Login

russian armor

More durability for light tanks

14 Aug 2015, 18:19 PM

Luchs, Scott, T70, Stuart, etc. They have some good killing potential, but need to stand up slightly better to AT imo. Gettin two shotted by Zis and Paks is a bit too harsh, they should survive just a little bit longer so that they have maybe 10-20% hp left after a second hit. If you drive in to an AT guns arc at all it is usually dead unless you were driving across it at full speed, because even with instant reaction to seeing it, it can get off two shots before you can change direction or drive through it a lot of the times. Basically it should take a little bit more active effort to kill them, right now the burden falls more on the person trying to keep it alive because they die as quickly as infantry died to FHT during the beta glory days.

For when they hit the field the super early game vehicles (Kubel, M3, etc) have a similar life expectancy if not better. Of course you can keep them alive a very long time if you only passively use them to target the solo squads that are trying to back cap you, but using them in flanking timing pushes is almost too high risk, because one surprise ATG in a place you weren't expecting it will get off the second shot more often than not even when you immediately react to it.

Not saying that overall they are underpowered because some of them (Quad, T70, Luchs) are way too efficient at just driving on a capping squad and killing it 90% of the time in retreat, but thats another topic and I'll address that later.
14 Aug 2015, 18:34 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Luchs, Scott, T70, Stuart, etc. They have some good killing potential, but need to stand up slightly better to AT imo. Gettin two shotted by Zis and Paks is a bit too harsh, they should survive just a little bit longer so that they have maybe 10-20% hp left after a second hit. If you drive in to an AT guns arc at all it is usually dead unless you were driving across it at full speed, because even with instant reaction to seeing it, it can get off two shots before you can change direction or drive through it a lot of the times. Basically it should take a little bit more active effort to kill them, right now the burden falls more on the person trying to keep it alive because they die as quickly as infantry died to FHT during the beta glory days.

For when they hit the field the super early game vehicles (Kubel, M3, etc) have a similar life expectancy if not better. Of course you can keep them alive a very long time if you only passively use them to target the solo squads that are trying to back cap you, but using them in flanking timing pushes is almost too high risk, because one surprise ATG in a place you weren't expecting it will get off the second shot more often than not even when you immediately react to it.

Not saying that overall they are underpowered because some of them (Quad, T70, Luchs) are way too efficient at just driving on a capping squad and killing it 90% of the time in retreat, but thats another topic and I'll address that later.

luchs(400 hp),t70(self repair),and stuart(400 hp) can all survive at least 2 pak shots

I dont think they should be able to survive 3,thats way too survivable

And other lights have survivability mechanisms

QUad with blitz and small target size
M20 with smoke
USF AA HT, :foreveralone:
okw flak,smoke
puma,smoke

14 Aug 2015, 18:53 PM

If so, how about poor 222 ? :foreveralone:
14 Aug 2015, 18:56 PM

I think all light vehicles are alright where they are right now, but I'd like the 222 armor to be buffed. Its frontal armor shouldn't be able to be damaged by small arms fire.
14 Aug 2015, 20:49 PM

I dont think they should be able to survive 3,thats way too survivable

And other lights have survivability mechanisms

QUad with blitz and small target size
M20 with smoke
USF AA HT, :foreveralone:
okw flak,smoke
puma,smoke

I agree with not surviving 3 shots but I had a 100% completely unscratched T70 get two shotted by a Raketen in a building last night. I've also seen Luchs go down to 2 hits as well, can't remember whether it was 57mm or Zis but I've definitely killed them with 2 shots before. Definitely killed Scotts w/ 2 shots before as well. Can't remember any specific instances where I killed or lost a Stuart with 2 hits but they don't feel any less squishy. And the survival mechanisms isn't really a good justifications for making them so delicate because it discourages really aggressive attacks. Making a large attack with 5-6 units at a time with a flanking light vehicle should be encouraged, and your light vehicle doesn't deserve to die absurdly fast just because you were using grenades and stuff on your infantry units and don't have the extra munitions.

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 18:56 PMF1sh
I think all light vehicles are alright where they are right now, but I'd like the 222 armor to be buffed. Its frontal armor shouldn't be able to be damaged by small arms fire.

Even though 222 is delicate losing it isn't as devastating because for one thing it comes a couple minutes earlier than those light tanks, also it is in T2 which you were likely making regardless for Panzergrens and Paks. If you make T3 specifically for light armor and it dies in 4 seconds to one AT gun, you are completely fucked almost every time if it happened in a 1v1.
14 Aug 2015, 21:12 PM

I'm fine with the healthpool of light tanks as it is.

Light tanks (Luchs, Stuart) get 3 shotted, medium tanks get 4 shotted. You can't give them more health without classifying them as medium tanks as well.

I've also seen Luchs go down to 2 hits as well, can't remember whether it was 57mm or Zis but I've definitely killed them with 2 shots before.

That never happened, not without mark target.

Scotts shouldn't have 320+ HP, because you can treat them like mortars and can be protected by shotblockers.
14 Aug 2015, 22:26 PM

Light tanks (Luchs, Stuart) get 3 shotted, medium tanks get 4 shotted. You can't give them more health without classifying them as medium tanks as well.

That never happened, not without mark target.

You're saying that under the assumption that they are all frontal armor shots. Driving straight in to an area where you suspect there is an ATG is never advisable. By the time the AT gun takes the 1st shot and reveals itself you won't be on the outer limits of its range arc, so if you were traveling fast and have to slow down and start accelerating backwards, there is a chance you might take 3 hits that way. So instead of reversing out you could try and keep your momentum going and get behind the ATG before it can take the 3rd shot. Well that works if the ATG is completely undefended, if there is any faust or Shrek unit nearby you just drove right at it...dead.

The smartest way to use your delicate vehicles is to drive them in vectors that are almost perpendicular to the direction you expect an AT gun would be facing. This way you are keeping your momentum going if you take a shot and you can drive out of the arc quickly as possible without driving straight towards the bulk of supporting units that will be near the AT gun. The only thing is if one shot hits rear armor (very likely to happen in this scenario), it dies in 2 hits. Idk the exact numbers but in vcoh there was some parity (if not identical) between light vehicle frontal and rear armor. You could avoid AT guns the way I mentioned and it wasn't a death sentence if you got hit both times, but you would have very little health left. Repair and fight another day.

Right now light armor, particularly Quads, T70s, and Panzer IIs are used as high probability squad wipe units on capping enemy infantry, which doesn't really make for great gameplay. They are much more interesting when used to force a retreat (not usually killing) capping units, or being part of a large flank. Right now its too high risk for a simultaneous rush, you need to take out AT first then proceed to annihilate several units very quickly. Meh.
14 Aug 2015, 23:52 PM

You're saying that under the assumption that they are all frontal armor shots. Driving straight in to an area where you suspect there is an ATG is never advisable. By the time the AT gun takes the 1st shot and reveals itself you won't be on the outer limits of its range arc, so if you were traveling fast and have to slow down and start accelerating backwards, there is a chance you might take 3 hits that way. So instead of reversing out you could try and keep your momentum going and get behind the ATG before it can take the 3rd shot. Well that works if the ATG is completely undefended, if there is any faust or Shrek unit nearby you just drove right at it...dead.

You're saying that like it's a bad thing. Driving with a "delicate vehicle" blindly into its intended hardcounter and getting punished for it sounds perfectly okay.

It doesn't matter if your light/medium tanks get shot in the front or back by paks - the damage is the same and deflection chance is totally negligible. Driving backwards is also the same speed as forward.

As you noticed, tank combat in general is much more deadlier than in CoH1, with long range AT and very squadwipe-y AI. You either like it or not.
14 Aug 2015, 23:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Just micro better
15 Aug 2015, 00:45 AM

You're saying that like it's a bad thing. Driving with a "delicate vehicle" blindly into its intended hardcounter and getting punished for it sounds perfectly okay.

It doesn't matter if your light/medium tanks get shot in the front or back by paks - the damage is the same and deflection chance is totally negligible. Driving backwards is also the same speed as forward.

As you noticed, tank combat in general is much more deadlier than in CoH1, with long range AT and very squadwipe-y AI. You either like it or not.

Well either rear armor does matter or you are wrong when you said 2 shots won't ever kill a full health tank I have it recorded this isn't anecdotal stories. And no obviously you don't intentionally drive your light armor in to the arc, but unless you are maphacking you don't know where the AT guns are always so you move around in a way that lets you escape if you find one. Driving in to one ATG arc does not warrant losing a 100% hp light tank in 4 seconds.

