Login

russian armor

Community Patch to Relic

18 Feb 2015, 21:19 PM

Do you think it would be possible to have the coh2 community work together to create a patch that we could hand over to Relic? I know we have many people in the coh2 community that have a programming background. The patch could be approved by the whole community before we sent it over to Relic. Historical accuracy and balance could be a benefit to the community as a whole. I know everyone would love to see the bug fixes that we could accomplish. This would be like a prototype we could hand over to Relic that the community agrees on and has approved.

This would be a community patch, not one person's work. A shared work. We would have people test it and post bugs. We could brainstorm solutions to issues within the game. We would have a main patch. Different programmers could try community brainstormed solutions with the main patch. They would upload it and the community could give feed back to his/her solution and then we could decide as a whole if we wanted to add it to be part of the main patch.

It is very common for a community patch/mod to be made into official patches by the developers, I.E. Relic.

What do you guys think?
18 Feb 2015, 21:23 PM

Kappatch. People are stupid, Cruzz is smart.
18 Feb 2015, 21:30 PM
Coder Red Badge

Won't happen, for a lot of reasons. The best you can hope for is for the developers to reach out to a group of top players and put together a collaborative patch based on their input. They did that back a few years ago when Taylor Fales put together the CoH1 2.602 patch on a private forum on GR with a dozen or so top players and it turned out to be the best patch in CoH1's history. Unfortunately, I don't see Relic doing something like that again given their current situation and the direction they've decided to take CoH2.
18 Feb 2015, 21:33 PM
Patrion 14

Kappatch. People are stupid, Cruzz is smart.

+1
18 Feb 2015, 21:33 PM

This type of patch would be something that would take some time to put something together and would involve the whole community.
18 Feb 2015, 21:36 PM
Donator 11

Kappatch is going into a great direction. But what it needs is a strong player base.

The main thing stopping it from that at the moment is the lack of a match search function for mods.

But maybe theres someone in the community that can put together a Lobby that can bring together willing Kappatchplayers?

That would allow Kappatchto grow to the size it earns.

Greetz
18 Feb 2015, 21:38 PM
Benefactor 340

Kapapatch or somehting they did with the amazin COH 1 Patch. both would probably help.

Kappapatch would be a short term hot fix. Adjusting Balance with Good Players would help more long term.

EDIT: ANd Relic FIX SPAM with a Blobauro, that increases Received Accuracy of Blbbed up units. Thanks.
18 Feb 2015, 21:39 PM

Someone should post this on /r/companyofheroes telling them relic is going to make a patch based on their recommendations. Then we can all reconvene to laugh at their ideas. I am not a nice person.
18 Feb 2015, 21:40 PM
Benefactor 115

not gonna happen
18 Feb 2015, 21:44 PM

This type of patch would be something that would take some time to put something together and would involve the whole community.

Cruzz proves you wrong. I'm 100% sure that his patch is better than what we have atm even though it's far from perfect.
18 Feb 2015, 21:45 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Kappapatch is a great mod, don't get me wrong but it lacks credibility. And let's be honest, Kappapatch won't change a thing with the current build because it's made by one person so Relic will never patch it. However, if the community is working together on a prototype (and of course Kappapatch will influence this because it is obviously good and Cruzz is part of the community), that'll give it much more credibility.

We could even seperate diffrent topics like bugs, balance, factions and assign it to diffrent groups with members leading them that know what they talk about. Lots of good ideas. We are simply suggesting Relic what we would like to change.

Would be nice to know if Relic would be interested in that offer. I would definitely be up for it.
18 Feb 2015, 21:48 PM
Coder Red Badge

Involving the entire community is a terrible idea because most of the community has no idea what they're talking about. You need to define a target gameplay level and seek out individuals within that gameplay level for feedback, and you need a strong voice guiding the discussion and defining boundaries. The best-case scenario, then, is a Relic-selected pool of top players that are able to provide focused feedback on changes.

Ultimately, this won't happen unless Relic initiates it, and given Relic's current priorities I doubt it's something they're willing to do.
18 Feb 2015, 21:48 PM

Developers taking patches/mods from community and making them official is actually quite common in the modern games Industry, no reason why Relic shouldn't do it. Although I do think the Kappatch needs some more testing and refinement.
18 Feb 2015, 21:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2015, 21:44 PMGiaA

Cruzz proves you wrong. I'm 100% sure that his patch is better than what we have atm even though it's far from perfect.

Cruzz is one person in the community. Why would Relic take one person's work seriously? We need the community as a whole to put something together and bring it to Relic after all the work has been done.
18 Feb 2015, 21:55 PM

Cruzz is one person in the community. Why would Relic take one person's work seriously? We need the community as a whole to put something together and bring it to Relic after all the work has been done.

No. Just...no.
18 Feb 2015, 21:57 PM

Developers taking patches/mods from community and making them official is actually quite common in the modern games Industry, no reason why Relic shouldn't do it. Although I do think the Kappatch needs some more testing and refinement.

This is completely true. It is VERY common that community patches/mods have been made official patches. This would have brainstorming to make solutions to issues that arise within the game. Yes, some people have no idea how to fix problems. Some people here would have great ideas and they could be tried, tested, and approved by the community to then be added to the patch as a whole.
18 Feb 2015, 22:02 PM

Great idea but this won't happen. The QA process that community maps go through is strenuous and I can't see how Relic would be able to get enough resources to go through an entire community made patch. The best approach would be getting them to take a community patch and maybe...just maybe...get it onto their Closed Alpha or Open Beta servers to test out. It is such a long shot.
18 Feb 2015, 22:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

they can better spend the QA process on their own maps imo :D
18 Feb 2015, 22:18 PM

Do we have gotten to the point where we need to make our own balance patches and beg Relic to atleast implement something of it because they wont do shit on their own?

Im 100% sure that a balance patch is in the works and that they might stall it for march to release it with new commanders. But i wouldnt expect too much.
18 Feb 2015, 22:18 PM

As Inverse said, most people in this community have no idea about balance. If they involved the whole community there would never be an agreement on anything because of cluelessness, fanboyism, trolling etc
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★