Login

russian armor

OCF recap thoughts

PAGES (9)down
28 Sep 2015, 22:17 PM
Donator 22

This thread is to discuss OCF, how the tournament ran, and what to consider in the future.

First off, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the event a ton, and definitely felt I got my donations worth. The casting was great; I watched people I've never watched before, and the coordination + teams were really great. Things seemed to run smooth.

A few things to criticize:

1. I think 4 invites were too many. That was 1/3 of the players in the OCF tournament, and although I am generally OK with those 4 players, I don't think they were so good that we should take it for granted that they would've been fine in open quals. I mean the first seed Jesulin got knocked out almost immediately. At the same time, other great players like GIAP and Paula had to struggle through playing in horrible timezones, when they could have easily qualified for invites. I think limiting invites to 1 or 2 people if we have large future tournaments would be a good call, because it gives such a huge advantage.

2. I think banning elite troops, rifle company, and partisans throughout the tournament was unnecessary. Elite troops isn't the insanely OP doctrine it used to be, partisans got fixed, and that rifle company insane flamethrowers were fixed with the most recent patch.

3. I honestly think the Brits should've been banned from the start. I think that banning the croc and those 2 commanders were a good call, but that this faction is still pretty broken. I mean, the centaur tank was pretty ridiculous (not sure if it's op but it's strong). At the point where the brits had the least amount of time to get balanced compared to the other factions, it might have been worthwhile to leave it out.

4. I wish the discussion of bans and map selection was more open to the public. I understand why it's not (most player's don't know the game that well), but it would be nice to see more transparency.

5. Just a personal taste thing, I wish semoisky summer had been in the map pool.

Anyways, I'd like to support future large community tournaments, and would like to start discussing how we can improve from here.
28 Sep 2015, 22:22 PM

This thread is to discuss OCF, how the tournament ran, and what to consider in the future.

First off, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the event a ton, and definitely felt I got my donations worth. The casting was great; I watched people I've never watched before, and the coordination + teams were really great. Things seemed to run smooth.

A few things to criticize:

1. I think 4 invites were too many. That was 1/3 of the players in the OCF tournament, and although I am generally OK with those 4 players, I don't think they were so good that we should take it for granted that they would've been fine in open quals. I mean the first seed Jesulin got knocked out almost immediately. At the same time, other great players like GIAP and Paula had to struggle through playing in horrible timezones, when they could have easily qualified for invites. I think limiting invites to 1 or 2 people if we have large future tournaments would be a good call, because it gives such a huge advantage.

2. I think banning elite troops, rifle company, and partisans throughout the tournament was unnecessary. Elite troops isn't the insanely OP doctrine it used to be, partisans got fixed, and that rifle company insane flamethrowers were fixed with the most recent patch.

3. I honestly think the Brits should've been banned from the start. I think that banning the croc and those 2 commanders were a good call, but that this faction is still pretty broken. I mean, the comet tank was pretty ridiculous (not sure if it's op but it's strong). At the point where the brits had the least amount of time to get balanced compared to the other factions, it might have been worthwhile to leave it out.

4. I wish the discussion of bans and map selection was more open to the public. I understand why it's not (most player's don't know the game that well), but it would be nice to see more transparency.

5. Just a personal taste thing, I wish semoisky summer had been in the map pool.

Anyways, I'd like to support future large community tournaments, and would like to start discussing how we can improve from here.

+ 500
28 Sep 2015, 22:43 PM

wud be nice to see easy 8's in the next tourney they hav
28 Sep 2015, 22:46 PM

Really? The comet? If the comet is op than i dont know what qulifies as balance
28 Sep 2015, 22:48 PM

ive seen comet tanks miss their shots more often when attacking infantry but when facing armor well that's a different story
28 Sep 2015, 22:56 PM

Permanently Banned
I think he meant the centaur.

If not, then I have no clue why comet is in the list.

Other than that, +9000
28 Sep 2015, 22:59 PM

Permanently Banned
Oh I forgot, I really liked the triple caster casting in the ace game of the final between aimstrong and devm. That was really nice to have Romeo, Ciez and Ami providing us with information, was really professional and cool!
28 Sep 2015, 23:41 PM

Things that could've gone better

1) 6 rounds in one day is too many

2) Invited players is fine, but skipping 6 or 7 rounds is a bit extreme. Skipping around 3 would've been better.

3) People participating in tourney getting a vote which things are banned is BS (Soviet player voting to ban a USF commander is literally retarded)

4) At the end of the tournament both Aimstrong and DevM only lost one series. If the winner of the winners bracket takes a free win heading in to the grand finale that would be a fairer format.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That goes for the tournament itself.

Edit: had no choice i don't want to remove what is otherwise an ontopic constructive post.
-WiFiDi Director of Moderation
28 Sep 2015, 23:47 PM
Donator 22

I meant the centaur. I edited that in.
28 Sep 2015, 23:48 PM
Donator 22

I think he meant the centaur.

If not, then I have no clue why comet is in the list.

Other than that, +9000

Yes I did, I edited that in, thanks for the heads up.
29 Sep 2015, 00:17 AM
Donator 11

Why are some of you guys so negative? This was one of the better, most professionally run tournaments I've ever seen a community pull off. I mean over $10k raised, custom artwork, in-game decals, custom soundtrack, fan fiction, and some AMAZING games. What more could you possibly want from a community funded tournament?

Can't believe some people take all the good for granted and nitpick on random nonsense like twitch chat trolls. I'm sure they learned a ton from the scale and format of the tourney as well, so future ones will only be better.
29 Sep 2015, 00:49 AM

I have no complaints other than I wish it was delayed a little bit to give Relic time to fix a lot of the current issues.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS