Login

russian armor

Rangers feedback

2 Nov 2015, 23:55 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

While we're on the topic, the standard firearm of the Rangers was the M1 Garand, backed up with a single M1919 light machine-gun per section, and a single M2 60mm mortar and two Bazookas per platoon. So an M1919 LMG upgrade would not be out of the question.

Submachine-guns were not officially issued at all to the squads, but US troops were packrats and found ways to get their hands on additional equipment all the time. One well-documented trick that Infantry Company commanders had was to officially declare their weapons platoon had 'lost' their two light machine-guns and then requisition some 'replacements', effectively doubling their automatic firepower :)

Thanks, I couldn't really find much hard stuff on SMG usage by the Yanks. Apparently that's why.
3 Nov 2015, 00:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 23:55 PMVuther

Thanks, I couldn't really find much hard stuff on SMG usage by the Yanks. Apparently that's why.

It was very ad hoc. There were cases where Rifle squads got issued a whole bunch of M3's, but it was on a temporary basis for an assault of some kind and an officer had to scrounge them up from somewhere. Unlike every other nation during WW2, the US didn't officially give a submachine-gun to the squad leader until the war was pretty much over. The US Army was a strong believer in the semi-automatic rifle providing all the firepower the Rifle squad needed, so much so that they kept the M1918 BAR as the squad's automatic weapon even though it was a pale imitation of a light machine-gun.

The M3 was far more common than the M1 Thompson, but was mainly given to vehicle crews and other non-frontline troops who just needed a small defensive weapon. The M1 Thompson was pretty expensive to make, so it was highly prized.

Again, more off-topic history tidbits. Apologies :)
3 Nov 2015, 01:03 AM

It bugs me that don't have garands. The us army issued garands to every single unit. It was THE infantry weapon. I also hate that rangers have less tactical depth than rifles. Hell, rear echelon can suppress... all they get is a grenade. Yippee. Even if it was something as useless as the sappers destroy cover demo ir would be appreciated. Give them thermite or willie Pete nade or summat. These guys at least have elite received accuracy but that is the only thing to distinguish them from other units. I personally was hoping for a demi but I'd take anything at this point.
3 Nov 2015, 03:45 AM

What about a thermite grenade for a special ability? Useful for destroying resource caches or destroying unmanned AT guns/mgs, while behind enemy lines.

I was actually reading about the rangers during their assault on Point Du Hoc and they used thermite grenades to destroy the German artillery pieces. M1941 LMGs would be sick as well.

+1 thermite grenades !
3 Nov 2015, 05:17 AM

I reckon rangers should cloak like commandos or at least have smoke nades for tactical movement.
3 Nov 2015, 08:01 AM

Rangers should have something to differentiate them from other units, currently they are just Shocks 2.0.
3 Nov 2015, 12:34 PM

Thermite grenades and M1941 LMGs... Kreygasm
3 Nov 2015, 12:37 PM

maybe add a little (tactical) nuke for the special flavor?

the commander is balanced (more on the strong side tbh) and i cant see a single reason to buff it in anyway ( commander and faction wise). really not a single one. even if rangers are equal or worse than paras, so what? they come in a fucking doctrin with the only heavy tank for usf+ field upgrade, cheap smoke, a great cominbed war ability. if u buff rangers you need to nerf it elsewhere in the doctrine.
3 Nov 2015, 17:49 PM

Hi all,
First of all, I am completely unaware of the "numbers" behind the Rangers; this is just my opinion...they seem somewhat underwhelming. For a squad that costs 400 MP, and comes at 3 CP, I expected a bit more punch. They seem to die fairly easily, at least they did to fallschirmjaegers, a unit which , if I'm not mistaken, costs the same. Also, I seem to remember a description of them as being troops that specialize in marksmanship and demolitions. Yet, they are lacking in demo charges, and any special marksmanship related ability. At the very least, in order to fulfill their role as frontline shock troops, I'd like to see Fire Up. I'd also like the Thompsons to be free. Leave everything else as is, I guess, since they don't seem to have very many hit points....

hahaha
are you insane?
They are great...when well used
3 Nov 2015, 18:25 PM

Tactical assault or sprint ability would be nice.
3 Nov 2015, 18:46 PM

I understand people's interest in giving them more flavor, but their flavor is that they come with 3 weapon slots and can upgrade smg's. That is already pretty unusual for a USF unit. The issue of giving them more versatility is that this is a buff. This would make the unit have more combat roles. Things like increased movement speed would be a huge buff because they could close the gap quickly and deal huge DPS. TFire up would allow them to ignore suppression partially. A new grenade option would give them more roles against infantry and buildings that they currently don't have (again a buff). Nerfs in other areas seem unlikely since the unit is expensive to reinforce, so needs to be very powerful as it gains vet to make sure you can afford to keep it around.

