Login

russian armor

What are your Heavy Cavalry Strategies?

31 Oct 2015, 21:42 PM

I wanna know how everyone else uses this commander, I know its a bit too early to ask but so far I like this commander with its riflemen defenses, smoke barrage, combined arms, rangers and of course the mighty Pershing

But personally I find the Pershing under performing for its cost it has good damage and all and its range is great but its eventually gonna get into a fight and when it does it loses its health so quickly you just pull out straight away

and if you go 3 riflemen then rangers will just be an mp bleed for you its better to just call one in to replace a riflemen if you went 3 of em and this commander does have you use riflemen cause you know riflemen defenses

But thats just my opinion and Im not a good USF player nor did I use the commander much yet (but I do love it!)

What are your strategies when using it I'd like to know how other people play with this commander and how you implement rangers into your strategy (please specify which gamemode you do it in btw)
31 Oct 2015, 22:39 PM

I have only played team games so far, my build for early game is 2 rifles second re and depending on the situation either LT or capt, I get double bars on re to help them vet up so I can repair the pershing faster later on.

I also get some fuel caches early with second re but this is usually on bigger team games.

Late game usually goes with Pershing double rangers and double jackson if I really need to counter heavy stuff, maybe a scott before all this to soft them up and its also good vs OKW trucks, if the rifles haven't died I give zooks so they can threaten engine damage on any tank they encounter.
1 Nov 2015, 04:57 AM
Patrion 14

had a quite a few serious game where it was used by me or against me.

the ranger is good. but, the problem with USF call in infantries is that by the time you unlock them, even 1cp pathfinders, you have 3 rifles already 99% of the time FFS. and sometimes, i want lieutenant, captain and major. and i dont fuckin want a dozen infantry units by 15 minute mark both due to micro and manpower bleed.

so rangers for me, a replacement for rifles if i lose them.

field defense, i mean really nice but the fuckin mine feels like it take a full minute to plant. so you can't be too aggressive with mines and plant too many of them unless you want your rifles to be out of action for a long time.

50 muni smoke, worth it. but i don't try to spam them because 50 muni is still quiet a bit of muni. takes about 6 sec to fall, so it is pretty quick. not quick enough for you to charge a mg42 and then call in (you'll take a lot of damage), but quick enough to preemptively call-in to cover your retreat.

combined arms, it sound nice on paper. i forget to use it all the time lol.

-----------------

now pershing. first things i notice.

1. good dps
2. good against infantry a bit like IS2 - fluctuate between wipe or total miss (not as much as is2 though)
3. vet quickly
4.fast, mobile, 800hp is enough and still feel a lot for a USF tank.
5. Environment Piercing shots - borderline OP at least.

range is indefinite as long as it does not hit the terrain.

indicated range ~70 but you can click outside of the indicated range to shoot which translate to situations like:
you see an almost dead ostwind behind heavy hedgerow 100m away across a smooth terrain, you click the ability, click the ostwind, pershing shoots as soon as it turns the turret and ostwind dead.

-------------------------------

my strat is normal USF strat really. spam rifle, lieutenant or captain then major. 13 cp is way too long to hold out for unless you are on the back foot and cannot afford major. i mean, ranger is better flanker, smoke enhances normal rifle play - flanking, combined army is complimentary, field defense is good but a mine won't suddenly make USF a defensive faction and pershing is pershing.

13cp is laaaate. so if you are winning early game as you are supposed to, you should probably not think "ill get jackson to cover AT and complement AI with pershing", because 13cp is laaaaaate.

1 Nov 2015, 05:02 AM

Field defenses are always nice.

The smoke barrage is really, really good.

It drops pretty quick and covers a large area. I haven't used it in a 1v1 yet, but I'm excited.

Combined Arms is godlike.

Pershing itself is really nice. Great AT and strong AI. Good vet bonuses too. It's like a slightly better Comet. It's too expensive to really use all that often thought, but that's just my playstyle.

Rangers seem like the weak link, to be honest. Vanilla they seem little better than Riflemen, their potential to have lots of weapons is nice though but that's a huge munitions investment. Maybe they have great vet bonuses though, I haven't looked. I also want to see how triple bar's performs. I think it'd be fun to put three bazookas on them and see how that rocks.

1 Nov 2015, 05:02 AM

Its good for 2v2s I found but in 1v1 rifle company is so much more solid because you use all of its abilities and you get everything when you need it but in 2v2s I was playing with a bud with mine and you can open with 2 rifles and get rangers later and not be punished but I wish the Pershing had more health or armor cause it dies just as easily as my Sherman and its an expensive tank it should have the health of a tiger but I just hope relic buffs it health or armor so it can stay in a pickle abit longer
1 Nov 2015, 05:42 AM

So far my opening build has been Rifle-Rifle-Rifle-RE-Rifle-Captain-Ambo-Stuart-BAR Upgrade-Major-Sherman.

In the early game, use REs as bait/vision for rifles to flank HMGs, don't forget you can make durable green cover with both riflemen(sandbags) and REs(tank traps).

Purchase at guns/pak howis where necessary to deal with mg bunkers/early scout car or luchs.

Sherman to deal with early P4, and also kite and harass infantry.

When i upgrade to bars, i equip my REs before riflemen to give more map presence since rifles do fine with garands.

Don't forget to set mines on popular spots to lessen the impact of an early vehicle rush.
1 Nov 2015, 06:50 AM

I enjoy the mines, I sometimes use the smoke against the OKW Flak truck to prevent it from firing on my infantry for a while, Rangers are awesome, but they can also use additional weapons other than the Thompson to make them versatile. Combined arms is useful with a Sherman or a Jackson if you need that extra range.

As for the Pershing, I can see that being used alongside infantry assaults to deter anything like a Panzer IV from harassing them.
1 Nov 2015, 07:31 AM

had a quite a few serious game where it was used by me or against me.

the ranger is good. but, the problem with USF call in infantries is that by the time you unlock them, even 1cp pathfinders, you have 3 rifles already 99% of the time FFS. and sometimes, i want lieutenant, captain and major. and i dont fuckin want a dozen infantry units by 15 minute mark both due to micro and manpower bleed.

so rangers for me, a replacement for rifles if i lose them.

field defense, i mean really nice but the fuckin mine feels like it take a full minute to plant. so you can't be too aggressive with mines and plant too many of them unless you want your rifles to be out of action for a long time.

50 muni smoke, worth it. but i don't try to spam them because 50 muni is still quiet a bit of muni. takes about 6 sec to fall, so it is pretty quick. not quick enough for you to charge a mg42 and then call in (you'll take a lot of damage), but quick enough to preemptively call-in to cover your retreat.

combined arms, it sound nice on paper. i forget to use it all the time lol.

-----------------

now pershing. first things i notice.

1. good dps
2. good against infantry a bit like IS2 - fluctuate between wipe or total miss (not as much as is2 though)
3. vet quickly
4.fast, mobile, 800hp is enough and still feel a lot for a USF tank.
5. Environment Piercing shots - borderline OP at least.

range is indefinite as long as it does not hit the terrain.

indicated range ~70 but you can click outside of the indicated range to shoot which translate to situations like:
you see an almost dead ostwind behind heavy hedgerow 100m away across a smooth terrain, you click the ability, click the ostwind, pershing shoots as soon as it turns the turret and ostwind dead.

-------------------------------

my strat is normal USF strat really. spam rifle, lieutenant or captain then major. 13 cp is way too long to hold out for unless you are on the back foot and cannot afford major. i mean, ranger is better flanker, smoke enhances normal rifle play - flanking, combined army is complimentary, field defense is good but a mine won't suddenly make USF a defensive faction and pershing is pershing.

13cp is laaaate. so if you are winning early game as you are supposed to, you should probably not think "ill get jackson to cover AT and complement AI with pershing", because 13cp is laaaaaate.

