Login

russian armor

Struggling against USF in 1v1

30 Nov 2015, 10:25 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2015, 09:52 AMJunaid
Also, another question: Should I go for a fresh pio and keep the existing one 'on the line' when teching for T2. Asking specifically in the USF 1v1 context.

One important thing to remember is the extended sight your pios have which spots for your mg's. Not an expert on 1v1's so couldnt say whetehr you can afford two in early game but I almost always build 2 because they are so useful
30 Nov 2015, 10:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2015, 10:25 AMArray

One important thing to remember is the extended sight your pios have which spots for your mg's. Not an expert on 1v1's so couldnt say whetehr you can afford two in early game but I almost always build 2 because they are so useful

Agreed i always end up with 2 pios too. What i really meant was that is the benefit of an extra frontline unit worth the 200mp around the 6-8 min mark?
30 Nov 2015, 23:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2015, 09:27 AMJunaid

With ostheer you should be defensive. Ostheer is balls at attacking, especially in the early game.

I'm picking up on that recently, I think I've been playing them too much like Soviets or OKW. I don't have Kubel and Sturms or ConsConsConsCons to try and bully the other guy.

I'll go back with a different mind-set and see how I go with Mechanized and Jaeger Inf.
1 Dec 2015, 00:48 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

All my 1v1 losses are verses USF so far, but I have won before going T2 rush.
Here's my build order:
Pio
MG42
MG42
BP1
T2
PGren
PGren
PGren
PGren with Shrek

The two pios give you capping power (normally I get on VP drain ASAP) and spot for MG42s, MG42s are apart but close enough to move and cover each other. Reposition after every engagement so there's always an element of surprise.
222s hard-counter M20 rushes and kite riflemen. After 5 min though, I only use it to support MG42 b/c it gets screwed if AT-naded.
PGrens are excellent verses Rifles until they get LMGs, Flamers, or double BARs. Keep them in cover, avoid bundled grenades unless you see a blob/ garrison (just throw it at the door). PGren with Shreks counter Stuarts pretty hard, since it can't flank and avoid getting shot at.
Tellers and S-mines are great, don't forget.
1 Dec 2015, 02:10 AM

Here's my build order:
Pio
MG42
MG42
BP1
T2
PGren
PGren
PGren
PGren with Shrek

I take it you use the MGs to hold fuel? Do you not have issues with Rifles forcing a retreat on your MGs with smoke or just flanking with numbers? That's the issue I always run into at least.

Interesting use of PGs though, I do like PG Shreks. Do you find you need to leave out healing bunker to get Shreks?
1 Dec 2015, 02:38 AM

Here's my build order:
Pio
MG42
MG42
BP1
T2
PGren
PGren
PGren
PGren with Shrek

The two pios give you capping power (normally I get on VP drain ASAP) and spot for MG42s, MG42s are apart but close enough to move and cover each other. Reposition after every engagement so there's always an element of surprise.
222s hard-counter M20 rushes and kite riflemen. After 5 min though, I only use it to support MG42 b/c it gets screwed if AT-naded.
PGrens are excellent verses Rifles until they get LMGs, Flamers, or double BARs. Keep them in cover, avoid bundled grenades unless you see a blob/ garrison (just throw it at the door). PGren with Shreks counter Stuarts pretty hard, since it can't flank and avoid getting shot at.
Tellers and S-mines are great, don't forget.

Hmm. Guess I'll try this too. Always thought its too risky cause of risk of losing an mg early on
1 Dec 2015, 02:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2015, 23:47 PMMadeMan

I'm picking up on that recently, I think I've been playing them too much like Soviets or OKW. I don't have Kubel and Sturms or ConsConsConsCons to try and bully the other guy.

I'll go back with a different mind-set and see how I go with Mechanized and Jaeger Inf.

The early game goal should be:

1 vp, 1 fuel, 1 munitions at bare minimum. Against very agressive players even that can be a struggle to attain.

I always feel that the main issue is grens. In the early game they're good defenders but bad at attacking without mg42 support, but the mg42 itself doesn't work well in agressive pushes cause of its long set up/pack up. If you can grab something though, then that hmg42 turns into a beast. :D
1 Dec 2015, 02:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2015, 02:40 AMJunaid

The early game goal should be:

1 vp, 1 fuel, 1 munitions at bare minimum. Against very agressive players even that can be a struggle to attain.

I always feel that the main issue is grens. In the early game they're good defenders but bad at attacking without mg42 support, but the mg42 itself doesn't work well in agressive pushes cause of its long set up/pack up. If you can grab something though, then that hmg42 turns into a beast. :D

Agreed, that's why I love camo on MG42s so much. Setting one up in cover and then ambushing attackers is so effective.

I'll try locking down one half of the map instead of getting greedy with harassment in early game.
1 Dec 2015, 06:57 AM

Agreed, that's why I love camo on MG42s so much. Setting one up in cover and then ambushing attackers is so effective.

I'll try locking down one half of the map instead of getting greedy with harassment in early game.

Yes it is indeed :D. I played against it once as UKF and damn but it was terrifying to move forward.

On the harrassment: depends though. Against UKF it works wonders cause they're even more defensive-ish than ostheer in the early game. early 222 wrecks shit
1 Dec 2015, 09:50 AM

I did a bit better tonight, but still got overrun by infantry it feels like.
Any tips on what I did wrong here? I was sloppy with micro obviously, but I haven't been playing much recently.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/45522/ost-v-us-infantry-dilemma
1 Dec 2015, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I take it you use the MGs to hold fuel? Do you not have issues with Rifles forcing a retreat on your MGs with smoke or just flanking with numbers? That's the issue I always run into at least.

Interesting use of PGs though, I do like PG Shreks. Do you find you need to leave out healing bunker to get Shreks?

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2015, 02:38 AMJunaid

Hmm. Guess I'll try this too. Always thought its too risky cause of risk of losing an mg early on

Fuel is important, I do cover it with MGs (at least a portion of the point).

I keep MGs in buildings, and yes, Rifle smoke grenades are a huge hassle. That's why MGs need to be close enough to support each other (move a bit, reposition). So when you get smoked, you don't retreat the MG42, you just move it a little backward.

If you have the time, you can barb wire around your MG42 positions so that it's hard to rush at it/ catch it out of position.

Yes, the problem with this is very weak early game, and losing an MG is always bad. That's why I try to hop from building to building; this way, if I should lose an MG, the USF player can't turn it against me.

Medic Bunker is critical, as PGs are not damage soakers. Just avoid laying mines (even tellers) and avoid PG grenades until you get a Shrek.

EDIT: Replay. No smoke, but quite some aggressive cut-off action.
1 Dec 2015, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I did a bit better tonight, but still got overrun by infantry it feels like.
Any tips on what I did wrong here? I was sloppy with micro obviously, but I haven't been playing much recently.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/45522/ost-v-us-infantry-dilemma

A few things I've noted, and against USF it's mainly early game:

1) MG42 positioning. I would keep it covering your cut-offs, instead of moving around all the time and supporting your Grens. 2 Grens can stand up to a single Rifle squad at range.

2) Sniper. I would say that you are using your Sniper far too aggressively. Always keep it behind your Grens when advancing. See Paul a.d.'s 75-kill sniper game for excellent Sniper usage.

A question: why would you go Mechanized doctrine if you had Assault Support and Jager light infantry?
1 Dec 2015, 21:35 PM

^Thanks for the tips
1) I always worry that leaving an MG on it's own is just burning manpower, but in this case it's probably worth it to serve as a deterrant to cutting off fuel etc. I might couple it with some barbed wire.

2) I agree, I rarely use snipers, so I'm still learning how to micro him properly. I might have gotten lucky a few times there too :p

As for Mechanized, it's just a doctrine I wanted to try using. I like the smoke bombs and spotting scope options, as well as the command tank. The Half Track seems a bit pointless sometimes though.

I might go back to Assault Support, I do enjoy that one, but I want to hold off on Jaeger until I get delicious 1CP G43s.
1 Dec 2015, 22:07 PM

I have been playing Ostheer recently and feel no particular issue vs USF or Sov till now (at least). Playing vs one or the other isn't really different to me at the end.

BO:
x1 HMG42
X2 Gren
x1 HMG42
x1 gren or x1 pio (depend on what I need)
BP1 when 40 fuel
x1 sdfk 251 to keep map presence

Next depend on the game.

My tips are:
1- Do not rush early game in his side, keep your 1st MG next to your 1st pio and gren. Cap Fuel/Ammo/cutoff and defend it. Set mine to defend your flanks.

2- Except if he is turtling himself, always wait for his attack - retreat and next send your unit to cap his territories. the 251 is good for that since you can move it with them and reinforce in any territories. Set some mines if you can during the operation. Also use 1 of your HMG to cover them, just a-move it behind them so it can naturally setup when the enemi counter attack.

3- MG management: always have a spotter, pio or gren, never leave the unit in your front line. With that, always use a-move with the MG so it will not setup, if you use it well with the spotter you'll always have time to setup and fire and not being flanked.

4- If you are flanked, retreat instantly, never hope on RNG jesus to save your ass.

5- T3 Stug first in almost all my game to counter medium works well.

So far by only following those tips, this brought me to rank330 without any particular or exceptional micro and I almost never pick a doctrine before 15/20 minutes. I also almost never upgrade LMG42 on my gren.

2 Dec 2015, 06:43 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Everything that has been said here is good. Build Order is half the battle; whether it's getting a couple of MGs and an extra pio and then rushing for Pgrens or it's staying in T1 as long as possible, it doesn't matter so long as it works.

I played a game against a fellow Bear today, lasted about 110 minutes. Ostruppen doctrine works well, I've found, against all of the factions. Double sniper + 3-4 Ostruppen and a couple of MGs? You're set against USF or the brits. Hell, you'll even fuck up everything the soviets have except maybe well-used shocks.

But the best thing, the most important thing my friend Iron Emperor told me is focus. Always focus. There are a few things that can help with micro in game; control groups for infantry (I always control group every one of my squads; MGs on 6 or 5, Sniper on 5, tanks on 7, rocket artillery 0, etc.) If you don't use hotkeys, change the settings from classic to grid; makes hotkeys a hell of a lot easier to use.

Lastly, put your phone on airplane mode, or turn it off, or whatever. mute the phone.
If you want to win, it doesn't matter that the credit card company is calling about your $30k debt, or if your wife needs you to pick up the kids from school. You're out there in Minsk killing Communists, or in Holland killing Tommies, or, in this case, you're out there in Semois killing Uncle Sam.
You're here to win.
2 Dec 2015, 07:53 AM

I can report atleast one success against USF by following the 'don't rush T2' strategy, though I feel the opponent was a bit lacking in this match.

Ty mate!
2 Dec 2015, 21:41 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Thinking that you have to tech T2 ASAP is the curse of many players. You don't. Staying in t1 as long as possible is a way to go for at least half a year now. That, with t0, is exactly where you have best counters to usf

This is only true if the other player techs captain. If they tech Lt. You need to tech t2 immediately. Also never say l2p to someone asking something on the strategy forums :).
3 Dec 2015, 01:12 AM

I had some success yesterday putting this mindset into practice. I held my fuel, munitions and VP and didn't try to harass early on. I could repel the US infantry and then later on start bothering his cut-off.

I also held up in T1 as long as I could before going T2 and bolstering with an AT gun.
I need to get better at using mines in conjunction with MGs to stop pesky sweepers.

I was able to do well by stalling him enough that I could get PIVs out while they struggled to field much armour to counter them.

I also used the Assault Doctrine, the Officer is still fun to use, love his smoke and Concentrate Fire abilities.

Can someone tell me how to optimally use the Blitz Truck though? What are the advantages/disadvantages over a Cache? Do I get max fuel benefit by parking it on a fuel point instead of a standard point?
3 Dec 2015, 11:50 AM

I had some success yesterday putting this mindset into practice. I held my fuel, munitions and VP and didn't try to harass early on. I could repel the US infantry and then later on start bothering his cut-off.

I also held up in T1 as long as I could before going T2 and bolstering with an AT gun.
I need to get better at using mines in conjunction with MGs to stop pesky sweepers.

I was able to do well by stalling him enough that I could get PIVs out while they struggled to field much armour to counter them.

I also used the Assault Doctrine, the Officer is still fun to use, love his smoke and Concentrate Fire abilities.

Can someone tell me how to optimally use the Blitz Truck though? What are the advantages/disadvantages over a Cache? Do I get max fuel benefit by parking it on a fuel point instead of a standard point?

Advantage of blitz truck is that it acts like a fuel+muni cache. As in, it gives a bonus to both fuel AND munitions. That's the benefit. Also, stacks with a prebuilt cache too. Benefit is fixed at +5 munitions, +3 fuel (per minute)

Cost is ofcourse: its fragile and more expensive than a standard cache. And the enemy always knows which sectors are trucked, so if they can get a scout car in, they benefit a lot. And resource bonus does not benefit teammates any more.

Placing it at a fuel or muni point has no special effect now (it USED to, but not anymore).
3 Dec 2015, 14:14 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS