Login

russian armor

New game mechanics you'd like to see?

10 Jun 2015, 10:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 08:43 AMKatitof
Side upgrades for ALL armies(weapons, additional abilities, armor, popcap reduction/mp income increase, WHATEVER to increase economy depth), especially for axis so its not YOLO into highest tier with no decision making what so ever.
10 Jun 2015, 12:07 PM

Fix the squad spacing.
10 Jun 2015, 12:18 PM

Good idea actually, but could lead to a lot of annoying infantry wipes.

Thanks, my goal with that idea is to make the game much more tactically important than base building important.

Allies are disadvantaged because the game is kind of a tank race which Axis can win if they just get enough line of sight for their guns.

Axis are disadvantaged because they are almost always outnumbered by infantry early game, so they tech up to have 100% advantage with tanks like Ostwind or Luchs.

Furthermore, D-Day proved infantry in open spaces do not get pinned 100% of the time. Time to up the lethality of MG guns and lower suppression for open ground, but keep suppression and lethality the same for units in cover.

I think MG's will be better than way.
10 Jun 2015, 12:35 PM

Current game mechanics that actually work?
10 Jun 2015, 13:18 PM

* side armor
* vehicles move slower on the bombarded terrain..
10 Jun 2015, 15:47 PM

Permanently Banned
@lelic

Less LOL one shot wipes. Please for gods sake. Dont even think about adding more of it with the brits. But who am I kidding I bet you will.

I bet that the brits get the AVRE that shoots b4/sturmtiger shells on the move and can reload on the move while costing less than like 160 fuel. Relics prone to shitty gimmicky units like this.
10 Jun 2015, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 12:18 PM1[][]

Thanks, my goal with that idea is to make the game much more tactically important than base building important.

Allies are disadvantaged because the game is kind of a tank race which Axis can win if they just get enough line of sight for their guns.

Axis are disadvantaged because they are almost always outnumbered by infantry early game, so they tech up to have 100% advantage with tanks like Ostwind or Luchs.

Furthermore, D-Day proved infantry in open spaces do not get pinned 100% of the time. Time to up the lethality of MG guns and lower suppression for open ground, but keep suppression and lethality the same for units in cover.

I think MG's will be better than way.

Yes, I realize CoH is sort of an arcady game and realism is obviously out the door. However the game really needs to be more punishing (but not crippling) to non-tactical gamestyles like blobbing and more rewarding for innovative strategies.

Something I'm missing from the OG CoH is a way to get back in the game even if you're set back, low fuel income early game shouldn't be a death sentence nor should massive sudden losses from something like a well placed artillery strike make you surrender. Perhaps decreased resource income the higher you float so you can't replace losses instantly when you've been popcapped for a while.
10 Jun 2015, 16:06 PM

Permanently Banned

Perhaps decreased resource income the higher you float so you can't replace losses instantly when you've been popcapped for a while.

Great idea, though I'd like to suggest that decreased resource gain should only happen once certain resource milestones are reached. Not just from the get go the more you have the lower the rate.

I'd say past 800 manpower, 400 munitions, and 300 fuel float should maybe a 33% decreased income rate be applied. Its then removed after your resource pool drops below that.

This could help reduce spam of abilities and units and improve chances of a losing player. This isn't really gimping a player who has worked hard to push hard and hold more territory, but rather slightly prevent a player who has held the majority of the map from just throwing away units units and call in strikes simply because he can stockpile resources to a large extent.
10 Jun 2015, 16:13 PM
Donator 11

Great idea, though I'd like to suggest that decreased resource gain should only happen once certain resource milestones are reached. Not just from the get go the more you have the lower the rate.

I'd say past 800 manpower, 400 munitions, and 300 fuel float should maybe a 33% decreased income rate be applied. Its then removed after your resource pool drops below that.

Manpower is already decreased due upkeep.

Ammo reduction would certainly criple a few commanders and buildups.

Fuel reduction i can't see the point in. Either you float, or you don't. Your suggested 33% after 300 fuel won't have any impact on that in my opinion.
10 Jun 2015, 16:17 PM

This could help reduce spam of abilities and units and improve chances of a losing player. This isn't really gimping a player who has worked hard to push hard and hold more territory, but rather slightly prevent a player who has held the majority of the map from just throwing away units units and call in strikes simply because he can stockpile resources to a large extent.

Right, not sure if munitions should be capped at all though, saving for artillery support is a legit tactic in my opinion and some of those cost 200 muni+.

Another thing I've been thinking about is that unit preservation should be more important, maybe make reinforcment even cheaper and give all units 4-5vet plus special upgrades that are unlocked only when vetted.

No unit should have only one upgrade available anyway then they might as well just increase manpower cost and give fusiliers G43s right off the bat. If they had to pick between G43s and say extra bodyarmor it would be more interesting.
10 Jun 2015, 16:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 16:13 PMkamk

Manpower is already decreased due upkeep.

Ammo reduction would certainly criple a few commanders and buildups.

Fuel reduction i can't see the point in. Either you float, or you don't. Your suggested 33% after 300 fuel won't have any impact on that in my opinion.

