Login

russian armor

All Armies Should Have A "Withdraw And Refit" Function

12 Oct 2015, 09:05 AM

Pretty simple suggestion here: I'd really like it if players had the option to remove unwanted units from the battlefield and receive a small refund when they do so.

EG - I have a M3 Scout Car that's survived into the late-game and I don't want it in my army any longer. I should be have the option to order the vehicle to drive off the battlefield and then get a small refund (say 1/3 to 1/2 the original cost of the squad, perhaps provided in the form of a temporary boost in resource income). The same option should be available for infantry squads.

Lots of other RTS games have this option, usually in the form of a "disband" or "scuttle" function. The USF sort of have it in the form of the Mechanized Company's "Withdraw and Refit" ability, which provides a much larger refund (approximately 3/4 the original cost of the squad) than I'm suggesting here.
12 Oct 2015, 09:27 AM

The ability is already there so it would be easy to add.
12 Oct 2015, 09:29 AM

Awesome!
Sometimes I have an elefant on the field and I really want to get rid of it after destroying the enemy's tanks. Would be really cool to be able to react better on opponents choices :)
12 Oct 2015, 10:06 AM

I don't know why no one has ever brought this up until now. I 100% agree with this. Hell, I would even withdraw my units only for the popcap, let alone resources. +1 to you sir.
12 Oct 2015, 10:11 AM

I don't agree, except for static units like Brits emplacements, Pak43, B4 etc.

I mean, just for example. Enemy has tons of infantry but no idea why, I made a useless Panther. My misteake but no worries, I can get 70% of resources to get Brummbar, wipe his all infantry and when he gets tanks, I will simply switch again for Panther.

Yes for emplacements, no for normal units.
12 Oct 2015, 10:28 AM

I think it would make your mistakes a bit less painful if you can switch. It would probably be a good thing to give to players.
12 Oct 2015, 11:38 AM

I mean, just for example. Enemy has tons of infantry but no idea why, I made a useless Panther. My misteake but no worries, I can get 70% of resources to get Brummbar, wipe his all infantry and when he gets tanks, I will simply switch again for Panther.

this.
12 Oct 2015, 12:11 PM

Fair point. But maybe it Would add alot of dynamic to the game and change the gameplay to the good (or Bad ofc )
12 Oct 2015, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2015, 10:06 AMRMMLz
I don't know why no one has ever brought this up until now.

There was a pretty big thread about it a few months ago.

My argument against it was similar to australian magics, but I also noted the disadvantage of not knowing if your opponent still has a unit.

example: get elefant, and if you manage to destroy all the enemy vehicles, get refund and spam p4s and ostwinds, your opponent pretty much has to play like you still have an elefant somewhere until there's enough reason for him to think you refunded it.

I will say though that I do like the idea, but I feel you should get an adequately small amount of resources back given the advantages it gives, getting 75%+ back for example would be awful.
12 Oct 2015, 13:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Being able to self destruct your units would be cool. I don't like the idea of any refund though.
12 Oct 2015, 14:06 PM

There was a pretty big thread about it a few months ago.

My argument against it was similar to australian magics, but I also noted the disadvantage of not knowing if your opponent still has a unit.

example: get elefant, and if you manage to destroy all the enemy vehicles, get refund and spam p4s and ostwinds, your opponent pretty much has to play like you still have an elefant somewhere until there's enough reason for him to think you refunded it.

I will say though that I do like the idea, but I feel you should get an adequately small amount of resources back given the advantages it gives, getting 75%+ back for example would be awful.

Good point, but again as I said, I would like to have it solely for the Popcap, and maybe (just maybe) a small refund, like 20% of the whole price.
12 Oct 2015, 14:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2015, 13:45 PMRomeo
Being able to self destruct your units would be cool. I don't like the idea of any refund though.
+1
12 Oct 2015, 15:06 PM

The only example i can think of is the bunker of SC2.
For thoses who dont know or remember this, the bunker is the equivalent of the OST bunker (with no upgrade aviable), it cost 2 combat units to build and can accept 4 shooter inside. there was the option to get 100% refund. It was nerfed because there was no downside to turtle, build 1-3 bunkers, stop any attack, gather ressources, then refund everything, build more soldiers and then proceed to attack with your superior economy. The thing was nerfed later to 75% refund to give it a true cost, a nerf saluted by the community.
As i said this is only a bunker, an empty box. I cant think of a world where you can build a composition, destroy the composition of your ennemy and build a new one from the ashes to kill your ennemy again with your superior economy.
Even a simple "suicide" button makes me unconfortable (fluff wise too ^^) as when you build a unit, there is only one way for her to get out of the battlefield - by giving your opponent XP. Remember that kubelwagen that survived into the lategame? yes, it is gonna die the second it come back to the battlefield. If you withdraw it you deny the xp of such an earlygame unit
Having this option mean two things : you can make more room to other units and increase your income. Then it completly negate any bad anticipation you are making, such as building a ZIS as your opponent is just massing ostruppen.
12 Oct 2015, 16:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I don't necessarily agree with a refund, but removing a unit should certainly be something you can do, 'cause breaking your own units to free up popcap is just weird.
12 Oct 2015, 16:35 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Well you should be able to destroy / remove certain units, but getting a refund for it? That would change coh2 in a bad matter. If you build a unit, be sure why you build it, otherwise it is your own fault and you deserve to be punished for it. :-D
12 Oct 2015, 17:25 PM

I'm skeptical as to how devastating a 1/4 or 1/3 refund would actually be, but I think that, at the least, the ability to remove your units like you can in the Soviet campaign and Ardennes Assault campaign would be great.
12 Oct 2015, 18:04 PM

Pretty simple suggestion here: I'd really like it if players had the option to remove unwanted units from the battlefield and receive a small refund when they do so.

EG - I have a M3 Scout Car that's survived into the late-game and I don't want it in my army any longer. I should be have the option to order the vehicle to drive off the battlefield and then get a small refund (say 1/3 to 1/2 the original cost of the squad, perhaps provided in the form of a temporary boost in resource income). The same option should be available for infantry squads.

Lots of other RTS games have this option, usually in the form of a "disband" or "scuttle" function. The USF sort of have it in the form of the Mechanized Company's "Withdraw and Refit" ability, which provides a much larger refund (approximately 3/4 the original cost of the squad) than I'm suggesting here.

I think it should be allowed for say 1/4 to 1/2 as it would allow you to phase out units that are no longer very practical to have in your army such as paper armor M3's, M20's, Kubels, etc. Make refit bonus too big and it doesn't penalize you enough for making bad build choices but I am sure it could be done properly. It would provide a cool theme of sending your lighter troops to the rear and calling up heavier reserves now that the battle is in full swing.
12 Oct 2015, 18:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2015, 10:06 AMRMMLz
I don't know why no one has ever brought this up until now. I 100% agree with this. Hell, I would even withdraw my units only for the popcap, let alone resources. +1 to you sir.

People have brought it up lots of times, it always gets shot down though, that's why it's not brought up often. The Singleplayer campaign had the ability to "reassign" units which had the same effect except you could do it to Infantry and you got no refund for it.
13 Oct 2015, 01:09 AM

I like this idea, the resources you get back should be minimal though.
13 Oct 2015, 08:14 AM

I don't like the idea, it will just promote spam and blob with no consequences if you get counter played.

Spam T0 units into withdraw to spam T2 units into withdraw into spam t3 units etc...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★