Login

russian armor

Anyone else annoyed by the day 1 DLC within DLC?

27 Aug 2015, 23:42 PM

The news that three of the six British commanders being day one DLC was not much of a shock knowing Relic.

But it still smells of disgusting business practice, if relic were desperate for money that bad they should have upped the price by an extra few euros. Rather than separating half of the commander content (That means units like the para air landing officer, Churchill crocodile, Airlanding glider and para medics and a hefty amount of abilities are effectively locked behind a paywall) making people hate their guts and open CoH2 up to the P2W argument again.

Relic are borderline on EA tier DLC milking as it stands, the worst part is they seem ignorant of the problem. Instead offering the likes of the broken war spoils system in an attempt to groom the playerbase to frustrate them and buy yet more DLC that should have came included with the faction.
27 Aug 2015, 23:53 PM

No gamer likes this and I'm sure game designers also don't like this. But if this is needed so we have further support and content I am willing to pay in order to keep relic in business. Too many beloved franchises and games died because there was no profit from them.

In addition you can still wait for the warspoils lotto, which will be someday hopefully improved (relic pls)
28 Aug 2015, 00:15 AM

I'm surprised they don't sell bulletins in their store tbh. I really dislike the practice too but like the other poster said: Its probably a practice forced on them by corporate rather than the devs voluntarily doing it.
28 Aug 2015, 00:38 AM

I was disappointed because each commander was shown to be unique in the Know Your Commanders post, and then "actually, you can't use this, and this, and this, if you 'just' buy the UKF". It's not so bad with Wehrmacht and Soviets as a lot of commanders tend to be useless remixes. I can only hope they go on a very big sale on the first few days, like with the panzergrau and forest skins.

DLC for DLC. I still haven't been able to use the WC51 car, so I can hardly count on War Spoils.
28 Aug 2015, 00:46 AM

I feel fine with all the DLC. It creates the funding needed to support the game for a longer time. I don't understand why people aren't taking into consideration that the Developers aren't modders. It's a paying job to support themselves and their families in an expensive city like Vancouver. The money to provide their upkeep has to come from somewhere.

It's not like the Relic Team are doing this for free and Sega pockets all the money. Every balance update, every maintenance session and every single staff member must be paid for (Full time hours, benefits, insurance...). There's only so much you can do with only one flow of income (Full game sales). Hence why DLC income helps extend the life of the game and the Relic staff's careers.

I'm more than happy to help support the talented team that made this game without having to buy multiple copies of the game. :P
28 Aug 2015, 00:57 AM

The 3 extra commanders by themselves are more expensive than the Faction DLC, so my plan is to play the shit out of the brits and maybe be lucky for the commanders's drop via warspoils, if not, wait for them to get cheaper.

The tricky part is getting the skins, I really hope there's gonna be a cheap bundle of them on launch ( At least 1 , pls Relic :foreveralone: )
28 Aug 2015, 01:04 AM

I am annoyed by DLC in general if they affect gameplay in one way or another. Its just scam.

Nevertheless, possibility to buy good commander straight away is better than desperately praying to RNG god to get em with drops like it was with WFA launch. But why we should choice between worst and bad option is another question.

28 Aug 2015, 02:09 AM
Senior Editor Badge

War Spoils could be so much better if:

Some bulletins would be unlocked by achievements (how it was prior to WFA) and some would be drop-only.

With commanders, they could make it so when the player is awarded a commander, they get to choose which commander. They could have the drops split so the player would get an uncommon commander drop, a rare commander drop, then a premium commander drop.
The probabilities would of course be split so premium would be least likely, but at least the player has some resemblance of a choice.

Hell, they could even just split it up between axis and allied commanders.
28 Aug 2015, 04:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 23:42 PMRollo
The news that three of the six British commanders being day one DLC was not much of a shock knowing Relic.

But it still smells of disgusting business practice, if relic were desperate for money that bad they should have upped the price by an extra few euros. Rather than separating half of the commander content (That means units like the para air landing officer, Churchill crocodile, Airlanding glider and para medics and a hefty amount of abilities are effectively locked behind a paywall) making people hate their guts and open CoH2 up to the P2W argument again.

Relic are borderline on EA tier DLC milking as it stands, the worst part is they seem ignorant of the problem. Instead offering the likes of the broken war spoils system in an attempt to groom the playerbase to frustrate them and buy yet more DLC that should have came included with the faction.

Its actually worse than EA. I got BF4 when it was selling full price and recently bought the premium season pass for $40. That is all DLC for the game, except for buying the shortcut to unlock all gadgets (which isn't really content so it doesn't count). Got everything BF4 had to offer for $100 total. I got the CoH2 digital CE for $100, the WFA for $15, a few extra commanders for ~$10 and I still don't have any WFA tank skins or most of the DLC commanders, and now here comes another faction. I'm not going to complain about them charging for new campaigns and theater content because extra work clearly went in to that. But if you buy the core game and a new faction you should definitely get all commanders and I would like to see the skins be more attainable because I haven't gotten any for WFA in war spoils yet.

I feel fine with all the DLC. It creates the funding needed to support the game for a longer time. I don't understand why people aren't taking into consideration that the Developers aren't modders. It's a paying job to support themselves and their families in an expensive city like Vancouver. The money to provide their upkeep has to come from somewhere.

It's not like the Relic Team are doing this for free and Sega pockets all the money. Every balance update, every maintenance session and every single staff member must be paid for (Full time hours, benefits, insurance...). There's only so much you can do with only one flow of income (Full game sales). Hence why DLC income helps extend the life of the game and the Relic staff's careers.

I'm more than happy to help support the talented team that made this game without having to buy multiple copies of the game. :P

If they made the DLC a few dollars more and included all commanders and skins that would be more acceptable. Milking microtransactions from a non f2p the way they currently are is wrong.

28 Aug 2015, 05:02 AM
Patrion 15

I think Relic kinda missed the boat on their war spoils rework. At the moment its still a half baked system that basically forces people into buying their content if they want any reliable way of attaining the content they want.

Relic could easily shed the "P2W" label with a functioning warspoils system that would allow players to systematically earn some sort of currency to purchase content through gameplay hours, or at the very least allow the trading of duplicates. I wrote an article on warspoils just over a month after it was released, and over a year later ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I wouldn't have much of an issue with this if the day 1 DLC were purely cosmetic items. The fact that commanders that directly effect multiplayer gameplay are being sold from the store on day one, with no other reliable means of acquiring them makes the practice seem lazy and money grubbing.
28 Aug 2015, 05:33 AM
Patrion 14

Its actually worse than EA. I got BF4 when it was selling full price and recently bought the premium season pass for $40. That is all DLC for the game, except for buying the shortcut to unlock all gadgets (which isn't really content so it doesn't count). Got everything BF4 had to offer for $100 total. I got the CoH2 digital CE for $100, the WFA for $15, a few extra commanders for ~$10 and I still don't have any WFA tank skins or most of the DLC commanders, and now here comes another faction. I'm not going to complain about them charging for new campaigns and theater content because extra work clearly went in to that. But if you buy the core game and a new faction you should definitely get all commanders and I would like to see the skins be more attainable because I haven't gotten any for WFA in war spoils yet.

If they made the DLC a few dollars more and included all commanders and skins that would be more acceptable. Milking microtransactions from a non f2p the way they currently are is wrong.

to be fair, BF is bi-annual $100.

and to be fair, BF lost its way a looooong time ago.
28 Aug 2015, 05:53 AM

It's a trend in the gaming industry unfortunately. Much like these alpha "early releases" which companies use to grab quick cash and let the community do half the work.

And to clarify, it's not Relic's decision or fault. It lies on the publisher Sega. They did the exact same with TWRII. Despite popular belief, developers DO care about their games and are passionate about them and DO want them to be the best they can be. But marketing and PR BS comes from the top which is Sega.
28 Aug 2015, 06:06 AM
Patrion 14

I really don't care. All my activities and hobbies have running expenses. So far, CoH has been the cheapest of all by far. As long as they keep improving the game, I will gladly cough up the dough.
28 Aug 2015, 06:09 AM

I am, I was in WFA when they started charging for the commanders when before they were only free dropables. They made the commanders for the British faction while making the British, I paid for them - now why do I only have half of the commanders that were advised to me?!?
28 Aug 2015, 06:26 AM

28 Aug 2015, 07:43 AM

I do not mind giving a few extra dollars for commanders..
If the game is in a good state (which it is for me at this moment), I gladly pay something to support the devs.

Also, the extra commaders are not necessary to play the game, they are extra. Cool extras yes, but not necessary to play the game. Therefore, in this time with steam having a LOT of DLC for every game, it is completely normal to have some extra DLC.

Get used to is man, every freakin' game has it now. And for me (if the game is in a good state), I find it a good thing to have DLC. It makes the game refreshing.
28 Aug 2015, 07:46 AM
Donator 11

microtransactions dont belong in a full price game, but to be honest, it doesnt really annoy me, im just gonna farm the helll out of UKF with my script and will have all commanders soon
28 Aug 2015, 07:55 AM

We need a Deluxe edition for $15!

Pay what you want to pay for. for a whole new multiplayer faction i consider the British forces DLC on the cheap side!

Commanders are always optional. Pretty much all core factions have everything necessary to win even high level games (except perhaps russians who need guards/shocks)
28 Aug 2015, 08:03 AM

Relic needs to pay their employees. SEGA needs to pay their employees. Relic needs to make money. SEGA needs to make money. I need money, you need money. Everybody needs money.

You have to pay for products, if the price is too high you don't buy it or buy something else.

You can also rant on the internet... and buy it. Or you rant on the internet and you buy it anyways.
28 Aug 2015, 08:07 AM

To be fair, brits are not new game, but a DLC itself, so day 1 dlc term in this case is wrong.

If anything, its a DLC expanding DLC.

But hey, at least you're not forced to buy stuff you won't be using, if it was a SC2, you'd have to pay for "expansion" to get 1-2 new units and update for all factions as well as full campaign at the price of a new release game even though you only ever played Terran in multiplayer.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS