Login

russian armor

Passive Defenses

20 Apr 2015, 20:28 PM
Donator 11

Damn m8, I can't say a bad word about grid keys, I think at my noobish levels of play I have those fractions of seconds to look at the status bar :snfBarton:...

Well, when i play Sim City, eh OKW in 3v3+, so do i, but otherwise you're screwed by muscle memory. :P

I have considered doing an 'Art of Defence" Guide because a lot of people use defences very badly...
Like going to the North VP on Steppes and camping the munitions whilst building a great wall of wire and sandbags.

Kinda funny, i do the exact same... on the mid / south.

I think a well scaling guide would be good. Mini-wiring on 1v1-2v2, how to lock down flanks in 2v2+, etc...
20 Apr 2015, 20:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I feel like most of them are fine...but I would like sandbags/sandbag walls being able to take just one more medium tank hit. They really feel like a giant waste of time once mediums hit the field since any attack-moving tank will break them by accident.
20 Apr 2015, 20:35 PM

Defenses are not present in many factions, are time consuming to set up, usually easily destroyed, and some are even locked behind commanders.
20 Apr 2015, 20:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 20:28 PMkamk

Kinda funny, i do the exact same... on the mid / south.

Which is good, because fuel wins matches

SOP on Steppes is two each fuel, or go 3 to island.

Then lock down whatever you take

It's not just a matter of knowing how to defend something, it's knowing why it needs to be defended...

20 Apr 2015, 21:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

the north vp on ettelbruck is always funny at the start
20 Apr 2015, 21:54 PM

Offence is the best defence, unless you like when opponent bombs the shit out of you.
20 Apr 2015, 22:59 PM

Problem with passive defenses is their stupid low health imo
You can destroy an entire system of tank traps in like 20 seconds,when it takes you 3 minutes to set it up to where it'll actually effect anything

+1

Sandbags and tank traps take far too long to set up compared to the amount of time it takes to destroy them. It isn't uncommon to spend 30+ seconds erecting some sandbags only for those same sandbags to be destroyed the very first engagement using them.
21 Apr 2015, 00:55 AM

Quickly becomes a WWI battle with men charging across no mans land.:D

After one of these matches with Spiky, we decided that Sim City was a wholly inappropriate name for what Spiky does. It is called Spiky Town, with Mayor Spiky. It's not just infantry charging to their doom, I've seen up to 6 or 7 Panthers and above charge into Spiky Town and get turned back by the "No Dogs or Nazi's" signs.

I've tried it, then decided it isn't for me. USF fighting positions go down really fast, sand bags also, tank traps last a little longer but take forever to put up. The best use that I've found for tank traps is to give green cover for weapon crews. If I can get a USF teammate to make some for a 120mm mortar squad, it will survive a Walking Stuka attack with up to 3 surviving models (the mortar might need some repairing).
21 Apr 2015, 01:54 AM

Have you ever seen Romeo doing RE spam? Tank traps aren't a passive defence, they're an active weapon to use against Kubelwagens :snfPeter:
21 Apr 2015, 04:04 AM

tank traps needs to reduce build time by 40-50% and barb wire needs to reduce build time by 20%.

currently it takes about ~12 secs to build 1 tank trap, and 4 secs for a row of barbwire. Its a complete waste of time for 1 RE or CE just to setup all this stuff and get destroyed in pass 15min mark
21 Apr 2015, 07:53 AM

I have considered doing an 'Art of Defence" Guide because a lot of people use defences very badly

1) Not building them at all

2) Building too many of them and in the wrong places

3) Leaving and relying on them to stop an enemy cold by themselves

4) Camping behind them

Like going to the North VP on Steppes and camping the munitions whilst building a great wall of wire and sandbags.

You then 4v3 his teammates on the fuel, ignore him and kill him last

We do need a good Defensive Theory guide, if people knew how to use them properly games would be more interesting.
21 Apr 2015, 08:29 AM

They take far to long to build and get to fast destroyed!
21 Apr 2015, 09:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge

We do need a good Defensive Theory guide, if people knew how to use them properly games would be more interesting.

Ok, I shall add it to my pipeline

Thanks to those that expressed interest
21 Apr 2015, 09:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2015, 00:55 AMGrumpy

After one of these matches with Spiky, we decided that Sim City was a wholly inappropriate name for what Spiky does. It is called Spiky Town, with Mayor Spiky. It's not just infantry charging to their doom, I've seen up to 6 or 7 Panthers and above charge into Spiky Town and get turned back by the "No Dogs or Nazi's" signs.

I now refer to it as "Spikygrad"

It's a horrible mix of mines, demos, tank traps, sandbags and everything else.

I've seen so many sandbags put down that Falls cant get out of the house they spawned in.

21 Apr 2015, 09:21 AM

I've seen so many sandbags put down that Falls cant get out of the house they spawned in.

Sounds like a defense guide by him would be a great read. :)
21 Apr 2015, 09:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

He was going to be my Go-To guy when we get around to doing Soviet Defensive Commander Guide; however he is working a lot now and doesn't post here very much

However, I shall see what can be done
21 Apr 2015, 09:54 AM

Like this? :P

21 Apr 2015, 10:01 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes
21 Apr 2015, 13:44 PM

I've seen that, it's hilarious. I'll look to see if I saved the replay.
21 Apr 2015, 17:01 PM

because if defenses were worthwhile everyone would complain about sim city and turtling. Isnt that usually how it works with RTS games?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★