Login

russian armor

Can Relics roadmap resurrect coh2?

4 May 2015, 08:28 AM

I just started up the game to find 1800 players online, it may be the beginning of the end. I might be just a subjective opinion but the interest in the game is faultering. I dont think that the faultering interest in the game is related to balance this time. My guess its more related to the lack of new content.
Here are som stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/231430

Do you guys think that something in Relics roadmap can resurrect this soon to be dead game? Or should Relic focus on something else? Or is it just natural that Coh2s time is over?

Here is the roadmap: http://www.coh2.org/topic/32944/relic-s-roadmap
4 May 2015, 08:40 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Well it isn't unusual that at the times you logged in there are fewer players. The majority of the players is European and most of them are probably at work or in school atm (just like me).

I at least hope the Roadmap can improve something. There are some things I read about mod tools which make me have a boner of hope and personally I see the improvement in communication as a good sign!
4 May 2015, 08:42 AM

There's too little communication, too much left undone, too much that has been done isn't enough and too much that hasn't needed to be done.

I think the sheer lack of communication is the killer. I wasn't interested in WFA when it was announced, but I was still excited about new content.

I love CoH2, no strategy game out there does what it does. But a whole bunch of things are coming together make things worse, Lack of communication as above, the community, the rampant fanboyism (which I'm a part of admittedly), the sometimes ridiculous decisions made by the balance team on what they will and won't change. Silly game mechanics left untouched since launch. All of it is piling up and I think its too late to turn it around. Unless they actually show us meaningful footage/gameplay/information, soon and regularly, even just a unit preview or something, I doubt the community's interest will be reengaged. I'd like to think Relic will learn a lesson from this, but I'm not sure they will.
4 May 2015, 08:45 AM

It looks quite normal to me. It has been like that (and worse) the whole existence. Also a bit better but not by far.

So in my opinion nothing to worry. At one point when the peak players per month was like 5k, I was following that chart quite much but now I don't even look at that. As long as I can find games, I'm fine.

4 May 2015, 08:51 AM

A long time passed since they released new mp content. No new commanders. People get bored.

4 May 2015, 08:53 AM
Benefactor 3110

Hi i do not know, if the player numbers will stay that low, but i do not think, that the roadmap will change anything. Maybe it is a good thing even: Coh2 was not unsuccesfull and i still like to play it (it is still the only game i play actually), but honestly they tried a few new things and not everything worked out. Maybe with a new engine and more commitement to competitive playing and more depth coh3 will be what i wished coh2 to be - one of the best games ever made.

Until then i play every evening my one game coh2 (and on weekdays even 2-3 ;) )

PS: Coh2 is never dead
4 May 2015, 08:57 AM

I just started up the game to find 1800 players online, it may be the beginning of the end. I might be just a subjective opinion but the interest in the game is faultering. I dont think that the faultering interest in the game is related to balance this time. My guess its more related to the lack of new content.

Do you guys think that something in Relics roadmap can resurrect this soon to be dead game? Or should Relic focus on something else? Or is it just natural that Coh2s time is over?

New content is not the issue, it is the current content that is the problem. The current content is not refined, it is buggy and the balance for units, commanders and maps isn't terrible but could be better.

The lack of a proper in game laddering and rank system is another reason.

Pumping endless new content into a game makes quick money but doesn't necessarily lead to long term profit.

Please read the spoiler about player numbers.

4 May 2015, 09:22 AM

Such a pointless, useless thread. I am so tired of this guys who can only contribute negativity to this game!
4 May 2015, 09:43 AM
Patrion 14

I'm pretty happy with the state the game is in now. Could be better, but surely its not crappy.

Mostly when I play there are 5000/6000 players online.
4 May 2015, 10:23 AM

It's monday and 10 am in Europe, what do you expect?
Usually the player count is about 4.500 - 6000 which is not bad for a game that's already two years out.
With upcoming releases and free weekends the playerbase will rise again.
4 May 2015, 10:29 AM

Such a pointless, useless thread. I am so tired of this guys who can only contribute negativity to this game!

Just wanted to say this. Coh2 does not need resurrection.
4 May 2015, 10:55 AM

There has been no multiplayer content added in months and people get bored and move on. Once UKF is released there will be a huge spike. No need to worry.
4 May 2015, 11:14 AM
Patrion 14

One single datapoint is neither indicative nor adequate to make any sort of statement on how popular coh2 (the trend in this case) still is.

If one looks at the player numbers over time, it becomes evident that the player numbers slightly decreased since the last sale but it is still rather stable at above 5k peak and below 2k (both slightly higher for weekends).

Please find the source for these statements provided below.

https://steamdb.info/app/231430/graphs/
4 May 2015, 11:17 AM

Sorry if its your life, but for most its just a game. You consume it. So I am not negativ, just wondering how much is left and if there will be more to consume.
4 May 2015, 11:21 AM

boner of hope
:snfBarton:

On-topic: It's possible but the slow progress may mean it will take quite some time to reach there. Possibly in the 3rd-4th year. ;)
4 May 2015, 11:21 AM

Permanently Banned
I dont play now, becouse relic optimization in game are very good (kill my laptop), need say thanks them for that. Some of my friends dont play becouse bugs, problem with balance, optimization, no new stuff in game and OP relic politic vs community. And imo people leave the game. I am very disappointed in relic and how fast thay are.
4 May 2015, 11:37 AM

+1
4 May 2015, 11:44 AM

This +1
4 May 2015, 11:51 AM
Patrion 28

looking at the month over month statistics is interesting.

do i think relic is going to turn the game around and generate a phenomenon? no for a lot of reasons, some having to due with relic, some having to do with the way trends work.
4 May 2015, 11:51 AM
Donator 11

Relics biggest mistake is and will always be that they still think that making the game dumbed down so casuals like it is the way to go. Just look up steamcharts and look what are the most popular games... dota2, counter-strike go and LoL being the biggest game outside of steam... all competative games and made most of its design decisions to work as a competative game. Relic on the other hand sees the competative crowd like 2% of its playerbase.

Yeah its true that the truly competative esport players are a tiny part of the playerbase but even casuals enjoy a competative, fair and responsive game even if they themselves are not competing...but i guess Relic will never learn that lesson.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★