Login

russian armor

New sturm tad too silly

24 Jul 2015, 02:44 AM

I love the new sturmtiger, i really do. Its absolutely fantastic at what it does, and it finally feels like its impact matches its explosions. Before units would be at the edge and do nothing, now you're a walking nuke launcher. Problem is, given its the fact it can fire through/over objects, it's now imo the best unit in the game at causing instantaneous and completely unavoidable wipes. If you hide it right, the enemy has literally nothing to do except watch their army die.

I think its damage, range, and aoe are fine. But it should require actual clear sight of the unit. Its rocket shouldn't go through objects. It should function similar to the stuka, exploding if too close.

As of right now its way, way too easy to cause mass uncounterable wipes, which isn't healthy for the game.
24 Jul 2015, 02:56 AM

The entire point is it can shot through shotblockers, also the shell won't work even with line of site without the ability to hit through shotblockers.
24 Jul 2015, 03:00 AM

Its shooting a rocket, not a shell, it makes no sense to fire through objects.

Small houses and bushes? Sure it can fire over. Large buildings and giant forests? It should detonate

Being able to fire through large objects lets you place the sturmtiger in positions that are extremely hard to react to with its appropriate counters (other tanks/TDs). As well, if the shell goes off, its almost 100% death for the squad it fired at.

The sturmtiger shouldn't be able to wipe infantry (and so much at that) so easily while being able to avoid its counters at the same time. It should be vulnerable given the damage it dishes out
24 Jul 2015, 03:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2015, 03:00 AMDraje
Its shooting a rocket, not a shell, it makes no sense to fire through objects.

Small houses and bushes? Sure it can fire over. Large buildings and giant forests? It should detonate

Being able to fire through large objects lets you place the sturmtiger in positions that are extremely hard to react to with its appropriate counters (other tanks/TDs). As well, if the shell goes off, its almost 100% death for the squad it fired at.

The sturmtiger shouldn't be able to wipe infantry (and so much at that) so easily while being able to avoid its counters at the same time. It should be vulnerable given the damage it dishes out

In a perfect world that would be the case, but for some reason relic can't code it to detonate upon hitting large houses and such, without also detonating on small shrubs and fence posts.
24 Jul 2015, 03:06 AM

The problem before was that the Sturmtiger's shell would collide with small fences, trees, buildings, the ground, etc and detonate prematurely. This lead to the Sturmtiger being seen as useless because half the time, it wouldn't hit what it was aimed at. Worse, it had a tendency to wipe out it's own spotters who were infront of it giving LOS on the target. They made it ignore blockers for a reason.
24 Jul 2015, 03:07 AM

If it keeps ignoring objects it needs to lose the far aoe damage buff.

As well they have 2 different units that change with different height objects, USF mortar tank and the leig support gun. The sturm could act the same way possibly, giving more time for the player to react if fired from such a safe position
24 Jul 2015, 03:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2015, 03:07 AMDraje
If it keeps ignoring objects it needs to lose the far aoe damage buff.

As well they have 2 different units that change with different height objects, USF mortar tank and the leig support gun. The sturm could act the same way possibly, giving more time for the player to react if fired from such a safe position

strum already only fires 1 shots per 2min at least why u want it become more useless? it is a very huge invest in game, while it a unit that is out of combat most time. it better be useful.
24 Jul 2015, 03:21 AM

strum already only fires 1 shots per 2min at least why u want it become more useless? it is a very huge invest in game, while it a unit that is out of combat most time. it better be useful.

Its reload time is 50 seconds, and if used properly can guarantee 1-2 wipes every time its fired. Its not that its doing something its not supposed to, its doing it to effectively while being too safe. Either it should have to put itself out there to do as much damage as it does, or it needs its aoe reduced

Right now its on the opposite side of the spectrum as useless
24 Jul 2015, 03:22 AM
Patrion 28

it's a shitily designed unit. i suppose they could make it cost munitions to fire. really fucking hard to balance the stiger though as it's basically a unit that fires a global.
24 Jul 2015, 03:27 AM

it's a shitily designed unit. i suppose they could make it cost munitions to fire. really fucking hard to balance the stiger though as it's basically a unit that fires a global.

Its because of how extreme its stats are. 1 minute fire time, low mobility, but completely destroys what it hits. So bipolar its hard to balance. It needs a clear weakness given its strengths, but right now you can simply ignore them by placing it behind large structures/forests and supporting it with mines/reketens
24 Jul 2015, 03:39 AM

This. It shouldn't have made it past the sitting on barstools, brainstorming units stage of production.
24 Jul 2015, 04:26 AM

I believe the ability itself can be change to obey shot blocker even if the projectile itself will go through them.
24 Jul 2015, 04:56 AM

Well it's doctrinal now. I've been playing against OKW almost nonstop, many of which had Elite Armor, and I haven't seen a single Sturmtiger.

Actually now I think of it, I haven't seen a single Pz. IV J either...

I'm sorry, I've had some internet issues lately and the drops have really been tanking my rank. I wiped five squads with a single demo yesterday...

How common are Sturmtigers anyways?
24 Jul 2015, 05:10 AM

Well it's doctrinal now. I've been playing against OKW almost nonstop, many of which had Elite Armor, and I haven't seen a single Sturmtiger.

Actually now I think of it, I haven't seen a single Pz. IV J either...

I'm sorry, I've had some internet issues lately and the drops have really been tanking my rank. I wiped five squads with a single demo yesterday...

How common are Sturmtigers anyways?

Sturmtigers are the least built unit in the game by a fairly large margin.
24 Jul 2015, 05:53 AM

Irregulars disagree.
24 Jul 2015, 05:57 AM

A unit's occurence on the battlefield should not justify it's unfair behavior.
Ok, PAK 43 should be able to shoot through objects, due to several reasons (it can't move, it's pretty fragile, it fires a shell, etc). But the Sturmtiger? Ability to shoot through shotblockers is just silly. I think it should be able to shoot only if it has a clear shooting range. If you people want to compensate for this change (though I don't think it's needed), then let's ask for a smaller reload time or for a + 5 to range, or whatever. But shooting through shotblockers should not be. Not for Sturmtiger.
24 Jul 2015, 06:00 AM

if anything i like to buff it by giving it vet 2 bonus of avre to shoot faster meaning reduced aiming time it takes too much time when i click the attack order and when the actual shell hits thats the major problem with sturm make shell faster and reduce aiming time to 0.5 from 1
24 Jul 2015, 07:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2015, 05:57 AMJohnnyB
A unit's occurence on the battlefield should not justify it's unfair behavior.
Ok, PAK 43 should be able to shoot through objects, due to several reasons (it can't move, it's pretty fragile, it fires a shell, etc). But the Sturmtiger? Ability to shoot through shotblockers is just silly. I think it should be able to shoot only if it has a clear shooting range. If you people want to compensate for this change (though I don't think it's needed), then let's ask for a smaller reload time or for a + 5 to range, or whatever. But shooting through shotblockers should not be. Not for Sturmtiger.

The thing is that if it can't shoot through shot blockers then it can't hit anything and becomes worthles.

I think a decent compromise would be to slow the rocket slightly and add a noticeable visual effect, like with the Stuka. That way the target has some time to react.

Also, I wouldn't mind a unit being "unfair" if I only fought it once every twenty games. The thing must be rare for a reason. If it was truly so powerful they'd be popping up like T34/85s were two weeks ago.
24 Jul 2015, 07:17 AM

The thing is that if it can't shoot through shot blockers then it can't hit anything and becomes worthles.

I think a decent compromise would be to slow the rocket slightly and add a noticeable visual effect, like with the Stuka. That way the target has some time to react.

Also, I wouldn't mind a unit being "unfair" if I only fought it once every twenty games. The thing must be rare for a reason. If it was truly so powerful they'd be popping up like T34/85s were two weeks ago.

Sturmtigers are quite tricky to use (compared to most units) which is why they are so rare, this is coming from a extremely huge fan of the Sturmtiger. It's a niche unit for niche maps.
24 Jul 2015, 08:23 AM

There's nothing 'tricky' about the sturmtiger..

Put it behind an LOS blocker, wait,
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

Netherlands 15
South Africa 4
Germany 823
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L