Login

russian armor

Stugs - Current Status

26 Jan 2016, 22:36 PM

Stugs have always been my favorite vehicle when it came to Germany in WW2, and naturally this carries over to my COH2 play. Whenever I'm able to manage it, I try to fit a Stug into my lineup and usually I have a great time with it.

However, I am also aware that it has no place in the current meta, and when push comes to shove its an addition, not a necessity. I've seen it myself when I go through an entire game never even considering touching the stug.

This is not a post suggesting some change to what is currently one of the least broken factions to play. Rather, it's a post trying to get a feel for what the current situation for tech 2 and 3 vehicles is, and why it tends to leave the stug out of the loop.
26 Jan 2016, 22:37 PM

The stug is an essential unit.

It's by far Germany's best answer to a vehicle heavy allied player.

Everyone who skips the stug does so at their own peril.
26 Jan 2016, 22:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It is my experience that the StuG G is like the best Wehrmacht vehicle. The only reason one wouldn't get it is if they find they prefer getting plenty of Pak 40s and Panzerschrecks - with the obvious drawback that players will be tying much more pop and munitions into AT.

So I'm going to have to disagree.
26 Jan 2016, 22:57 PM

I use them with specific commanders in 3vs3 and 4vs4. They can be quite good.
26 Jan 2016, 23:01 PM

I see them all the time in 2on2s when I play OKW with random OST mates. I don't think there's anything wrong with them at all.
27 Jan 2016, 00:41 AM

What exactly are the Stug's stats compared to Pak 40? I know it has less range, but how does it's damage and penetration stand up?
27 Jan 2016, 00:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

What exactly are the Stug's stats compared to Pak 40? I know it has less range, but how does it's damage and penetration stand up?

Actually, the damage is entirely equal. The Pak 40's penetration is superior by 20/15/10 and has 10 more range. The Pak 40's practical fire-rate tends to be a bit higher.
27 Jan 2016, 00:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2016, 00:50 AMVuther

Actually, the damage is entirely equal. The Pak 40's penetration is superior by 20/15/10 and has 10 more range. The Pak 40's practical fire-rate tends to be a bit higher.

When you say practical fire-rate, what exactly do you mean?

Also, doesn't the Stug get a bunch of RoF upgrades from veteran levels?
27 Jan 2016, 00:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

When you say practical fire-rate, what exactly do you mean?

Also, doesn't the Stug get a bunch of RoF upgrades from veteran levels?

Just mean the actual rate of rounds fired, as the actual thing broken down is a bit complex in total. Point is, in terms of how many rounds they'll be able to shoot at a still target in range in a given amount of time, the Pak 40 will probably be a bit more.

The StuG G's reload bonuses from vet are alike to the Pak 40s (Both gain 0.7 and 0.9 multipliers, though the StuG G get the 0.9 from vet 2 instead of vet 3). The differences from there are that the Pak 40 gains 1.3 penetration and 1.3 rotation, while the StuG G gets 1.2 rotation, speed and (de)acceleration.
27 Jan 2016, 01:00 AM

The Stug is in a good place now. It has good AT performance when used alongside other units, and the price difference compared to the p4 makes it worth purchasing. As with all assault guns it struggles on some maps but that is more an issue with pathing and map design than actual performance of the unit.
27 Jan 2016, 01:08 AM

It's a good unit. However it suffers from the retarded pathing more than other units since it has no turret
27 Jan 2016, 01:11 AM

Permanently Banned
I like to take my chances and survive to t4 for panthers.
27 Jan 2016, 01:11 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

stug abuses all medium tanks, especially in pairs... but struggles vs AT gun walls, zook spam, and the Su76, stuff like that.

But thats about it. otherwise build a pair, and lelele at just about any armor.

the DPS is insanely good, and it vets nice as a result. speaking of vet, its vet 1 is very nice, even in its nerfed state. Its easily among the best tank destroyers in the game, and for an amazing cost. A pair(ive seen more...a literal blob of 4,5 stugs...some people really live the stug life) given good firing ranges can take on just about anything cost effectively.
27 Jan 2016, 01:34 AM
Donator 11

From 1v1 perspective I feel that the problem of stug is that axis have best non mobile AT options that can make up for it and that allied infantry is so powerfull axis always need some vehicles to fight against it. Pair it with the fact that allies usually have mobile but badly armored tanks and you will get why people tend to go p4 if they tech T3. The other thing is that they rarely even do that thanks to T1+T2 into callins strat being much more fuel and manpower efficient.
27 Jan 2016, 02:29 AM

It's a good unit. However it suffers from the retarded pathing more than other units since it has no turret

Brummbarr:foreveralone:
27 Jan 2016, 02:58 AM

StuGs are cost effective against everything but the heaviest of fuel investments. While they aren't the most suited for handling AT guns or infantry with AT, quite frankly no vehicle excels against those, at least not compared to AI infantry. As such, against USF especially, they sit quite pretty.

In team games with OKW it is kind of the only vehicle that the Ostheer has that isn't matched or outclassed in terms of cost effectiveness. (The cost AND timing of the JP4 really kills off much of its utility.) OKWs P4 and Panther are superior, and the KT and Tiger fill mostly the same function, with the KT being absolutely ridiculous against infantry. Ostheer has to pick a doctrine to get a Puma, and they have no Luchs. While OKW has to pick a doctrine for Ostwinds, the Luchs has much better timing. Plus there's Schwerer for AA.:megusta:

Also,

Brummbarr:foreveralone:
27 Jan 2016, 05:05 AM
Donator 11

You don't choose the StuG life, the StuG life chooses you
27 Jan 2016, 05:11 AM

Stugs are excellent. Cheap, good damage, with an amazing vet 1 ability and able to penetrate all but the heaviest allied vehicles from long range with ease. 75% of the time they are my first purchase out of T3, and the 25% remaining are for P4s when I'm already winning the game at that point.
27 Jan 2016, 05:43 AM

Stugs are great for 1v1 though

Vaz
30 Sep 2016, 02:21 AM

I've been finding them a little cheesy fighting against them lately. Mainly due to the rate of fire and it's acceleration. You can circle it, but if it surprised your armor, it won't be able to escape due to the turbo stug cannon. This one game I lost almost 2 priest (I say almost because the second was an imminent loss, but the game ended and so it wasn't counted). The opponent would bring a suicide stug to the priest and get off 2 shots to knock it out. The funny thing is that I put m20 mines on every route, somehow he avoided them. I never saw the entrance from the fog, it's just suddenly there is a stug there. Priest was defended too. Jackson, double bazooka rifle, and a stolen pak40 at one point. Priest takes a long time to complete it's barrage and acceleration is piss poor on it, so a lot of times when something fast or well armored(think panther) comes for it, it's usually successful if I don't know far in advance or don't have 400 mu in m20 mines placed around.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★