Login

russian armor

Matchmaking is terrible!

21 Jan 2016, 15:38 PM

Hi guys, I am a new player, and I am often matched with high level players, no idea...
Always getting owned, not even a fair match, they are always 100 with some stars under the exp bar

That is completely frustrating, and if I were play offline, I would not pay for the game @_@
21 Jan 2016, 15:43 PM

Do you even know what placement matches are?
21 Jan 2016, 15:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 15:43 PMKatitof

Instead of being a smart ass to a new member it would be nice (with your knowledge) to explain this to him.
21 Jan 2016, 15:57 PM

Placement matches are the games you must play in order to get a rank.

For example, if I want to enter the Ostheer ladder I need to play ten games as Ostheer in order to get a proper rank. In these placement games I will be matched against everyone possible so that by the end of placement matches, which is always after ten matches, I will have a rank determined by who I could and couldn't beat.

After this you will get matched against people of roughly equal rank. Just remember, rank is not a bad indicator of skill, but stars and prestige and level are absolutely terrible.
21 Jan 2016, 16:01 PM

Instead of being a smart ass to a new member it would be nice (with your knowledge) to explain this to him.

I've asked a question, which would allow me to tell if he have lack of knowledge or simply wants to rant.
The two are way to similar recently to tell straight away.
21 Jan 2016, 16:21 PM

This is what I'm talking about. Why couldn't you just say "The first ten matches are placement matches..." and explain it?

He clearly can't possibly know what placement matches are. That information does not come in any manual. It's his first post and you're already attacking him.

Your claim that you want to find out if he wants to rant is false. The fact that he is new should tell you that that is clearly not the case.

Zuuh17, welcome to CoH2. Swiftsabre's answer is pretty complete. There is also the fact that due to the small playerbase, the automatch system will sometimes put you with a higher-level player if there are no other options.

It really sucks but there is a silver lining. After you get absolutely destroyed, watch the replay, see what he did and use it as a learning experience. Post a replay or two on the forum asking for advice, there's a lot of people on here who will help, not everybody will respond with sarcasm.
21 Jan 2016, 16:41 PM

To be fair the matchmaking is at times pretty awful depending on if you are playing at an off-time. Like last night I got thrown into a 2v2 where everyone was Ranked 50+ (ELO) but me.

@ OP It should also be pointed out that the In-Game Number (0-100) and 1-3 Stars isn't your match-making rank but just a useless in-game EXP bar that only measures time played and doesn't reflect skill. Matchmaking AKA ELO can be checked if you click on the "Leaderboards" tab in the game lobby.
21 Jan 2016, 16:47 PM
Donator 11

I appreciate the camaraderie defending a new forum user. <444>3

But exactly what the dudes said ^ It takes a few matches to verse players at your skill level. The game must first figure out how good you are. This takes 10 matches per playlist & faction.

So OKW 1v1s: 10 matches to get ranked
OKW 3v3s: 10 matches to get ranked
USF 2v2s: 10 matches to get ranked
UKF 4v4 Arranged: 10 matches to get ranked

If you're tired of losing and want to win a bit or practice a bit: play in the custom games lobbies, play versus the AI, and play with a group of friends and you will have a higher chance of learning and winning. Then work your way up
21 Jan 2016, 16:49 PM

Noob
21 Jan 2016, 18:02 PM

wow! so much messages! did not imagine the forum was so active!

No Idea what was it, but now I do!
jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 15:57 PMSwift
Placement matches are the games you must play in order to get a rank.

For example, if I want to enter the Ostheer ladder I need to play ten games as Ostheer in order to get a proper rank. In these placement games I will be matched against everyone possible so that by the end of placement matches, which is always after ten matches, I will have a rank determined by who I could and couldn't beat.

After this you will get matched against people of roughly equal rank. Just remember, rank is not a bad indicator of skill, but stars and prestige and level are absolutely terrible.

Ahh I see now, thank you a lot!

This is what I'm talking about. Why couldn't you just say "The first ten matches are placement matches..." and explain it?

He clearly can't possibly know what placement matches are. That information does not come in any manual. It's his first post and you're already attacking him.

Your claim that you want to find out if he wants to rant is false. The fact that he is new should tell you that that is clearly not the case.

Zuuh17, welcome to CoH2. Swiftsabre's answer is pretty complete. There is also the fact that due to the small playerbase, the automatch system will sometimes put you with a higher-level player if there are no other options.

It really sucks but there is a silver lining. After you get absolutely destroyed, watch the replay, see what he did and use it as a learning experience. Post a replay or two on the forum asking for advice, there's a lot of people on here who will help, not everybody will respond with sarcasm.

