Login

russian armor

Balance Forum - What happened?

14 Jan 2016, 06:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2016, 04:15 AMCieZ
People of this generation would rather complain about balance than admit they're wrong because (in general) they're extremely entitled.

Heck, a lot of teachers in America these days are not allowed to fail a student even if they do ZERO work in class. It's ridiculous. When no one ever punishes you for screwing up, and everyone always tells you what a special snowflake you are - you tend to look at anything but yourself for a fault.

Shame really. I remember back in my AoE 3 and Wc3 and even Sc2 days people would lose to something, post a replay and ask for advice on how to improve. Now people just run to the forums to QQ imba and then proceed to ignore all reasonable advice given.

And I've never understood the fanboy mindset of only ever playing one faction or one side. You're only hurting yourself by being so close minded. And the forum warriors that so religiously defend their precious faction (we all know who they are) end up hurting the community in the long run.

That's my half-awake because I stayed up way too late last night watching the national championship and I really should be sleeping right now theory.

Meh I like teachers doing it that way. So I can get a fucking laugh when they rise high from those teachers and get fucked over by life.

This is stage one: http://imgur.com/gallery/bCxCT

Stage 2: Screwing up in Middle School and not changing

Stage 3: Screwing up in High School and still gets a grade for doing nothing

Stage 4: Gets to college and just gets hammered.
14 Jan 2016, 06:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 15:06 PMBlalord
Its our generation.

Before, when kid had a bad grade at school, parents were upset against the kids, now they are upset against teachers

There are children who have trouble and need guidance and there's children who dont do the work. Teacher tells parents that the kid doesnt do the work and/or turn it in at all the parent is like you never gave it to him. Then how is it that everyone else gets the papers but him?

It would literally take a recording of the kid jerking in class to make the parent think but that would be seen as stalkerish so it would take alot of shunning.

14 Jan 2016, 07:52 AM
Patrion 14

No, because then it will attract all the "Colourful Forum Personalities"
true.

but it has more "ask for help" mood than "complain here" mood.
14 Jan 2016, 09:06 AM

Meh I like teachers doing it that way. So I can get a fucking laugh when they rise high from those teachers and get fucked over by life.

This is stage one: http://imgur.com/gallery/bCxCT

Stage 2: Screwing up in Middle School and not changing

Stage 3: Screwing up in High School and still gets a grade for doing nothing

Stage 4: Gets to college and just gets hammered.

I chuckled at the story, bitchmom had it coming.
This is going to get way off topic, but whatever.

Teachers/schools aren't passing failures because the kid is entitled and deserves it for simply being there. They're passing shithead Johnny because the school is held responsible if he does poorly and gets less funding as a punitive measure. Its more effective to write Johnny off and give him a C so that next year the school is still funded and staffed properly for when Tommy shows up. Especially if Tommy is smart, but suffers from Dyslexia or Dyslcalculia, he's going to need that funding.
14 Jan 2016, 09:21 AM

Back in the days I was playing 2vs2 Age of empires 3 Asian Dynasties. Me and my brother as europeans (Holland and England) our two friends both Japanaese. They stomped us 5 times in a row although they were poor players. I didnt bicht about balance i was trying to counter their tactics but with no success. Only after sometime I got to understand that it was the Japanese beign a little OP but really i came to that conclusion after trying everything, still it is irrelevant becuause it was fun.
But now in the dawn of "competitive games" where nearly every game is made for ESL some people loose the fun factor, they dont play for fun but they play to win because what matters most is the rank not fun. Many times on this forums people wrote stuff like "he abused the bug and inflated his rank" well why do you care it is still a game made for fun not for ESL. And the META garbage. I understand that META means "a game in the game" people not only play think what to do next but also what will the enemy do next and try to counter that. But nowadays META means "the way its ment to be played" as if either you play meta builds, meta units, meta strats or looseeeee. The fun factor disappears. Sorry for a long rant
14 Jan 2016, 09:26 AM

@up

But you don't play multiplayer games for fun, you have single player games for that, you play multiplayer for salt and beating the crap out of other dude, then some more salt :snfBarton:
14 Jan 2016, 09:29 AM

he's going to need that funding.