Rangers work similarly to Airborne, they replace lost rifles unless you got a ton of floating mp, which you shouldn't as USF, it also gives the Pershing, which is a nice addition for a all around solid tank, although a bit expensive.
1 Nov 2015, 07:53 AM

Rifleman, rifleman, RE, ambulance, captain (Because I know they will get that early light vehicle), Stuart or AT, Few rangers in between (I have like 2-3 squad), Major, jackson, jackson/howi, pershing.

Though Pershing is under-performing for its cost. Hopefully relic will buff it soon.

I do place those mines whenever possible because for this doctrine you do not have any off map artillery that means floating with munition very quickly. Biggest disadvantage of this commander over Rifle commander with easy 8 is that they do not have any counter to the LEIG and flak truck early on. White phosphorous is really good. It is a good commander for a team game I guess. Nothing special though...ain't worth a cent.
1 Nov 2015, 16:53 PM

I think Price style RE spam into M15/Stuart with Rangers coming later would work.
7 Nov 2015, 21:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I have heard good things about people who put three zooks on their Ranger squads and take out Panthers distressingly fast.

This probably works because Axis players aren't used to facing good Allied AT Infantry
7 Nov 2015, 22:21 PM

I have heard good things about people who put three zooks on their Ranger squads and take out Panthers distressingly fast.

This probably works because Axis players aren't used to facing good Allied AT Infantry
Three Bazookas being useful on a squad? This I must try.
9 Nov 2015, 09:48 AM

Its a waste of Rangers. They are really good AI infantry with thompsons + BAR. IMHO RE with zookas for support are better option.
14 Nov 2015, 15:42 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

I do not like the theory of giving USF an expensive-to-reinforce unit to complement their other expensive-to-reinforce units. At least paratroopers and pathfinders can work at range. Also, is the Thompson upgrade worth it? It seems a little iffy to take every battle as an elite from long range to short range. Besides its previously described game-breaking features, I don't like the Pershing. It loses to any german heavy tank, automatically forcing you to get extra AT. All of the other abilities seem somewhat usable but they all seemed like stuff relic shoved on board last minute so they could have their little Pershing patch. If you put zooks on Rangers, Poseidon will rise from the ocean and slay you with his mighty trident.
15 Nov 2015, 08:21 AM

I found a glitch. Fire normal shell , fire piercing shell while youre loading normal shell , after you fire piercing shell normal shell will get fired = end of Stug life
15 Nov 2015, 08:25 AM

Zooks are great , i dont know why people doesnt use them. If you go double rets and captain , all have 2 zooks , that total 6 zooks and this can destroy panzer 4 in 6 seconds (because they have only 6 second reload instaed of shreck).

They also snipe infantry as hell so they can make rets a bit more useful agains everything
15 Nov 2015, 08:26 AM
Patrion 14

btw the mine does not set up quicker even if you have more squads on it. so just use one squad per mine.
15 Nov 2015, 08:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 21:42 PMmedhood
I wanna know how everyone else uses this commander, I know its a bit too early to ask but so far I like this commander with its riflemen defenses, smoke barrage, combined arms, rangers and of course the mighty Pershing

But personally I find the Pershing under performing for its cost it has good damage and all and its range is great but its eventually gonna get into a fight and when it does it loses its health so quickly you just pull out straight away

and if you go 3 riflemen then rangers will just be an mp bleed for you its better to just call one in to replace a riflemen if you went 3 of em and this commander does have you use riflemen cause you know riflemen defenses

But thats just my opinion and Im not a good USF player nor did I use the commander much yet (but I do love it!)

What are your strategies when using it I'd like to know how other people play with this commander and how you implement rangers into your strategy (please specify which gamemode you do it in btw)

Dude you can check out my guide on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549750168
15 Nov 2015, 09:04 AM

Dude you can check out my guide on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549750168

I wasnt asking for help I just made this thread because there wasnt one like it and wanted to know how other people are viewing and using this commander
15 Nov 2015, 09:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2015, 09:04 AMmedhood

I wasnt asking for help I just made this thread because there wasnt one like it and wanted to know how other people are viewing and using this commander

And that's how i use it.I posted it because other people such as guests and users can see it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★