Login

russian armor

Invincible OH sniper last tourney

4 Jan 2016, 14:39 PM

A sniper in the hands of a top 10 player can't be killed unless its by indirect fire, or by a counter snipe.. RIP
4 Jan 2016, 14:40 PM

Ostheer sniper is indeed the best of the bunch yea
4 Jan 2016, 14:42 PM

Why doesn't the Brit sniper get the extra couple HP then?
4 Jan 2016, 14:49 PM

Why doesn't the Brit sniper get the extra couple HP then?

It does have the same HP as ost sniper.

What it doesn't have is the amazing RoF vet ost one does.
But looking at UKF ones vet, it almost seems like relic really wanted it to actually fight armor instead of being gimmicky crit shot unit.
4 Jan 2016, 15:02 PM

It does have the same HP as ost sniper.

What it doesn't have is the amazing RoF vet ost one does.
But looking at UKF ones vet, it almost seems like relic really wanted it to actually fight armor instead of being gimmicky crit shot unit.

Yeah it does have 82 HP. I guess it just feels squishier because of the clumsy healing on IS. Probably not completely healed or something..
4 Jan 2016, 15:52 PM

UKF sniper cloaks faster then OH sniper if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention the support it can roll out when vetted. SU sniper, is the vet ability able to make enemy cammo units appear? If so that's a underused ability.
4 Jan 2016, 16:05 PM

UKF sniper cloaks faster then OH sniper if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention the support it can roll out when vetted. SU sniper, is the vet ability able to make enemy cammo units appear? If so that's a underused ability.

You are mistaken.
4 Jan 2016, 16:07 PM
Donator 11

I think the sniper of OST having 82 health is an issues, The added HP means that he can take a whole katusha rocket to the face. His ROF may have been slowed slightly but his aim time is stupidly low, meaning its easy to move and shoot rapidly unlike the solv sniper.

I think they rly need to look at snipers only getting cloaked in light cover or while standing still. Moving should uncloak your sniper.
4 Jan 2016, 16:42 PM

I think the sniper of OST having 82 health is an issues, The added HP means that he can take a whole katusha rocket to the face. His ROF may have been slowed slightly but his aim time is stupidly low, meaning its easy to move and shoot rapidly unlike the solv sniper.

I think they rly need to look at snipers only getting cloaked in light cover or while standing still. Moving should uncloak your sniper.

UKF sniper does have the same HP as OST sniper
4 Jan 2016, 16:53 PM

Ost snipers vet 1 ability is really RNG based and does not belong on a sniper, it should be a suppressive fire ability or something. Everything else about all snipers is fine.
4 Jan 2016, 17:29 PM
Donator 11

Ost snipers vet 1 ability is really RNG based and does not belong on a sniper, it should be a suppressive fire ability or something. Everything else about all snipers is fine.

I agree, It feels very out of place and a suppression volly that could suppres or pin blobs would be a better idea.

UKF sniper does have the same HP as OST sniper

Indeed it does have the same HP, In the solv sniper was kind of where I was pushing the discussion as T1 is already pretty useless, the snipers has such a long aim time.
4 Jan 2016, 18:51 PM

Imho all snipers should be limited to one on the field at a time. While not that much of a problem in 1vs1s, it´s incredibly easy to get two snipers or more out in 2vs2s. This destroys games and is incredibly dull to play against.
4 Jan 2016, 18:59 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Snipers are a problem across the board, but we saw the Wehr Sniper overperforming in the NA ESL as well, particularly against USF. The Wehrmacht snipers are practically unkillable until T4 when you can get lucky Tank shots. The best practical counter is counter snipes which is just a giant cheesefest, one which USF has no part in. Balance aside, Snipers are just bad for gameplay, it encourages blobbing whilst they ruin the flow of the game and slow everything down by preventing players from being aggressive and engaging to due all the manpower bleed. You either blob everything into it to try and force it off or don't engage at all, there's no room for individual squads against Snipers.

Snipers have been designed to be countered by light vehicles, but they're just not a viable counter, light vehicles are so risky and too all-in due to the abundance of Fausts, how quickly the 222 comes out and the prevalence of mines. There's so many ways the snipers could be changed, it's hard to think of the best one. I would perhaps suggest I increasing the aim fire delay, that would be a great change because it would means snipers can't 1v1 squads by kiting them. Snipers should be countered by charging a squad up to the sniper and forcing it off, but this doesn't work because a sniper can just keep running backwards and using it's cover and range to pick off models as it soft retreats. Increasing the aim fire delay would also prevent counter snipes which is a massive problem for Brits vs Wehr especially because it's just a monotonous and frustrating face off that prevents you from being active with the Snipers. Leaving a sniper cloaked for 5 minutes hoping the enemies sniper will reveal itself nearby is not fun gameplay.
4 Jan 2016, 20:41 PM

It's just a fact that snipers shine in the hands of pros, being a high maintenance but high reward unit by design.

I do think that, while snipers being hardier against explosives help so that they don't die to stray mortar rounds, I'm more iffy about their anti-infantry durability. I've had snipers survive being explosed by infantry several times because of their high HP and armor, or even win a semi slugfest against grenadiers, IMO this shouldn't happen. Individual squads catching snipers should kill them swiftly.
4 Jan 2016, 20:44 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Just give snipers a larger target size (1.15) to make them more vulnerable when caught out of position. If you do anything else, it'd have to be standardizing their aim-times and cooldowns so they don't shoot faster as you get closer to them. That's all I would do.
4 Jan 2016, 21:08 PM

The only thing I thought was broken in that game was access to Calliope.
rocket artillery are T4 Units in their respective factions. and US dosn't even need to tec to Major to get them.

More needs to be done to push rocket artillery behind Tec, its not balanced that US dosn't even need major, and OKW just needs Mech HQ to get rocket artillery
4 Jan 2016, 21:13 PM

I think mech company can hard counter sniper on paper.

1) USF player has rifle, mech, calliope commanders in load out

2) USF player notices slow capping, pressures cut off

3) it's a sniper

4) USF player picks mech, calls in WC51

5)drives around map, kills sniper super early. GG
4 Jan 2016, 21:27 PM

I think mech company can hard counter sniper on paper.

1) USF player has rifle, mech, calliope commanders in load out

2) USF player notices slow capping, pressures cut off

3) it's a sniper

4) USF player picks mech, calls in WC51

5)drives around map, kills sniper super early. GG

Theory crafting on paper is totally different to practical outcome. Picking an entire doctrine for the 1 minute window of hope where I might be able to chase down and kill a sniper and the entire rest of doctrine be worthless for the rest of the game is not prudent. Hence why no one does it.

1 Faust destroys entire tactic, MG42/light arms shred it + a good player will just rush 222 faster than you can think to counter a pathetic 20 fuel car.
4 Jan 2016, 21:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jan 2016, 21:27 PMpugzii

Theory crafting on paper is totally different to practical outcome. Picking an entire doctrine for the 1 minute window of hope where I might be able to chase down and kill a sniper and the entire rest of doctrine be worthless for the rest of the game is not prudent. Hence why no one does it.

1 Faust destroys entire tactic, MG42/light arms shred it + a good player will just rush 222 faster than you can think to counter a pathetic 20 fuel car.

I'm just saying it could become semi meta, because if you trade the sniper with wc51 you automatically win the game. Curiously the sniper is one of the only units that keeps Ost alive against the USF.

Obviously trying this past the 3:30-4:00 minute mark is retarded, but if USF has an RE scout the Ost players fuel/cut-off and sees a sniper, it would be fair game to rush the wc51 and kamikaze at the sniper. pure theory crafting here but it seems to make sense on most maps.
4 Jan 2016, 22:03 PM

Snipers are a problem across the board, but we saw the Wehr Sniper overperforming in the NA ESL as well, particularly against USF. The Wehrmacht snipers are practically unkillable until T4 when you can get lucky Tank shots. The best practical counter is counter snipes which is just a giant cheesefest, one which USF has no part in. Balance aside, Snipers are just bad for gameplay, it encourages blobbing whilst they ruin the flow of the game and slow everything down by preventing players from being aggressive and engaging to due all the manpower bleed. You either blob everything into it to try and force it off or don't engage at all, there's no room for individual squads against Snipers.

Snipers have been designed to be countered by light vehicles, but they're just not a viable counter, light vehicles are so risky and too all-in due to the abundance of Fausts, how quickly the 222 comes out and the prevalence of mines. There's so many ways the snipers could be changed, it's hard to think of the best one. I would perhaps suggest I increasing the aim fire delay, that would be a great change because it would means snipers can't 1v1 squads by kiting them. Snipers should be countered by charging a squad up to the sniper and forcing it off, but this doesn't work because a sniper can just keep running backwards and using it's cover and range to pick off models as it soft retreats. Increasing the aim fire delay would also prevent counter snipes which is a massive problem for Brits vs Wehr especially because it's just a monotonous and frustrating face off that prevents you from being active with the Snipers. Leaving a sniper cloaked for 5 minutes hoping the enemies sniper will reveal itself nearby is not fun gameplay.

I agree with the above statement. While I think that snipers are a silly unit, just like the AVRE and Sturmtiger are silly units, I feel that the marksmans units(jaegers and pathfinders) are what the sniper units should have been.

With regard to balance of the snipers, the OST sniper is the most difficult to kill and the one with the best aim time, the best armor or received accuracy, or whatever makes the OST sniper so durable. I've seen an OST sniper being completely swarmed by riflemen while retreating and still surviving, while the UKF/SU sniper seldomly survives encounters with axis infantry. I have even tried chasing down the ost sniper with all of the dedicated light vehicle counters and the snipers still survive, while my light vehicle got fausted then killed, or outright being one-shottet by a raketen that the OST players teammate had build. Killing OST snipers out of positions is simply too difficult.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 29
New Zealand 19
Poland 12

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak