Login

russian armor

Grenadier Weapon Upgrades

17 Sep 2015, 04:59 AM

Permanently Banned
Hello, ever since reading a post of why weapon upgrades should diversify a unit instead of merely being a brainless upgrade, I thought to throw out some ideas for the weapon upgrades for Grenadiers to change them up a bit since they are so very potent at Veterancy 3 with a MG42 or G43's (though a far lesser extent for G43's respectively.)

For G43's:
Give one G43, sniping models below 80% HP (OKW style), but reducing the squads close to mid range DPS. Enemies sniped by G43 are automatically wounded which would give the G43 more utility and the ability interrogation would find a nice place and use. Note: Possibly even combine stun grenades and G43's into a single package.

This would give a G43 equipped Grenadier squad different role, becoming a unit you want to be supporting others by sniping low HP squads to not only inflict bleed but to gain Intel of enemy positions. The reduce DPS would mean they would become a more support oriented squad but having more utility than a vanilla Grenadier squad.

Same applies to Panzergrenadiers as this would actually be a decent upgrade along with panzerschrecks. You have the schrecks for anti-tank but the G43 can provide a small anti-infantry role with regards to sniping enemy models and gaining Intel. Of course the PG's would have further reduce overall anti-infantry DPS.

For MG42s:
This I struggled a bit to decide upon considering MG42 Grenadiers are simply horrifying in damage output but how could you adjust them without making them worthless? We wouldn't want to make the MG42 upgrade a downgrade similar to the Ppshh SMG for Conscripts currently is.

Reduce movement speed in combat similar to Royal Engineers (Sappers). Before you call me as smart as a potato, hear me out. The concept of gaining a MG42 is to make your Grenadiers more lethal at mid to long range at the cost of mobility. Thus not being able to move and fire. While this is fine and dandy, no one can deny that small penalty doesn't offset the damage output of a MG42. By making them slow in combat this would put them in a similar position of Infantry Sections. They can do great in a holding a position down however at the cost of being poor in dodging, withdrawing, or assaulting enemy positions. This would create a decision by the OST player of either keeping his KAR 98 Grenadier squad for mobility and thus survibility or a MG42 for firepower in return of mobility.

You would have to think of position a great deal more since your Grenadiers would be more vulnerable to getting charged, flanked, and area of effects weapons. It be more taxing and rewarding for the OST player as well as it requires more forethought.

For a less controversial suggestion, have a setup time but no de-set up time or no set up time but a de-set up time similar to the OKW Flak Half-track. (Two seconds or so)

This is the same vein of reducing mobility. You would still have some mobility but you would have a few seconds of vulnerability. This would go hand in hand of being a defensive weapon as well as attacking would lead a few more seconds of fire or being somewhat defenseless. I couldn't decide upon which. The first of setting up would mean your enemy has a reaction time to either rush, pull back, or some type of response. After all, you have the advantage of engaging as soon you spot them. On the other, by having a small time to de-set up you would more vulnerable to flanks, assaulting infantry, or grenades and such.

Hope these suggestions aren't too crazy and thank you for your time for reading and responding.

TL;DR Turn the G43 in OKW version yet wounds instead of kills for utility.
MG42 either slows Grenadiers in combat or has a small setup or de-setup time.
To try and make the upgrades choices instead of just brainless ones.
(Thanks for the tip RMM.)
17 Sep 2015, 05:27 AM

First of all, create a TL; DR version. I read it but you always need a TL; DR version for a wall of text.

Second, Grens are in a good spot (except the unwanted buff which will be fixed). Forcing players to use cover is already not a very good idea (look at ISs). Heavy REs are also useless to some extent since they get shredded by a single mortar and have to insta-retreat when you throw a grenade. They also lose their ability to fire on the move.

IMO Grens are fine. Other main line infantry need to scale better. Don't fix what ain't broken.
17 Sep 2015, 05:54 AM

Cool ideas! I like the G43 idea since I get confused as to whether I should get an mg42 or g43s on grens. The change in role for g43 grens would make the decision a lot clearer.

I'm torn on the mobility reduction for the MG42. At this point I just feel like LMGs shouldn't be a thing or at least should be more rare, IDK.
17 Sep 2015, 06:04 AM

I'm eh on these ideas, I don't think I'd use either one, the negative impacts outweigh the benefits and I'd be better off using Panzergrenadiers. It'd also be really unfair for such things to only apply to Grenadiers.

As for LMG's, it'd be neat if they could make it so that behavior changed based on the situation. So an LMG 42 Grenadier would have 2 fire modes, one active at a time depending on the situation:

Prone: Active when still and distant from the enemy and is effective at mid to max range. There is a very short set-up time (1-2 seconds) and a decent arc. If the soldier has to preposition, he can simply turn in place although this takes a couple seconds as well.

Standing: Active when moving or in close proximity to the enemy. Sturmfeuer is inaccurate and wasteful, so many shots are fired but few hit. On the plus side there is no set-up, the soldier can track or switch targets more easily.

Although I used LMG Grenadiers as an example, this would also apply to the Bren Gun, DP-28, MG 34 M1919, Vickers K. The BAR is not included because it is more closely related to the FG 42 and StG.
17 Sep 2015, 08:25 AM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS