Login

russian armor

Sexton underperforming for cost

26 Oct 2015, 17:01 PM
Patrion 14

I have built four of these in a troll game and what I've learned so far is:

• They can't hit anything from max range.

• Their range is so small to the point I'm only inches away from being hit by a pak 88 I'm barraging.

• The coordinated fire with the valentine only makes them shoot faster and a bit more accurately. But the valentine needs to get into molotov range to get the coordinated barrage off :foreveralone:

• They take forever to vet.

Now I don't want brits to be an arty campfest with this commander. But 1 sexton should do the job of the 2 in its current form. As it is right now, it reloads pretty fast, but it's just useless against anything but static targets thanks to its scatter.

The one good thing about this commander is valentines with emergency war speed are completely hilarious. As they are allowed to crush enemy infantry and can go on a rampage making 20-30 kills doing that better than a m10 ever could.
26 Oct 2015, 17:53 PM
Donator 11

If anyone needs a buff in their indirect it would be the Brits. The Sexton is pretty bad and may be even worse than the priest (you can't decrew it). For sure a range buff would go a long way to make it better as well as a ROf adjustment would be welcome. Not sure about the damage though, it hardly does direct hits so I can't tell if it's the AOE that needs buffed or the damage. Lol someone look at the numbers
26 Oct 2015, 18:30 PM

+1 secton is rly bad atm, need a buff fix
26 Oct 2015, 18:32 PM

i agree, but on the other hand i hate artillery at all :o
26 Oct 2015, 18:56 PM

I had a game where sexton landed hit directly on my half health gren squad, only 1 entity died.

Then i wondered was it because of laughter or real damage?
26 Oct 2015, 18:59 PM

Artillery Regiment itself is pretty bad in general.
26 Oct 2015, 19:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2015, 18:59 PMF1sh
Artillery Regiment itself is pretty bad in general.

Its absolutely worst commander, which offers nothing special.

Flares useless due to fact that vanguard officier have directed recon for 40mu.

Arty is overpriced garbage, which useful only in late game and only with anvil. Should be 50 mu.

Valentine comes too late, should be 5 cp or something.

Mortar barrage outperforms sexton barrage.

Perimeter overwatch is nice ability, but compared to other British abilities... nothing too special.

I can trade all of this crap for 1 croc without hesitation.
26 Oct 2015, 19:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2015, 19:05 PMJadame!

Arty is overpriced garbage, which useful only in late game and only with anvil. Should be 50 mu.

Perimeter overwatch is nice ability, but compared to other British abilities... nothing too special.

+2

Base howitzer should be much more accurate, the shells often land outside the radius. Perimeter Overwatch is pretty useless. Very inaccurate, and the howitzer are very slow to react and fire.

Sexton should be as good, or almost as good as Priest.
26 Oct 2015, 20:34 PM

Permanently Banned
Yep need change, and valenteine have 12 popcap, wtf.
26 Oct 2015, 21:08 PM

i agree, but on the other hand i hate artillery at all :o

i hate artillery camp fests as much as anyone but artillery was an integral part of the battlefield and should be in the game. It also is absolutely necessary for when a player camps you with MG/ATG wall. Without indirect fire, support weapons would be way too dominant. The important thing is that there is counter-play available so that means you can't have laser like accuracy/too large AOE/etc but artillery needs to be relevant both for thematic game play, fun but also for varied tactics.
26 Oct 2015, 21:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2015, 19:45 PMF1sh

+2

Base howitzer should be much more accurate, the shells often land outside the radius. Perimeter Overwatch is pretty useless. Very inaccurate, and the howitzer are very slow to react and fire.

Sexton should be as good, or almost as good as Priest.

base howitzers are so bad that I called them in on that rail road building sitting above the rail on Lienne Forest 2x and not one shell hit the building. It's better to actually fire away from your target and hope that one of the scattered shots will get lucky and hit what you want....safest place to be is right on top of the flares currently.
26 Oct 2015, 21:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

The sexton really is terrible. Reminds me of how the SU-76 used to be. You might get a squad wipe at point blank range or with miracle RNG, but other than that it can't do much of anything.
26 Oct 2015, 21:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Never seen anyone use it against me xd
26 Oct 2015, 22:04 PM

Only time anyone used it vs me I one shot it with my Jagdtiger it had to get so close. :snfPeter:
26 Oct 2015, 22:12 PM

I had games where I used the Sexton effectively. And by effectively I mean I hit something once.
26 Oct 2015, 23:06 PM

Haven't posted in a while, felt like I had to chime in on this.

The Sexton is undoubtedly awful, and maybe bugged. It is easily worse than the Priest. The priest at least has the mounted .50 cal and I've seen priests kill things on direct hits and do adequate splash damage. I too have witnessed direct hits with the sexton do virtually nothing.

The entire doctrine is terrible and doctrines like these that are so bad should be fixed before any new commanders are added.

A doctrine that no one uses may as well not exist, therefore fixing such a doctrine adds as much value as releasing a new, decent doctrine. This is true, except that Relic can't sell the doctrine it fixes again.

Edit: sexton gets creeping barrage with vet, which sounds cool, but again its range is so bad and damage laughable that I'm not sure I care. Creeping Barrage in COH1 was pretty freakin cool.
27 Oct 2015, 03:00 AM

So damned worthless. The fact that the dedicated artillery doctrine isn't even good at countering enemy mortars and ISGs is hysterical.
27 Oct 2015, 04:57 AM

Agreed sexton is definitely underperforming for cost. +1
27 Oct 2015, 05:17 AM

Even British base artillery is a bit of a joke. Its accuracy is ridiculous, and I've had squads yawn when a shell landed right next to them. AOE values definitely need at least a slight increase.
28 Oct 2015, 15:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2015, 19:05 PMJadame!

even the cheapest mortar has better performance than sexton. Sexton has poor area damage multiplier and radius. Its damage itself is crap. Fantastic synerge with 5 shell, low rate of fire, short range and long cooltime. Even priest has 7 shell.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★