As if its about him. Ever heard of the Lemon dance?

Some of my best friends are american, but its a shame they control the media. Because thats where 70% of kids times spent on today. Still on topic kinda xD
14 Jan 2016, 09:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 09:21 AMJorad
Back in the days I was playing 2vs2 Age of empires 3 Asian Dynasties. Me and my brother as europeans (Holland and England) our two friends both Japanaese. They stomped us 5 times in a row although they were poor players. I didnt bicht about balance i was trying to counter their tactics but with no success. Only after sometime I got to understand that it was the Japanese beign a little OP but really i came to that conclusion after trying everything, still it is irrelevant becuause it was fun.
But now in the dawn of "competitive games" where nearly every game is made for ESL some people loose the fun factor, they dont play for fun but they play to win because what matters most is the rank not fun. Many times on this forums people wrote stuff like "he abused the bug and inflated his rank" well why do you care it is still a game made for fun not for ESL. And the META garbage. I understand that META means "a game in the game" people not only play think what to do next but also what will the enemy do next and try to counter that. But nowadays META means "the way its ment to be played" as if either you play meta builds, meta units, meta strats or looseeeee. The fun factor disappears. Sorry for a long rant

This is also very true I find
14 Jan 2016, 09:41 AM

playercard pls

+1
14 Jan 2016, 10:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 09:29 AMJewdo

As if its about him. Ever heard of the Lemon dance?

Some of my best friends are american, but its a shame they control the media. Because thats where 70% of kids times spent on today. Still on topic kinda xD

Yeah, its moving bad teachers who have tenure to new schools rather then firing them, right? That's definitely a reason the teacher himself would do it, though you've usually got to have the school on board for that as well since a third grade teacher will realize pretty quickly something's wrong when one of her students is a potato and the second grade teacher says the student is a C.

It does support the argument though that its not necessarily kids being let through because they're entitled to it, but because someone else is covering their backside.

As to the media, yeah, it really does suck.
14 Jan 2016, 10:16 AM
Benefactor 392

People of this generation would rather complain about balance than admit they're wrong because (in general) they're extremely entitled.

Heck, a lot of teachers in America these days are not allowed to fail a student even if they do ZERO work in class. It's ridiculous. When no one ever punishes you for screwing up, and everyone always tells you what a special snowflake you are - you tend to look at anything but yourself for a fault.

Shame really. I remember back in my AoE 3 and Wc3 and even Sc2 days people would lose to something, post a replay and ask for advice on how to improve. Now people just run to the forums to QQ imba and then proceed to ignore all reasonable advice given.

And I've never understood the fanboy mindset of only ever playing one faction or one side. You're only hurting yourself by being so close minded. And the forum warriors that so religiously defend their precious faction (we all know who they are) end up hurting the community in the long run.

That's my half-awake because I stayed up way too late last night watching the national championship and I really should be sleeping right now theory.

I support your cause
14 Jan 2016, 10:20 AM

Yeah, its moving bad teachers who have tenure to new schools rather then firing them, right?

It was a law passed to 'protect' teachers. If you worked as a teacher for 5 years you are not allowed to be fired. The lemon dance is where all the schools exchange they worst teachers, in hope for a better one.

You can smell of booze or sleep in class, anything short of breaking the law and you are untouchable.
14 Jan 2016, 10:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 10:20 AMJewdo

It was a law passed to 'protect' teachers. If you worked as a teacher for 5 years you are not allowed to be fired. The lemon dance is where all the schools exchange they worst teachers, in hope for a better one.

You can smell of booze or sleep in class, anything short of breaking the law and you are untouchable.

Depending on where you are, it may be as low as 2. Definitely doesn't help that the teachers in the US are backed by an insanely strong union that's just looking for a scrap, no matter how bad the teacher. I get why tenure's in place, but the idea of it being an all-encompassing get-out-of-jail free card is absurd.
14 Jan 2016, 11:05 AM

Depending on where you are, it may be as low as 2. Definitely doesn't help that the teachers in the US are backed by an insanely strong union that's just looking for a scrap, no matter how bad the teacher. I get why tenure's in place, but the idea of it being an all-encompassing get-out-of-jail free card is absurd.

Kids cant fail, cant lose at sports, and teachers cant be fired. Then theres a thread popping up asking what happened? Everybody thinks they are always right and cant be wrong. lol
14 Jan 2016, 11:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 11:05 AMJewdo

Kids cant fail, cant lose at sports, and teachers cant be fired. Then theres a thread popping up asking what happened? Everybody thinks they are always right and cant be wrong. lol

Aye, but kids not being allowed to fail and tenure are just people covering their asses and abusing a broken system. It has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement, which is what leads arrogant players here to blame the game rather then address their own lacking skills, it has to do with keeping the paycheck rolling in. Can't comment much on the "everyone's a winner" attitude in the US, but I left in 2006 and wasn't born there, so it could simply be I don't remember or wasn't exposed/lucky.

As to a more entitled generation, I do agree that the coddling of our parents is over the top. But I also believe that Generation Y's proficiency with the internet means that those opinions are more accessible then previous generations and that expensive, mandatory education and a weak job market leaves us wanting. Like you said, everyone always thinks they're right, everyone. That's always been the case, its just more manifested now.

Also, this has been an interesting discussion so far, thank you.
14 Jan 2016, 12:32 PM
Patrion 14

Well, i thing the question why people obviously are less interested in discussing strategys in CoH2 compared to CoH1 is an interesting one worth talking about it. I follow the CoH2 community since the very begin and i noticed the same. Please note that i don´t thing the absence of a vital strategy discussion is necessarily related with a higher amount of "XYZ is OP, please nerf" threads.

I think the absence of strategy discussions is primarily the result for of two circumstances:
1.) CoH2 offers less strategic depth compared to CoH1. I know, i know we talk about this about 1.000.000 times and not everyone will agree here. But let´s assume i am right, less strategic depth leads to less discussion about strategy.
2.) CoH2 has a smaller competitive scene then CoH1 had. Not sure about the total amount of players but you got a specific minde set if you play a game competitive. You want to win, you want to improve and you enjoy thinking about the game and the opportunities it offers. Not many CoH2 players follow this approach.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2016, 18:30 PMSwift

The irony is when vCoH players claim there was less whining and balance moaning back in their day and yet all they seem to spout is whining and balance moaning about CoH 2.

Well i am a CoH1 player and i don´t do that. Many others don´t do it aswell. You conclude from the eye-catching extrem situations on the rest.

You totally underestimate how many people did this in discussions about CoH1. This is not a generation problem, at least not exclusively.
14 Jan 2016, 12:40 PM

Oh come on ciez blaming a new generation of gamers is a little cheap :D
I think it's more because of the clientele that coh2 appears to attract.
14 Jan 2016, 12:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 12:40 PMGiaA

Oh come on ciez blaming a new generation of gamers is a little cheap :D
I think it's more because of the clientele that coh2 appears to attract.

Not really.

Go through ANY game forums, competitive or not, multi or single player.

In all of them you'll find considerably more people whining for imbalance or game being too hard, then actually asking how to beat the content or opponent doing something.

Mobas, RTS, MMOs, FPS, its NEVER about other player being better, but matchmaking being evil, noobs on team, imbalanced items/heroes/units/"abusive" strats, its NEVER about the player who actually starts the thread even considering that he might suck, not everything around him.

And no wonder, with popularity of MOBA genre, which makes sure matchmaking will always try to keep you as close to 50% w/l ratio as possible, you can AFK all game for 100 games, MOBAs matchmaking will make sure you'll get enough teams to carry you to at least 40% wins.

This is "everyone is a winner" thing transferred into the gaming, this is why multiplayer communities are full of rot and bile, because they do not accept that for every winner, there needs to be a loser and they can't and won't acknowledge the fact that more often then not, THEY are these losers.
14 Jan 2016, 12:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 15:38 PMJewdo
I feel lame for saying this but I do believe its the new generation. Feel free to hate me for saying this
Of course it is. Now wait for someone to quote Socrates on how they back then also complained about youth while fact remains that I never acted as badly when I was their age.
14 Jan 2016, 12:56 PM

Of course it is. Now wait for someone to quote Socrates on how they back then also complained about youth while fact remains that I never acted as badly when I was their age.

xD
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS