Login

russian armor

COH2 Survey In-Game

8 Dec 2015, 19:30 PM

I have not seen it pop up today so I would like to bring it to people's attention.

There is a survey based around balance in the main menu of COH2. Click the link in the front page and per usual it will take you to a SurveyMonkey and have you fill out some questions.

Please take the five minutes (literally it probably takes less) and fill out the questions. At a minimum it helps Relic know people are interested in balance.

If this has already been posted and I did not see it, please do not respond and let this fall off the front page.
8 Dec 2015, 19:33 PM

Its the OKW revamp survey or something new?
8 Dec 2015, 19:35 PM

Its the OKW revamp survey or something new?

The OKW revamp survey (as I remember it) referred to balance changes to OKW directly. This survey talks broadly about balance in all game modes.

The short answer is no its not the OKW revamp survey, yes it is something new.
8 Dec 2015, 20:17 PM

Question 26 is tricky: the balance completely shift between factions with the arrival of Brit in the graph, so I don't know what the best answer: the balance get worst because in the short period after the difference is big or the balance remains the same (with the idea of Balance still being broken, Axis Advantage to Unbalance Allied advantage so at the end nothing change from a neutral balance perspective).

At the end, I said it is getting worst.
8 Dec 2015, 20:34 PM

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BalancePerception?utm_source=coh2&utm_medium=in-game&utm_campaign=cloudui121115 Heres a link to the survey
Its mainly balance feedback and your thoughts on what is OP and where, its a 3 pages survey so you better buckle up buckaroo
and
8 Dec 2015, 20:40 PM

The questions they ask about graph at the end doesn't get to the core of the problem:

Every game mode, not only 2v2, but also 3v3 and 4v4 show balance being skewed towards Axis, and that this is increasing in team size (e.g. Axis is heavily favored in 3v3 and 4v4).

Team games tend to be longer, which illustrates the main problem: late game balance.

The main problem in the late game is that Axis heavy tanks are more cost effective and simply easier to use than Allied tanks.

Also, the counters for heavy tanks are very expensive and harder to use. E.g. AT guns tend to bleed man power, a lot. Allied tank destroyers are frail and cannot chase a low health heavy tank.

In an engagement an Axis player is much more likely to back out a damaged heavy tank alive, whereas Allied players will likely lose at least one tank in the same fight. The heavy tank can then be repaired to full and keeps veterancy.

So even if 1v1, 2v2 games seem somewhat balanced by just looking at win rates, the game skews heavily towards Axis in the late game, in any game mode.

If Relic wanted to look into this they should just plot faction win percent by game duration. I am certain that statistic won't be pretty.
8 Dec 2015, 21:19 PM

Relic if you're reading this, my real answer is that the allied factions were somewhat* over performing before the Dec 3rd patch in 2v2, but the Dec 3rd patch probably over corrected and now it's the axis that are overperforming (but we'll need a bit more time to see if it's just maladaption on the part of the allied player base.)

* overperforming within a reasonable margin, but definitely in need of some adjustment.
8 Dec 2015, 21:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2015, 20:40 PMand
The questions they ask about graph at the end doesn't get to the core of the problem:

Every game mode, not only 2v2, but also 3v3 and 4v4 show balance being skewed towards Axis, and that this is increasing in team size (e.g. Axis is heavily favored in 3v3 and 4v4).

Team games tend to be longer, which illustrates the main problem: late game balance.

The main problem in the late game is that Axis heavy tanks are more cost effective and simply easier to use than Allied tanks.

Also, the counters for heavy tanks are very expensive and harder to use. E.g. AT guns tend to bleed man power, a lot. Allied tank destroyers are frail and cannot chase a low health heavy tank.

In an engagement an Axis player is much more likely to back out a damaged heavy tank alive, whereas Allied players will likely lose at least one tank in the same fight. The heavy tank can then be repaired to full and keeps veterancy.

So even if 1v1, 2v2 games seem somewhat balanced by just looking at win rates, the game skews heavily towards Axis in the late game, in any game mode.

If Relic wanted to look into this they should just plot faction win percent by game duration. I am certain that statistic won't be pretty.

Keep in mind the data they present us could very well be made up, we don't know. Secondly, I agree with you that the underlying problems are not specified. This is a problem with surveys, they simply cannot cover all bases. The issue of why is best laid out here, as I think people are trying to do so don't fault the survey too much.
8 Dec 2015, 21:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2015, 20:40 PMand

Guys, the graph data is a made up, it is shown on the top left of the graph.

8 Dec 2015, 21:40 PM

I fixed that for them.

6. How do you go about staying up-to-date on CoH2's balance changes?

I read and follow the patch notes for every patch

I skim through the patch notes about once a month

I read the forums but don't really bother reading the patch notes

I don't read the patch notes because I understand the game's balance from playing the game

I don't care about game balance, I just like to play the game

NIGO!!!

On the other hand I felt like being evaluated if a) I can read charts, b) do I understand "balance".

8 Dec 2015, 21:48 PM

Based on the(fictional) graph, game is somewhat balanced(4-8% fluctuations are acceptable), but with inconsistent performance. Thats what it looks to me. Curves won't give accurate scale if you ignore the whole possible spectrum.
nee
9 Dec 2015, 04:55 AM

Question 12 is unreasonable:
"Have you ever visited coh2chart.com? Is so, how often?"
Yes, but only a few times
Yes, at least once per week
Yes, at least once per month
Yes, less than once per month
No, I've never heard of it

I know what it is, but I don't visit it on any sort of regularity.

The last page also quite blatantly shows that the game is geared for 2v2, at the highest.
9 Dec 2015, 05:27 AM

I did like the graph trick question aswell as the questions are based on whether you understand it or not
9 Dec 2015, 05:59 AM

do we know where the results of thi survey are being sent to, or how it will be used?
9 Dec 2015, 08:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2015, 04:55 AMnee

The last page also quite blatantly shows that the game is geared for 2v2, at the highest.

Well, that was just a made up example.
They could've picked up 1v1 with the same curves.

It was basically a trick question, because differences seemed big until you've checked the actual scale.
9 Dec 2015, 09:44 AM

Filled in.

I don't see why they would show us a graph that does not represent the current balance and then ask us questions.. What is this, Math exam?
9 Dec 2015, 09:48 AM

Filled in.

I don't see why they would show us a graph that does not represent the current balance and then ask us questions.. What is this, Math exam?

They are looking for balance dev that would have a clue on what he is doing :megusta:
9 Dec 2015, 09:59 AM

Truly, it looks like a test exam for a balance designer position :D
and
9 Dec 2015, 18:28 PM

Keep in mind the data they present us could very well be made up, we don't know. Secondly, I agree with you that the underlying problems are not specified. This is a problem with surveys, they simply cannot cover all bases. The issue of why is best laid out here, as I think people are trying to do so don't fault the survey too much.

I know that the graph of the survey is an example. I do however have an idea of how the real data looks. And it shows that as team size gets larger (2v2,3v3,4v4) Axis win chance increases. And as I said, I believe this is due mostly to late game problems which are pronounced in team games (but certainly still relevant in 1v1).
9 Dec 2015, 19:06 PM

They are looking for balance dev that would have a clue on what he is doing :megusta:

I suspect this is correct, in that they want to make sure the person responding can read balance charts.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★