Login

russian armor

UKF on Life Support

PAGES (13)down
8 Dec 2015, 20:17 PM

It's not competitive because
1. The maps are not designed in a competitive way.
2. Core game mechanics (map control, positioning, well mixed army force) play less of an role
3. There are not enough "competitive/ good players".

When I played those modes extensively for a 6 month period (stopped about 1-2 months ago) there were hardly any players I'd call good. I consider myself a mediocre 1vs1 / 2vs2 players, yet me and my team were kings in those modes. Holding #1 for axis & allies because most games were over before 15 minutes, I can only recall about 3 deserved losses (all other loses were due drop hack or bugsplat) and those were also only against those teams that hold 1-3 position. Even those players that were top 20 ( I had always elo running) were just bad and checking their playercards often revealed ranks 500+ in 1vs1 & 2vs2.
Again it's not about ranks, its rather about understand and excelling in core game mechanics, those mechanics which are necessary to master when understanding balance.

Your 3 points u mentioned:

1. Maps are designed in competitive way or not? similar to other mode's maps some of them are some of them are not, so no difference. there are actually some maps which are designed very well, some maps which favor allies more, and some axis', some are balanced some not. exactly like other modes.

2. According to what? If you wanna play at competitive level you gotta actually take em all into account. You can have your own/team strategy, but again there are big differences between those mods in the skills u require; map awareness etc, which is why some coh2 1v1 top veterans fail in team games any mode bigger than 1v1

3. Let me word that better for you "good players of those modes don't get same reputation as 1v1 veterans" but that doesn't mean those modes are not competitive.

You are wrong sir, those modes are competitive and there are some good players in those modes, just as there are in 1v1 mode

And you said u checked the top 20 players and they had 500+ ranks in 1v1? That actually means they prob play that mode as fun mode and not competitive!
Actually how many (not top 20) top 10 1v1 players do you want me to name you (I have seen their playercard that they had +1000 ranks in 4v4s?!! does that mean they are bad?! yes or no! it means they are good in the mode the like and play competitive
8 Dec 2015, 20:25 PM

3v3 and 4v4 are just as competitive as 1v1 and 2v2. Tho yes I find 2v2s more harder overall, and most large team games I'm in, I'm playing against lost players, who play with randoms and get their ass handed to them in minutes. Then come here and complain. But when it's AT vs AT, 4v4s are intense, hour long games. Not to mention they are fun especially with voice communication between everyone

The myth these fourms carry of large games dont matter and are not competitive are ridicules.

I have the right to comment on balance 2v2 and up, but not so much 1s. Tho, I do not have the right to say 1v1 balance doesn't matter. The same goes for people who play 1a and 2s, yea comment on those balance, but don't degrade 3s and 4s and say they don't matter. Ignorant ass people
8 Dec 2015, 20:33 PM

Oh and for that team that is #1 17-0. That rank means nothing. 30-0 is where things start to get serious considering how easy it is to get there. Tho I'm not saying you didn't play any good teams within that 17-0, but from my experience, I'm sure it's really 3-0/4-0 against respectable opponents
8 Dec 2015, 20:47 PM

This is just getting funnier and funnier.

1) You still think 4v4 takes individual skill compared to 1v1s and 2v2s. What are these "skills"
I've made the claim that individual "skill", such as APM and map awareness, is irrelevant. Otherwise, CPU expert would be the lead balance authority and Adolf Hitler would have been more correct than Albert Speer.

2) You still think that 4v4 is somehow magically able to be balanced on the same level as 1s and 2s, when it clearly isn't considering the permutations of match ups and the game mechanics that are diluted the more players you add into the game.
I don't just think this. I've explained how it is possible. Because you have clearly intentionally missed my argument, let me restate it in brief; the number of permutations possible is not the only factor in determining whether a game can be balanced. Otherwise, Chess would be a terribly imbalanced game. Factors such as heuristics which assist in human logic allow us to eliminate a large number of redundant permutations. This is why the vast majority of chess literature focuses on less than 0.0000...1% of possible chess positions, as heuristics and logic allows us to eliminate the other 99.9999...9% of positions out of hand.

3) You still somehow believe that the skill required to use all factions to their best ability is not a consideration for balancing.
As you have defined "skill" as things such as technical skills, such as APM and map awareness, then I do not believe APM is a relevant factor in determining balance for all factions. Otherwise, CPU Expert would be the lead balance authority.

4) You continue to bring up irrelevant sports and academia.
These things are not irrelevant, because I am not making arguments about game balance. In my posts, I have never stated that Faction A/B/C is UP or OP, or that unit X/Y/Z is too cheap/too expensive, etc. Instead, I am demonstrating that your arguments about game balance are ungrounded, and bring these examples to reveal the flaws in your argument. In brief once more, because you clearly have missed the point; your entire argument relies on your authority as a 1v1 player, and nothing else. Appeal to Authority is a well established logical fallacy that is considered, among other things, by academic researchers.

If I were making arguments on game balance and citing Isaac Newton, then yes, my ponits would be irrelevant. But that's not what I am doing.

5) You keep saying "APM," when my "APM" is probably incredibly low compared to what would be needed in a game that is truly dictated by APM (to get to a certain level) like SC2. APM =/= Micro. Again proving that you don't have a clue about what you are saying.
This is nonsense. There is no definition of micro that does not involve APM. I'd like to see you micro with 10 APM.

My judgements are superior to the average 4v4 player, because again (and this is getting very old to repeart), the average 4v4 player sticks to one faction or side, has mediocre micro, and has mediocre game mechanic understanding. This really isn't hard to understand.

Furthermore, unless you wish to claim that blobbing has a higher APM requirement than 'smoking and flanking', then the APM requirement for 1v1 games is higher than 4v4 games. This is exactly the point you make in the above post.

6) Looking at a clock and seeing a "4 minute Luchs" doesn't mean anything if you can't understand exactly why it is coming out at 4 minutes. This isn't some mid game 20 minute resourcing consideration, this is the sub 5-minute mark, if you aren't aware of what it exactly takes to get that out in that short of a time, and aren't abusing the situation by looking at it and saying "wow, these nerds probably built fuel caches and lack field presence, lets exploit that," its the mark of a terrible player.
None of this changes the fact that a Luchs came at 4 minutes. The argument now is whether or not a Luchs should or should not come at 4 minutes. Hypotheticals based on unsubstantiated claims, such as "oh bet erf yoo joost poshed erm herder denn het er no looks" are irrelevant, because they are unsubstantiated claims. If it really were so easy to push a player who was Luchs rushing, then nobody would Luchs rush.

7) Knowing what the "code" for units do, and what their practical effects are, are two different things. Just because a player knows what a mine does, that a t34 has terrible scatter, etc, does not make them competent enough to look at patch notes that consist of these "code" numbers and claim they know what the effect will be. Being able to tell what units do superficially does not mean someone has an intrinsic understanding of the mechanics. Admittedly I knew FAR less a year ago than I do now, though the nature of 1v1s and 2v2s, and the indisputable fact that they take more individual skill (I mean really, where is your argument for the "skill" that 4v4 takes, I keep hearing it but you don't explain it, which is why its preposterous at best) force you to learn these numbers, or at the least be aware of hidden mechanics/ones that are not superficial, to stay competitive at the top level.
I fail to define "4v4 skill" because you continually fail to define 1v1 skill. Your definition, quoted above, is contradicted by you yourself when you claim that my claim about APM is irrelevant.

Furthermore, consider the following;
T-34 scatter sucks.
Patch notes:
T-34 scatter increased from X to X+2

OMG WHY RELIC IT SUCKED ALREADY

The fact that I have no idea what the scatter value means is irrelevant. The numbers don't actually affect my understanding of the values. I see the English word 'increased' and know that the T-34 has been made even more useless than it currently is.

What exactly do you consider a 'hidden' mechanic? If a mechanic is so well hidden that it has no effect on the game, then it is irrelevant. Otherwise, I can see it throughout the course of gameplay.

To summarise our points thus far, let's settle on the following. Feel free to incorrectly interpret my points and correct me in a later post.

