Login

russian armor

Porting CoH1 Panzer Elite as final Axis faction

4 Nov 2015, 13:02 PM

PE are basically OKW.
4 Nov 2015, 13:03 PM

There is a CoH1 mod for CoH2 in Steam Workshop, it also has Panzer Elite in it, you can try that to see how it feels.
4 Nov 2015, 13:35 PM

I'd rather see single new commander for one army at a time every month or two with new units there.

-keeps the meta fresh
-doesn't flip whole game balance for extended time
-revenue for relic, variety for players
-gives them enough to balance it before release
4 Nov 2015, 13:46 PM

regarding non-german factions: noone (including me/japan might be an exception, but they dont really belong to the european theatre) would buy them. yes i know some of you on here would, but the silent majority of coh2 players wouldnt really care about those factions. hence no revenue for relic, ergo they wont do it

but keep dreaming B-)
4 Nov 2015, 14:12 PM

Several days ago, my friend give me an idea: porting Panzer Elite as final Axis faction.

The idea is kind of great because:
1/As Relic side, workload is reduced greatly, since you don't have to make new model from beginning.
2/No need to think new faction design plan. PE tech tree was already great in CoH1.
3/Panzer Elite game style is completely different than the rest of current factions. Their armor car, half track with hit-and-run tactic is not to be seen yet.
4/Many of community requests such as Hummel, Jagdpanther or Flak88 are fulfilled.

As for new faction, I would suggest:
- Replace Ostheer Panzer Grenadier with Brandenburger, with same stats.
- Replace Ostheer 222 with Puma 20mm and Motorcycle, stats readjust.
- Small discount for any player who own OF or ToV.

The only downside is because it adds another axis faction. But the game was mainly in Europe, so I think PE would fit best.

They did this already. It is called USF.
4 Nov 2015, 14:14 PM

The game needs to focus on

1. Optimization
2. Balance
3. Making the current commanders useful and each viable

#2 and #3 are what Relic has been doing for these years, which are parallel and long-term tasks. #1 won't happen since Relic is about to move on to other project, they don't have money to work that for free.
4 Nov 2015, 14:28 PM
4 Nov 2015, 14:46 PM
Patrion 14

I think Relic deliberately has 2 axis factions to 3 allied because people tend to want to play Axis more.

Yesterday there was a pretty consistent 50-50 search ratio in a 4v4. FIFTY FIFTY SEARCH RATIO. THAT HAS LITERALLY NEVER HAPPENED.

Oh and certain... changes ... from the Brits alpha, which never made it into the game proper, indicate that Relic indeed wants to bring OKW closer to CoH1 PE in playstyle.
4 Nov 2015, 14:58 PM

Commanders could feature other countries.

Exactly.
4 Nov 2015, 15:08 PM

If Relic wants to add another army, then it should be Oberkommando Süd (OKS). I mean the Germans still fought in Upper Italy in early 1945. However they were not equipped with the most advanced weapons. This would give the opportunity to equip them with a lot of captured weapons - e.g. French and Italian tanks.
4 Nov 2015, 15:34 PM
Donator 11

Cut all the trees, put wide roads where tanks can roam freely and you have battlefields of coh2.

Finland was able to defend exclusively because of terrain and weather-the factors that are not one sided completely towards single army in coh2.

This is not completely correct. Look for example at the battle of Tali-Ihantala (1944). The Finns:
(a) ... fought in the summer.
(b) ... the terrain was not that good for defence, although the Finns always tried to make maximal use of the terrain.
(c) ... met the best units and tanks the Sovjet had on that time.
(d) ... did what the Germans failed in the summer 1944, they stopped the Sovjet attack at that place.

Just watch the movie Tali-Ihantala 1944 (2007).
4 Nov 2015, 15:37 PM
Senior Caster Badge

#2 and #3 are what Relic has been doing for these years, which are parallel and long-term tasks. #1 won't happen since Relic is about to move on to other project, they don't have money to work that for free.

This is actually not true. Relic are actually putting a lot into this game, they want and need it to be E-Sports ready at some point in the future and Relic staff already did confirm it's a big thing on their list..

IN about 3 hours time, I will be streaming with Relic on www.twitch.tv/relicentertainment and I will be bringing this issue of optimization and balance up with Kyle the community manager. So if you tune in to that I'll put any questions about this across but I can assure you that they do want to optimize this as a priority.
4 Nov 2015, 15:43 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, that'll help them against IS-2 on open fields of coh2.