The point is to cap the lead it is possible to have over your opponent. If you continuously bleed him whilst taking littel losses yourself you end up with a large float due to popcap. that means that you can start sacrificing units because they are easily replaced and also the other guy is punished just for being behind since losses are no big deal to you.

If anyone can get back on equal terms with a successful ambush or well-executed fight it'll make the game much more fun and also discourage people surrendering/quitting after 15-25 minutes due to losses they can't rebound from.

The game shouldn't be decided by if you lose a single tank or a few squads early game.
10 Jun 2015, 16:26 PM

Permanently Banned

The point is to cap the lead it is possible to have over your opponent. If you continuously bleed him whilst taking littel losses yourself you end up with a large float due to popcap. that means that you can start sacrificing units because they are easily replaced and also the other guy is punished just for being behind since losses are no big deal to you.

If anyone can get back on equal terms with a successful ambush or well-executed fight it'll make the game much more fun and also discourage people surrendering/quitting after 15-25 minutes due to losses they can't rebound from.

The game shouldn't be decided by if you lose a single tank or a few squads early game.

Right thats the point, a good player deserves some float for the effort they have done, but not so much that they get to the point where they can just suicide units or make a lot of bad resource investments and have it not affect them whatsoever leading them not to really try once a certain point is reached.

Maybe my suggestions were a bit low but something of the like perhaps. This could also indirectly help in 4v4 shitlord fest where resource floats and excessive units get out of control.
10 Jun 2015, 16:34 PM

Yes, I realize CoH is sort of an arcady game and realism is obviously out the door. However the game really needs to be more punishing (but not crippling) to non-tactical gamestyles like blobbing and more rewarding for innovative strategies.

Something I'm missing from the OG CoH is a way to get back in the game even if you're set back, low fuel income early game shouldn't be a death sentence nor should massive sudden losses from something like a well placed artillery strike make you surrender. Perhaps decreased resource income the higher you float so you can't replace losses instantly when you've been popcapped for a while.

Yea man, CoH2 definitely tries to be fun and open to the casual player. But isn't that where they go wrong? Someone buying an RTS game expecting Call of Duty?

I'm not saying you have to be a genius to play RTS but it is demanding at times.

10 Jun 2015, 16:37 PM

Uh-huh, no unit should be expendable, not even the kubel or the scout car they should all scale in some way.

The kubel could get a special mine ability or defensive aura like the support tank when all trucks are setup. CoH is at it's best when you play a 1v1 or 2v2 chess game and every unit is vital to success. It's really boring when you just spam tigers or jacksons in 4v4 and throw them at each other.

Micro and tactics is what makes the game fun and different.
10 Jun 2015, 16:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 16:34 PM1[][]

Yea man, CoH2 definitely tries to be fun and open to the casual player. But isn't that where they go wrong? Someone buying an RTS game expecting Call of Duty?

I'm not saying you have to be a genius to play RTS but it is demanding at times.

It's a cliché but "easy to learn, hard to master" is what turned me on to the OG CoH. The first thing you notice is the nice details, the destructable envirnment, the fun micro tactics (cover system and such) and nice presentation especially the voice recordings.

What makes you stay is the flora of tactics that can be used and, even if I shudder at the words, how every battle tells a story. Also you'll never master the micro, it's like the speed of light, you can get close but you'll never be perfect.
10 Jun 2015, 17:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2015, 20:43 PM1[][]

redesign cover. All open ground is now red cover and you receive bonus dmg and suppression.

Open ground is as bad as red cover

Open suppression:1.0
Open penetration:1.0
Open accuracy:1.25
Open damage:1.25

Negative suppression:1.5
Negative penetration:1.0
Negative accuracy:1.25
Negative damage:1.25
10 Jun 2015, 19:38 PM

Open ground is as bad as red cover

Open suppression:1.0
Open penetration:1.0
Open accuracy:1.25
Open damage:1.25

Negative suppression:1.5
Negative penetration:1.0
Negative accuracy:1.25
Negative damage:1.25

How do I multi-quote?

Anyway, make them worse.

It's a cliché but "easy to learn, hard to master" is what turned me on to the OG CoH. The first thing you notice is the nice details, the destructable envirnment, the fun micro tactics (cover system and such) and nice presentation especially the voice recordings.

What makes you stay is the flora of tactics that can be used and, even if I shudder at the words, how every battle tells a story. Also you'll never master the micro, it's like the speed of light, you can get close but you'll never be perfect.

Yea, no matter how hard you work you can never reach top speed due to lag, an old PC, and giving orders 1 by 1 (group go there, tank go here, this unit retreat)
10 Jun 2015, 19:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 19:38 PM1[][]

How do I multi-quote?

You have to do it manually in advanced post editor, thanks to the best forum engine :snfBarton:
10 Jun 2015, 20:13 PM
Donator 11

new game mechanic? maybe something like holding 3 vps in the early game stage ( < 5 min) makes them ticket faster to a qick win. for cheap inf spam and longer early game. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★