1v1 players believe they can balance 4v4 because
- They are better at 1v1s than 4v4s
- They have better undefined skill than 4v4 players
- 1v1s are more competitive than 4v4s.
- If balance is impossible in 4v4s, then fuck the 4v4 players, because 1v1s are all that matter

4v4 players don't like this argument because
- We actually play 4v4s
- You yourself admit that 4v4s are a different game that doesn't require the skills of a 1v1 player. Furthermore, your above post now even lowers the "skill" of APM of your own game mode, 1v1, despite previously using that as a difference between 1v1 and 4v4 players (quote above)
- We would like to see Relic and .ORG advertise a 4v4 tournament in the same way they advertised OCF and compare hype/viewership/etc before we accept this argument
- There are more 4v4 games played than 1v1 games played, not to mention that each 4v4 game has 4x as many players. Therefore, there is no utilitarian reason to fuck over the majority to benefit the minority, when we are all equal customers who have purchased the game.

8 Dec 2015, 21:03 PM
Donator 11

This is just getting funnier and funnier.

1) You still think 4v4 takes individual skill compared to 1v1s and 2v2s. What are these "skills"

All four playlists require "skill" otherwise no team would be on +100 winstreaks and losing/winning wouldn't occur, it'd be purely RNG.

2) You still think that 4v4 is somehow magically able to be balanced on the same level as 1s and 2s, when it clearly isn't considering the permutations of match ups and the game mechanics that are diluted the more players you add into the game.

Look at the graph pictures I have on the thread. 4v4 between September and November has been very balanced. Compare that to right now or before September. 4v4 can be balanced, it's been balanced quite a few times including last patch to some extent (not perfect, but neither is 1v1 perfect)
8 Dec 2015, 21:33 PM

Having heard relic's justification for 1v1 centered balance, i can't help but feel this game is gonna head to the same place has dawn fo war franchise if they don't reconsider a few things.

Dawn of War was popular because of the huge team battles and with Relic's change of focus to 1v1 competitive, it became a very dull, monotone game and basically dead.

If they can't make one metric to balance all modes then Relic should try to have different balance fixes for the different modes, and this would once and for all kill the stupid arguments coming from players who can't see past their navel.
8 Dec 2015, 21:48 PM

8 Dec 2015, 21:49 PM

As i said many time in the past, balance should be worked from 4vs4 to 1vs1 and not the inverse.

When you want to balance something like a game, you must always take in consideration the worst case scenario. (for COH2 it's 4vs4 then 3vs3 to 1vs1)

When you do the inverse, you always amplify the problems/bugs and shit will hit the fan.(the situation we are in)

When 4vs4 is balanced, all other formats will be.

The best best players available should always be used as they will detect/used all tricks possible they can think of.

Thanks.
8 Dec 2015, 22:16 PM

@Aladdin: Just because you change LMAO to LOL doesn't mean you can just repost the exact same message. Nice try though.
8 Dec 2015, 22:48 PM

As i said many time in the past, balance should be worked from 4vs4 to 1vs1 and not the inverse.

When you want to balance something like a game, you must always take in consideration the worst case scenario. (for COH2 it's 4vs4 then 3vs3 to 1vs1)

When you do the inverse, you always amplify the problems/bugs and shit will hit the fan.(the situation we are in)

When 4vs4 is balanced, all other formats will be.

The best best players available should always be used as they will detect/used all tricks possible they can think of.

Thanks.

Fun fact.
4v4 was as close as it's ever been to balanced for the months of October-November.

1v1 wasn't.
Your argument fails.

Too many game mechanics break down or disappear in team games to the point where the two groups aren't really playing the same game. That's the best that can be said about the discrepancy between the two, in my opinion.

I don't know which is harder to balance, but they're different enough that they should be handled separately in many aspects.

Thanks.
8 Dec 2015, 23:15 PM

What a fucking turd of a thread this has turned into.

Every game mode should be balanced. 1v1 is "sexy" and has a lot of tournament stuff but most people in the trenches aren't playing 1v1 predominantly. You can't just ignore the majority of your player base in favour of the 1v1 master race.

Balancing team games is complicated, especially larger game modes. Nobody is going to be upset if you can't get perfect balance in a 4v4, but you can't just say "fuck it, everything is fine lol" based exclusively on 1v1s when one side is so blatantly OP in Big Team modes it's ridiculous.

Here are some pro tips for balancing the modes:

• Factions based on resource handicaps will be less handicapped where resources are more plentiful, cutoffs are harder to achieve and team resource sharing is possible.
  • Factions with late game advantage are strong in direct proportion to average game length and inversely proportional to probability of game ending before late game is reached.
  • The advantage conferred by forward retreat points increases proportionally with the size of the map.
  • The degree of micromanagement required for perfect unit preservation increases with higher player counts and larger maps, as more engagements occur, more firepower is concentrated in tighter spaces, and you need to scroll across more ground to get where you want to look.

So, micro intensive factions have a tougher time the higher you scale the modes (i.e. USF late game full of mediums, barring Pershing), armies with good late game (i.e. OKW / UKF prior to major nerfs) scale better with higher modes, factions without forward retreat points are disadvantaged in greater degree, and resource limitations are harder to balance around.

The trick to harmonising balance across game modes is to try and minimise faction strength differentials at different game phases (i.e. factions stronger earlier are advantaged in 1v1, factions stronger later are increasingly advantaged in larger modes) to give everyone an even shot; reducing balanced based around resource handicaps, delay or eliminate the appearance of forward retreat points to prevent them from snowballing advantages early, and try and equalise the degree of micro that factions required. Some of these things are easy, some are very hard (like the micro burden especially).

OKW recently had its resource penalty overturned. It is currently poorly balanced overall as a result of its radical overhaul. It needs time to settle down and be tweaked, but the elimination of it being balanced around a resource handicap is actually a great thing, long term. It means no more stupid napkin calculations, no more silliness with resource scaling in team modes making them way stronger than in solo games automatically etc. There are still OTHER problems with OKW, don't get me wrong, but once we tweak it in a few patches it's actually going to be better balanced across team modes than ever before, IMO. It won't be perfect, but it's a HUGE step in the right direction.

9 Dec 2015, 00:29 AM

Fun fact.
4v4 was as close as it's ever been to balanced for the months of October-November.

1v1 wasn't.
Your argument fails.

Too many game mechanics break down or disappear in team games to the point where the two groups aren't really playing the same game. That's the best that can be said about the discrepancy between the two, in my opinion.

I don't know which is harder to balance, but they're different enough that they should be handled separately in many aspects.

Thanks.

I don't think you understood anything i wrote, sorry.
9 Dec 2015, 03:20 AM

Disregarding current state, can anyone explain me: what the garden did Relic let the faction, which, according to Relic, focus on strong early game, have THE BEST SET OF MEDIUM ARMOUR IN WHOLE GARDENING GAME? Especially after second best being Ostheer. And put an only non-doctrinal heavy on top of that. And in the same time add very specific US cardboards to "what is the turret" soviet tank destroyers
9 Dec 2015, 04:03 AM

This is fun to watch.

OKW need more buffs, like right now. :romeoMug:
9 Dec 2015, 07:42 AM

On a sideNote: can someone go for #1 rank 1v1 from these 4v4 heroes? It takes the same skill so shouldnt be a problem :^)
9 Dec 2015, 13:31 PM

Because there are maps for multiple game modes (that dont add sectors depending on players) so people would get he pitchforks because pacing is slower in higher player games (alao true for 4v4 btw... doesnt have 4 times the ressources)

My point being that there must be some equation that will enable team games to be balanced.

For example, if 1v1 is considered the Holy Grail of resource income and pacing, then modify these on larger maps (or ones with more players) to get as close to that as possible.
1v1 map = 'A' number of sectors which translates into a maximum of 'B' resources per minute and a typical army size of 'C' units (or 'D' units average units per sector)

Do the same calculation for other maps and modes and you will see where the disparity is and potentially be able to modify income to cater for it.
9 Dec 2015, 15:23 PM

On a sideNote: can someone go for #1 rank 1v1 from these 4v4 heroes? It takes the same skill so shouldnt be a problem :^)

Maybe... but 1v1 isn't fun to me...
Can't get out heavies/late game units before the match is generally favored in one direction
9 Dec 2015, 21:34 PM

On a sideNote: can someone go for #1 rank 4v4 from these 1v1 heroes? It takes the same skill so shouldnt be a problem :^)

PAGES (13)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

Germany 33
Mexico 18
unknown 5
Philippines 1
Peru 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W