For example Toivo Ilomäki destroyed 21 tanks in the summer of 1944 with his PAK. The majority of them in the Battle of Sammatus. Just look at the pictures of that specific place.
4 Nov 2015, 15:53 PM
Donator 11

I hope we will see one more Axis army, that is the combined Italian army and Africa Corps, which fought in Africa and Italy. And I hope also that Relic will make commanders with specific abilities for different countries, for example Finnish, Canadian, Australian, Hungarian commanders. Then we can see really interesting units.
4 Nov 2015, 16:33 PM

OKW just got a new commander so I doubt they will implement this anytime this year. I think Wehrmacht and Soviets are over due with new commanders, perhaps JagdPanther?
4 Nov 2015, 16:38 PM

There is JP4, StuG, ele and JT.

Why would they ever implement JP as a commander unit?
4 Nov 2015, 16:48 PM

I don't care about new factions, as long as my game does not result in bugsplat. If Relic really want to add a new faction, they should introduce Afrika Corps, desert map Afrika Corps vs Brit.
4 Nov 2015, 17:00 PM

regarding non-german factions: noone (including me/japan might be an exception, but they dont really belong to the european theatre) would buy them. yes i know some of you on here would, but the silent majority of coh2 players wouldnt really care about those factions. hence no revenue for relic, ergo they wont do it

but keep dreaming B-)

Hey it doesn't mean that if something about WW2 isn't german (about axis forces i mean) = it sucks and i don't understand why people think a faction sucks even if they have never tried it also because at the moment doesn't exist. I don't understand how you know that the silent majority of CoH2 players wouldn't buy a possible Italian, Hungarian or Finnish faction. Have you asked everyone what they think? I would buy a possible Italian faction for many reasons and I respect your opinion but I'm sure that a new axis faction is possible and (IMHO) that faction should be Italy and after my sentence the shitstorm would arrive people saying the usual bullshits and thinking that Italians don't suit the game date (I repeat that eastern front armies are set in 1943 during Kursk when Italy was still in the axis side) and also people who still believe that Italian soldiers were sent to war without ammo, rifles, food. Also tanks ahahah you'll read people saying that Italian tanks sucks because they are Italian tanks and not comparing their role against their real counterparts (the M13 is a LIGHT tank not a medium one) and people forgetting that in CoH the armies aren't only infantry and tanks but there are also AT guns, vehicles, commander abilities and aircrafts.
I also don't understand people asking for Afrika Korps that was a part of the axis forces in Africa (we have 5 German divisons with 24 Italian divisions) but who cares? Only because they are Germans they are better. Is it obvious or not?
Also the great Italian lacks were leadership but in game the leader is the player and the lack of resources to produce the vehicles and tanks, but in game you have manpower automatically and you find fuel and ammo all over the map, so the lack of resources (that also doesn't happen to Germans)isn't so important in CoH2.
Also people forgetting that the Italian army of 1943 was very different and modernized compared to the Italian army of 1940 during Greece and Op. Compass that people says everytime when you talk about the Italians and forget the years after.
4 Nov 2015, 17:17 PM
Donator 11

Hey it doesn't mean that if something about WW2 isn't german (about axis forces i mean) = it sucks

John Wayne made a movie about a Finnish WW2-commander: Lauri Törni (Larry Thorne).
4 Nov 2015, 17:31 PM

I'll remind people about Hungary:

http://www.coh2.org/news/32504/forgotten-nations-hungary

Sadly with new responsibilities the rest of Forgotten Nations has been on back buner but I hope to get some more out soon

"The Honved does not merit a full faction by itself, and in addition much of their fighting was intermixed with the Ostheer. However the standard five slots of a Commander is not really enough to do them justice and include all their unique armour units. Instead I would propose the concept of a "Nation", which is an intermediate status between Faction and Commander. Nations otherwise work as commanders and can be selected in the same way in game, however in addition to 5 Commander abilities they also replace some of the Core Units with unique ones. The player will have a mix of standard and national units, reflecting the fact that the army in question was closely linked to and fought alongside the core faction.

For the Honved I am accordingly treating them as variant Nation of the Ostheer and when I do Finland I intend to treat them in a similar way."

So, this is where I got idea for national-based Ostheer subfaction system!
Thanks.

I hope we could flesh this all out some day :D
This system really would be best.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment