Login

russian armor

Sturmtiger + Volksblob/Raketens of Doom - How to Counter

8 Nov 2015, 01:18 AM

Hey there guys.

Having a bit of trouble countering this currently. Just played a game on Kholodny where this guy managed to beat me by getting instant wipes through shotblockers with the Sturmtiger while simultaneously protecting it from any counterplay with his 4 Vet 5 Shreck Volks and Raketens. I tried isolating individual squads and going for the wipes with a Sherman and Rangers, but the blob would invariably arrive and force me back, or the sturmtiger would make an ambush shot through like half of the map and instantly nuke a Vet 3 squad or a vehicle.

M2HBs, AT Guns and Pack Howis proved ineffective at stopping the blob and the ST, mostly because the guy had tripled stacked suppression bulletins and would simply close in and kill the team weapon, or just blow it up.

sned hepl
[summons based senpai cookiezncream]

EDIT: In retrospect, wasn't laying even nearly enough mines.

8 Nov 2015, 05:53 AM

Replays help others see the mistakes that you yourself missed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you messed up in the economy and map control area's.

I.E. You focused on one area.

Actually was this a 1v1?
8 Nov 2015, 11:30 AM

Replays help others see the mistakes that you yourself missed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you messed up in the economy and map control area's.

I.E. You focused on one area.

Actually was this a 1v1?

1v1, yes.
Economy was fine, I had control of the north and the south for most of the game. Replacing losses wasn't so much of an issue as more having the wrong army composition to deal with such a strange strategy, resulting a bunch of wipes that eventually snowballed. Only things I really fucked up on was losing the Pershing to some commando Raketens that jumped in from camo while it was repairing behind the lines, and not mining up while I had a muni float. But, anyway.

Theorycrafting: How do you deal with a unit like a Sturmtiger being so aggressively screened?

My go to was Rangers(Sturmtigered or crushed beneath the weight of the Volks), BAR Rifles (See previous) Pack Howis (Generally ineffective, probably bad micro on my part), a Sherman(Ended up being useful against isolated squads)and an M2 that got instantly Sturmtiger nuked. Jackson proved entirely ineffective due to shotblockers.

Main solutions I can think of in retrospect:
-Armour Company, Demo plays and M10s
-More mines to stop the blob and pick up periphery wipes
-Two Pack Howis
-Zook riflemen/RE blob to dive the Sturmtiger
-Advanced alien shielding systems to bounce the Sturmtiger rocket back into the Sturmtiger
8 Nov 2015, 11:58 AM

How come you didnt use the pack howies White Phosphorous Barrage to deny him area or force his infantry away, if what you say is true his only true ai was the sturm tiger so if you spread out and attack from all sides you couldves attack his infantry force with only the risk of 1 squad being wiped from the sturm tiger
You said you controlled most the map so had free reign to get into position barrage him and attack him while he is being barraged then spam grenades to try to force him to mess up from all the micro he has to do once your infantry chased his infantry off bring in any tank to fuck up that sturmtiger it cant do shit to you just shoot it in the ass if it trys to do a runner at nade it
I understand how you feel 1 of my early USF games I had so much fuel but I lost cause I fed the enemy vet with my tanks cause I got cocky with my fuel I was like so what if I lose a tank I can just buy a new one just trust me on this if this happens again where he has only 1 sturm tiger to counter your infantry just spread out and then attack from all sides, smoke if you wanna get in close you will be able to tell if the sturm tiger is targeting an infantry squad but you CANT! retreat its a fear tactic mostly just keep strafing once you feel its safe for tanks to come in well send that sturmtiger to somewhere like hell

P.S MGs barely do shit to vetted infantry the amount of times infantry (doesnt matter what unit riflemen, grenadiers, panzer grenadiers etc.) just ran right upto my mg is not funny
16 Nov 2015, 19:12 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

It is possible with USF to play perfectly and still lose if you let the game drag late. Victories over the 40 minute mark usually only happen if the OKW player has a damaged army already or they make mistakes. Force them to build early armor instead of late armor.
18 Nov 2015, 12:05 PM

If the S Tiger is perfectly screened, its probably a good idea to be as mobile as possible, team weapons are sitting ducks, so are squads in buildings, groups of squads (blob) are also asking for it.

But if you manage to constantly move with agile vehicles keeping up the bleed on the volks, you might manage to mitigate the effect of the S Tiger.

The skill planes of airbourne are also a pretty solid way to own a cumbersome tank like this.

Also, if he got a solid vet 4/5 blob of volks, hes probably already outplayed you, and youve bled too much.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★