Just micro better

Just learn advanced tactics.

15 Aug 2015, 01:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Driving in to one ATG arc does not warrant losing a 100% hp light tank in 4 seconds.

None of the light tanks necessarily die to two shots of any regular anti tank weapon (i.e. Pak 40, Zis, Raketenwerfer). These do 160 damage per shot, and the Stuart and Luchs have 400. There is no situation whatsoever where they can get two shotted by these, save Mark Target. Several patches ago you could do it with AT gun + For Mother Russia, but now team weapons don't get a damage boost on activation of ability so that isn't even possible now.

T70 can get two shotted, since it has 320HP, but it also has a self repair ability that works on the move. In other words, you charge in with your light tank blindly, which you shouldn't do in the first place, take a hit, hit the self repair button in the 3 seconds before the next shot, and you will survive the next hit, absolutely guaranteed.
15 Aug 2015, 01:17 AM

Well either rear armor does matter or you are wrong when you said 2 shots won't ever kill a full health tank I have it recorded this isn't anecdotal stories. And no obviously you don't intentionally drive your light armor in to the arc, but unless you are maphacking you don't know where the AT guns are always so you move around in a way that lets you escape if you find one. Driving in to one ATG arc does not warrant losing a 100% hp light tank in 4 seconds.

Mate scout ahead. every faction has options for that with the wfa armies having the most options.
But even if you dont have that optionjust send your infantry in first. if you are not certain keep your light tank back and use it to squash any harassment capping or use it in support of a counter attack.
15 Aug 2015, 01:18 AM

Permanently Banned

Does "advance tactics" include asking for unneeded buffs?
15 Aug 2015, 01:29 AM

Permanently Banned
More often than not my Stuarts and Luchs escape from AT guns in this patch due to the AT gun missing one of the 3 shots it would need to hit, particularly when the vehicle is moving full speed.
15 Aug 2015, 01:30 AM

Does "advance tactics" include asking for unneeded buffs?

I work smarter, since your response to a explanation of a common sense (at least for better players) tactic to survive AT guns was to "micro better" you seem like the word harder type. Have fun in a dead end retail career then I guess.

T70 can get two shotted, since it has 320HP, but it also has a self repair ability that works on the move. In other words, you charge in with your light tank blindly, which you shouldn't do in the first place, take a hit, hit the self repair button in the 3 seconds before the next shot, and you will survive the next hit, absolutely guaranteed.

And the survival mechanisms isn't really a good justifications for making them so delicate because it discourages really aggressive attacks. Making a large attack with 5-6 units at a time with a flanking light vehicle should be encouraged, and your light vehicle doesn't deserve to die absurdly fast just because you were using grenades and stuff on your infantry units and don't have the extra munitions.

15 Aug 2015, 01:58 AM

Permanently Banned

I work smarter, since your response to a explanation of a common sense (at least for better players) tactic to survive AT guns was to "micro better" you seem like the word harder type. Have fun in a dead end retail career then I guess.

You seem to get riled up over a PC game, but that's cool.

Micro better. Letting an AT gun get 3 shots off is a positioning/planning issue.
aaa
15 Aug 2015, 02:14 AM

remove engine dmg from both light tanks. Keep rest as is
15 Aug 2015, 02:16 AM

You seem to get riled up over a PC game, but that's cool.

Micro better. Letting an AT gun get 3 shots off is a positioning/planning issue.

I said 2 shots. Your replies are a reading comprehension issue.
15 Aug 2015, 02:41 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

High risk, high reward. As simple as that. If you know you can't micro those units, just go for the more "safe" medium tanks.

If someone has position well their AT guns in advance, good for them. You have at least +9s to make it out of an AT gun range. More if the AT gun misses any of it's shots.
15 Aug 2015, 02:58 AM
Patrion 28

High risk, high reward. As simple as that. If you know you can't micro those units, just go for the more "safe" medium tanks.

If someone has position well their AT guns in advance, good for them. You have at least +9s to make it out of an AT gun range. More if the AT gun misses any of it's shots.

usually more like 4 since they don't usually start on cooldown.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★