Login

russian armor

HMG Maxim and M2HB .50 Cal need a buff

19 Jul 2015, 10:12 AM

Hello Company of Heroes 2 community, i am here to discuss about the current performance of allied hmg weapons (maxim and m2hb .50cal)in their role to suppress.

Since the June 23rd the hmg 42 is able to suppress infantry in its field of view very quickly and pin them almost immediately, duo to this you can’t hit it with in its field of view and need to avoid it (working as intended), but while the hmg 42 suppression is very good and able to stop blobs the maxim and the .50cal can’t do it.

HMG Maxim
this hmg(the maxim) has 2 advantages, its quick setup time and its 6 man module, what it doesn’t have is decent suppression and what’s worst it can’t suppress more than squad in its small field of view(compared to the hmg 42 large one and its current performance)it also costs the same as a hmg 42(240 MP) it is also very buggy on retreat(being stuck and unable to move while also being able to be hit),the maxim at its current state cant suppress blobs only a single squad and what’s worst is you don’t actually need to flank it, you see the German factions have a weapon upgrade which is called lmg 42/34 that very reliably kills squad members of the hmg(remember the maxim cant suppress more than 1 squad)all for 60/75 munitions and if that doesn’t help you take it out or just don’t like it then rifle nades or infiltration grenades will do the job so well you will get a free maxim(which most don’t bother using UNLESS they can’t bring their hmg, most prefer to salvage it),duo to the suppression issue soviets can’t handle blobs with it yet it costs the same as a hmg 42? If it was meant to be spammed then why it doesn’t cost less than a hmg 42? I suggest a buff to its suppression just like the hmg 42 so it can do its job (suppress in it small field of view).

M2HB .50 Cal
this machine gun costs more(280 MP) then the maxim(240 MP) AND the mg 42(240MP)yet it can’t suppress reliably in its large field of view and can’t survive because its fragile EVEN IN GREEN COVER the .50 Call is fragile,lmg42/34 kill it in seconds(remember its suppression doesn’t match the 42 but it’s better than the maxim yet still dies to blobs)also if you still don’t want to kill this mg with lmgs you can still try the grenades the German factions get they are a guarantee wipe, what’s more bad about this mg is not its high cost or its arrival, but its fragile nature and its damage to cover units and light armor(it was supposed to hit hard yet is worst then the lmg 42/34 on units with green cover which don’t need setup),except this weapon allies don’t have any other weapon for suppression to handle blobs and are forced to blob to counter it or rush tanks (light or medium). I suggest a suppression buff AND the fragile nature of this hmg being removed (at least at green cover)

Why did I make this topic? Well you see since the June 23rd patch allies encounter hmg 42s and struggle to take it out (Molotov nerf , USF lack of mortar and grenade cost)they are pushed back with this unit very reliably until their medium armor arrive BUT when you do beat it with flanks you see blobs and cant reliably beat it yourself without hmg(the allied HMG weapons!) and end up losing either way, this isn’t a big issue at 1vs1 BUT 2vs2,3vs3,4vs4 it is VERY annoying and for the most part not fun(no fun being treated as second class faction with awful weapons that the enemy can take out with little skill and low resources),Allies need a HMG that can reliably beat the German blob army and force the enemy to use his other units better and stop this a-move bull**** and force them to flank like allies do now and use that mortar or infantry support gun they have to counter heavily protected HMGS and never charge blobs to Allied HMGs field of view.

thank you for reading this wall of text and tell me if you agree or disagree with me and why :-)
19 Jul 2015, 10:33 AM
Donator 33

Umm have you read the upcoming patchnotes?, Maxim is getting a buff, and i dont really think 50cal to be that bad since they will remove the extra riflegrenade range from Grenadier VET 2

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog?p=187524#post187524
19 Jul 2015, 10:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2015, 10:33 AMATCF
Umm have you read the upcoming patchnotes?, Maxim is getting a buff, and i dont really think 50cal to be that bad since they will remove the extra riflegrenade range from Grenadier VET 2

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog?p=187524#post187524

the buff wont help much it still doesnt supress very good and the .50 cal is dying to fast to anything even in green cover and the supression on it doesnt shine that much even if its not fragile(in buildings)it needs a buff for its late arrival and high cost
19 Jul 2015, 10:52 AM
Donator 22

the buff wont help much it still doesnt supress very good and the .50 cal is dying to fast to anything even in green cover and the supression on it doesnt shine that much even if its not fragile(in buildings)it needs a buff for its late arrival and high cost

A buff was needed yes and it comes next patch. The rifle nade got a range nerf and the maxim will shine again. We don't need pure maxim spam back :foreveralone:
19 Jul 2015, 11:02 AM

A buff was needed yes and it comes next patch. The rifle nade got a range nerf and the maxim will shine again. We don't need pure maxim spam back :foreveralone:

the buff fixes a bug the maxim had with its targeting it still wont supress blobs like the mg42 and the maxim spam is always hard countered by both factions,also rifle nades lost their extra range at vet 2,they still have better range then other nades and wipe
19 Jul 2015, 14:00 PM

As a mostly soviet player the maxim is in a good spot right now. Its fast, can pin(yay!) and can help your other infantry close the gap without taking too much losses. Its an offensive tool thinking that it shares the same role as the MG42 isn't a good idea. Although true they are both HMGs they're intended roles are worlds apart. If you want to use the maxim for defensive purpose you have to use the buildings or wire to a kill zone.

For anti blob tactics I'd suggest the Su-76 for that. The barrage is just godly especially when its close and they're relatively cheap to build. They are now a true zis on wheels.
19 Jul 2015, 14:28 PM

The only thing I find bad with the new dev is he decided to buff the maxim in spite he refused first.

This is the only MG doesn't deserve the AOE suppression. I don't care if it has normal arc of fire and normal setup time. Now it is just stupidly casual A-move friendly.
19 Jul 2015, 15:24 PM

"i don't like the new dev. He buffed a shitty stock soviet unit that no one ever made."
19 Jul 2015, 15:34 PM

adding 1 man to 50cal crew would be nice, other than that its ok
19 Jul 2015, 16:02 PM
Patrion 14

50 cal dies too easy. otherwise, i think all is good.
19 Jul 2015, 16:39 PM

As a mostly soviet player the maxim is in a good spot right now. Its fast, can pin(yay!) and can help your other infantry close the gap without taking too much losses. Its an offensive tool thinking that it shares the same role as the MG42 isn't a good idea. Although true they are both HMGs they're intended roles are worlds apart. If you want to use the maxim for defensive purpose you have to use the buildings or wire to a kill zone.

For anti blob tactics I'd suggest the Su-76 for that. The barrage is just godly especially when its close and they're relatively cheap to build. They are now a true zis on wheels.

be offencive in what? the maxim cant supress and assist you with your assault and you cant use it to protect armor in their assault protecting them against sherck blobs? its doesnt do its role,they also do the same thing SUPRESS their HMGs and their role is to supress when you advance or when your enemy advances to your position,it does nothing of those its just an awful HMG that needs buffs
19 Jul 2015, 17:28 PM

be offencive in what? the maxim cant supress and assist you with your assault and you cant use it to protect armor in their assault protecting them against sherck blobs? its doesnt do its role,they also do the same thing SUPRESS their HMGs and their role is to supress when you advance or when your enemy advances to your position,it does nothing of those its just an awful HMG that needs buffs

Have you played the Patch preview? The buffed Maxim is much better than its (admittedly terrible) current form and is in a good place. It suppresses single squads fast and its fast set-up times allows you to pivot it quickly to suppress flanking squads. If multiple squads of Grens are holding hands it should also suppress them with the new incremental accuracy buff. You won't be able to plop it down and forget it and then expect it to insta-pin multiple squads; that's not its role. It's more "offensive" in the "move forward with Cons and suppress what's most dangerous" sense.

The USF 50 Cal is okay in my opinion; the recent long-range damage buff makes is more usable than it had been. It's a nice middle ground between Maxim and MG42 IMO, BUT I do think that 280 is a bit overpriced given it's current performance AND the fact that it's locked behind Lt.
19 Jul 2015, 17:46 PM

The .50 Cal is in my opinion best MG ingame. Fast set up time, wide arc, and the best damage you can ask for. Use it as a maneuver element while your Riflemen act as firebase.
19 Jul 2015, 18:40 PM

its only allowed to suppress one squad. that's because it has higher durability and mobility then any other hmg in the game. if it was as good as an mg42 it would be insanely op. current maxim is fine in my opinion.
19 Jul 2015, 22:13 PM

The .50 Cal is in my opinion best MG ingame. Fast set up time, wide arc, and the best damage you can ask for. Use it as a maneuver element while your Riflemen act as firebase.

do stats bear that out? I doubt it.
19 Jul 2015, 23:12 PM

Fast set up, nice ark, highest damage, still good suppression, and supported by Riflemen.

Lemme put it this way: 2 Rifles and 1 .50 will beat 2 LMG Grens and an HMG42 quite handily.

Vs OKW it punishes infantry spam, Kubel, and even MG34 play. T1 is useless vs Mexh though.
20 Jul 2015, 01:01 AM
Patrion 27

the buff fixes a bug the maxim had with its targeting...

False.

"Fixed a bug where the Maxim HMG incremental accuracy wasn’t increased along with other HMGs." That means the Maxim will do more damage when there are more models in the area being targeted.

"Maxim nearby suppression multiplier increased from 0.4 to 0.8" Squads will be suppressed from double the distance of the squad being targeted.

Maxim is fine right now and the garrison facing buff helped ALL MG's immensely. On Tuesday Maxims will be boss.
20 Jul 2015, 01:03 AM

HMG42 needs damage nerf. It can clear garrisons on its own, kill up to 3 man squads on retreat and gains vet faster than any other hmg in game.

So hight damage is fine for 50 cal with super vulnerable against rifle nades and lmgs 4 man crew, but not for HMG42 with screen-wide arc of fire and best AoE suppression in whole game.

HMG34 needs little love.
20 Jul 2015, 01:07 AM

Jadame!, I thought MG34 got vet the quickest.
20 Jul 2015, 01:27 AM

The MG34 gets vet quick because it's incredibly cheap. The MG34 just needs to have it's old damage back (4) because since they halved it to 2 it has essentially no teeth.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★