How should cold tech be reworked?
Option Distribution Votes
18%
29%
53%
Total votes: 38
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
20 Sep 2015, 22:03 PM

Was it really necessary to remove this feature altogether from automatch (the gamemode most of us play)?

I mean this feature was one of the elements that made this game unique. It had its flaws but just removing it seems like taking the easy route to solve a problem, I dont think this is the right apporoach to balance problems - cutting down cool design elements.

I think relic should reintroduce this in a more balanced form, either trough removing the RNG factor and reworking the freeze mechanic or rework the feature completely.

I mean it was really silly. Your grens are clothed as needed, all warm and cozy running around in snow but then suddenly start freezing because a "blizzard" comes up? :snfPeter:

I was born near the Rzhev area myself actually and there was no phenomenon like this at all. We had snow storms over several hours, huge snow fall which obscured vision, which sometimes left huge amounts of snow but it was not like there were huge temperature jumps within hours, which could make you freeze in proper clothes when you were caught by it in the forest or similar.
Maybe this is a North american thing, but there was certainly nothing like this in Western Russia I can confirm from my personal experience of 10 years living there.

I would like to see the "blizzard" mechanic being reworked that way (Poll option 3), it would be realistic and more balanced.

Thoughts?

20 Sep 2015, 22:06 PM

I vote to keep it removed from automatch.
20 Sep 2015, 22:09 PM

^+1

Coldtech has always been a retarded mechanic that added nothing except for a huge annoyance that kept the players AFK near a bonfire still it was over.
20 Sep 2015, 22:39 PM

^+1

Coldtech has always been a retarded mechanic that added nothing except for a huge annoyance that kept the players AFK near a bonfire still it was over.

Have you even read my post before replying? I said the freeze mechanic and rng factor should be reworked. Cold tech itself is a good idea, it was just poorly implemented.
20 Sep 2015, 22:40 PM

How about you have an checkbox "Coldtech Enabled?" in the automatch menu. I liked blizzards and freezing, but deep snow is hell.
20 Sep 2015, 22:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 22:39 PMFoxbat

Have you even read my post before replying? I said the freeze mechanic and rng factor should be reworked. Cold tech itself is a good idea, it was just poorly implemented.

And it still would be an annoying mechanic that people would AFK out, except that with your proposal only armies composed of long-range damage (tank destroyers, LMGs,snipers,AT guns etc) would AFK while armies that work on mid-short ranges (mediums, shocks,cons etc) would have get a huge advantage for no reason at all.

Blizzards have always been stupid and there's no way to balance them, unless they happen just as an aesthetic thing that re-freezes broken ice and such.
20 Sep 2015, 23:05 PM

And it still would be an annoying mechanic that people would AFK out, except that with your proposal only armies composed of long-range damage (tank destroyers, LMGs,snipers,AT guns etc) would AFK while armies that work on mid-short ranges (mediums, shocks,cons etc) would have get a huge advantage for no reason at all.

Blizzards have always been stupid and there's no way to balance them, unless they happen just as an aesthetic thing that re-freezes broken ice and such.

why whould you have to AFK if you dont have a freeze mechanic anymore? :romeoHype:

just add snowfall which creates a big LOS reduction, would add an additional tactial layer like ambushing someone or even surprising encounters e.g. units bumping into each other.

I mean this game is inspired by band of brothers among others. Wasnt there an episode exactly like this? :megusta:
20 Sep 2015, 23:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It was fine as it was

Maybe make it work like WP where Cold wounds but doesn't actually kill
20 Sep 2015, 23:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 23:05 PMFoxbat
I mean this game is inspired by band of brothers among others. Wasnt there an episode exactly like this? :megusta:

There that part where 2 soldiers are trying to find another unit and fall into a German trench buried in the snow.

Link here because hotlinking is disabled by the owner?

With Cold Immunity like that, he was clearly a Volksgrenadier :p
20 Sep 2015, 23:58 PM

I dont think Relic should waste their time and money on reworking cold tech. Atleast people that liked having their frames raped by the snow can still play it in customs.

But if they reworked cold tech, removing its RNG bullshit would be a real good start.
21 Sep 2015, 00:21 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 22:03 PMFoxbat

I was born near the Rzhev area myself actually and there was no phenomenon like this at all. We had snow storms over several hours, huge snow fall which obscured vision, which sometimes left huge amounts of snow but it was not like there were huge temperature jumps within hours, which could make you freeze in proper clothes when you were caught by it in the forest or similar.
Maybe this is a North american thing, but there was certainly nothing like this in Western Russia I can confirm from my personal experience of 10 years living there.

Thing with this is,the cold in this game is modeled after the historically,stupidly,insanely, cold winter of 1941. Thats why its so drastic.

I think cold tech should stay on maps like Rzhev,Moscow,etc,to fit the theme of the map/game.

But maps like lierneux, lanzerath,shouldnt have this insane cold at all,and if they do,just make it debuff style" with no deaths,just reduced combat effectiveness.
21 Sep 2015, 00:29 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

keep it out of automatch
21 Sep 2015, 03:30 AM

I vote ot keep it out of automatch, if you want to play the game for "Immersion you cna play with it in custom games. For E-Sports we don't need unfair weather gimmicks to mess with.
21 Sep 2015, 03:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Thing with this is,the cold in this game is modeled after the historically,stupidly,insanely, cold winter of 1941. Thats why its so drastic.

I think cold tech should stay on maps like Rzhev,Moscow,etc,to fit the theme of the map/game.

But maps like lierneux, lanzerath,shouldnt have this insane cold at all,and if they do,just make it debuff style" with no deaths,just reduced combat effectiveness.

Have any Western Maps every had blizzards?
21 Sep 2015, 04:27 AM

Keep it removed, remove deep snow.
21 Sep 2015, 05:01 AM

If so, then why don't all of the Soviets have default cold immunity, instead of the western front Germans? Why can sturmpios move at regular speed instead of the Soviets? There is nothing "historical" about this shit. It's about as "historical" as US ground troops getting regularly strafed by the Luftwaffe. /endrant

Cold tech could have been okay, but troops freezing in cold weather is not only unrealistic, it doesn't add anything to the game besides a load on the GPU. Had they just had it affect visibility, mobility, and troop reaction time, it could have been okay.
21 Sep 2015, 05:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 22:03 PMFoxbat

I mean it was really silly. Your grens are clothed as needed, all warm and cozy running around in snow but then suddenly start freezing because a "blizzard" comes up? :snfPeter:

There is nothing like that here either. It normally gets warmer when it snows, at least temporarily.

This is just another case of Relic being sloppy, just like they were with who it was that had difficulty during the winter.
21 Sep 2015, 09:03 AM

It was fine as it was, and made the game smarter.
21 Sep 2015, 09:18 AM

Permanently Banned
Lol they removed deep snow because it was pure **** and now you people are voting massively to get it back.

This community makes no sense :foreveralone:
21 Sep 2015, 10:06 AM
Donator 11

Does the removal of coldtech affect the ice refreezing mechanic after its been broken?
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★