Should Reward Units make a come-back?
Option Distribution Votes
41%
41%
19%
Total votes: 27
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
24 Feb 2015, 18:54 PM

I think a really cool and underused implement has been ToV's reward units. Each of the four factions received 2 extra vehicles that could get swapped into the load-out by removing another. It allowed you to augment and tailor your non-doctrinal force to better suit your personal strategy and play style.

Now some would say that since we have commander load-outs in CoH2 we can already customize our force pretty well going into a game but...let's face it, commanders rule this game, partly because the tiers are just not attractive/rewarding in their current state and partly because they offer the only way of surprising your opponent.

Balance patches are fine when and if(!) they come along but they are not going to comprehensively change the tier buildings into something very different from what they are now so...maybe if for instance the Ost Panzer IV could be replaced with a Hetzer (think something between the M10 and the JP4 in armour/health) it could make Ost T3 very effective with Ostwinds tackling infantry while protected with light/medium TDs, but they would lose out on the all-around medium tank.

How about replacing the SU-85 with a KV-85? It would be far more expensive, have the armour of a KV-1 with the output of a T-34/85, and could be a non-doc heavy that would balance out Soviet call-in reliance. The Soviets sacrifice their go-to TD in return.

These are just some ideas but you get the picture. You have to lose something to gain something else and this in combination with your commander can offer more synergy and exciting new strategies.
24 Feb 2015, 18:57 PM
Coder Red Badge

CoH2 doesn't need more units, it needs more non-unit options. It's not a lack of units that's the problem, it's a lack of a second dimension of strategic decision-making beyond units.
24 Feb 2015, 23:10 PM

Well if Stag hounds and Roos are anything to go by. NO. Even the hotch kiss was only good when spammed. So again a bit naff
25 Feb 2015, 00:16 AM

"the tiers are just not attractive/rewarding in their current state"

care to elaborate?
25 Feb 2015, 01:34 AM

"the tiers are just not attractive/rewarding in their current state"

care to elaborate?

What, you don't know about how fruitless Ost/Soviet T3 is in general right now? How it's much, much safer to spam call-ins than commit resources to late game tech/units? You need to catch up.
25 Feb 2015, 02:26 AM

What, you don't know about how fruitless Ost/Soviet T3 is in general right now? How it's much, much safer to spam call-ins than commit resources to late game tech/units? You need to catch up.

I don't understand the statement you're making when you cite the lack of "safety" of T3 and then go on to talk about "commit[ting] resources to late game tech/units". I don't get the point you're trying to make.
25 Feb 2015, 02:36 AM

I don't understand the statement you're making when you cite the lack of "safety" of T3 and then go on to talk about "commit[ting] resources to late game tech/units". I don't get the point you're trying to make.

Can someone help me out here? Maybe someone who teaches grammar too?

The meta revolves around the commanders for the most part. Not P4s, not 76s, not even SU-85s or Brummbars or...list goes on. You have to plan to countering Tigers/IS-2s/KV tanks because that is what people are doing with their resources as Ost/Soviets.

Even USF is super commander dependent with the Dozer and vet rifles being needed crutches. OKW isn't nearly as bad as everyone else because they have a non doc heavy tank and all sorts of effective counters in their trucks.
25 Feb 2015, 02:52 AM

Can someone help me out here? Maybe someone who teaches grammar too?

The meta revolves around the commanders for the most part. Not P4s, not 76s, not even SU-85s or Brummbars or...list goes on. You have to plan to countering Tigers/IS-2s/KV tanks because that is what people are doing with their resources as Ost/Soviets.

Even USF is super commander dependent with the Dozer and vet rifles being needed crutches. OKW isn't nearly as bad as everyone else because they have a non doc heavy tank and all sorts of effective counters in their trucks.

So, let me get this straight: it sounds like your issue is the perceived effectiveness of non-doctrinal units, and you want to solve this issue by, swapping them out for other units. Have I got that right?
25 Feb 2015, 02:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Feb 2015, 02:48 AMInverse
It's even funnier because the statement he made was actually 100% grammatically correct.

I still don't know when to punctuate inside or out of parenthesis. :(
25 Feb 2015, 03:02 AM

So, let me get this straight: it sounds like your issue is the perceived effectiveness of non-doctrinal units, and you want to solve this issue by, swapping them out for other units. Have I got that right?

Let me straighten you out: you are attempting to trivialize my suggestion by 1) suggesting that any and all problems with the late game non-doc is simply my perception and therefore not actually true and by b) simplifying the idea to the point where it sounds aimless and silly.

These tactics are tired and unconstructive but it seems like you had a mission to derail the thread and you are succeeding so...bravo.
25 Feb 2015, 03:06 AM
Coder Red Badge

He was just asking you to clarify a vague statement in your post, no need to get all defensive :D
25 Feb 2015, 03:09 AM

Please. It was so vague because 14 people participated in the poll not knowing what the hell I was talking about.
25 Feb 2015, 03:13 AM
Coder Red Badge

the tiers are just not attractive/rewarding in their current state

That's a fairly vague statement to make without providing the reasoning behind it. Asking for clarification is entirely appropriate.
25 Feb 2015, 03:19 AM

And I did clarify, and well enough for anyone that actively plays the game to get where i'm coming from. When the person asks for clarification on my clarification...frankly, text dialogue interpretations being what they are...it comes across as trollish, and given the history of such behavior around here I think the response was hardly inappropriate.

Seriously to call someone a dick over that...it makes me feel like you haven't been sensitized to how discussions usually go in some of these threads or what kinds of tones members use with each other.
25 Feb 2015, 04:06 AM

Erm, no... I wanted to enter the discussion... hence my posting...

I wanted you to actually state your position and why you think so, instead of essentially saying: if you played the game you'd understand. I can't give a reasonable response without that premise first being set... because just saying something is useless doesn't make it so.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★