Login

russian armor

DLC Business Ethics - Making a Stock Unit Premium

21 Jul 2015, 16:08 PM

Eh. I don't get it.

OKW stock army is in itself a Paid DLC item...

How many people actually think they are getting ripped off? And who cares anyways, just wait month for another 50-75% off sale and get elite armored commander for a buck or two. Not that big of a deal.
21 Jul 2015, 20:07 PM

Eh. I don't get it.

OKW stock army is in itself a Paid DLC item...

How many people actually think they are getting ripped off? And who cares anyways, just wait month for another 50-75% off sale and get elite armored commander for a buck or two. Not that big of a deal.

Yes, but in my opinion, the DLC content you have access to should always just be the DLC content you paid for, and not determined by balance changes. If a balance change requires sending you used to have access to getting sent to other paid DLC there should be some kind of compensation for that.
21 Jul 2015, 20:13 PM

Yes, but in my opinion, the DLC content you have access to should always just be the DLC content you paid for, and not determined by balance changes. If a balance change requires sending you used to have access to getting sent to other paid DLC there should be some kind of compensation for that.

OMG RERIK! I WUZ GIVN FREE PREMIUM PANZOR! COMPENSATE NAU PLOX!!!one!1!
nee
21 Jul 2015, 20:48 PM

As OP should clearly know by now, people don't really read or think much of threads. They'll still harp you like as if you've identified yourself as a self entitled hater brat despite stating the exact opposite sentiments in the first few sentences.

Which is doubly ironic given that people have allegedly whined the hell out of Relic to make OKW play more like Ostheer. Guess we now who who are the real self-entitled C-sticks.

As for the subject itself Relic can justify it with the usual "It's warspoils so you CAN get it for free, therefore you need to treat it as if it IS free", as well as the fact that if you've ground the hell out of yourself by now you'll have gotten the commander, or paid for the commander, but which both does not bring any negative effects. Whether or not that's a slippery slope into truly questionable business ethics, well you're asking the wrong people. Most people here either don't care, or benefit, so they think you're the self-entitled one rather than themselves. Usually they're also jerks too. Internetz and all that.
21 Jul 2015, 21:14 PM
Donator 11

OPs Logic:

- Switching Sturmtiger & Panzer IV J for premium/paid Elite Armor Doctrine for balance related issues is unethical

Therefore:

- Moving MG42 to HQ for premium/paid Ostheer faction for balance related issues is also unethical
- Riflemen Company Easy 8 price buff for balance related issues is also unethical
- OKW fuel/munitions adjustment last year also unethical
- Soviet tier changes also unethical
- Every other balance change in the game (hundreds)
21 Jul 2015, 21:18 PM
Donator 11

OPs Logic:

- Switching Sturmtiger & Panzer IV J for premium/paid Elite Armor Doctrine for balance related issues is unethical

Therefore:

- Moving MG42 to HQ for premium/paid Ostheer faction for balance related issues is also unethical
- Riflemen Company Easy 8 price buff for balance related issues is also unethical
- OKW fuel/munitions adjustment last year also unethical
- Soviet tier changes also unethical
- Every other balance change in the game (hundreds) also unethical

This kind of mentality may actually scare Relic because it can be seriously. So I demand immediate stop of this protest because it will hinder Relic's ability to "upgrade" the game via balance patches.

You are paying for the commanders, not the individual units. Its common knowledge that all the units and abilities of every faction, commander, and building is subject to change. INCLUDING THE WHOLE ENGINE AND GAME MECHANICS THEMSELVES.

21 Jul 2015, 21:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2015, 20:13 PMKatitof

OMG RERIK! I WUZ GIVN FREE PREMIUM PANZOR! COMPENSATE NAU PLOX!!!one!1!

I know English isn't your strong point but this is a low quality post even for you ;)

@NorthWeapon

This kind of mentality may actually scare Relic because it can be seriously. So I demand immediate stop of this protest because it will hinder Relic's ability to "upgrade" the game via balance patch

Demand? A little untitled of you, isn't that?

None of the analogies you made involve moving anything to paid DLC. Nice try, though.
21 Jul 2015, 21:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2015, 20:48 PMnee
As OP should clearly know by now, people don't really read or think much of threads. They'll still harp you like as if you've identified yourself as a self entitled hater brat despite stating the exact opposite sentiments in the first few sentences.

Which is doubly ironic given that people have allegedly whined the hell out of Relic to make OKW play more like Ostheer. Guess we now who who are the real self-entitled C-sticks.

As for the subject itself Relic can justify it with the usual "It's warspoils so you CAN get it for free, therefore you need to treat it as if it IS free", as well as the fact that if you've ground the hell out of yourself by now you'll have gotten the commander, or paid for the commander, but which both does not bring any negative effects. Whether or not that's a slippery slope into truly questionable business ethics, well you're asking the wrong people. Most people here either don't care, or benefit, so they think you're the self-entitled one rather than themselves. Usually they're also jerks too. Internetz and all that.

this.

should be the last post of this thread, honestly.
21 Jul 2015, 23:12 PM
Patrion 14

What this patch did was bring the Sturmtiger back, not restrict it.

Before this patch, Sturmtiger was effectively buildable by zero out of six commanders. Now it is buildable by one of them. Panzer IV was buildable by one, now by six. Any way you look at it it's an incredible increase in strategies.

The buff that brought it back was not possible until it was locked away in a suitable doctrine.

There is no ethical breech here. If they didn't swap it with another exclusive unit that would be different, I suppose. I am sure people frothing at the unethicality of it all will have no problems using the Panzer IV J while complaining how unethical Relic is being.

