Login

russian armor

British Base Howi's

26 Dec 2015, 01:37 AM

They are shit, need a heavy tweak considering they are the Brits primary non-doc indirect fire.
26 Dec 2015, 01:42 AM

Permanently Banned
As long as they aren't one shotting squads. Increase flare cost if necessary.
26 Dec 2015, 01:46 AM
Patrion 28

yup, they need a big buff to damage and ideally one to usability so they can actually be used against things that out range them and suppress. better access to smoke would work too.

As long as they aren't one shotting squads. Increase flare cost if necessary.

why should they not one shot squads? pretty much any artillery, but particularly globals (which brit artillery sort of is) will one shot any squad that stays in range.
26 Dec 2015, 01:55 AM

A big part of the problem is that after the infantry throws the flare, red smokes just sits there for >10 seconds. This gives the enemy plenty of time to notice it and move their troops.
26 Dec 2015, 02:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2015, 01:55 AMF1sh
A big part of the problem is that after the infantry throws the flare, red smokes just sits there for >10 seconds. This gives the enemy plenty of time to notice it and move their troops.

This only happens the first time if its a new angle - if its a small map where you are firing at the same position (or near) it will fire much faster the second time. Still, yeah, it takes to long.
26 Dec 2015, 02:11 AM

Sniper and IS arty flare should work like I&R pathfinder arty
26 Dec 2015, 02:18 AM

I find that the primary problem of this ability is the range-dependent scatter. Try this for yourself:

- Pick the largest possible map (e.g., Steppes), and activate the ability right outside your base; each of the incoming shells will arrive with pinpoint accuracy
- Now, try activating it on the furthest edge of the map; the shells are probably not going to land on the same postal code.

The ability is good enough for destroying garrisons (something the Brits really need, since they can't clear garrisons at all). The problem is that scatter doesn't allow you to use this ability to a good effect at all.

PS: I have no idea how good the AoE of this ability is at all, since this has never hit anything for me.
26 Dec 2015, 04:31 AM
Donator 11

They need a pretty solid buff. Round landed smack dab on a blob (5 squads) with half health and only killed 2 models. Adjusting the AOE would be a pretty solid start to see how that effects things, I would rather it do more AOE damage than outright wiping squads.

Accuracy / scatter would be another thing to look at, currently It cant kill a small building even at the min range. Often times the rounds will land WAYY off target almost B4 style rounds and scatter making the ability rather unreliable and hard to judge its effects.

EDIT: Remember when asking for a price increase the ability already requires you have an upgrade on the Tommie squad or the sniper so they should be taken into consideration as it take around 80~ muni to even use it.
26 Dec 2015, 10:12 AM

the shells need to land faster that is all and then be more accurate.

But i also had an idea on how we can make the howitzers unique and fit a certain playstyle.

Bofors unlock will also give you the anvil airbust shells
AEC unlock will make the barrage faster and quicker(shells will land faster and fire quicker)

so T2 tech is not a deadend tech and you modify your base howitzers for the playstyle you want to play
Anvil for areal denial and is more constant also more powerfull barrage
Hammer for a fast hard hitting barrage that doesnt deny nor has the power of the anvil shells but have faster response

Also a tool to reposition the Howitzers and make them have less cooldown would be also good

But they need buffs,their a core part of the british yet happen to be one of their weakest units.
26 Dec 2015, 10:17 AM

They indeed could need a buff, more accuracy
26 Dec 2015, 10:36 AM

Indestructable, spammable non doc arty that requires nothing but a small muni investment to be shot and gets strongr later in the game (for free!). Buff it and it becomes retardedly overpowered.

The ability is good enough for destroying garrisons (something the Brits really need, since they can't clear garrisons at all).

Brits have some of the best garrison cleaners in the game with wasp and sniper that never misses (and upgradeable grenades). The arty imho is pretty bad at killing garrsions, but definitely doestn need to be strong.
26 Dec 2015, 10:55 AM

Worst indirect fire weapons in a game.
26 Dec 2015, 10:59 AM

Lower the call in time.. So infantry have to retrear and support weapons actually feel threatened.. When I see this i LOLNUB and moved slightly out of the way.
26 Dec 2015, 11:06 AM

Brits need more arty for those 3v3 and 4v4 Kappa
26 Dec 2015, 22:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2015, 10:36 AMcr4wler
Indestructable, spammable non doc arty that requires nothing but a small muni investment to be shot and gets strongr later in the game (for free!). Buff it and it becomes retardedly overpowered.

I'm unsure why you think the base howitzers are artillery. Given that you need an upgraded I.S. to fire them, they cost as much to fire as a heavy grenade and you need to be within grenade range of your target, it would be better to consider them a fancy satchel charge.

The problem with the base howitzers is that they use the max scatter value (18.5) from artillery with a 250 unit max range, making them hopelessly inaccurate past the mid-point on the smallest 1v1 maps let alone team maps. Reducing the max scatter to 12 would allow the base howitzers to hit buildings you've aimed at but wouldn't make them perfectly accurate.
26 Dec 2015, 22:43 PM

the tommies' flare throw range need to be increased to 30 meters. 20 meter is way too short for an artillery.

and remove the physical flare itself. The base 25pdrs are the british counterpart to the panzerwerfer and the katyusha, and neither of those artillery have flare to warn the enemy.

the panzerwerfer and the katyusha are worth 360 mp 85 fuel. Converted to mp it's ~800 mp.

A munition cache will increase munition income by 5 mu. Assuming the british take that 800 mp and use it to build munition, it will increase munition income by 20 mp per minute.

The tommies artillery are 45 mu for each call. This mean that it will take two minutes for the 4 munition cache to provide the tommies with the extra munition for the artillery.

the way I see it. the british (and American) don't get rocket artillery, but they get the tommy and major artillery instead. Instead of needing to buy something like a panzerwerfer, the US and UKF build cache to maintain the munition needed to use the artillery.

theoretically anyway, the major and tommies artillery are so useless that no one uses them.
26 Dec 2015, 22:57 PM
Donator 11

the tommies' flare throw range need to be increased to 30 meters. 20 meter is way too short for an artillery.

and remove the physical flare itself. The base 25pdrs are the british counterpart to the panzerwerfer and the katyusha, and neither of those artillery have flare to warn the enemy.

the panzerwerfer and the katyusha are worth 360 mp 85 fuel. Converted to mp it's ~800 mp.

A munition cache will increase munition income by 5 mu. Assuming the british take that 800 mp and use it to build munition, it will increase munition income by 20 mp per minute.

The tommies artillery are 45 mu for each call. This mean that it will take two minutes for the 4 munition cache to provide the tommies with the extra munition for the artillery.

the way I see it. the british (and American) don't get rocket artillery, but they get the tommy and major artillery instead. Instead of needing to buy something like a panzerwerfer, the US and UKF build cache to maintain the munition needed to use the artillery.

theoretically anyway, the major and tommies artillery are so useless that no one uses them.

It has finally happened. Someone compared Rocket Artillery of Axis and soviets to major arty. :brad:
28 Dec 2015, 21:26 PM

I realise it isn't a historical simulation however the reason detre behind the British adoption of an 88mm rather than the 105s preferred by most other western Forces might give a hint as to the direction this could go.

Larger numbers of lower calibre artillery was preferred for their ability to suppress enemy troops, also for volume massed fire against armoured formations. Indeed artillery was the prime cause of tank kills, both from indirect fire and the 25pdrs added role of anti-tank gun with a supercharged red powder bag ( direct fire, nowt to do with the COH range increase).

Also British doctrine put a heavy emphasis on smoke when assaulting an enemy position. Creeping barrages ( for which the 25pdr was considered a bit heavy) of HE then smoke so the infantry could get close in and personal.

Very information heavy site for arms geeks here...

http://nigelef.tripod.com/RAorg.htm

Both NGFS and inland fires called for timely weight of accurate fire. Now clearly the current ability is neither timely, weighty nor accurate. I don't claim to be a good player, although I do have a 100% win rate ( at least until I play my second game), so am just looking to give some historical foundation on which those who know the game mechanics more intimately could comment...

28 Dec 2015, 21:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2015, 10:55 AMNEVEC
Worst indirect fire weapons in a game.

for its price it is hardly any where near the worst indirect fire.
28 Dec 2015, 21:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It has finally happened. Someone compared Rocket Artillery of Axis and soviets to major arty. :brad:

They're comparable in that they create explosions that AFK units might get hit by.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★