Login

russian armor

Faceplate's that indicate ELO/Rank?

9 Jul 2015, 01:01 AM
Donator 11

Love the idea.
It was a great system in coh1 they should continue it in coh2!

Thanks for the post Hans!
9 Jul 2015, 03:47 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wow people are actually rejecting this? And the people who are rejecting this idea don't even play the game much, let alone competitively! I'm not going to mention any names...

I am at a loss of words. How on Earth could you reject such an epic idea? There is a reason why League of Legends, DoTa, and Counter Strike Global Offensive (Starcraft too) are the most popular games in the world. It's because their ranking and competitive play provides incentive for players to continue playing because they have something to achieve (creates replayability). Of course these games provide other incentives as well in addition to this, but the ELO system is the cornerstone to their success.

I am 100% with Hans and am surprised just as much as him. And I don't understand what's the complaint that casual gamers are going to quit or something? There's a thing called custom lobbies? Don't add ELO ranks to custom lobbies and leave it to automatch. Why do casual gamers need to interfere with competitive games, and vice versa?

All of you know for a fact the majority of the COH2.ORG community is pro-competitive. There's a misconception that the competitive community is small. No, my entire friends list is competitive COH 2 players and I have 300 of them. I verse competitive gamers all the time. Most of the 1v1 community are competitive gamers. If you check the AT leaderboards for ANY playlist, you will see the competitive community. If you check the dudes that applied to the League of Heroes tourney, you will see the competitive community.

Take a look: http://www.coh2.org/ladders/index/1/7/0 (That's 200 competitive teams. And there's more where that came from)

That being said, competitive gamers will be the ones dropping prematurely even more than casual gamers. This is why you do something like CS:GO and don't show the ranks in the beginning of the game.

I actually think COH 2 needs this to avoid death in a year or two.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On top of this people need to realize that Relic is still in the making of Esports around the corner. Remember in the past they said time and time that they would bring out Observer mode and we thought it wouldn't happen BUT it did. The same is true for Esports and Relic have said they are current working on it. Also why introduce an observer mode if not for Esports? Anyway my point is Esports encourages competitive players and if there is no proper ranking system then competitive as well as casual players will find no reason to keep playing.I know this for a fact as I was a compstomper back in the old days of vcoh and what kept me playing was trying to get a better level than my friends.

Ladders and ranking would do wonders for the community I am telling you now.
9 Jul 2015, 03:59 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I would love it but the direction Relic has taken says otherwise.

If i knew theres a was a huge skillwise gap with my opponent you could just go from the getgo with a nonconventional commander or units.

I believe the ranking system would save everyone's time. Low level players would drop and get pushed down to people in a similar skill level and therefore no one is wasting time trying to play out the match when the result is going to be obvious.

Because this game is not built for competitive gaming but casual.

Everyone plays 4v4 or compstomp.

Explain Observer mode then and the thousands of replays in the replay section consisting of a majority of game modes that are not 4v4s.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2015, 20:26 PMRollo
I will say no just like your twitch thread.

I would rather relic focus on other things like mod tools/balance/maps than spending dev time on stuff that doesn't actually impact the game.

You just have been given more mod tools and there is a workshop full of community made maps. What more do you want?!

Also there will always be balance patches as its nearly impossible to find the right balance. Relic might as well invest in other things that DEFINITELY can be improved like the twitch section and ladder system.

may as well bring back smurfing. the community just can't sustain something like this.

Smurfing is going on already and it really doesn't matter. Also wheres your statistics pointing towards this not be sustainable? I can point to SC2, CS:GO and LoL for evidence of ranking systems and leader-boards being successful and sustainable.
9 Jul 2015, 04:17 AM

While this is nothing new and has been repeatedly asked for since release, its worth bringing up again that SOME visible ranking system in game has to exist. I don't care if its a symbol or number, its just the biggest oversight that has somehow taken 2+ years to implement.

Also, any feature that indicates someone's skill/rank should only be shown after the match imo, during the results screen or Victory/Loss screen. This is especially apparent in team games, the last thing you want is someone on either team dropping because they're intimidated or are immediately discouraged because the other team is higher ranked. Even if the odds are seemingly against you, as everyone knows CoH games have the potential for massive come backs.

Quoting myself from a post in 2014

People may think it trivial but adding in game leagues/rank insignia to distinguish yourself from others is one of the biggest motivators for people to keep on playing. CoH1 had the 1-20 rank system, SC2/LoL/CSGO also have their own leagues/ranks that are a huge factor in driving people to play more and more.

All CoH2 has is an out of game leader board with a number that signifies how supposedly good you are, which frankly isn't a fun feature to show how much you have improved or how good you are. Relic need to give players a reason to keep on playing and to keep on improving (which will in turn bring in more "good" players), I think a proper rank system is a major factor.
9 Jul 2015, 04:47 AM
9 Jul 2015, 05:25 AM
Donator 22

of, course, do it, show us the ranks!!
9 Jul 2015, 06:23 AM

Good idea hanZy.
9 Jul 2015, 06:33 AM

Smurfing is going on already and it really doesn't matter. Also wheres your statistics pointing towards this not be sustainable? I can point to SC2, CS:GO and LoL for evidence of ranking systems and leader-boards being successful and sustainable.

but this time around smurfing was neither institutionalized nor as systemic as it was in CoH1. it doesn't matter to you, because you can deal with the best players, whereas such disingeniousness has a seriously negative impact on less experienced players.
c'mon hans, to even slightly consider CoH2 as comparable to the largest multiplayer games perhaps in history up to this point, is slightly suspect. we have a quotient of their active playerbases, and more prestige items for the top end, to me, sounds like nothing more than an appeal to elitism.

a discussion about ladder systems/rankings is you moving the goalposts on me as well. that's a whole 'nother discussion which i will entertain only by saying, consider even @ the <1000 level how long it can take to find a 1v1, and then ask yourself how long that would potentially take if we were to further segment the player pool, and then ask just how keen people would be to wait for a game nearly as long as it would take to see one to its conclusion. this also harkens back to the discussion of disconnects. the MM system would be fine if the playerbase was large enough to support it, but these drops occur often due to gaps in skill perceived or otherwise, simply due to availability.

and to everyone calling for the return of the rudimentary CoH1 system: did we even have any understanding how it worked? beat players higher rank than you, get a better badge, lose; face demotion. is that really any different than what we have now, only it's a number instead of a picture, and slightly obtuse to find? -- i don't think anyone would be averse to making the data in the current system more readily accessible. display the leaderboard rank at the end of the game, job done.

Explain Observer mode then and the thousands of replays in the replay section consisting of a majority of game modes that are not 4v4s.

how many of the 4v4's go un-uploaded, or un-casted, partially due to the difficulty in castability, but also due to the stigma of 4v4 not mattering, a stigma mostly perpetuated by duelists, and those who want such a prestige based system.
9 Jul 2015, 07:13 AM

this is just from the shoutbox, read from the bottom up:
utopia's and fantasies are nice to look at and talk about, but y'can't live life in a christmas card.

iTzDusty: Its weird though cause my 10 games as USF had awesome teammates. Even at the lower levels it wasnt all that bad. Got to rank 8 after 10 matches so placements worked fairly well
Yesterday, 21:11 PM
Budwise: pretty much why 2v2 random is a last resort
Yesterday, 21:09 PM
iTzDusty: *sigh* random 2v2s with shit ELO gets you the worst teammates. Rank 13000 and me vs top 80s, I carried so damn hard and my teammate just turtled #JustrandumbThings
Yesterday, 21:08 PM

iTzDusty: Gdots team : 85-0 as Allies in 4v4 Allies OpieOP :snfPeter:
Today, 00:08 AM
kamk: Thing is: all these 10 games so far were absolutely predicted by CELO. There wasn't even anything close in there, well, maybe one out of the ten so far. And this is a huge issue.
Yesterday, 23:51 PM
kamk: Goes both ways NW. Just had the opposite of the "Axis OpieOp", literally a 1v3.
Yesterday, 23:50 PM
kamk: And if you play AT is pretty much easy mode most of the time on either side - same shit like a year ago.
Yesterday, 23:48 PM
NorthWeapon: Relic's matchmaking isn't that much of an issue. It tries to pair similar ELOs together. It's the fact that so many players are searching as Axis to the point where MM decides "screw ELO I'm going to pair you with anyone"
Yesterday, 23:48 PM
kamk: Dunno, i don't roflstomp, i mostly play sim city in 3v3 / 4v4, and try not to base siege in minutes. But apparently quitting got way worse nowadays.
Yesterday, 23:46 PM
kamk: Well, switching doesn't matter at all. Play whatever you want to. In the end MM will decide your faith, same crap like last time i did this (half a year ago)
Yesterday, 23:45 PM
NorthWeapon: Allied it'd compensate for the OP axis in larger game types lol. As crazy as it sounds. I don't understand what's the glory of roflcompstomping your opponents when you're already good and playing as axis, it's soooo boring
Yesterday, 23:45 PM
NorthWeapon: the unfortunate truth kamk :C What makes it worse is majority of players switch over to Axis exclusively in 3v3s and 4v4s because they don't want to lose. Serious why do the good players need to do this? I feel like if the good players stayed playing
Yesterday, 23:44 PM
kamk: So far 1/10 games could have been considered "fair", the rest was compeltely one sided.
Yesterday, 23:42 PM
kamk: Well, i'm just doing a fancy list for the "balance" thread - regarding 3v3 "balance". So far: every game has been decided by MM by a huge margin - lovely!
Yesterday, 23:40 PM
Australian Magic: It's not that bad kamk. Once I was matched 4 times in a row if guy who was dropping all the time during loading screen :foreveralone:
Yesterday, 23:38 PM
kamk: Well, not like the games before without quitters were any fun - yay MM.
Yesterday, 23:35 PM
kamk: Hm... 2x quitters in a row. Not too funny :/
Yesterday, 23:22 PM
9 Jul 2015, 08:15 AM

Recorded matchmaking for one evening.
Most games were decided by matchmaking.
Only 3 games were "balanced".

http://share.pho.to/9YqAB
9 Jul 2015, 08:30 AM

Brits release is only salvation for 3v3/4v4 random allies.
9 Jul 2015, 08:35 AM

Oh yes. We need this stuff.
9 Jul 2015, 08:36 AM

Recorded matchmaking for one evening.
Most games were decided by matchmaking.
Only 3 games were "balanced".

http://share.pho.to/9YqAB

Either matchmaker is broken/poorly tuned or your timezone playerbase is low. Where are you from btw?
9 Jul 2015, 08:44 AM

Either matchmaker is broken/poorly tuned or your timezone playerbase is low. Where are you from btw?

Germany, I'd say I'm from the Time Zone with the most active player base.
AT is the same.
3vs3+ 95 % is scrub stomp, I'd say from 87 games I had with my 3vs3 At team 5 were interesting, 4 were synch error hacks and the rest was just under 15 minutes noob stomp.
9 Jul 2015, 09:03 AM
Donator 11

This whole idea is a bit too hard for the people at Relic, I guarantee they'd find a way to make it so you rise rank in compstomps too lel
9 Jul 2015, 09:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2015, 20:26 PMRollo
I will say no just like your twitch thread.

I would rather relic focus on other things like mod tools/balance/maps than spending dev time on stuff that doesn't actually impact the game.

You understand that dev's are broken into different disciplines and that dev's working on creating faceplates linked to rank would have no impact on dev's working on map balance, game balance etc.

A quick and simple way to do this would be add a faceplate which has space to display ladder rank.

I am guessing, 1 GUI artist, 1 GUI programmer. 1 week of work.
9 Jul 2015, 11:18 AM

+1 to the idea. Too bad the community is small and is filled with people who would quit and complain in a heartbeat.
9 Jul 2015, 11:29 AM
Donator 33

I remember browsing COH 1 Leaderboards and seeing TOP 1-10 and those players rarely showed themselves on COH 1 replays/shoutcasts, but knowing their rank was exciting if you were watching a replay of them, COH 2 has that tool that allows you to check your opponents rank, but i dont remember its name :S

9 Jul 2015, 11:44 AM

http://www.coh2.org/topic/29621/improve-ranking-system-relic/page/1 I suggested something like this some months ago. IMO bigger problem in the whole matchmaking system is, that ranks don´t reset. Would be much better, if ranks reset once in 6 months or once in a year, so there would be some variety in higher ELO rankings. For example League of Legends resets ladders once in a year.

And ELO rank should be visible in game menus!
9 Jul 2015, 15:59 PM

There's already a perfectly fine ranking system - ELO. Nothing there needs to change.

In game leaderboards I guess would be cool, easier access or whatever. People who care about rank already know how and where to find it, it's just that some people want their epeen exposed to as many people as possible.

Honestly I think there's no valid reason for anything to change, what we have now works fine. Relic should spend time and energy on things that actually matter like new content (maps, redesigned commanders, new units, etc), balance, bug fixes. That sort of thing. if they did implement anything it would need to show at the end of the game replacing the silly prestige thing that we have now.

Really it's just a matter of people wanting other people to visually see who is "superior" by having some "cool" reward for being ranked high. Cool I guess... But irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If you're good let your play speak for itself and others will decide that you're good. You don't need some visual indicator to show off to others.

Just my two cents.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Germany 2
Korea, Republic Of 1
Germany 41

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L