We have a prime example of the tail wagging the dog here. The change is incredibly beneficial for balance, diversity of available strategies and the maturity of the faction, opening new doors previously closed to both the players who had the commander and those who didn't have him. You want to take this away from us because... what? What is the perceived benefit of reverting this change, that justifies losing what we just gained?
21 Jul 2015, 23:42 PM

They should bring out the Elite armored commander out on a special event - like they did with CAS.

I payed for a faction that had a Sturmtiger by default in it. Replacing it with a Panzer IV might be nice but considering the unit is heavy and iconic the result is unsatisfying. I have Panzer IVs in Ostheer already.

What about we lock down the SU-85 into a premium doctrine? To compensate, you could get the KV-1. Everybody who looked forward to play with the SU-85 this patch and doesn´t have the premium doc is going to be disappointed. Now buff the SU-85 to make it even more attractive. And then people buy. This is pure genius - I´ll give Relic that.
22 Jul 2015, 00:17 AM

We have a prime example of the tail wagging the dog here. The change is incredibly beneficial for balance, diversity of available strategies and the maturity of the faction, opening new doors previously closed to both the players who had the commander and those who didn't have him. You want to take this away from us because... what? What is the perceived benefit of reverting this change, that justifies losing what we just gained?

No one is asking for the change to be reverted. Thank you for posting without reading any content in the thread.
22 Jul 2015, 00:51 AM
Patrion 14

What about we lock down the SU-85 into a premium doctrine? To compensate, you could get the KV-1.
What happened with the Sturmtiger is precisely the opposite of what you proposed : the Soviets had KV-1 as a stock unit, and Relic decided to move Su 85 to stock and KV1 to doctrine. I suppose you would think that was a bad idea too.

Su85 is incredibly useful and moving it to a doctrine would nerf the Soviets into oblivion, while the KV-1 would add nothing meaningful in the highest tier that is supposed to coincide with Panthers.

Thank you for posting without reading any content in the thread.
Surely if your argument stood on its own two legs there would be no need for salt and sarcasm?
22 Jul 2015, 00:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2015, 01:46 AMTalore
These examples are really tortured logic. I could turn it around and say that you're complaining when the burger has had lettuce and tomato, but the menu changed later on to have lettuce and onion. Start vomiting up those burgers.

This principle is silly.

That would be different if you ordered BLT and found no bacon in it, no?

On the other hand, I agree with the OP that its still bad business practice whether it's "better" or not.

What if there is a future change that is equivalent in concept but in a "bad" way in terms of competetive meta?

Then will you cry bad business practice because its a nerf?

Its not a matter of being affordable or not.

I wonder if everyone's reaction would be the same if they took M5 out and put it in a blue commander?

For Relic, they had the option of putting ST next to KT with same requirements and better stats and still have pz4 at t4.

Relic's laziness to think up a new unit for elite armor doctrine and lack of business ethics led them to switch stock and premium content.

22 Jul 2015, 01:02 AM

What happened with the Sturmtiger is precisely the opposite of what you proposed : the Soviets had KV-1 as a stock unit, and Relic decided to move Su 85 to stock and KV1 to doctrine. I suppose you would think that was a bad idea too.

Su85 is incredibly useful and moving it to a doctrine would nerf the Soviets into oblivion, while the KV-1 would add nothing meaningful in the highest tier that is supposed to coincide with Panthers.

Surely if your argument stood on its own two legs there would be no need for salt and sarcasm?

Maybe it was like that in the alpha, I only played one or two games because it ran so terribly on my rig at the time. But I played a fuckload during June beta and the first couple months after release, and the SU85 was most definitely a stock unit when the game released. Ironically it looks like your argument is the one falling apart, since your facts are wrong.
22 Jul 2015, 01:35 AM
Patrion 14

Maybe it was like that in the alpha, I only played one or two games because it ran so terribly on my rig at the time. But I played a fuckload during June beta and the first couple months after release, and the SU85 was most definitely a stock unit when the game released. Ironically it looks like your argument is the one falling apart, since your facts are wrong.
The Su85 was always a stock unit. I merely flipped Cardboard Tanks' analogy on its head.
nee
22 Jul 2015, 02:55 AM

SOme more thoughts on the matter of P4J being stock:
IMO it didn't need to turn into stock unit, I think it should ahve been cheaper, unlocks earlier, comes only one per call-in, and retains some of the characteristics like the veterancy and comes with skirts and such/ Sure it would still be doctrinal, but it would also make Elite Armoured a very popular commander by virtue of a medium tank. At the very least it's a compromise between what it is pre-July21 (very expensive 2x tanks at a rather late time) and making it a unit you can build as soon as you get T4...alongside Panther. It just seems odd to have a tier that can build infantry, light+ medium+ plus medium-heavy tanks all in one, for a faction that's mostly about choosing one strategy over another depending on the truck you deploy first.

I also think, regardless of the change, P4J should have had some unique OKW attributes like different abilities. Sure it has 5 veterancy, but in the end it won't change how you play it from Ostheer. I'd go as far as replacing Combat Blitz with something like toggle HE/AP rounds. You know, to make it more of a "generalist tank" everyone was so willing to hump leg for. Worst case scenario it's just a Sherman on steroids.
23 Jul 2015, 08:39 AM
Patrion 14

I'd prefer a P4 over a Sturmtiger any day...
25 Jul 2015, 22:35 PM

It's poor faction planning and balancing on relic's part. It has nothing to do with being unethical.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★