Careful what you wish for.
3 Nov 2015, 19:26 PM

Has anyone tried the whole "give them 3 BARs" idea yet? Kind of curious how that compares to the Thompsons.

Thermite grenades would be fun as hell, especially with Relic's new "Fire, fire everywhere!" game design
3 Nov 2015, 19:33 PM
Donator 33

Has anyone tried the whole "give them 3 BARs" idea yet? Kind of curious how that compares to the Thompsons.

Thermite grenades would be fun as hell, especially with Relic's new "Fire, fire everywhere!" game design

Yep, gave some nice mid range capability and reached vet 3 to take on stock Obers head on. Very big investment though. Triple bazooka is also hilarious.
3 Nov 2015, 21:43 PM

wit their tommy guns they r gud imo just need to have either the holster AT weapons in AA or sprint ability to make them stand out from paras
4 Nov 2015, 02:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I understand people's interest in giving them more flavor, but their flavor is that they come with 3 weapon slots and can upgrade smg's. That is already pretty unusual for a USF unit. The issue of giving them more versatility is that this is a buff. This would make the unit have more combat roles. Things like increased movement speed would be a huge buff because they could close the gap quickly and deal huge DPS. TFire up would allow them to ignore suppression partially. A new grenade option would give them more roles against infantry and buildings that they currently don't have (again a buff). Nerfs in other areas seem unlikely since the unit is expensive to reinforce, so needs to be very powerful as it gains vet to make sure you can afford to keep it around.

Careful what you wish for.

I'm with you in this, so it should be more of a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

Ideas: (not all of them!)
Give them a satchel charge.
Bolster zook upgrade. Negates Thompson upgrade.
Remove self healing at vet2. Replace with smoke nade.
Add Royal Engineers or Paratroopers demo charge.

Nades already fulfills the role of antigarrison. I don't think satchels (Penals) are that scary to give them out.
Bolster: zook aren't crazy good as shrecks and they are on an expensive platform (kinda like PG).
Smoke nade is the biggest buff. That's why i gate it behind vet and replacing survivability traits. It would make it somehow different to Paras at least.
Obviously i won't give them remote detonation demos. I said Royal E. demos to differentiate it from Paras (although both are kinda useless :P)

PD: i'm not sure with the smoke idea (more like a nope). I'll prefer either the bolster or satchel idea. Demos is kinda meh. Sprint is an absolutely no IMO
4 Nov 2015, 02:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ideas:
Remove self healing at vet2. Replace with smoke nade.
Add Royal Engineers or Paratroopers demo charge.
Give them a satchel charge.

This strikes me as a bad idea with how amazing Paras are already.

Also, Royal Engineers? Are you really referring to that UKF engineer unit, or did you mean up your REs and meant to say Rear Echelon?
4 Nov 2015, 03:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2015, 02:58 AMVuther

Paras amazing? Right now rifles are better in almost all scenarios.
4 Nov 2015, 05:09 AM

Paras amazing? Right now rifles are better in almost all scenarios.

No. Paras aren't used because timing them and Paths is tough without bleeding because you have to open with Rifles.

But minus that they are the best infantry ingame, period. Tactical Assault absolutely murders weapons teams and retreating units, M1919s are OP as ever, they scale incredibly, and can reinforce ANYWHERE. Oh yeah, how did I forget, Satchel Charges can blow up bunkers and OKW buildings too.
4 Nov 2015, 05:22 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2015, 02:58 AMVuther

Also, Royal Engineers? Are you really referring to that UKF engineer unit, or did you mean up your REs and meant to say Rear Echelon?

Paras demo charge is a timed ability: you can't use it to wipe squads. Mostly anti bunker.
Royal engineers "demo": "Destroy target piece of cover, barbed wire, or hedge with a small explosive charge." Cost 0 muni and won't do anything than a tank with crush wouldn't do.

Edit: notice that i changed my post. I made some clarifications.

Oh yeah, how did I forget, Satchel Charges can blow up bunkers and OKW buildings too.

They are demos that takes ages to build and detonate automatically. You might destroy a bunker after pushing off the enemy but i doubt you'll have the time to destroy an OKW building.
4 Nov 2015, 05:59 AM

Rangers feel alright. They just need a sprint ability or smoke grenade or something imo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★