x accuracy and 2x scatter penalty while moving

Not true. Tanks have different movement penalties i believe. For example panther has a horrible movement modifier at 0.5 while most have 0.75 (comet i believe again)
Can someone who knows about stats n shit clarify that for me? Would appreciate it
6 Feb 2016, 19:01 PM

Most are 0.5 (0.5 is the normal moving accuracy penalty), while some are 0.75.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★