No problem mate, and thank you so much for all the information and advices

But exactly what the dudes said ^ It takes a few matches to verse players at your skill level. The game must first figure out how good you are. This takes 10 matches per playlist & faction.

So OKW 1v1s: 10 matches to get ranked
OKW 3v3s: 10 matches to get ranked
USF 2v2s: 10 matches to get ranked
UKF 4v4 Arranged: 10 matches to get ranked

If you're tired of losing and want to win a bit or practice a bit: play in the custom games lobbies, play versus the AI, and play with a group of friends and you will have a higher chance of learning and winning. Then work your way up

Thank your Northweapon, I am almost sure I saw some video from you in youtube xD, its good to know high level players are giving me tips :P
21 Jan 2016, 19:22 PM

However you should keep in mind for future, that the automatch system will start expanding the skill level range if an opponent of similar skill level isn't found. After a while, you can end up facing either a top 10 or top 10 000 opponent. This happens from time to time - it's not because of bad matchmaking but rather because of a relatively small playerbase.

Keep this in mind and don't get frustrated after losing, it's part of the game!

Check this link for more details about how the matchmaking and ELO works: http://steamcommunity.com/app/231430/discussions/0/864974467495408607/?l=hungarian

Welcome to the community!

21 Jan 2016, 19:28 PM

The matchmaking has been like this for ever, on one level it's good that it expands the search so you can get a match instead of waiting another 10 minutes to get a balanced match, this might be frustrating for a while, especially while playing the placement matches

It becomes frustrating at 2v2 and up since the matchmaking doesn't really think twice about it and throws you with a level 27 ranked 7k mate against a top 100 team, this have happened to me a few times
21 Jan 2016, 20:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 15:38 PMZuuh17
Hi guys, I am a new player, and I am often matched with high level players, no idea...
Always getting owned, not even a fair match, they are always 100 with some stars under the exp bar

That is completely frustrating, and if I were play offline, I would not pay for the game @_@

Welcome to coh2.org

If you want I can give you some matches where you can learn some protyps and general gameplay and strategical depth of this game.

And dont worry , as others pointed out , after few matches you will have you win / loss ration near 50 %.

Just remebmer that playerbase is not huge so when proplayer (top 100 for you , as you categorised them top100) has no one to play against in his level , then he will get matched against someone much weaker (cause he does not want to wait 30 minutes until there be other good player)
21 Jan 2016, 20:13 PM

a person can easily play AI to level up so dont judge a player by experience rank.

there are alot of streamers that u can watch to learn more about the game

coh2.org has guides

Play vs AI

also u can watch live games of ppl playing to get an idea of what they are doing.
22 Jan 2016, 00:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 19:22 PMTNrg
However you should keep in mind for future, that the automatch system will start expanding the skill level range if an opponent of similar skill level isn't found. After a while, you can end up facing either a top 10 or top 10 000 opponent. This happens from time to time - it's not because of bad matchmaking but rather because of a relatively small playerbase.

Keep this in mind and don't get frustrated after losing, it's part of the game!

Check this link for more details about how the matchmaking and ELO works: http://steamcommunity.com/app/231430/discussions/0/864974467495408607/?l=hungarian

Welcome to the community!

I see, that makes sense! thank you

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 19:28 PMPlaguer
The matchmaking has been like this for ever, on one level it's good that it expands the search so you can get a match instead of waiting another 10 minutes to get a balanced match, this might be frustrating for a while, especially while playing the placement matches

It becomes frustrating at 2v2 and up since the matchmaking doesn't really think twice about it and throws you with a level 27 ranked 7k mate against a top 100 team, this have happened to me a few times

Good to know :D thank you

Welcome to coh2.org

If you want I can give you some matches where you can learn some protyps and general gameplay and strategical depth of this game.

And dont worry , as others pointed out , after few matches you will have you win / loss ration near 50 %.

Just remebmer that playerbase is not huge so when proplayer (top 100 for you , as you categorised them top100) has no one to play against in his level , then he will get matched against someone much weaker (cause he does not want to wait 30 minutes until there be other good player)

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 20:13 PMDAZ187
a person can easily play AI to level up so dont judge a player by experience rank.

there are alot of streamers that u can watch to learn more about the game

coh2.org has guides

Play vs AI

also u can watch live games of ppl playing to get an idea of what they are doing.

Thank you guys for all the explanation, I will check more guides/VODS
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 50
Poland 12

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak