Login

russian armor

t34 76 now useless

PAGES (12)down
23 Dec 2015, 08:39 AM

No, the T-34-85 was put into service in 1944. Contrary to popular belief around here, there was more than just T-34/76 and T-34/85. The T-34 on the line in late 1942 to early 1944 was the T-34 Model 1943, which was an improvement over the Model 1942 and Model 1941 that you're thinking of. The T-34/76 in-game is an early-mid T-34 Model 1943.

The SU-85 was introduced in 1943 to fight Panthers and Tigers, and the upcoming T-43 would have taken that job as well until it was cancelled. Following the cancellation of the T-43 project, the T-34-85 project was devised using the T-43's turret and gun, and was put into production in early 1944.

I check, you're right !
23 Dec 2015, 08:48 AM

I have to disagree with that

the T34-76 is never cost effective at all neither to mass them nor to trade them for a single P4,its always better building an SU-85 and counter pretty much every tank except heavys,the T-34-76 costs too much mp which results in mp bleed and also comes very late,its never a good investment to buy something thats outdated the moment it arrives (unlike before)

its low stats never make it effective at normal tank engagements which results to even more poor performance when it shouldnt(like poor accuracy trying to hit the rear amor)

Whats worse is its ability to ram is also really bad,you sacrifice your t-34 just to stun the enemys vehicles/tanks!!(it could ba a great tool for late game nope...)

also cause it lacks firepower or any good trait to make it unique(being cheap isnt one of them)makes the tank lackluster

i mean why would you build 3 of them when they do nothing(can hardly fight infantry)or(tanks) they are like tank destroyers then only more unreliable at what they do and not cost effective.

some small buffs are neaded,its arrival would be best since it was hit hard when it was placed on T4 which now requires T3 to be build.

Everything the T-34-76 does the entire T3 roster does it even better,cheaper and comes faster(unlike our T-34 friend)

AND if by any chance you need medium tanks then most people would go for the 85 version since its an upgunned 76 one on every stat

the 76 needs a unique trait that makes it viable and unique or small buffs to make it atleast somewhat good at something.

trading a 300/80 tank for a tank that costs much more is not worth it? poor accuracy means nothing when your shooting and close or medium range. as i said before, you have to all in. you cant just peck away at long range and expect to do anything. what do you mean by lack of firepower? the tank has an average reload, and does the same damage as every other medium. the only bad factor would be its penetration.

sure you can play conservatively with su85, and just grind it out. however grinding out battles can be rather risky, and su85s are countered by elefants, mass pak40s, and jp4s. the whole point of doing a fast mass of t34s is to crush enemy axis armor one by one before they can achieve critical mass. literally every axis tank is more expensive than a t34, so trading 1 for 1 is always worth it, but youll never beat an axis tank 1v1 so thats why you need 2+

see most people want a tank that functions more as a typical panzer4-esque medium tank. decent armor, decent gun, good veterancy. the t34 is not that kind of medium tank. its a swarm unit. if you dont want to use it that way, dont use it at all. you can get a t34 85 that fits that role, or you can play passive and use the su85

also a quick note about your critique on ram, there is two uses for it and thats to hold an enemy tank in place. wether it be for other tanks to get around it, or for an offmap bombing run/artillery strike. its very dependent on where the tank your ramming is though, if its on the edge of the map the bombing run will come in much quicker than if the tank was in the middle of the map. another use is to finish off very low hp tanks. since the ram is a guaranteed 100 damage, you can use it to knockout tanks that are trying to get away. either way, its a really last ditch thing and i dont often use it myself.
23 Dec 2015, 09:12 AM

I'd like to see its manpower cost being decreased by 10% (from 300 to 270 mp) without a change to stats
aaa
23 Dec 2015, 09:15 AM

I'd like to see its manpower cost being decreased by 10% (from 300 to 270 mp) without a change to stats

Wont help at all. Its a t3 unit not t4. Timing is the only crucial thing there
23 Dec 2015, 09:33 AM

you actually can, obviously the key is to minimize bleed through various methods so you have a fairly healthy pool of manpower. the easiest way to start is to always use conscripts to merge instead of manually reinforcing. t

This is:
1) No work if you use shocks;
2) No work if you don't use call infantry;
3) Looks like
23 Dec 2015, 09:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2015, 09:33 AMTAKTCOM

This is:
1) No work if you use shocks;
2) No work if you don't use call infantry;
3) Looks like

there are other ways to minimize bleed you know.
23 Dec 2015, 12:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2015, 09:15 AMaaa

Wont help at all. Its a t3 unit not t4. Timing is the only crucial thing there
It's not a T3 unit. It never was and it isn't now. And as much as people try to make it out, it's timing was never delayed in comparison to other medium tanks. It will never be moved to T3 becuase T3 is for light vehicles, which the T34 is not.

It's problem is solely that it is too expensive in manpower to be used as designed, because despite it's low fuel cost you are still paying a similiar manpower cost as other mediums for a worse tank, while already spending more on manpower through teching. Making them still as costly to lose and build as any other medium tank.
23 Dec 2015, 14:03 PM

Lets assume that in vacuum to have 50/50 chances vs Panther you need 2 t34s(in real situation probably 3, but single t34 is also better vs infantry than a single Panther), so in terms of resources its 490/175 vs 600/160. Imo it could be better balanced if t34 had cheaper mp price and higher fuel price, like 260mp and 90 fuel, making it 520mp/180fu needed to have a 50/50 chance vs 490/175 Panther.

23 Dec 2015, 14:15 PM

To make T34 more useful in late, we need to have 2 things.
1. Faster build time.
2. Buff ram ability. Not a big buff, but for example, give it 200dmg when hit. Yesterday I was chasing almost dead Sturmtiger. I rammed it with hope to kill it (havent used ram for ages so I did not know it's so shit :snfPeter: ) I end up with immobile T34 in front of Sturmtiger which just fired rocket agasint my T34. We don't want old ram meta with main gun crits, but some damage would be really nice.
23 Dec 2015, 15:15 PM

ram should be a powerful vet 1 ability
23 Dec 2015, 15:31 PM

trading a 300/80 tank for a tank that costs much more is not worth it? poor accuracy means nothing when your shooting and close or medium range. as i said before, you have to all in. you cant just peck away at long range and expect to do anything. what do you mean by lack of firepower? the tank has an average reload, and does the same damage as every other medium. the only bad factor would be its penetration.

sure you can play conservatively with su85, and just grind it out. however grinding out battles can be rather risky, and su85s are countered by elefants, mass pak40s, and jp4s. the whole point of doing a fast mass of t34s is to crush enemy axis armor one by one before they can achieve critical mass. literally every axis tank is more expensive than a t34, so trading 1 for 1 is always worth it, but youll never beat an axis tank 1v1 so thats why you need 2+

see most people want a tank that functions more as a typical panzer4-esque medium tank. decent armor, decent gun, good veterancy. the t34 is not that kind of medium tank. its a swarm unit. if you dont want to use it that way, dont use it at all. you can get a t34 85 that fits that role, or you can play passive and use the su85

also a quick note about your critique on ram, there is two uses for it and thats to hold an enemy tank in place. wether it be for other tanks to get around it, or for an offmap bombing run/artillery strike. its very dependent on where the tank your ramming is though, if its on the edge of the map the bombing run will come in much quicker than if the tank was in the middle of the map. another use is to finish off very low hp tanks. since the ram is a guaranteed 100 damage, you can use it to knockout tanks that are trying to get away. either way, its a really last ditch thing and i dont often use it myself.

The problem is that to even unlock the T-34 you need to get to the top end of the tech tree, which as Soviets costs a lot of MP. You then need to have 310 MP per tank; sure, 80 fuel is not much, but 310 MP very much is as Soviets. In a practical scenario, you'll be hard pressed to have more than 2 T-34s before the Axis heavies start rolling out and you really need to get those tanks to the frontlines, and a Tiger definitely solos 2 T-34s unless a lucky ram takes out its gun.

Sure, you can ''minimize bleed'' but if you can manage to minimize MP bleed, as Soviet, with few vehicles before the T-34s come, well you've outplayed your opponenent and are already winning. Plain and simple. As such, the T-34 is more or less a ''win more'' unit as I see it. It's never going to save you if you start being in trouble, a PaK wall and/or overlapping Stugs will crack it open in seconds. If you've driven the opponent off the field for most of the game, sure you can then swarm them easily because they don't have a defensive position. But not if they are dug in at all.

All the other uses of the T-34 are done better by other units. T-70 is a better infantry killer and flank harrassment unit. SU-76/85 are way better tank killers, and the former is decent against defensive positions as well. T-34/85 is well worth the added cost thanks to good armor and a good gun. There's a reason you barely see T-34s in gameplay, and it is not because Soviets are denying themsleves a good unit.
23 Dec 2015, 16:03 PM
Donator 33

I use T34/76´s to kill enemy infantry and AT guns to protect T34´s from enemy armor, The T34´s can protect AT guns from enemy flanking attempts aswell, and AT guns keep Panthers at bay.

I wish that this unit stays the way it is, since it still has that 3%-5% chance to cause a main gun critical for the enemy tank while ramming it, and you can always replace it if it gets blown up, thank you Relic for the 80 fuel T34/76´s!

(Remember when T34/85´s were call ins and everybody thought them to be OP when combined with Mark target?, those tanks are actually still very good, but you need T4 for them aswell, there are better alternatives like the IS-2, so people rarely use them)
23 Dec 2015, 17:01 PM

The question is, if I unlock T4, why would I choose T34/76 over T35/85?

I just read the text on 4% increase penetration bulletin and it says aboyt HE ammo, so why dont we give T34/76 AP/HE ammo like Sherman?
23 Dec 2015, 17:57 PM

I just read the text on 4% increase penetration bulletin and it says aboyt HE ammo, so why dont we give T34/76 AP/HE ammo like Sherman?

Better yet, give it anti-infantry Shrapnel shell (Sh-354T shell). They used them in real life. That way it could be slightly more original.

It could be a munition cost ability that was less lethal then the HE shell, but would suppress enemy instead.
23 Dec 2015, 18:42 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Why don't we just give it better machine guns at that point so its actually consistent rather than being a literal swing or miss machine against infantry and becoming Sherman 0.8?

I'm not talking about a general DPS increase, but a revamping of the MGs. Sure I may of made them have more DPS in my mod, but the T-34s MGs mainly suffer due to their poor accuracy and long cooldown. Boost the accuracy and reduce the cooldown on the MGs while altering its burst so its doing consistent damage rather than waiting 4-5 seconds to cooldown for rather unpredictable, but possibly high damage.

Also let's make its Vet 1 buff said machine guns :D
23 Dec 2015, 19:08 PM

the strength of the t34 is in its numbers...

Lemon, did you try this tactic in 2*2 or only 1*1. If not, is there something you will suggest in T-34/76 usage in such format. Also I would be very thankful if you demonstrate your tactics in 1*1 or 2*2 game.
23 Dec 2015, 19:12 PM

Why don't we just give it better machine guns at that point so its actually consistent rather than being a literal swing or miss machine against infantry and becoming Sherman 0.8?

I'm not talking about a general DPS increase, but a revamping of the MGs. Sure I may of made them have more DPS in my mod, but the T-34s MGs mainly suffer due to their poor accuracy and long cooldown. Boost the accuracy and reduce the cooldown on the MGs while altering its burst so its doing consistent damage rather than waiting 4-5 seconds to cooldown for rather unpredictable, but possibly high damage.

Also let's make its Vet 1 buff said machine guns :D

I've always thought that, unless they are specialized anti-infantry vehicles such as the T-70 or Ostwind, tank's DPS against footsoldiers should come mainly from their MGs. Not only it is better for historical flavor, it would be more consistent. Right now, when their AI DPS comes from their guns, one time your Cromwell might kill 10 infantry in 4 shots, that other time it might kill 4 in 10 shots. The T-34 is even more unreliable in this regard. This might also help the problem of tanks likes IS-2s wiping out squads in one shot.

But it's too late to change that now, I suppose. I'd be happy with T-34s getting a small cost increase (to 90 fuel, say) and get more accuracy, pen and a better MG.
23 Dec 2015, 19:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

as i said before, you have to all in.

As you said before, a single mine, pak, faust will ruin your day. And you will be trading T34s for nothing.
By the time it arrives, you need something that will let you recover all the mp invested. By this point on the game, all axis faction start to spike in their power levels either on vehicles or infantry upgrades. This is why you would rather have a T70 at 8mins rather than a T34 at 13.
23 Dec 2015, 20:36 PM
Patrion 14

As you said before, a single mine, pak, faust will ruin your day. And you will be trading T34s for nothing.
By the time it arrives, you need something that will let you recover all the mp invested. By this point on the game, all axis faction start to spike in their power levels either on vehicles or infantry upgrades. This is why you would rather have a T70 at 8mins rather than a T34 at 13.

yea, i have to agree with this.

t34/76's only strength is in numbers. but to keep the reasonable lead in the numbers game, as soon as you have 2 76s and enemy has 1 p4, you have to destroy it because 3 76s v. 2 p4s is not the same. even if you get to manage to keep 2:1 advantage, there will be more paks and tellers as the game progresses.

so massing t34/76s turns into "all in" game, where you have to constantly make plays to stay on top. and making plays with tanks is the most risky thing in the game.
PAGES (12)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS