Login

russian armor

Fun, Balance, Immersion, and the Jagdpanzer IV

15 Dec 2015, 09:28 AM

Skipping intros and going straight to the point:

The Jadgpanzer IV, and specifically the Cautious Movement ability.

The ability greatly exceeds it's purpose, and at the moment is something out of a science fiction movie.
The JP4 can go invisible right in front of enemy sight and fire, even out in the open, as if it had some advanced cloaking technology.

This is terrible! A huge oversight in terms of balance, immersion (won't say realism), and enjoyment.

Immersion: Needless to say, it's a WW2 game. An infantry squad using cover for camouflage is acceptable to an extent, but a huge tank disapearing mid-fight? This breaks the immersion, a trait the franchise takes pride upon and is one of it's major selling points.

Balance: The name of the ability suggests avoiding off-combat detection to retain the element of surprise. Currently the ability provides invisibility, greatly exceeding its intended purpose by granting it almost unconditionally and on demand, which in turn makes an already hard to kill tank near invincible.

Fun: The frustration when your target goes invisible while you're shooting at it is undescribable! It's ok on a sniper, you can somehow justify it, the other player maneuvering his soldier skillfully in cover etc. But a heavily armored vehicle? Which the player ordered to go invisible by clicking on a button? That's preposterous to say the least.

There was a thread some weeks ago, by Elchino7, with video evidence demonstrating the full extent of the current state of the ability, and the issue got some attention, but I'm afraid the focus was shifted on a bug that makes the invisible JP4 impossible to be hit by anti-tank weapons attacking ground.
Fixing that would of course alleviate the symptom, but miss the root of the issue, which is the ability as a whole.

I'm re-posting the videos by Elchino7, and hope that someday, maybe as a christmas present, the ability will get changed, fixed or removed.

15 Dec 2015, 09:53 AM

Working as intended :p

I admit i never saw a jp4 used with such efficiency.
Impressive.

Kozo.
15 Dec 2015, 10:02 AM

Its called Mirage Tank now.
15 Dec 2015, 10:02 AM

15 Dec 2015, 10:20 AM

dont worry it historally accurate, nazis stole manhattan project invisibility MVGame:snfMarcus:
15 Dec 2015, 10:22 AM

Reminds me of Nod Stealth Tank in Command&Conquer series.
15 Dec 2015, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 10:02 AMKatitof

Nobody here but us trees
15 Dec 2015, 10:30 AM

The cloack needs some adjustments.
15 Dec 2015, 10:34 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Well camoflaging Tanks was very common but yeah guess tjey couldn't actually make it invincible in the process
15 Dec 2015, 10:44 AM

Good work. So this is why there is a sudden burst in OKWabusers JPIV. Hotfix needed asap.
15 Dec 2015, 14:54 PM

Great videos. Long been my favorite tank in the game on most maps. Not sure what changes are needed, as its rarely that absurd.
15 Dec 2015, 15:11 PM

Have some Wunderweapon u Yankee cunt:megusta:
15 Dec 2015, 15:17 PM

Great videos. Long been my favorite tank in the game on most maps. Not sure what changes are needed, as its rarely that absurd.

Aside from fixing the bug that makes it impossible to hit, I would suggest something like this:

-Usable only when out of sight of the enemy.
-Disabled/Revealed while in combat, and for some seconds after. The mechanic is already in place for the crew repair ability the soviet commanders have, so this should be very easy to implement.
-Provide undetectability/invisibility from detection abilities like recon aircraft and abilities that extend unit sight, detection and sensing.
15 Dec 2015, 15:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 10:02 AMKatitof

At least with Mirage Tank, you can notice a random tree in the middle of the road and fire at it.
15 Dec 2015, 15:29 PM
Donator 33

It's all awesome, but the end is the good part. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZRYO8BcL4
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment