Login

russian armor

Can Relics roadmap resurrect coh2?

4 May 2015, 12:16 PM

The stats you linked prove you wrong actually o_O
4 May 2015, 12:35 PM

You go online at like 9am EU time and there are only 2k players online? what a suprise Keepo
4 May 2015, 12:39 PM

Sorry if its your life, but for most its just a game. You consume it. So I am not negativ, just wondering how much is left and if there will be more to consume.

I guess the majority feels like i feel about your thread. Look the + my post got. And about your argument that this is my life, i could turn it around and say it to you. I would be like this: Get a life and dont bother about a stupid game!

I just wanted to say that its getting old to bash on the game. Just relax and enjoy it if you can, if not, there are plenty of games that are not almost dead (to use your terms).
But if you are sticking around, try not to be negative (yes you are) and enjoy the Game.
4 May 2015, 12:41 PM

still the most popular rts on steam.
4 May 2015, 12:47 PM

I guess the majority feels like i feel about your thread. Look the + my post got. And about your argument that this is my life, i could turn it around and say it to you. I would be like this: Get a life and dont bother about a stupid game!

I just wanted to say that its getting old to bash on the game. Just relax and enjoy it if you can, if not, there are plenty of games that are not almost dead (to use your terms).
But if you are sticking around, try not to be negative (yes you are) and enjoy the Game.

In here it may be old to bash the game but its even older to not be able to read and comprehend :) You totally missed the part with Relics roadmap.
meh
4 May 2015, 12:51 PM

You should consider the weather as well. As Spring has arrived for most people in various parts of the world things change. People come out of hibernation of winter and are spending more time outdoors either doing things, doing chores (Mowing the lawn), visiting friends, and just being outdoors and having a good time doing whatever.

Oh did I mention that GTA V came out recently to PC as well?
4 May 2015, 13:01 PM

In here it may be old to bash the game but its even older to not be able to read and comprehend :) You totally missed the part with Relics roadmap.

I have seen the part with the roadmap but what can i say. Relic will be always Relic, i like the game as it is and i believe there are many others who do like it also in its state. New stuff is always welcome but it is not a must for me. At this point i would love to see a war spoil fix (it is long overdue) and a bugfree game (as it possible can be).
About the Roadmap again, its nice to see that Relic has one. This means, the game will be around for a long time (i hope).
4 May 2015, 13:09 PM
Patrion 14

Am intrigued by WTF CoH3 will be / look like?

SEGA must have it on their own 'road map.'
4 May 2015, 13:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2015, 11:51 AMspajn
Relics biggest mistake is and will always be that they still think that making the game dumbed down so casuals like it is the way to go. Just look up steamcharts and look what are the most popular games... dota2, counter-strike go and LoL being the biggest game outside of steam... all competative games and made most of its design decisions to work as a competative game. Relic on the other hand sees the competative crowd like 2% of its playerbase.

Yeah its true that the truly competative esport players are a tiny part of the playerbase but even casuals enjoy a competative, fair and responsive game even if they themselves are not competing...but i guess Relic will never learn that lesson.

What you say makes sense at first glance, but things are a lot more complicated. Here is the thing:

Hardcore looking competitive multiplayer games are dominant in the PC community, we all know that. And I say competitive looking, because they have a lot of stuff like ladders and tiers and everything which lures a lot of players but only a tiny fraction take it seriously. We've had phenomena like LoL, DoTA2, SC, and of course CS:GO, most of which are Free to play. They control the market, they have a lot of income and HUGE communities.

But from a developer's standpoint, it's not like "Ok guys, let's make a game like that and make millions". Game developing doesn't work like that.

First of all, you need to find your target audience, and understand what they need, what they want and what you can give then with your limited resources, and limited resources is not only about money. Timeframe, experience, policies, management, publishers and many other factors directly or indirectly influence your development. And financial factors are the most important ones, but money doesn't solve everything (I bet you can count a lot of games which have cost a lot of money but turned out to be failures)

In this case, let's talk about CoH series and Relic, here is what I think (keep in mind that I'm not criticizing nor praising Relic, I'm just sharing my thought as an Indie developer and 3D designer)

Relic is a small studio, with many talented individuals who have created many good games. After all these years, they've found their target audience, they know what they want, what they need and what Relic can get them. They are very good at making Casual RTS games. They make these kind of games and they earn money. So, we can't expect them to enter the "Competitive RTS market" with a few balance tweaks and gameplay re-designs.

But I think I know what's going on when they try to enter the competitive market.
Game developing costs money, and even when your game is released you have to pay your employees, taxes, R&D etc. So you always have to be in motion, you should always be developing something that pays off. That's why we see games like Call of Duty are developed and released in light speed. Huge income, repetitive mechanics and low maintenance costs. And since creating a new game from scratch is very costly, we see Remastered versions or Reboots of older games a lot these days. Do not underestimate the cost of pre-production.

This also applied to Relic. They should have income or they go bankrupt. So they have to chose the most cost efficient business model, which is releasing commanders, new "payed" content almost every year or this "supply system" which people have found in the game files we now nothing about

All that being said, Relic decided to promote their currently available and finished project (with all of its technical and gameplay issues) through competitive play. They are not expecting their games to grow big as games like SC or DoTA2 because both they and their audience know that this game is not competitive material. I think that they are going though all these ESL partnership merely to promote their game as it is right now, and temp us to buy more factions, commanders "supply", User Generated Content, making it F2P and milk customers or other things that might come up later

Bottom line, there is not lesson for Relic to learn here. They know their game is not Competitive material for a lot of reasons and they know their audience, they know that CoH2 is not competitive and if you change it in a way to be competitive, what remains can not be called CoH2 anymore. They just want to promote CoH2 as it is.

PS: Understanding a fast developing and evolving market like the Video Game market is hard, and managers should make difficult decisions. I just hope they don't destroy the game. I also have limited knowledge in this area and what I've said was just my own experience and the result of studying the market a bit.

Truly sorry for the long post. I just wanted to point out that AAA Game Developing has a lot of aspects and decision makings are not as easy as they look.
Here is a potato:

4 May 2015, 13:22 PM

Road map was just a bunch of ideas.
Great that they have ideas, too bad those ideas are not followed by any actions. [i know they're preparing new faction, but new content is not priority, when old content is bugged]

Does Relic do anything else besides coh? Like any other game?
Cause if the don't. I seriously don't know what they are spending their time on.

6 months waiting for a patch is kinda joke, especially that change log is so short.
4 May 2015, 13:23 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2015, 11:51 AMspajn
Relics biggest mistake is and will always be that they still think that making the game dumbed down so casuals like it is the way to go.

It's probably just as well you don't work in game development.

Just look up steamcharts and look what are the most popular games... dota2, counter-strike go and LoL being the biggest game outside of steam... all competative games and made most of its design decisions to work as a competative game. Relic on the other hand sees the competative crowd like 2% of its playerbase.

It is less than 2% of the player-base, and easily the most entitled and noisiest 2% And, in other news (with regards to CS / DOTA etc) apples taste very different from oranges.

Yeah its true that the truly competative esport players are a tiny part of the playerbase

Glad you get that.

but even casuals enjoy a competative, fair and responsive game even if they themselves are not competing

Would love you to expand on this point because I don't really get it. Are you saying us untermensch love games where we get to fawn over the two per cent who know how to play?

I've got news for you - we don't.
4 May 2015, 13:34 PM

It is less than 2% of the player-base, and easily the most entitled and noisiest 2% And, in other news (with regards to CS / DOTA etc) apples taste very different from oranges.

Glad you get that.

Would love you to expand on this point because I don't really get it. Are you saying us untermensch love games where we get to fawn over the two per cent who know how to play?

Sorry dude but the games that right now are the most popular and sucessful are the games that focus heavily on the competitive/esports side of things. LoL, CS:GO, Dota 2 are the most popular games right now and it's definately not because they are suited for casuals. Infact they are extremelly difficult to learn and play well.

Time has shown that the games that focus around competition are the most popular, sucesful games that are enjoyed by everyone.

Its honestly quite stupid what you are saying here because the most annoying thing for people that play this game at a high level is the high influence of RNG (vehicle crits, plane crashes), yet these things also annoy pretty much everyone else.
Nobody likes losing a game because of bad RNG.

Also at the OP i find it completely ridiciluos what you are saying because right now coh 2 playernumbers are very high compared to pre WFA numbers.

4 May 2015, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2015, 13:34 PMBurts

Also at the OP i find it completely ridiciluos what you are saying because right now coh 2 playernumbers are very high compared to pre WFA numbers.

What one might think is a good number of players is of course relative. Its good that YOU find the number of players "very high" despite that its very low.
4 May 2015, 14:32 PM

What one might think is a good number of players is of course relative. Its good that YOU find the number of players "very high" despite that its very low.

It's not very high but compared to what it was some time ago its pretty high. So by coh 2 standarts is high.
4 May 2015, 14:53 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2015, 13:34 PMBurts

Its honestly quite stupid what you are saying here because the most annoying thing for people that play this game at a high level is the high influence of RNG (vehicle crits, plane crashes), yet these things also annoy pretty much everyone else.

RNG doesn't overly trouble me TBH. I couldn't really care less what 2 per cent of the player base thinks.
4 May 2015, 15:00 PM

RNG doesn't overly trouble me TBH. I couldn't really care less what 2 per cent of the player base thinks.

RNG ruining games is not the opinion of this "arbitrary" 2 percent. It's pretty much everyones opinion. Have fun being the 1% :snfPeter:

Oh, and by the way, i'm not talking about that RNG needs to be completely removed, im just saying that a couple things should be done. Tanks should be made more consistent agains inf, maybe arty too, remove plane crashes and fix vehicle crits.
4 May 2015, 15:08 PM

Such a pointless, useless thread. I am so tired of this guys who can only contribute negativity to this game!

Thank you. +1
4 May 2015, 15:09 PM

RNG affects everyone equally, it's just more bullshit in competitive games were skill is important.

A plane crash wiping out an army at rank 300 or at 10 is still bullshit no matter what.
4 May 2015, 15:17 PM
Donator 11

Glad you get that.

kk i can say most people i have seen tried out coh2 who dont give a shit about competing or improving but just wants to play some teamgames with friends to have fun instantly dislikes unfair rng, unresponsive units and lack of meaningful unit choices/tech choices.. all which is a critical part of competitive gameplay. But you are probably not even a casual player.. most likely a forum dweller or compstomper so i could not care less about your opinion about things way above your head.
4 May 2015, 15:22 PM

Coh2 is doing perfectly fine right now, as far as im aware of it.

Balance isnt perfect, but its playable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 853
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak