Login

russian armor

Advice

16 May 2015, 21:08 PM

Permanently Banned
Hello there!

I have recently bought Company of Heroes 2 and came across the subject of this forum via a guy ingame. I have been playing for about a week now and I am having some trouble with strategies and knowing what to build in what order.

I like to play as the Ostheer, but I am not very good with them. I usually make a few of the basic infantry units and then go for a few mg 42s. From there I usually try to get the other buildings and some tanks.

What are good strategies? What is a good build order? How do I place my units well so they can support each other without running the risk of the Russian fire grenades?

Many thanks

Squeaky
16 May 2015, 21:15 PM

A good trick I've found is to have Gren and MG42 squads linked together. When you come across an enemy, you immediately set up the MG42 and keep the Grens advancing.
The MG42 becomes your primary suppression unit and shuts down enemy infantry squads (which its really good at, especially if they're clumped together).
The gren squad is your buffer and deterrant to prevent the enemy rushing too close to your MG.

The ratio I try to keep to is 2 Grens:1 MG42.

If a molotov cocktail does land on your MG42, don't hesitate to retreat. Usually he'll have taken so many casualties he'll be forced to retreat immediately after.

Do be aware that the early game is currently the allies forte. Hold out for tanks, those really start messing up their infantry. :)

Best of luck, there's a lot of bitter vets around (such as myself), but I think the next patch promises to do a lot of good things to the game.
16 May 2015, 21:23 PM

Permanently Banned
A good trick I've found is to have Gren and MG42 squads linked together. When you come across an enemy, you immediately set up the MG42 and keep the Grens advancing.
The MG42 becomes your primary suppression unit and shuts down enemy infantry squads (which its really good at, especially if they're clumped together).
The gren squad is your buffer and deterrant to prevent the enemy rushing too close to your MG.

The ratio I try to keep to is 2 Grens:1 MG42.

If a molotov cocktail does land on your MG42, don't hesitate to retreat. Usually he'll have taken so many casualties he'll be forced to retreat immediately after.

Do be aware that the early game is currently the allies forte. Hold out for tanks, those really start messing up their infantry. :)

Best of luck, there's a lot of bitter vets around (such as myself), but I think the next patch promises to do a lot of good things to the game.

Thank you for your advice, I will use it and try it straight away!

The Allies are better early on? I thought I just sucked and needed to learn more. I still think this is the case, I make a lot of errors even if they are better.

Do they update the game frequently? I have been looking through some threads here and there and it seems a lot of players are frustrated, why is that?

Thank you again

Squeaky
16 May 2015, 21:26 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Pioneers are even better for supporting MGs because they have extended sight and flame throwers to discourage charging Molotov throwing infantry squads. 'fight fire with fire'.

A panzer grenadier squad or assault grenadiers from the Mechanized assault DLC doctrine are good for keeping those YOLO conscripts away as well.

Add a 251 half track to your force whenever possible, so that you don't have to retreat your MG42 all the time,just pack it up and reinforce it near the halftrack, that's called 'soft' retreating and allows you to have a leg to stand on during the early game.

Make sure you have an Anti tank gun by the 10 minute mark.

Post a replay of you playing to(Don't be shy) so I can truly help with your build order/teching etc
16 May 2015, 21:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Pioneers are even better for supporting MGs because they have extended sight and flame throwers to discourage charging Molotov throwing infantry squads. 'fight fire with fire'.

A panzer grenadier squad or assault grenadiers from the Mechanized assault DLC doctrine are good for keeping those YOLO conscripts away as well.

Add a 251 half track to your force whenever possible, so that you don't have to retreat your MG42 all the time,just pack it up and reinforce it near the halftrack, that's called 'soft' retreating and allows you to have a leg to stand on during the early game.

Make sure you have an Anti tank gun by the 10 minute mark.

Post a replay of you playing to(Don't be shy) so I can truly help with your build order/teching etc

Thank you for your advice, I will use these tips straight away!

You are a Senior Strategist? What is that? Are you an experienced RTS player?

Oh yes that would be very helpfull, how and where do I post a replay? I suppose I can find the replays in the Company of Heroes 2 gamefolder?
16 May 2015, 21:39 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thank you for your advice, I will use these tips straight away!

You are a Senior Strategist? What is that? Are you an experienced RTS player?

Oh yes that would be very helpfull, how and where do I post a replay? I suppose I can find the replays in the Company of Heroes 2 gamefolder?

You go to this link:http://www.coh2.org/replay/upload

From there you choose a file,go to My documents>My games> Coh2> Playback,and the replays will be there. Including your most recently played game.

Ive played coh2 a ton,since Day 1 release.

A strategist here on coh2.org writes strategy guides,reviews replays, and helps people learn or improve their play on this game,Free of charge.

We have a dedicated forum here: http://www.coh2.org/forum/2/state-office for strategy,advice, and mechanics related questions. Open 24/7!

You can also add me on steam if you have alot of questions! ill be more than glad to talk strategy and mechanics with you.
16 May 2015, 21:49 PM

Permanently Banned

You go to this link:http://www.coh2.org/replay/upload

From there you choose a file,go to My documents>My games> Coh2> Playback,and the replays will be there. Including your most recently played game.

Ive played coh2 a ton,since Day 1 release.

A strategist here on coh2.org writes strategy guides,reviews replays, and helps people learn or improve their play on this game,Free of charge.

We have a dedicated forum here: http://www.coh2.org/forum/2/state-office for strategy,advice, and mechanics related questions. Open 24/7!

You can also add me on steam if you have alot of questions! ill be more than glad to talk strategy and mechanics with you.

Thank you very much!

I have found both sections you have described, I will upload one of my games soon and I will look into some of your written strategy guides and those of others!

Do you have the same name on steam?

Squeaky

16 May 2015, 21:51 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thank you very much!

I have found both sections you have described, I will upload one of my games soon and I will look into some of your written strategy guides and those of others!

Do you have the same name on steam?

Squeaky

Yep,naem is the same here as it is on steam.

I hope your brain doesnt explode. Theres so much good info on this site.
16 May 2015, 21:53 PM

Permanently Banned
cookiezncream is scrub, he's not even top 200 MVGame

on serious note, what cookiez said is pretty much what I do, get that 251 as soon as possible. It helps your MGs hold their ground so much more effectively, especially if you micro it correctly and immediately drive it towards whatever MG is currently getting engaged, so it can reinforce as soon as it takes casualties. Also, if you get a PaK soon after, you can use the 251 to punk an Allied light vehicle (Soviet M3A1, USF M20/M15 AA/Stuart). What you do is wait for the enemy light vehicle to come in range of your PaK (or move it into range) and then once your AT gun is able to fire at the enemy vehicle, rush it with your 251 and drive directly behind it and stop. This will block the enemy vehicle's escape path, allowing you to get a second shot in.

I'll post an example of this being done later, but it's honestly not that hard and it's typically the last thing a light vehicle rusher would expect, especially since if you lose the 251 in the rush it's not nearly as big a loss as say an M15 AA.
16 May 2015, 22:06 PM

Permanently Banned

Yep,naem is the same here as it is on steam.

I hope your brain doesnt explode. Theres so much good info on this site.

I am beginning to realise that myself! I like it
16 May 2015, 22:08 PM

Permanently Banned
cookiezncream is scrub, he's not even top 200 MVGame

on serious note, what cookiez said is pretty much what I do, get that 251 as soon as possible. It helps your MGs hold their ground so much more effectively, especially if you micro it correctly and immediately drive it towards whatever MG is currently getting engaged, so it can reinforce as soon as it takes casualties. Also, if you get a PaK soon after, you can use the 251 to punk an Allied light vehicle (Soviet M3A1, USF M20/M15 AA/Stuart). What you do is wait for the enemy light vehicle to come in range of your PaK (or move it into range) and then once your AT gun is able to fire at the enemy vehicle, rush it with your 251 and drive directly behind it and stop. This will block the enemy vehicle's escape path, allowing you to get a second shot in.

I'll post an example of this being done later, but it's honestly not that hard and it's typically the last thing a light vehicle rusher would expect, especially since if you lose the 251 in the rush it's not nearly as big a loss as say an M15 AA.

I have seen somebody use this tactic against my pretty Tiger tank, he or she blocked it with a t34 76. I will use this! Thank you!

And MVGame?

Squeaky
17 May 2015, 01:16 AM

also another two tips are

1.turn off the ingame music and listen to your guys saying.

2. use spacebar to quickly change your screen to event location what your infantry calls out.

If they fighting enemy they will yell out, if they see enemy going to throw nade they will yell it. then u just simply use spacebar to the engagement and move your guys out of nade zone. (another tip is don't go backwards but side way to dodge the nade some players will try predict your movement and throw nades behind your guys so you might retreat right on where the nade lands.

i use to get gren gren HMG42 gren gren HMG42s then i go for a 222 then a 251 and a pak, p4 then pak after that depend on situation
17 May 2015, 03:24 AM
Donator 11

If you don't like to learn via reading paragraphs try visiting one of the many streamers that inhabit this game. Most of them are more than willing to give advice, do commentary on your replays, and explain what their strats are whiling playing.
17 May 2015, 06:42 AM

251 is good advice. When I'm fighting a unit backed by a 251, I know already I've already lost, simply because they'll keep being reinforced even if they're losing, whilst my unit will eventually be ground down and forced back.

17 May 2015, 07:37 AM

I personally learn more from good casters (like Day9 for SC) rather than good players streaming and whatnot. Though you should definitely check the twitch streams out at least ocasionally; it's very nice to see how people actually go about controlling their units and resources.

I highly recommend watching atr3uh's CoH2 Casts which you can find on this thread
http://www.coh2.org/topic/6343/atr-shoutcasts-company-of-heroes-2

or in my preferred format, subscribing to his youtube channel and seeing him in my twitter feed @atr3uh
https://www.youtube.com/user/atr3uh

He is definitely my favorite caster by far for CoH2, and he throws in a lot of helpful information and breakdown of the action. If you follow his videos you may even win some prizes he gives out like DLC commanders ;)

Also, you will love how he says "raketenwerfer". It always makes me smile when that tiny thing appears in his casts.

If you find videos or streamers aren't your thing, then having someone to talk to, like maybe the people on this forum, or even a 1v1 partner can help you loads; it's nice to have someone who will watch a replay for you or just beat your butt in 1v1 and then discuss it to see where you need improvement. Skype is also wonderful for that I've found.
17 May 2015, 09:39 AM

Permanently Banned
also another two tips are

1.turn off the ingame music and listen to your guys saying.

2. use spacebar to quickly change your screen to event location what your infantry calls out.

If they fighting enemy they will yell out, if they see enemy going to throw nade they will yell it. then u just simply use spacebar to the engagement and move your guys out of nade zone. (another tip is don't go backwards but side way to dodge the nade some players will try predict your movement and throw nades behind your guys so you might retreat right on where the nade lands.

i use to get gren gren HMG42 gren gren HMG42s then i go for a 222 then a 251 and a pak, p4 then pak after that depend on situation

Thank you, my men die from grenades like that way to often. The space bar function is really handy!

Squeaky
17 May 2015, 09:41 AM

Permanently Banned
I personally learn more from good casters (like Day9 for SC) rather than good players streaming and whatnot. Though you should definitely check the twitch streams out at least ocasionally; it's very nice to see how people actually go about controlling their units and resources.

I highly recommend watching atr3uh's CoH2 Casts which you can find on this thread
http://www.coh2.org/topic/6343/atr-shoutcasts-company-of-heroes-2

or in my preferred format, subscribing to his youtube channel and seeing him in my twitter feed @atr3uh
https://www.youtube.com/user/atr3uh

He is definitely my favorite caster by far for CoH2, and he throws in a lot of helpful information and breakdown of the action. If you follow his videos you may even win some prizes he gives out like DLC commanders ;)

Also, you will love how he says "raketenwerfer". It always makes me smile when that tiny thing appears in his casts.

If you find videos or streamers aren't your thing, then having someone to talk to, like maybe the people on this forum, or even a 1v1 partner can help you loads; it's nice to have someone who will watch a replay for you or just beat your butt in 1v1 and then discuss it to see where you need improvement. Skype is also wonderful for that I've found.

Thank you for your tips! I have subscribed to the channel you have shown me, I like it!

Squeaky
17 May 2015, 11:00 AM

I highly recommend to watch Dane's casts as they are usually very informative AND entertaining, because its Dane. Everyone here loves Dane :foreveralone:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Propagandacast

I also learned to play CoH by watching casts, but my favourite caster doesnt cast anymore, it was Krebs :megusta:
17 May 2015, 11:23 AM

just remember it takes a while to actually get familiar with the game, specially now that there are 4 factions and another one is coming.
Don't get disappointed, play all factions (if you have them) every now and then to learn their pros and cons, and watch replays and live games.

I highly recommend to watch Dane's casts as they are usually very informative AND entertaining, because its Dane. Everyone here loves Dane :foreveralone:

I also learned to play CoH by watching casts, but my favourite caster doesnt cast anymore, it was Krebs :megusta:

+1. I miss Krebs, I still watch some of his older vCoH casts... Good Ol' Days.
17 May 2015, 13:29 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

yup forgot to mention informational casters. :foreveralone:
I wouldnt be where I am today without watching the propagandacast everyday. :foreveralone:

Of course you have to put what you see into action,and try to watch the whole thing so you can see what went wrong or what went right to allow whoever won to win.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★